Luna be nimble, Luna be quick....

Lunararya3116

Hey everyone, Luna here to take on my first Nerd Fitness challenge! Feeling super pumped and excited. I am going to kick butt! :D A little bit about me, I am a 26 year old student who is about to go back to school to finally finish my degree. Just in case you were curious I am double majoring in Biology and psychology. School is starting in roughly 2.5 weeks. I recently got engaged, so as you can imagine I need to get my butt in shape. Since joining nerd fitness, I have gone full paleo, and I have lost a total of 16 pounds, and 2 pant sizes. I recently also completed my fist Whole 30 challenge, and in fact I never really stopped doing it. I have adopted the Whole 30 way of living and I feel great. One of my goals has always been to run a marathon, and I am currently training for that as we speak, my goals is to be able to complete a 5k and a half marathon before the year is over. My long term goals is to lose 43 pounds, and to improve my overall body shape.

For this challenge, here are my goals:

Fitness goals:

1. To run a mile in 10 minutes or less. I am currently between 10 minutes 10 seconds and 10 minutes 30 seconds.

2. To complete 5 pushups in proper form. We are talking full-on pushups, not girl pushups.

3. To complete 42 sit-ups in proper form. Currently I am able to do 21 sit-ups.

Life goal:

To eliminate frivolous, idle or entertainment-only usage of electronics past 9:30pm each night, roughly an hour before bed so I can get better sleep, and so I can spend quality personal time for myself (writing, reading, relaxing) and with my fiance.

I plan to tackle these goals with the following plan of attack:

1. To achieve goal one, I will: Continue with my current running routine 3-4 days a week, and also incorporate other forms of cardio including the stairmaster, and stationary bike.

2. To achieve goal two, I will: I will begin strengthening my upper body by attempting pushups daily and in addition I will incorporate exercises that strain, and improve my triceps, and pectoral muscles.

3. To achieve goal three, I will: Alternate daily between working my frontal ab muscles, and my side ab muscles.

In addition to all of this, I am going to be following the Whole 30 lifestyle for the duration of this challenge. :D

I think I am also going to be doing my first 5k, The Dirty Dash. I am still undecided, but I am super excited about it, and I REALLY want to do it. However, I am afraid I am going to be the last one to finish and I will feel like an idiot. :(

dirty-dash1.jpg

I will let you guys know if I decide to do it. With that said, here I go to conquer and kick butt!

Good luck to everyone joining the 6 week challenge! We can do it.

Welcome! It seems like you have some well thought out goals and a solid plan of attack. And that 5k looks awesome, I think you should do it! Usually races like that are all about just having fun with it and finishing, not necessarily about doing so quickly, and the race environment I'm sure will be fun and supportive. Maybe ask a friend to run it with you if you are still nervous? I ran the warrior dash last summer with my roommate and it was definitely nice to have someone to share my suffering with during the tougher parts of the course (and it was also a ton of fun).

Level 2 Scout[sTR 3] [DEX 7] [sTA 7] [CON 3] [WIS 3] [CHA 5]Current Challenge: Keeping it Simple"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." 

You should sign up for the race. First it looks awesome, and secondly don't worry about finishing last because you are finishing ahead of all the people sitting at home doing nothing!

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

Welcome! It seems like you have some well thought out goals and a solid plan of attack. And that 5k looks awesome, I think you should do it! Usually races like that are all about just having fun with it and finishing, not necessarily about doing so quickly, and the race environment I'm sure will be fun and supportive. Maybe ask a friend to run it with you if you are still nervous? I ran the warrior dash last summer with my roommate and it was definitely nice to have someone to share my suffering with during the tougher parts of the course (and it was also a ton of fun).

Thank you, Simba! I do have a friend who has a group and they are all doing it. All I have to do is join them! :D Wow, I just looked up the warrior dash, it looks like a blast. Congrats on doing that!

Welcome! I love your goals and that you've planned out your attack. Good luck!

Thank you so much, Citabean! Here I go to kick butt!

You should sign up for the race. First it looks awesome, and secondly don't worry about finishing last because you are finishing ahead of all the people sitting at home doing nothing!

My friend has done it for the last 2 years and she loves it. We discussed it a little more last night, and after our conversation I have decided I am going for it. What the heck right?! :D

It is the 22nd of September so it is going to be after this challenge is over, but I figure one of my other goals was to do a 5k before the end of the year!

Thank you guys for the encouragement. You guys rock! :D

YAY! It's my first challenge too! Congrats on getting engaged and congrats on going back to school. I'm going back to school as well in about 2.5 weeks. LoL I'm getting ready to do my Masters.

Reading before bed is an awesome idea, I try to do it as often as possible.

Good luck!!!

Happy. Dreamer. Runner. Teacher. Fighter. Girl.

My journey for the juju.

KellyElizabeth's First Challenge Thread

YAY! It's my first challenge too! Congrats on getting engaged and congrats on going back to school. I'm going back to school as well in about 2.5 weeks. LoL I'm getting ready to do my Masters.

Reading before bed is an awesome idea, I try to do it as often as possible.

Good luck!!!

Thank you, KellyElizabeth. I love your avy! :D I wish that they had the Disney run thing where I live. I have read about it and it looks awesome. I am definitely going to go for reading/writing. I used to do it all the time, and then I got hooked on electronics. I definitely do not want to be hooked to my phone, so here I go back to my old ways.

Your masters huh? Wow, congrats. :D

Wheeeeeeee! Just signed up for this race! :D

Ahhh so jealous! I've wanted to do a color run for so long, they look like an absolutely fantastic time! Make sure you tell us all about it!

Level 2 Scout[sTR 3] [DEX 7] [sTA 7] [CON 3] [WIS 3] [CHA 5]Current Challenge: Keeping it Simple"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." 

Ahhh so jealous! I've wanted to do a color run for so long, they look like an absolutely fantastic time! Make sure you tell us all about it!

Will do, Simba! I am super stoked. I was so bummed because I missed a similar one earlier this year, I had no idea this was even going. Thank you, Facebook...for once. Lol. :D

Day 1 of 6 week challenge:

Feeling pretty good today! Rough day at work, and I went to the bookstore to get my first books. All I got was my Biology textbook and the lab manual and I spent 160 bucks, mind you they are USED books. Sheesh. I am definitely glad I have a three day work week this week, we are going camping with my fiancees family and I am happy about that. I love camping. Nature, fishing! :D

Food Log:

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs, and one small avocado.

Dinner: 4oz grilled Halibut, 4oz grilled King salmon, 1.5 cups of steamed kale, and .5 cups of butternut squash.

Exercise:

1) 3 miles, 34 minutes.

2) 1.5 mile walk with my fiancee. 25 minutes.

3) Wheeeee! I managed to do 25 sit-ups today! Only 17 left till I reach my goal!

Not doing so hot when it comes to pushups today, I attempted a full blown one and I could barely lift myself because my arms are so sore from attempting them for 30 minutes yesterday. I just did some other arm exercises.

Water: 100 oz.

For later tonight, I am still on board with doing some reading. :D I have like 10 books I have started and need to finish. I am about to start The Hobbit, and A Game of Thrones book one of A song of Ice and Fire.

I am also in the middle of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, Primal Blueprint, and It Starts with Food.

Yeah, clearly I have enough to do. I am planning to finish at least one of these books in the next 6 weeks. :D

Day 2 of 6 week challenge:

Running a little late tonight as we are packing and getting everything ready for the camping trip. I have to admit I have been feeling a little stressed lately which is not a good thing, I am really hoping getting away for a few days will help. I am probably going to be gone, but I am definitely going to be logging in a lot of miles, and I will update my progress as soon as I can.

Food Log:

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs with one small avocado.

Dinner: 1 cup spaghetti squash with about 8oz shrimp.

Snack: 1/2 cup cherries.

Exercise:

Biking, 10.06 miles, 45 minutes.

Water: 120oz.

I'll stalk you there too :D

Good idea for the colour run! It looks messy (I wouldn't want to clean up the street after that :P) but it also looks so fun! And nice goals overall, it took me 4 weeks to be able to do one push-up (wall push-ups -> knee push-ups -> Push-ups) >_< But when you can do one, numbers piles quickly (well, relatively. I can do 14 in my good days now) so I know you'll be able to do it!

Will you up your calorie income to get ready for the run? I'd say your daily income is under 1000 kcal (800 for yesterday maybe?) , if the estimated numbers are right, it's too low for someone who intend to run 5km.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Those runs look fun! Do your best and you've already won. I recently read a short book 'Death, Taxes, and Pushups' by Ted Skup...this guy does 1000 push ups a day every day for over 20 years. He goes through starting out at zero push ups to working up to 1000 a day. It's not the best read, but it's short, to the point, and the content is excellent. It has gotten me doing 100 push ups every other day. Keep at it!

I'm with Nuala on the food front...maybe add some fruit on your run days especially if you feel tired. I try to eat more good carbs on run days and it seems to help with my energy...and I have been able to lose weight (at least when I stick to healthy eating). Apples and pears are great and help me to feel full. Oranges are awesome on hot days. I'm not sure how this would fit in with Whole30, it's likely OK with paleo.

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey guys! :) I hope you guys have been well.

Nuala: I'm not sure yet, I mean I am fully aware of the fact that runners require more calories, and trust me I am not trying to starve myself, I just don't eat a lot. I listen to my body when I'm hungry and I eat or drink water depending on what I need. I exercise and go through my day feeling energetic, even after my exercise.

It's a little frustrating because I almost feel like I have to force myself to eat, which kind of goes against paleo. I get plenty of good fats, I figured that was enough!

Those runs look fun! Do your best and you've already won. I recently read a short book 'Death, Taxes, and Pushups' by Ted Skup...this guy does 1000 push ups a day every day for over 20 years. He goes through starting out at zero push ups to working up to 1000 a day. It's not the best read, but it's short, to the point, and the content is excellent. It has gotten me doing 100 push ups every other day. Keep at it!

I'm with Nuala on the food front...maybe add some fruit on your run days especially if you feel tired. I try to eat more good carbs on run days and it seems to help with my energy...and I have been able to lose weight (at least when I stick to healthy eating). Apples and pears are great and help me to feel full. Oranges are awesome on hot days. I'm not sure how this would fit in with Whole30, it's likely OK with paleo.

Thanks for the post, and the book suggestion. I'm going to look into it. :D

Congrats on the pushups! I know with time I will be there too.

Day 3 of 6 week challenge:

Food log:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 small avocado.

Lunch: 1 grass fed hamburger, butter lettuce was used instead of bread. 1 piece of bacon.

Dinner: 1 small steak.

Exercise: 4 mile run, 42 minutes total.

28 sit-ups.

Arm exercises.

Day 3 of 6 week challenge:

Food log:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 small avocado.

Lunch: 1 grass fed hamburger, butter lettuce was used instead of bread. 1 piece of bacon.

Dinner: 1 small steak.

Exercise: 4 mile run, 42 minutes total.

28 sit-ups.

Arm exercises.

Yeah, I know you're not trying to starve yourself :D But it would be a pity to get hurt while running just because you didn't eat enough calories. What about changing some of your usual food with some more caloric ones? You would technically eat the same amount so you won't feel stuffed but you could get closer to a higher amount of calories (I don't know how much iyou are supposed to consume to be frank, apparently mine is 1400 minimum and I agree, sometimes it's not easy to reach. At least I have dairies on my side hmmmmmmmmmmmm cheese <3)

And lettuce burger sounds good. I have yet to go to the butcher this week, maybe I'll buy some meat to do one too!

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Day 4 of 6 week challenge:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs made with coconut oil, half of a small avocado and 1/4 of a small steak. (Leftovers)

Snack: Handful of cherries.

Dinner: 4 sauteed organic chicken thighs with sauteed spinach and tomatoes.

Water: 120 oz.

Exercise: 5 mile hike about 1 hr 25 mins.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines