RBW's First Challenge

Let us get this party started.

Some information I have to lay down first: I am leaving the country at the beginning of September. I do not yet know if I will have internet access at all where I'm going, much less consistent internet access. So, I may have to make my participation in this challenge informal. But I'm still going to do it.

Fitness Goals:

1. Yoga EVERY SINGLE DAY. Seriously, even if it's just my 10-minute daily stretches. I have no excuse to miss a day. It's already improving my flexibility and balance.

Grade: A - no misses; B - one miss; C - two misses, D - three misses

Reward: +3 Dex, +1 Wis

2. Kick up to 30-second handstand. I can currently do 3 seconds off a wall. I don't think I'm expecting too much of myself here.

Grade: A - kick up, 30 seconds; B - kick up and 15 seconds or wall and 30; C - kick up and 10 seconds or wall and 15; D kick up and 5 seconds or wall and 10

Reward: +2 Str, +1 Sta, +1 Dex

3. 5 pull-ups. I can do almost one right now. I need to find something I can pull up on (my pull-up bar came without necessary screws), but I'm sure I'll manage

Grade: A - five pull-ups; B - four; C - two; D - one

Reward: +2 Str, +2 Sta

Life Goal:

Practice Japanese MINIMUM 30 minutes per day (with a single exception that I absolutely must plan for). Seriously, I'm going in a month. I'm good for my practice level, but my practice level is TOO LOW.

Grade: A - no misses; B - one miss; C - two misses, D - three misses

Reward: +1 Wis, +2 Cha

And now for my PLAN OF ATTACK

My daily commitments are obvious. My plan is to do them. Every day. I have time. That is undoubted. I just need to DO it.

My handstand-building is fairly straightforward. Wall handstands, upper body exercises in my bodyweight routine, and yoga hand balances are my tools. They are working already (I've been at it a few days).

The trick here is pull-ups. Without access to a pull-up bar, I must improvise. Open doors are out because SHARP EDGES OW. I'm currently looking for things to do inverted rows with. I'm always up for any suggestions on this front!

And now for some photos!

august51.jpgaugust53.jpgaugust52.jpg

I know 6 weeks isn't much, but I think we'll be seeing a little improvement, at least.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

These look like some awesome goals! I wish you the best of luck with them!

I've a couple of ideas for you about pull ups and inverted rows.

For the inverted rows maybe a broom across 2 chairs?

Have you thought about using a towel to make it easier to do pull ups?

I've nabbed some screen shots from the book "You Are Your Own Gym" to show what I mean, and you can find those here.

I've not tried to do pull ups on a door with a towel yet, but hopefully it'll be helpful in some way :)

And of course there are always tree branches!

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Day 1:

Wow.

So, today, I got called in to work again after I left because somebody didn't show up. So, yeah, surprise extra 3 hours of work. And they were brutal.

Obviously, when I got home, I totally did my workout and yoga. Set myself a record for crow stance, too (4 slow breaths, basically double my previous record). And I'm about to study my Japanese.

Starting off unstoppable.

Alright, guys, I've decided how I'm going to break this down. Major updates will go in this thread, but my daily stuff is going to be kept to my blog on this site, including daily photos of me. Feel welcome to check it all out!

Or maybe I could just blog my posts here and do both daily. Idunno.

Anyway, 6-breath crow stance today, a marked improvement over yesterday's 4-breath. Super-special awesome!

Haha. So that daily blog thing totally didn't happen. Yeah, posting my progress has been really low on my priorities lately. Between lots of work and actually doing my challenge, plus trying to have a social life and eat right, it's fallen by the wayside. But, hey, here's an update.

Alright, so, I started doing bodyweight circuits today. I'm trying to figure out how I can do inverted rows, but my household equipment is totally wrong for it, so I'm settling for dumbbell rows for the time being (it's not enough. I can tell it's not enough. But it's more than nothing). Other than that, it's been awesome.

I've kept up my yoga and my Japanese. Am I doing as much of either as I'd like? No. But I'm doing enough to satisfy my challenge, and I'm hoping that once I get those days of non-work, I'll be able to really get into them.

Also, today, I held crow pose for over 20 seconds (about 23, technically). That post above from 5 days ago? It says about 12 seconds (1 breath = 2 seconds, almost exactly). WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT CONSISTENT PRACTICE PRODUCED IMPROVEMENT.

I don't know why I can hold it for longer after a workout than on non-workout days. But now I have a new record to beat.

I have to start doing actual handstands daily. Crow pose is good, but it's not a handstand.

Pull-up building tomorrow.

Haven't updated this in waaaaay too long.

So, a couple days ago, I missed my yoga. Didn't do any. And you know why?

Because when I was preparing to do it, I didn't feel up to doing much. I figured I could do a little, but then I realized that I would just be half-assing it. And you know what? I realized that I would rather miss a day, lose a grade on my challenge, and mess up my goal, instead of coming to accept that doing something half-assed is the same thing as doing it.

On the plus side, when I did my regular yoga the next day, I felt fantastic. Every pose just felt easier and better than ever. Maybe I needed a break!

Because "good enough" is not the same thing as "good".

Pull-up and handstand goals are coming along slightly miserably. Still can't do one pull-up, still can't hold a free handstand. I realize I didn't start properly building them until a week ago, but it still feels kinda awful. Oh, well. Next time, when I want something, I will educate myself about it better.

Guess what BAMF just did a palm-forward pull-up.

(And also a one-handed pull-up, but that's neither here nor there)

I think I can improve it to 3 by the end of next week.

I know we're coming up on the last week and I'm much further from my goals than would make it even possible to get an A in ANY of them. It took mistakes to learn what I was doing wrong. Do I have results? Yes. They are maybe smaller than I'd hoped, but they are results. And now I know how to improve on them.

Also, I totally tanked on my Japanese study once I arrived in Japan. I've been using Japanese, but not actual study. I think I have to give myself a failing grade on this one, and try to figure out how to organize my study materials. Maybe get some that I don't need to be online to use, because my internet time is highly inconsistent. LEARN FROM MISTAKES, THAT'S WHAT THE BRAIN IS DESIGNED FOR.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines