RichDF - Ranger-apprentice signing up for action...

richdf

This is my 2nd challenge, and my first in the Ranger guild. After completing my first challenge amongst the amazing Adventures, I have decided that I am now ready to try to become a Ranger.

Starting Stats: STR=7.5, DEX=5, STA=4, CON=5, WIS=4, CHA=3

I'm a 34, married, with 2 kids (5 & 2). I have been eating 90%+ Primally since this January, and have been following some form of weight training since then also. I followed the Angry Bird Workout until the end of May, where I switched to a modified version of Steve's Advanced Body Weight Workout. At the end of June, I purchased the Rebel Strength Guide and followed the Body Weight Brigade section (Rank 1).

In the time frame of this 6 week challenge, I am hoping to complete Rank 2 of the Body Weight Brigade. I'm not going to divulge much info into, or provide updates for, anything from the Rebel Strength Guide, as I would not want to take anything away from Mr Kamb and his income :) (I will say that I have found it to be a really useful guide, and I feel it's definitely worth the money!)

In addition to the above, I will aim to complete the following goals, which I can talk about, and I can track improvements during the challenge:

Challenge Goals:

Diet

When I changed my life for the better in January, I was exercising lots, and eating healthy, but with ever shrinking portion sizes. As a consequence, my weight had dropped to 140 lbs (I'm 6 feet tall) and I had better muscle definition due to my lower body fat percentage, but looked skinny. When I read
, I looked at my diet and realised that I was
way
under with my calorie intake. Since then I have been trying to increase my daily calories to around 3000 in order to reach the ideal weight for my height, which is around 180 lbs (today, I'm 147.6 lb). Therefore, my diet based goal is to ensure I am reaching my calorie/protein targets daily, and that I track everything properly on-line, as I tend to fail at weekends at present. (
N.B.
I don't have any deadlines for my weight gain, or any weight-related goal for the end of the 6 weeks - it will happen in it's own time!!
) -
WIS+2/CON+1

Fitness

My 1st fitness goal is to get out on my mountain bike at least once a week, for at least half an hour (or 5 miles, depending on the route). I found through my last challenge that I was enjoying my cycling sessions, but that I was making them less of a priority than my weight training. I have got time to do both, and I am hoping to reap the benefits. -
DEX+2/STA+1

My 2nd fitness challenge is to perform a hand-stand press-up. Currently, I can walk my feet up a wall into a handstand position (but probably at a 30 deg angle) and from there, I am able to unlock my elbows, lower myself about an inch max, before pushing back up to locked elbows. By the end of the challenge, I would love to be able to perform at least 2 HS press-ups using perfect form (to show that it's not a fluke!). I imagine I will still be using a wall, but will be more vertical. -
STR+3/CHA+1/STA+1

Life

In the last challenge, Mini Challenge #6 was to take on a personal weakness & CRUSH it! I decided that mine was to
that I have been storing, on the belief that it really would be useful someday... To level up my life, my challenge is to continue with the work accomplished for MC#6, and really move toward being a none-hoarder.

In these 6 weeks, I shall attempt to go through all the rooms of the house, (and the out-house - eek) and sell, give away, or throw away anything that I don't need, or is of no significance any more.

Currently, throwing things out is a 2 step process for me. Stuff gets bagged up, and move out into the garage. Then, from there, I make very infrequent trips to the tip to clear the garage out. The result - a garage full of junk, and not much usable space. So, in addition to just clearing out the house, I will be keeping on top of clearing the junk out of the garage too! -
WIS+4

I will update tomorrow night with my current measurements and starting photos (there, I've said it now, so there's no going back!) so that I can monitor my improvements & achievements.

I'm really looking forward to this challenge, and to becoming a fully-fledged Ranger.

Good luck everyone :)

Rich

L3 (Pending) Half-Elf Ranger
STR :: 9 | DEX :: 6 | STA :: 6 | CON :: 6 | WIS :: 10 | CHA :: 3.5

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.

Thanks!

As promised here are my starting measures & pictures.

[table=width: 200]

[/td]

[td]cm

Neck

Chest

Waist

Hips

Bicep

(relaxed/flexed)

25/28

Forearm

(relaxed/flexed)

24.5/25.5

Thigh

Calf

[/table]

Rich%20CH2%201.png[ATTACH=CONFIG]4965[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4966[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4967[/ATTACH] (apologies for the blatant T-shirt tan...)

post-5380-13567244624829_thumb.jpg

post-5380-13567244624912_thumb.jpg

post-5380-13567244651158_thumb.jpg

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Rich! good to see you again! I'm loving the mountain bike goal too! Its my favorite way to get around! I cant wait to get back to school where I'm in a city so I can use it more. Glad we both made it to the rangers! look forward to keeping up with you!

“Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.â€
- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

STR 3 CON 2 STA 3 DEX 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

Log http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22111-elefevers-log/

Tonight, I was pleasantly surprised with my performance doing the BW Brigade workout (Rank 2, workout A for those with the Rebel strength guide:)). I need to work on my form on 1 exercise, but it will come in time.

I have tracked all food successfully today, finishing up with 3001 calories.

So far, so good...

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Rich! good to see you again! I'm loving the mountain bike goal too! Its my favorite way to get around! I cant wait to get back to school where I'm in a city so I can use it more. Glad we both made it to the rangers! look forward to keeping up with you!

Hey Eric, it feels good to be back in challenge mode once again! I took the full week off, and didn't know what to do with my time (spent it mostly watching the olympics!)

I must admit, I feel slightly under-qualified to be a ranger reading through some other challenges here, but I know that I will improve in time.

I had seen you on some posts, but hadn't tracked you down yet - these pages fill up fast! It's late here now, so I'll catch up some more tomorrow.

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Good Luck Rich. Rooting for you from the Adventurers' camp! You're going to smash it! Soon you'll have abs of steel that'll make us all blush :)

I love the mountain bike challenge - i love mountain biking - and if i'm not mistaken there are some nice trails around where you stay? Also i totally admire the HS push up goal. Maybe you should also do normal pushups to build the upper body strength in between.

As for your de-cluttering: I can't be more excited about this (for you and your OH). I have never been able to live in clutter and making and sticking goals is so easy when there isn't stuff cluttering your life :) I'm holding thumbs for you and can't wait to see the progress you've made.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Good luck with your goals! I'm hoping to build up to a handstand push-up one day myself. I had it as a goal in my last challenge, but didn't follow through. I was going to use the tutorial from Beast Skills (NF approved) to gear up.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Good Luck Rich. Rooting for you from the Adventurers' camp! You're going to smash it! Soon you'll have abs of steel that'll make us all blush :)

I love the mountain bike challenge - i love mountain biking - and if i'm not mistaken there are some nice trails around where you stay? Also i totally admire the HS push up goal. Maybe you should also do normal pushups to build the upper body strength in between.

As for your de-cluttering: I can't be more excited about this (for you and your OH). I have never been able to live in clutter and making and sticking goals is so easy when there isn't stuff cluttering your life :) I'm holding thumbs for you and can't wait to see the progress you've made.

Ha ha, thanks :)

I'm right on the edge of Sherwood forest, so there's plenty of trails that are only a short drive away, as long as I don't run into a band of merry men...

Definitely still working on all body weight workouts, but wanted to create new, interesting goals - aim high!

I wasn't going to, but now I'm going to go round my house tonight and create a "Beginning to De-clutter" portfolio. I doubt it will ever see the light of day (not just yet anyway:hopelessness:) but it will be interesting to to see how much progress I can make.

I was fascinated by your SCIO test - WOW. When I get round to creating a bucket-list, getting a SCIO test will be on there...

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Good luck with your goals! I'm hoping to build up to a handstand push-up one day myself. I had it as a goal in my last challenge, but didn't follow through. I was going to use the tutorial from Beast Skills (NF approved) to gear up.

Thanks for the link, that will be most useful!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Today was a non-workout day for me (workout MWF) so decided to take advantage of the fair weather we had today and tackle the meadow that used to be my back garden. 45 mins hand-shearing grass - DONE! Garden waste gets emptied tomorrow, & if forecast is correct, it should be fair this weekend, so I'm hoping to get the garden presentable once again on Sunday (we've got a day trip out on Saturday).

I'm planning on getting out on my bike on Thursday evening.

I've just managed to finish today with 3068 calories, but had to whip up a last minute cheese omelette & large glass of milk to do so, as I was lagging behind - oops!!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Ha ha, thanks :)

I'm right on the edge of Sherwood forest, so there's plenty of trails that are only a short drive away, as long as I don't run into a band of merry men...

ermagherd, Sherwood Forest!! I am sure that if you do encounter the merry men, they'll just egg you on while wearing their tights and singing jolly songs :)

I wasn't going to, but now I'm going to go round my house tonight and create a "Beginning to De-clutter" portfolio. I doubt it will ever see the light of day (not just yet anyway:hopelessness:) but it will be interesting to to see how much progress I can make.

Ah, come on share! It will make you more accountable. You don't have to tell us what you're getting rid of etc, but just a plan. Also de-cluttering the garden - good going!

I was fascinated by your SCIO test - WOW. When I get round to creating a bucket-list, getting a SCIO test will be on there...

I was totally blown away by this test. It's actually called a Quantum something or other, i just remember the name of the machine which was a SCIO reader or something

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

You hand shear your grass?? Like with a mowing scythe?

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

@rocketmama - Thank you! :)

@AngelBlaidd - LOL! Photo's have been taken, but they are staying under wraps, at least until half way through the challenge - I'll happily post before, and improved/during shots as a compare & contrast! Don't worry, they are motivational enough... I'm going through each pic, and choosing at least 1 significant thing to sell,donate,or trash each week. I'll re-do each picture weekly, until I'm happy with how my home looks (and how much bigger, I'm sure!).

@elefevers - What? doesn't everyone? You mean there's another way??;) I only use shears when the grass is too long for the mower to work on it (it's around 15" is places at the mo) - it's a really good chest & arm workout too! - my mower will keep short grass neat, but tends to get tangled in the more challenging of lawns! I was chatting to my Dad about it last week... I think I might now be getting a petrol mower for Christmas... :)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Today has been quite successful - I've had a really good day (always helps!), had a delicious tea (Baked Mustard Lime Chicken, courtesy of my lovely OH!), and have performed better than I expected in my BW Brigade (Rank 2, Workout B) too!

Still got to find another 800 calories from somewhere... (bring on the nuts, bananas, etc!)

I'm off to shift some hoard into the garage, ready for a trip to the tip at the weekend :)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

@elefevers - What? doesn't everyone? You mean there's another way??;) I only use shears when the grass is too long for the mower to work on it (it's around 15" is places at the mo) - it's a really good chest & arm workout too! - my mower will keep short grass neat, but tends to get tangled in the more challenging of lawns! I was chatting to my Dad about it last week... I think I might now be getting a petrol mower for Christmas... :)

I love it! environmentally friendly too! I can't imagine mowing my yard by hand... it would take ages. Glad to hear you had a good workout too! Whats the tip??

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

It's not the quickest form of grass cutting - it's taken me 4 sessions so far, and I'm about 85% done!! I might have to invest in a sheep...

Ah, the good old transatlantic language barrier... The tip - I think you'd call it the dump (it's actually a massive recycling place, where they take all waste and sort it into massive containers for disposal/recycling/etc.). You type tomato, I type tomato...! :)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Quick round up for today:

Got out on my bike tonight, and covered 5.2 miles in 31m:19s, with plenty of hills, and a few sprints.

Full stats as follows (Copied from MyTracks)

Total distance: 8.36 km (5.2 mi)

Moving time: 31:19

Average moving speed: 16.02 km/h (10.0 mi/h)

Max speed: 32.45 km/h (20.2 mi/h)

Max elevation: 131 m (431 ft)

Min elevation: 101 m (331 ft)

Elevation gain: 83 m (272 ft)

Max grade: 3 %

Min grade: -5 %

Recorded: 09/08/2012 19:16

I've finished today at 3014 Calories (& I managed to end yesterday with 3019).

All in all, I've had a great day :)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

It's not the quickest form of grass cutting - it's taken me 4 sessions so far, and I'm about 85% done!! I might have to invest in a sheep...

While you do get the advantage of free fertilizer from the sheep, the methane production from all that ruminating can be bad for the environment. I'm currently using a rabbit-it's the greener option. My energizer bunny mower just keeps going and going... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Here's my run down on happenings since Thursday...

Friday

Added an extra set of both pull ups & press ups to successfully complete Mini Challenge #1, which was good, especially as I had spent a couple of hours out doing yard work earlier in the day.

Saturday - Went to London (Duration 06:45 - 21:45)

The whole family went & did the whole tourist thing - thought it would be manic, being mid-Olympics, but the atmosphere was fantastic & there were happy people everywhere enjoying another rare sunny day. Also, we managed to get upgraded to Fast-Track onto the London Eye by a friendly ticket inspector - Bonus!

I spent the whole day carrying a rucksack of provisions, and walked loads. As it turned out, the crammed underground is so much more fun with 2 small offspring in tow :)

Sunday

1st trip to the tip - completed. There's now a lot more room in the garage to keep moving "stuff" in to. It's a bit of a slow start to de-hoarding, but it is always at the front of my mind, and I'm constantly assessing things in each room. This is a very good thing, as I have the ability to put things to the back of my mind, where they can remain stealthy, never to be seen (or thought about) again...

Sunday evening was "Closing Ceremony & Cider" - Massive congrats to all nations, especially UK (best result since 1908) & US (100+ medals = awesome!!). Job well done & I'm very proud to be British at the mo! :D

Last weeks Nutrition:

Average Calories = 2997/3100 :(

Close, but no cigar. I was doing great reaching the magic 3000-3100 figure, but was let down Sun, where I fell 160 calories short, even with the Cidre!

Average Protein = 1197/1050

Loads of chicken & eggs all week helped cover an unexpected <100g protein shortfall on Saturday :)

I'll post tonight's workout later on, plus it's week 2 weigh-in and measure...

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

I'm currently using a rabbit-it's the greener option. My energizer bunny mower just keeps going and going... :)

Love this! Although, you don't get the potential side produce of wool from a rabbit...

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

1st trip to the tip - completed.

YAY! This is such good news! Well done! There's less "stuff" and i'm thrilled. You've gotten over that initial hump that so many struggle with - getting rid of it. They have a tendency just to move things around :) Looking forward to more Tip Trips :D

My challenge

YAY! This is such good news! Well done! There's less "stuff" and i'm thrilled. You've gotten over that initial hump that so many struggle with - getting rid of it. They have a tendency just to move things around :) Looking forward to more Tip Trips :D

Thanks for the support! It does feel good to know that I'm actually doing it, rather than still planning on thinking about maybe doing something, one day... :)

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

I found tonight's workout tough, but I have managed to successfully increase my reps in all exercises. I've found my thighs get really tight after squats & lunges, so have been performing this stretch which virtually eliminates all thigh aches :)

Finished eating today after managing to eat 3013 calories, and I weighed in tonight at 148.4 lb, which is 0.8 lb in the right direction. I should be gaining around 1 lb per week consuming this many calories, so I'm happy with that!

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines