Bench, Eat, Run, Sleep (B.Ea.R.S)

bgvanbur

Starting Stats:

STR: 10, DEX: 11, STA: 15, CON: 3, WIS: 6, CHA: 5

Bench Press Goal:

Bench 135 pounds twice in a row.

Been at 115 x 5 for a few months now. Need to break the plateau. Working on grease the groove.

+4 STR

Eating Goal:

Three plate diet every day, no snacks.

Challenges will be family reunion and house moving days.

I lost 85 pounds in six months, but switching to a more of a maintenance diet has been hard and I even gained 5 pounds in the last two weeks.

+4 CON

Penalised 1 CON for every 2 bad days.

Running Goal:

Run, hike or walk outside for at least 20 minutes 42 times.

Each session must be separated by at least two hours (so can have morning, lunch break, and evening workout, but really want to target at least one a day).

Tired of being in the air conditioning (work, sleep, etc) so I want to be out in the warmth of summer.

+2 DEX +1 STA

Sleeping Goal:

Be in bed by 10:00 every night.

Going to bed late lately, and then I skip morning workouts.

+4 CHA

Penalised 1 CHA for every 3 hours cumulative over.

Unofficial Goal:

Even when get busy, keep posting on my thread here. Seems while I wasn't posting as often, I wasn't as focused on my goals. I love this site and it was a huge part of my initial weight loss. I want it to still continue to be a large part of my improving my life.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

When trying to grade myself for my last challenge, I was unsure of how to calculate my diet goal failure. So I decided to make the grading easier by putting in the metrics to win. The bench press and running are easy to grade since I know the start and target and can use a linear scale for the grade. The diet and sleep I wanted to specify how the grading would occur so it would be clear and cut.

I started good. Went to bed at 9:50 last night and went for a 5k run and 1 mile walk this morning. Ate a good breakfast and packed a good lunch and planning a lunch break walk.

Thanks for the nagging offer! :)

Another good day. Diet was on track yesterday and today so far. I did my light bench press set a couple times yesterday morning and once this morning, keeping it light since tomorrow will mostly be a strong lift day. Went to bed at 9:30 last night. Ran 5k this morning followed by a 1 mile cool down walk.

Starting Stats:

Even when get busy, keep posting on my thread here. Seems while I wasn't posting as often, I wasn't as focused on my goals. I love this site and it was a huge part of my initial weight loss. I want it to still continue to be a large part of my improving my life.

Unofficial or not, this is a great goal. I know I didn't do as well with that as I could have during the last two challenges, and you're right, it does make a big difference. I would also like to sign up for the nagging service! :)

Current Challenge: Roocifer's Eat and Run Challenge | Fitocracy

Level 2 Scout: STR: 4.25 | DEX: 8.75 | STA: 8.75 | CON: 6 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.75

I feel my boots trying to leave the ground, I feel my heart pumping hard, I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing, as though I had wings. - Mary Oliver

Thanks, I will be sure to make sure you are posting often too :)

Another good day. Still on track for diet, went to bed at exactly 10:00 (cutting it too close, need to start heading to bed before since some of things I need to do before I actually get in bed can start to add up quickly), and went to the Erie Canal for a 44 minute walk.

Nice job on the weight loss! Great goals and 'grading scale'...

I can relate to the accountability factor of posting and focus...I'll do better along with you...thanks for inspiring!

I can appreciate the desire to get out in the heat and enjoy the summer; it won't be long before it will be time to get out and enjoy the cold ;)

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks. Didn't get to enjoy the cold much last winter so maybe this next one will be better! :)

My life has been kind of hectic the last few days: my wife has been in the ER once per day, we had a housing inspection, the buyers decided to do a radon test which last two days on our house without giving us any warning, my father-in-law keeps working on the house despite the fact I am trying to work from home, the two boys are misbehaving a lot more since our "babysitter" basically ignores them while he plays on the internet and watches tv, and the bank still hasn't written a mortgage commitment letter (but claim the mortgage is approved) so it looks like our closing date will have to move out. As a result, I somehow justified eating a bunch of ice cream sandwiches. Then I read Steve's new article which describes how we justify crap like this to do unhealthy things. It's funny how often his articles apply to the right now in our lives.

Other than yesterday's diet, every thing else is good for my challenge. I went for a run yesterday on the Erie Canal and another walk there today. I got in bed 9:50 and 9:45 the last two nights.

Did good over weekend on diet even though I was travelling and had a family reunion (since others were eating more than three meals a day, I planned ahead and decided at which meals I would eat my three meals for the day). I got in a walk around the bridges in my home town and got to show my boys lots of things from there during it. The night of the family reunion I got to bed at 10:15 (excuse: I lost track of time). Went to the gym this morning and tried 120 pounds bench and did a 4 rep set and 3 rep set, so next time I will try 125 pounds. When I did my PR deadlift of 205 pounds before it felt like my max weight, today that 205 was easier to lift so I should add be able to lift more weight next time.

Week One Summary

Bench - was able to 120 pounds for 4 reps, and my whenever I have a space moment 105 pound bar is getting easier to do 5 reps on throughout the day.

Eat - Had one failure, but got through the challenging week of travelling and family reunion.

Run - Got in 7 runs/walks/hikes, so on track. Want to make more of them runs though.

Sleep - Went to bed 15 minutes late once. This goal is still great to have though since it is really helping me get to bed at a decent time once again.

It is probably pretty easy to catch up with me on bench press, it seems like my arm pushing strength doesn't make the same big gains as the other lifts. Perhaps it is because I have had a bench press setup in my basement for 2 years and would occasionally bench on it even when I was out of shape, so I started off already past the noobie gains stage.

Diet was on track, but my desert was a bit bigger than it needed to be. Went to bed at 9:45 last night. Had a 59 minute run on the Erie Canal this morning (I keep starting at the last point I stopped so I am re-exploring a different part each time).

Time to plank again!

A diet failure yesterday (extra snacks after dinner). Did a few sets 105x5 benching (and some planking). Went to bed at 9:50. Ran 3 miles this morning and a 0.4 mile walk.

It is probably pretty easy to catch up with me on bench press, it seems like my arm pushing strength doesn't make the same big gains as the other lifts. Perhaps it is because I have had a bench press setup in my basement for 2 years and would occasionally bench on it even when I was out of shape, so I started off already past the noobie gains stage.

Same here, although my upper body has always been hard to develop. Great work on the 105, I'll see what I can put down...err..up...Thursday night

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Same here, although my upper body has always been hard to develop. Great work on the 105, I'll see what I can put down...err..up...Thursday night

105 is my middle of the road set for greasing the groove. Gets my heart rate pumped, the last rep or two are little challenging but it doesn't completely destroy my muscles so I can do it several times a day. Good luck on putting up the weight tonight!

I have been stuck at a max of 115x5 since April 11th. Last week I did 120x4. Well today, I decided to stick to my home gym and try 127. The first rep was easier than I thought so I stopped and loaded more weight to 137 pounds. I did a set of 1! Then, I did a set of 2! And another set of 2! Then I did another set of 2 and the second rep took me what seemed like 10 seconds so I figured it was quitting time. Did the other lifts to complete my workout. I finish the bench portion of this challenge and set a new PR (in college I could bench 125 but could never lift 135 which is why the 135 was my goal). For the remainder of this challenge I want to increase the reps of 135 to 5. Diet was good yesterday. Went to bed at 9:55.

Great job on the PR!

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

Thanks.

Yesterday I did a lunch time walk. I kept on my diet. Played some video games (tournament fighters, golden axe, streets of rage). Went to bed at 9:50. Did another walk on the Erie Canal this morning. Did a set of 1x135 of the bench and I can still do it :) Just so hard to let those muscles rest since I am excited about jumping, or benching, this hurdle. But I will give the bench and presses a rest until Monday.

Diet failure yesterday (ate half a tub of Buffalo Bills ice cream during the preseason game). Got in bed just in time at 9:59. Still have half the preseason game on the DVR to watch this weekend. Decided spur of the moment to do a 1 mile run and try for a PR. And I *explicative* smashed it. Went from 7:28 (in May) to 6:45 (today). My legs didn't feel anything but my heart raced and my breathing was super hard. Went for a mile walk cool down, my heart was still racing after that walk. Guess I need to work more on sprints so my cardio system won't be my weak point.

Its crazy, our closing date is still uncertain, if everything goes on time it could be next Friday as originally estimated. That is only 7 days away and they can't even give us a firm date, ugh. Had to bring various paperwork to the mortgage coordinator twice yesterday. So stressful.

Went for a trail walk yesterday afternoon. Diet failure again yesterday (was tempted by extra food at wife's friends picnic, the cake at the baby shower I picked her up at, and crashed on a late night snack of ice cream). Went to bed at 9:50. Went for a trail run early this morning (I was scaring all the deer). Went for walk with the boys and dog this afternoon on the Erie Canal.

Yesterday, I did a set of "137" with 5 reps. Then I was looking at the barbell and realized it was only 132. So this morning I added on another 5 and did two real sets of 137 with 2 reps. Diet was good yesterday. Went to bed at 9:55 yesterday (was really hard to put down 50 Shades Of Grey). No walk this morning since my wife needed some cuddling. Going to try for a lunch time short walk (since working from home today can talk boys and/or dog too).

Week Two Goal Update

Bench - achieved the 135x2 goal. Working towards 135x5 and beyond.

Eat - Had four failures total. Had three failure last week. Really need to work on this. Staying on my super strict was easy, the rules made it easy to say no to indulgent foods. Trying to have those as part a desert for a meal, then I crave them and eat extra of them afterwards.

Run - Got in 15 runs/walks/hikes total. I did an extra one this week above the weekly required average, and would like to keep doing that each week.

Sleep - Went to bed 15 minutes late once. Did perfect last week. Having this goal really helped motivate me to put down the laptop and/or book.

The boys, dog and I did a walk after lunch yesterday. Did more sets of 137x2 benching. Another diet failure yesterday (damn cookies on the counter). Got to bed a minute late at 10:01 (at least my wife finally played TMNT Hyperstone Heist with me). Went for an 3 mile walk this morning. Boys mentioned they want to go for another lunch time walk so that will be nice to get an extra one in :)

My 137 pounds barbell. I need to start looking for heavier plates since I running out of room at the end of my favorite barbell. Or maybe get an olympic size barbell with 45s and other plates :)

137nn.jpg

Diet was good yesterday. Didn't go for that second walk yesterday since the boys Grandpa came out and took them for a walk instead. Went to bed at 9:59. Went lifting this morning. Did 135x5, 135x3, and 135x2. So nice to be able to lift the big plates (45x2 with a 45 bar). Set a PR deadlifting of of 215, then again with 225. Tried 235 but only got it up an inch before failing. Rest of the workout was blah and quick, my mind wasn't really focused on it.

We are having a baby boy! Found out yesterday at the anatomical ultrasound. So three boys now.

New house closing might be Friday, or Saturday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday. Only two days away and they don't even know an exact date yet, ugh.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines