Kuiken's 6-wk Challenge #1-Need for Speed!

Kuiken

Week 4-day 23

1. Ate a lot of veggies and meat today-loved it!

2. No running.

3. Rocked my Angry Birds weights along with some extra bent over rows, negatives, bench press, and ab workout. I tried a pull up before the workout and was able to get 2/3's up! Soon...

4. Did my lessons only in the morning and actually had to look up some English words to figure out what the Afrikaans lessons were saying. I never knew there was a difference between bed covers and duvets-it was a very educational lesson. Elke dag ek leer bietjie meer!

So overall it was a nice day, I was feeling great UNTIL-archery practice. For whatever reason my stomach was like "forget archery, let's go back to being violently ill!" and I pretty much had no say in this. It was a...messy...drive home. But the husband cleaned it up and told me that if that's all the mess I made being sick in the car, I could be sick in his car anytime. If we ever renew our vows, that's going in the new ones.

I stopped being violently ill about 1am and things have been pretty quite since then-I decided to skip Wednesday's workout and spent the whole day sleeping and eating toast. Let's see how tomorrow goes...

Highlight of the Day:

Getting 2/3's up on my pull up! It was from a wooden beam, so I didn't have the greatest of grips, but still-it was a fabulous feeling! I'm now slightly worried when I actually do manage a full pull up, I'm going to fall because I'll let go of the bar and start waving my hands, shouting "I DID IT!". Note to self-lower back down before beginning celebrations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

(a quick rant, then I shall return to normal and never mention this again)

So tomorrow would have been the end of a weight loss competition I had with 2 girlfriends, but because they did nothing (I think one actually gained weight), they decided to cancel it. I was the clear winner and stood to make R600 (~$70) from winning which I was super excited about because I wanted to buy some new clothes with that money to show off my weight loss. But no. These bitches pulled the "we voted about it and since it's 2 against 1, we decided not to have a final weigh in and just end the competition". A day before the finish line. And I know it's not a ton of money, but it would have at least been a couple pairs of pants, maybe a shirt; plus who doesn't like a reward for their hard work?! And I agreed to two extensions of the deadline, so they had time to get fit, they just didn't bother. But they're basically refusing to acknowledge my success in order not to have to confront their own failure.

I know, I know-I'm fitter and in the long run health is more important, and taking the high road is the way to go, but right now I'm so mad I can't even speak to them because I just want to go Samuel L. Jackson on their asses (and my mom taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything). There's other stuff going wrong today that's probably making this a bigger deal than it should be, but I just feel like RAAWR!

Whatever-I'm going to focus this anger into my hill run today and continue my journey to being the most fantastic me ever. They can stay on Level -10,000 if they want, I've got me some leveling up to do.

Lobsters in a damn bucket people. Don't be a lobster.

/rant

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

Week 4-day 24

Slept and recovered from feeling bad-hopefully the absolute, very last I will hear from this stomach bug!

Week 4-day 25

1. Still leaning on toast a bit as my stomach is recovering, but otherwise a paleo day. Need to start looking for my next cooking adventure...

2. Hill running went well-I mainly focused on maintaining a jog pace up the hill and going slowly down since my energy is still a bit down. Better something than nothing!

3. No weights today!

4. Listened to my lessons twice again and practiced my vocab when I got home; name ALL the objects in the house!

Highlight of the Day:

Beautiful weather and a lovely jog-couldn't ask for more! :D

Week 4-day 26

1. Went out with friends for dinner, but ate clean the rest of the day. Even at dinner, I traded my chips for veg, so not even a super cheat. :)

2. No running today!

3. Did Angry Birds and a few extra weights to push me towards my pull up.

4. Missed lessons due to forgetting my CD in the house-opps! Did make an effort to practice my conversations skills during the day though, so not a total loss.

Highlight of the Day:

Bought some work casual clothes that actually look like adult clothes (ie. not t-shirt and jeans)! Not that there's anything wrong with t-shirt and jeans (totally love that look), but I'm trying to move my school wardrobe towards a more grown-up, professional look. I've done a bit of reading on ways to mix/match things and what colors work with my complexion, so it was pretty cool to be able to apply that and buy some new colors that actually look good on me! AND I got a compliment on my blouse combo when I wore it to dinner that very night! Hells yes people-I did a fashion! Now back to doing science. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

(a quick rant, then I shall return to normal and never mention this again)

So tomorrow would have been the end of a weight loss competition I had with 2 girlfriends, but because they did nothing (I think one actually gained weight), they decided to cancel it. I was the clear winner and stood to make R600 (~$70) from winning which I was super excited about because I wanted to buy some new clothes with that money to show off my weight loss. But no. These bitches pulled the "we voted about it and since it's 2 against 1, we decided not to have a final weigh in and just end the competition". A day before the finish line. And I know it's not a ton of money, but it would have at least been a couple pairs of pants, maybe a shirt; plus who doesn't like a reward for their hard work?! And I agreed to two extensions of the deadline, so they had time to get fit, they just didn't bother. But they're basically refusing to acknowledge my success in order not to have to confront their own failure.

I know, I know-I'm fitter and in the long run health is more important, and taking the high road is the way to go, but right now I'm so mad I can't even speak to them because I just want to go Samuel L. Jackson on their asses (and my mom taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything). There's other stuff going wrong today that's probably making this a bigger deal than it should be, but I just feel like RAAWR!

Whatever-I'm going to focus this anger into my hill run today and continue my journey to being the most fantastic me ever. They can stay on Level -10,000 if they want, I've got me some leveling up to do.

Lobsters in a damn bucket people. Don't be a lobster.

/rant

Rant away feathery friend! I'd be super pissed too! Quite frankly you won and you deserve that money. What bad losers! But you keep on winning!! We're rooting for you! All of us NF superheroes (some of us still in training)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Rant away feathery friend! I'd be super pissed too! Quite frankly you won and you deserve that money. What bad losers! But you keep on winning!! We're rooting for you! All of us NF superheroes (some of us still in training)!
Hahaha-thanks! And we never STOP training, there is no finish line-we just working hard to continue leveling up! I think that mindset helped me get over them being sore losers-that was just the end of ONE challenge for me, I've still got this 6-wk challenge to complete, and then the next, etc... Anyway I'll get back at them soon enough-it's almost bikini season and I just might have the guts (or lack of gut fat) to wear one this year-we'll see :) Nothing like showing off my hard work to make them feel bad about their lack of effort!

Week 4-day 27

1. Ate pretty clean today-the husband a potato, cheese, and biltong casserole thingy so I did have a few potatoes, but not enough to derail me. :)

2. Actually managed to get a run in after riding lessons today! It was only a slow 5km, but better than nothing!

3. No weights!

4. Practiced some conversational Afrikaans with friends-still working on building enough vocab, but I'm getting pretty good at making up new words from my existing vocab :)

Highlight of the Day: Had an extremely awesome riding lesson. Initially I was worried because I stuck with "Sunshine" again-he's a moody and unfortunately smart horse who knows how to do just enough work to get by and makes me use all of my leg power to keep him going (he also likes to kick and nip at the other horses-he's such a winner). But we had a chat before the lesson in which I explained that this shit wasn't going down today-which he promptly ignored once we stepped into the arena. But I kept my cool and just pushed him on and was rewarded when we moved to the jumping arena. Apparently he freaking LOVES to jump, but trotting or cantering in silly patterns-not so much. He made a fatal mistake in showing me that he CAN actually move, when it's something he wants to do-now I'm going to keep pushing him when it's something I want to do. We had another chat after the lesson and I'd like to think he knows his days of naughtiness are drawing to an end and soon we'll be able to work as a team, but his attentiveness might have had something to do with the bag of carrots in my hand. We shall see next time!

Week 4-day 28

REST DAY! I originally had planned for an active rest day, but my body said total rest day, so I listened. It wasn't a difficult decision to make :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

Week 5-day 29

Bah! Today got out of hand quickly! So no workouts to report, Afrikaans lessons skipped, and some bread/pasta was unfortunately into my dinner. Too many unexpected things popping up just smashed my schedule to pieces and I didn't have a chance to get things under control before the next crisis arose. BUT-I had an awesome meeting with a company who might be interested in paying for at least half of my studies and all of the unexpected problems of today were sorted or will be sorted out tomorrow. Highlight of this day I think was that I survived and managed to maintain some control. No I didn't get what I had planned completed, but I did get a lot accomplished and will return to my regularly scheduled program of kicking ass and taking names tomorrow. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

Week 5-day 30

1. Heading back towards paleo/primal eating-I did have toast for breakfast and mash for dinner, but otherwise ate clean and feel so much better for it! Tomorrow should be less hectic, so I'm aiming to try my hand at another paleo dish then!

2. Did speed intervals today, but on the treadmill as I wasn't by the track today. I did 40 mins to make up the difference and didn't feel like it was so bad-will have to see on how it translates to the track next week!

3. No weights today-I've got a bow hunting trip later this week/weekend, so I'm trying to limit my arm work. Walking past the weights at the gym today was terrible-I wanted to go lift so bad!

4. Ugh-I'm getting so slack with my lessons! Must. Listen. To. Tomorrow. MUST.

Highlight of the Day:

I've been working on tuning my bow and playing with the poundage for the last week to prepare for the hunt and today I was FINALLY able to pull 60lbs (the max the bow can go)! I pulled it once and it was much easier than I thought it would be, but too much for me to hunt with (for now). It's back down to 57lbs while I adjust my sights, but WOOOO-60lbs! Feeling buff! :D Added bonus was that I was at a bow shop when this happened and last week the guys there were skeptical that I could even pull 50-when they saw how easily I did it, they were actually the ones pushing me to try 60! So cool to see people change from "but you're just a girl" to "use them muscles girl!".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

Bagh-daily updates are just not happening, but I promise I am actually working out and eating healthy. Well except for last week when I was on a hunting trip, I skipped my arm weights to save those muscles for my bow shooting. But I didn't actually shoot anything, so I'm not sure if I just cancelled myself out.... But I did do weights on Sunday when I was back home to make up for it. AND I tried a pull up today-I got my eyes over the bar!!! SO close! Now I'm super motivated to hit the weights even harder this week to get over those final few inches!

The weekend away was fantastic! I kept to my paleo diet by planning ahead and packing all an entire box full of fruit, veg, nuts, and dried meat. I knew there were going to be lots of chips, crackers, and junk food in general so I made sure to pack alternatives for myself to make it easier to avoid temptation (which totally worked!). I did drink a bit of whiskey, but eh-it was the weekend! :D I was planning to go for a run, but the farm we hunt at has rhinos and they had babies, so running around in the bush wouldn't have been such a hot idea (although it might have improved my speed dramatically...). Mostly I just relaxed, which was relaxing. :)

The hunting was great, even if I didn't get anything. I saw tons of animals and although the one I did want came in, he wisely stayed out of range of my bow. The antelope in question was an eland and it is quite literally a massive beast and will probably be the largest thing I ever shoot with a bow. When the one I wanted came in I almost hyperventilated when I saw how big he was (and he was just a young bull!). But we've both got a year now to put some muscle on before the rematch next season-it's on!

Fun facts:

*Despite their massive size, they can easily clear a 6ft fence in one leap (I had to see that to believe it)!

*Their hooves make a clicking sound when they walk so you can actually hear them approach-so cool.

*They taste pretty much just like beef, with no discernible "gamey" flavor.

OK-I'll stop filling your brain with useless facts now. :)

On to Week 5! I think I'm just going to do a weekly update for this week as I need to catch up on work. But if I miss a workout or slack off (or alternatively something awesome happens in my workouts) you guys will be the first to hear about it!

To keep your motivation up (the challenge is almost over-we're almost there guys!), I give you PSY-Gangnam Style. I know this is old for most of you, but I just discovered it and have been doing those ridiculous dance moves all day-totally counts as cardio. The weird part is, if you look at the English translation, the lyrics are actually quite romantic and not nearly as insane as the video (well some parts don't translate 100%, but you get the idea). I'm not sure if this guy is incredibly talented or insane-wait, maybe those are the same thing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

7976590554_598f71a46d.jpg

rhinos3 by kuiken_meisie, on Flickr

This is from last year's trip. They supplement the rhinos feeding with hay so they can check on them daily and during winter the bush is pretty dead, that's the only reason I'm this close (they associate the farm truck with food and the truck is just off to my left-do not attempt this with wild rhinos!) We're at the farm a lot during the off season as well since it's a great place to relax, so I'm overwhelmed with rhino photos. During this weekend's game drive, I told the ranger that I really wish these rhinos would move so I could get a better picture of another animal and he just told me I was spoiled-LOL. Seriously though-they photobomb everything!

7976624149_7cf9b76e37.jpg

DSC_7591 by kuiken_meisie, on Flickr

But the babies are SOOOO cute!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

Hahaha, super cute rhino's!! Glad they're still around and the stupid poachers (whose genitalia should be chopped off with a nail file i.e. painfully and slowly) haven't taken them out!! YAY!! Also please don't take down an Eland - they're beautiful beasts!! Rather take out a little bokkie instead!!

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

LOL! Yes...yes, that is spoiled. Did you go home and dive into a big pile of money like Scrooge McDuck afterward? :P

Well I WANTED to, but stupid Jeeves left the lock gate open and my rare albino Javanese dolphins got into my money pit and mucked it up. Ugh-stupid dolphins. Life is SO HARD. :-P

Hahaha, super cute rhino's!! Glad they're still around and the stupid poachers (whose genitalia should be chopped off with a nail file i.e. painfully and slowly) haven't taken them out!! YAY!! Also please don't take down an Eland - they're beautiful beasts!! Rather take out a little bokkie instead!!

Seriously-the amount of rhinos poached this year alone is frakin unbelievable! This farm has a serious anti-poaching community; all the farmers know each other and take turns patrolling 24hrs a day (even the farms without rhinos are still have problems with people poaching other game or just doing stupid stuff like shooting their rifle through the fences-who does that crap?!). We were there once when they had an alert go out over a suspicious vehicle and within 10 mins there were a ton of security surrounding the car (fortunately it was just a bewildered driver who had just stopped for a pee break).

I normally take impala (those things breed like rabbits!), but this specific eland has genetic defect that makes him undesirable for breeding and will probably start to make life difficult for him as he gets older (he has a weird kink in his spine-he walks fine now, but I can't imagine that's going to feel nice when he's a massive bull). So far the other bulls have chased him away from the herds so he's not breeding and the cows don't seem to want anything to do with him, but their still worried he might breed as he gets older/more dominate. I'm more of a meat hunter and since you can't eat the horns, so who cares whether it's a trophy or not? :)

Also, small side note, I did a pull up yesterday. Hells. Yes. :D I'm still in disbelief and will be trying again tomorrow to make sure I didn't imagine my chin over the top of the bar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

Cheers for the pull-up! That's no small feat! I hope you made everyone watch and then kissed your guns afterward.

My victory dance was accompanied by a self composed song entitled "My Guns" (sung to the tune of Blackeyed Peas "My Humps").

I drive these curl bros crazy, every other daily,

They see me by the pull up bar, stretching out like I'ma star,

Doin negatives and bent over rows, the weight I use ain't never low,

They say 'Whoa' but I ain't quitin,

So I keep on doing push ups, till I can get more pull ups,

And keep on demonstrating my guns!

My guns, my guns, my guns-to the left and to the right-check 'em out!

Everyone who has witnessed my victory performance has been rendered speechless (I can only assume from awesomeness overload).

6 Week Summary!

1. Last week I made apple chips and beet/walnut salad to complete goal of trying one new paleo recipe a week. I rocked this goal hard (obviously because it was a delicious goal!) and it forced me to try new veggies and practice my cooking skills. Wicked cool. A, +1 CON

2. My next 5km race is 25 Sept, but it will be the same course as the one I did initially so the best to compare against. Will report next week on this goal (hopefully positive!).

3. Did a pull up. Going to do more. I'm in love (sorry husband!). A, +1 STR

4. Illness and funky moods got in the way of my lessons. Plus trying to do lessons 5xweek hits a problem if you miss a few days (you can listen to it twice in a day to make it up, but probably not as effective). Still I did get into a pretty steady routine of doing my lessons every morning, along with practicing in real life conversations and on here, so I'll call it a B, 0.75 WIS Hopefully the habit sticks!

End Stats:

BW: 62kg (start 64.5kg)

BF: ~22% (start ~26%)

Hot digggity dog! I lost weight AND body fat! Overall this was a really awesome challenge; it fantastic having goals to work towards and seeing my progress versus my previous strategy of "I want to be #kgs". But the absolute best part of this challenge was the support, advice, hi-fives, jokes, and general supercalifragalisticness (it's a word-trust me) of all the people in this forum! :D SO COOL to have an entire rebellion watching my back, encouraging me to do better and never stop!

See you all for the next challenge! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

I can only assume from awesomeness overload.

YES. lol. Okay, so I've now read your entire thread, and I'm feeling moderately intimidated. However, there seems to be even odds that you'll deadlift while velociraptors invade, so I'll just have to get over it. Also, epic hallways.

Crazy-good job on this challenge!

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

*Give me a K, Give me a U, Give me a I....* (you know the rest)

Well done Captain Awesome!! Here's some extra credit to change that B to an A (if you can translate this completely without a dictionary or tapes or help from anyone)!

English to Afrikaans: This challenge was so awesome that I can't wait for the next one.

Afrikaans to English: Welgedaan, jy het jou doelwitte hierdie uitdaging bereik en ek sien uit na die volgende een.

My challenge

Pull up - Done!! :victorious: Massive congrats on achieving this!

Good luck with future language lessons, but once you're fluent, try not to go 100% Afrikaans on the message boards - Google translate will get worn out!

All in all, an excellent result for a first challenge, you should be proud. Congrats!!

L3 (Pending) Half-Elf Ranger
STR :: 9 | DEX :: 6 | STA :: 6 | CON :: 6 | WIS :: 10 | CHA :: 3.5

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.

YES. lol. Okay, so I've now read your entire thread, and I'm feeling moderately intimidated. However, there seems to be even odds that you'll deadlift while velociraptors invade, so I'll just have to get over it. Also, epic hallways.

Crazy-good job on this challenge!

Dude I just read your thread and got intimidated-how the heck are you moving and doing the challenges and raising a 2 yr old and breathing all at the same time?! Those are some mad time management skills! And my gym is fairly safe from raptors due to the revolving doors which are too tiny for a full grown raptor to get through (I did some rough measurements). Now I'm worried about zombies-there's only 1 stair case up to second floor and the weights area only has 1 enter/exit point, so basically if the zombies come I'm trapped. Fortunately I'll have lots of heavy things to throw at the zombies, but management really needs to look into their zombie defense plan. It's like they don't even care if my brains are eaten!

I eagerly await the music video. Holla if you need any back-up dancers.

This. Must. Happen. And Amanda Palmer must perform the song upon her magical ukelele.

*Give me a K, Give me a U, Give me a I....* (you know the rest)

Well done Captain Awesome!! Here's some extra credit to change that B to an A (if you can translate this completely without a dictionary or tapes or help from anyone)!

English to Afrikaans: This challenge was so awesome that I can't wait for the next one.

Afrikaans to English: Welgedaan, jy het jou doelwitte hierdie uitdaging bereik en ek sien uit na die volgende een.

Bah! I had to look up 4 of the words and I was making a guess at a few others (still counting the guesses). I think my brain has already shut down for the long weekend :) Weirdly enough I didn't know 'Hierdie/This' or 'Uitdaging/Challenge'-but I do now! Slowly becoming fluent, a few new words at a time! :D

Pull up - Done!! :victorious: Massive congrats on achieving this!

Good luck with future language lessons, but once you're fluent, try not to go 100% Afrikaans on the message boards - Google translate will get worn out!

All in all, an excellent result for a first challenge, you should be proud. Congrats!!

Thanks so much! And congrats on increasing your pull ups! All that eating paid off big time! Shame you won't be joining us for the next challenge, but we'll be ready for you on the one after! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines