lexphoenix ... 12 Weeks to Half-naked Photos

lyranedara

It was a PERFECT day. Even though I'm just working on the habit of tracking, I managed to also hit my macros. I'm experimenting with saving the day's starchy carbs for dinner. (While I've had this in the back of my mind for a few weeks, I'm not sure how consistently I've managed to do it.) I broke my fast at 11am, then ate a scramble PWO. For dinner, I made chicken and potatoes. I wasn't particularly hungry at all during the day until it was time to cook dinner. After the carbs hit me, I was hungry again. I didn't snack though, and I soon felt tired. It was nice to have even energy levels all throughout the day. I had been eating my carbs PWO, but it made me want an afternoon nap and I just kind of dragged until dinner. Hopefully, this set up alleviates that!

As for the workout, it wasn't my favorite. I did enjoy the first half. It was a sandbag complex:

Military press

Hang clean/front squat

Bent over row/RDL

Back squat

I particularly like the way rows feel with the bag! It was 10 reps for each exercise, moving as fast as I could with good form. I was soaked in sweat by the end! The second half of the workout was a high rep DB complex, 15 reps all.

Alternating bent over row

Squat to push press

Reverse lunge off small box, alternating

Alternating floor press

Honestly, I start to get bored with anything over 8 reps. This was especially boring since there were so many unilateral movements. The sandbag kept me occupied for the first complex, but the second one just seemed to drag on. I may modify that part next time. Personally, I don't like to do a workout that I don't enjoy. I don't think I put the same effort into it, so it doesn't even do me much good.

I finished the workout with the following:

60 sec front plank

60 sec side plank, each side

3 x 5ES renegade rows

Honestly, I start to get bored with anything over 8 reps. This was especially boring since there were so many unilateral movements. The sandbag kept me occupied for the first complex, but the second one just seemed to drag on. I may modify that part next time. Personally, I don't like to do a workout that I don't enjoy. I don't think I put the same effort into it, so it doesn't even do me much good.

I understand completely. This is why I'm glad to actually be lifting some (relatively small) weight now. I could only do sets of 60 bodyweight squats for so long.

Eth - Level 8 Breton Warrior

STR 24.5 | DEX 9 | STA 20.5 | CON 13 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: The Warrior Within | Fitocracy

Main quest progress:

44%
44%
60 sec side plank, each side

Ooh, gold star! Those side-plank suckers are brutal.

Congrats on the poifect day!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Thought I was the only one. Hehe.

Also, way to go on an awesome week 1. Having been there, I'll say... you'll get used to the new stove pretty quickly. :) But... I am glad I get to work with gas again.

When we moved to ABQ, I was actually scared of the gas stove because I just knew I'd burn the house down, lol. Oh, how I miss it!

I understand completely. This is why I'm glad to actually be lifting some (relatively small) weight now. I could only do sets of 60 bodyweight squats for so long.

Wow, I don't think I could make it to 60 without losing count. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's mind starts to wander, lol.

Ooh, gold star! Those side-plank suckers are brutal.

Congrats on the poifect day!

Thanks! Fitocracy gave me a blue star. :)

Great stuff on this challenge! I'm on mfp toooooooo! I like tracking to keep me honest about what I eat. Looks like you are killing this challenge! Great job

Thanks! I used to count calories religiously. It's how I lost all the weight (60+lbs) in the first place. At my height, I don't have enough wiggle room/discipline to maintain a deficit intuitively. I just need to make sure I don't get crazy about it again. :)

No real workout scheduled for today, but I did 10 minutes of yoga. My hams were/are a little tight, but everything else feels good. I'm glad I'm not as sore as last week! I tracked everything I ate, though I didn't hit my macros. I also drank all my water. I was hungry all day though. For some reason, eggs are hit or miss when it comes to satisfying me. I think it may have to do with how much/what veggies I include with them. I also probably would have felt better if I'd hit my macros, but that's a goal for next week. I still just want to be sure I'm tracking everything first before I start getting all fancy with it. :)

Now for the not so good ... I forgot to meditate again! I've decided to tie the meditation to the yoga going forward. Do yoga. Meditate. It means I'll have to set aside a larger chunk of time all at once, but I think it's definitely doable.

Now it's time to get off here. I've spent way too much time on the computer, though at least I was standing for it all! And I just realized I'm in tree. Later, Rebels!

Back to Workout #1!

5x5

A1: Incline bench press

A2: Bent over row

B1: Chin ups

B2: Seated Arnold Press

BW Circuit - 4x

Lateral lunges

Jump squats

Plank

Single leg hip raises

Burpees

Reverse crunch

Somehow I was able to shave 20 minutes off the total workout time? I'm not sure if it's simply because I was moving that much better, or just that I knew the order of the exercises. Probably a bit of both! Everything felt much better today than it did my very first day back to training. I felt REALLY strong on the bench and rows. The chin ups with the Arnold press is rough, but oddly fun. I flew through the leg circuit today. That part went a lot better than last time. I was soaked in sweat by the end of the workout! I finished with my 6 min of yoga and then 5 min of meditation.

My hunger level was back to normal. I'm not sure what was going on the day before. I broke my fast at 11am, then ate my PWO meal at 3. Dinner was at 6:30. I did well on my macros today. I was actually a bit higher in protein and a bit low on carbs, but no complaints! Tracking really hasn't been that big of a deal since I had so many of my meals saved in MFP. I actually included macros in some of the names, so it makes it super simple to see what I could eat for the day. I think I'd like to add a few more meals to the list as well. I saw this genius idea on a "mom blog" the other day. She chopped up all the meat and veggies she needed for slow cooker meals, labeled each bag with instructions, and froze them. It was a whole month of meals from one afternoon of chopping! I'm not sure I could spend 5 hours all at once prepping, but maybe it's worth it. Anyone do something similar?

Yoga and meditation. :) Tracked cals, drank my water, and hit my macros.

Workout #2

A: DBs complex, 4 x 8

Push Press

Romanian Deadlift

Bent over row

Hang clean

Alternating lunges (racked)

The weight was perfect here. It was just heavy enough that I didn't really want to do it, but just light enough that I could move fast through it. I worked up quite a sweat here!

B: Single DB complex, 3 x 12

Overhead Press, L

Overhead Press, R

SLRDL, L

SLRDL, R

Unsupported row, L

Unsupported row, R

Bulgarian split squat, L

BUlgarian Split Squat, R

Side plank, L

Side Plank, R

Went up to 15lbs here. This felt good and I moved smoothly between each exercise. Much faster than last time!

C: Core work

70s front plank

70s side plank, each side

3 x 5ES renegade rows

Then yoga followed immediately by my meditation session. I tracked my cals, drank my water, and enjoyed my high carb day!

ZWOW #30

10 Divebombers

5 burpees

40 squat, side leg lift

5 burpees

10ES side plank lifts

5 burpees

10ES Pistols

5 burpees

I originally meant to stick with a short ZWOW this week, 10 min or less, but Zuzana went back to ZWOW #1 to show how much she had improved since February. It was so amazing to see the side-by-side of her videos, and work out along with her. I stayed with her rep for rep through the first 2 rounds, and then went faster than her for the last round. I always like to push my absolute hardest at the end. I finished in 16:20, 1:20 faster than her, though I only do box pistols. I finished with a 10 minute yoga session, and then 10 minutes of guided mediation. Later in the day, my husband took us to a park he rides by on his way to work. It runs along the Huron River. It was so beautiful, and the kids really enjoyed the long walk. I tracked my cals, drank my water, and hit my macros.

I felt really good, so I decided to do an hour long yoga session. It included a guided deep relaxation at the end. I couldn't believe how relaxed I got! My skin actually started to tingle, and it required some effort to open my eyes when it was over. I haven't felt anything quite like that in a long time. It was similar to that feeling I used to get during deep prayer. I felt great throughout the rest of the day. I tracked my cals, drank my water, and was a bit low on protein.

Week 2 Review

GOALS

Cut: Using IF, emphasize real food to lose fat. Begin tracking food in MFP again. Minimum .5oz water/pound bodyweight.

I tracked my food and water every day! I also weighed in and measured the main areas I'm interested in. My weight didn't change. Here's my 2 week measurement update:

Hips: +.25 in

2 in above navel: -1.25 in

Navel: -2 in

2 in below navel: -.5 in

I am unbelievably happy with how things are going so far!

Maintain: Follow workout schedule for each phase to keep my muscles. Add 1 short ZWOW.

Stuck to my workout plan. ZWOW #30 on Saturday.

Relax: Meditate for 6 min daily and do yoga for 5 min daily. Find a trigger for meditation.

Mediated every day but one. Yoga every day for increased time. Began using yoga as trigger for meditation.

Persist:Consistency is the key to success. No lame excuses! Update calendar daily so I have a visual cue of my streak.

Another great week. Only missed meditating one day. 6/7

Week 3:

GOALS

Cut: Hit 90+g protein each day.

Maintain: Add 1 30+min walk.

Relax:Increase yoga to 7 min daily.

Persist: Develop mantra to keep me focused.

Workout #3

A: 6x6

DB Front squat

Swiss ball leg curl

B: 6x6

Sandbag RDL

Alt reverse lunges

C: Bodyweight circuit x 4

Chin up x AMRAP

Spiderman push up x 10ES

Hand walkouts x 10

Plank x 10s

Inverted row x 15

Push ups x 15

A2G on the squats again! I felt really strong on these today. I'm definitely going to up the weight next time. For the deadlift, I outgrew the dumbbells I have a long time ago, but I haven't had a good way to do more weight. My husband was kind enough to get me a bag, so I loaded it up with dumbbells. I had to do deficit deadlifts to get a full ROM, but it felt good to move more weight. I'll probably be conservative about loading it for a while, just to be sure I've got my form down. The upper body circuit in this workout is the hardest part of the program (for me). While I've got a strong upper body "for a girl," this is approaching my limits of what I can do fast, with good form. I really have to get hyped up to start the circuit each time because it takes everything I've got. Today felt a lot better than the first day though. I managed to shave 10 minutes of my total workout time, and I know the last rep of each exercise looked as good as the first.

I followed the workout with yoga and meditation.

I just barely hit 90g protein today.

It was a whole month of meals from one afternoon of chopping! I'm not sure I could spend 5 hours all at once prepping, but maybe it's worth it. Anyone do something similar?

I do this (or a variant of it) constantly. Cooking every day is not a thing I can do, so I tend to devote sunday to cooking and eat from tupperwares or easily prepared premades for the week. Personally don't have a slow cooker, but if I did THAT is exactly what I'd be doing. The chopping and then freezing until use also keeps things pretty fresh, whereas if you cook them and then just chuck them in the fridge they can get soggy if you don't eat them quickly enough.

Good on you for keeping an eye so closely on your macros. I'm learning more and more than if I'm plus or minus a few hundred CALORIES I'm ok, but if I'm low on my protein my body flips a shit on me. Keep the progress, the success, and the awesome going strong, I'm super proud of you!

You can't take the sky from me...
Level 4: Coyote Skin-Walker, Hunter, Ranger, Maker Of Dust
6'0" | white female | age: 25 | 42-35-42
CON: 7 | DEX: 8 | STR: 10 | STA: 8 | WIS: 10.5 | CHA: 7
Heaviest: 267.2 | Current: 206.1 | Final goal: 190

Sounds like you're doing very well! Congrats on the work thusfar!

Thanks! I'm trying to maintain my streak.

Hello! I'm back! You are doing so well. I will think of you next time I slack :)

Welcome back, and thanks! Knowing I'm being watched helps keep me on track.

I do this (or a variant of it) constantly. Cooking every day is not a thing I can do, so I tend to devote sunday to cooking and eat from tupperwares or easily prepared premades for the week. Personally don't have a slow cooker, but if I did THAT is exactly what I'd be doing. The chopping and then freezing until use also keeps things pretty fresh, whereas if you cook them and then just chuck them in the fridge they can get soggy if you don't eat them quickly enough.

Good on you for keeping an eye so closely on your macros. I'm learning more and more than if I'm plus or minus a few hundred CALORIES I'm ok, but if I'm low on my protein my body flips a shit on me. Keep the progress, the success, and the awesome going strong, I'm super proud of you!

Thanks so much! I think I'll try to gather some recipes that use similar ingredients over the week and try a big prep day on Sunday. They probably won't all be slow cooker meals, but it'll be a start!

3.2 Rest day

My son starts kindergarten on 9/4 and I had to take him to his screening this afternoon. There were 6 stations set up to ask him different questions to determine his "readiness." From what he described, it sounded very, very basic ... body parts, block stacking, letter recognition. He's reading chapter books already, and can do basic addition and subtraction. I hope he won't be bored with school! I was stressing on the way. Wondering if he would like school as much as I did, would he be a good student, would he have understanding teachers, and other things I assume parents worry about when there first kid starts school. I began to feel nauseous. Before it got out of control, I decided to try my breathing technique from my daily meditation. Deep breath in, 1, 2, 3, hold 1, 2, 3, and out, 1, 2, 3, hold 1, 2, 3, in 1, 2, 3, 4 ... peace swept over me. When we got there, he was so excited he actually skipped up to the door, and he had a huge smile on his face when the teacher brought him back out. I'm sure I'll be freaking out again on the first day, but at least I know what to do now, lol.

Everything else as planned. :)

Wow, girlio! So much fun catching up with your thread and all the awesomeness just shining off of it. Dang! You are doing so GREAT!!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

I agree with Seabright, I love catching up on your thread. So much optimism and achievement and good vibes.

I really recognise your issue with having to psych yourself up for your circuit - I also feel that way sometimes: it's just so hard! But feels incredible afterwards. I've also reached a point where I am struggling to get my upper body stronger without sacrificing form. But it's so important to keep the form right! We'll get there :)

I've been seeing your workout awesomeness on Fitocracy, but it's really nice to get the full picture here. I really sympathize with your little boy and kindergarten; C is only 3 and she's already wanting to go to school. I know I'm going to flip out when she goes to pre-K next year, and she'll be at the same school where I work so I can be there for extra support. It sounds like he's going to do great in school! The vast majority of kindergarten teachers will be delighted to have a student who is so knowledgeable already and will provide him with opportunities to continue to grow.

It sounds like your challenge is going great! I'm very impressed with how relaxed you are about food; I tried tracking for a bit last challenge but I found I was getting all obsessive about it so I had to stop. I need to work on that more.

re: the prepping meals ahead, I haven't done that for the slow cooker, mostly because we don't really do soups, usually just large hunk-o-meat and cook veggies separately. But we are doing something similar to what Avalon does recently; we cook 3-4 large main dishes over the weekend and eat off of the leftovers all week. It makes packing lunches easy because the meals are already done so we don't have to have the same thing for lunch several times in a row if we don't want (in theory; in practice, I usually take the same thing several times because it's so yummy). It also makes evenings when I'm going to the gym or CrossFit easier because we don't have to fit cooking dinner around that time.

Keep up the great work!!!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Congrats on the boy and Kindergarten. Is it your first? I know it is always a big step.

Yes, he's my first baby. :) I'm a lot more relaxed about it than I thought I would be. I attribute daily meditation, lol.

Wow, girlio! So much fun catching up with your thread and all the awesomeness just shining off of it. Dang! You are doing so GREAT!!

Thanks, Seabright! Sorry I've been absent so long.

I agree with Seabright, I love catching up on your thread. So much optimism and achievement and good vibes.

I really recognise your issue with having to psych yourself up for your circuit - I also feel that way sometimes: it's just so hard! But feels incredible afterwards. I've also reached a point where I am struggling to get my upper body stronger without sacrificing form. But it's so important to keep the form right! We'll get there :)

Thanks! It's taken me a long time to get my head in the right place. :)

I've been seeing your workout awesomeness on Fitocracy, but it's really nice to get the full picture here. I really sympathize with your little boy and kindergarten; C is only 3 and she's already wanting to go to school. I know I'm going to flip out when she goes to pre-K next year, and she'll be at the same school where I work so I can be there for extra support. It sounds like he's going to do great in school! The vast majority of kindergarten teachers will be delighted to have a student who is so knowledgeable already and will provide him with opportunities to continue to grow.

It sounds like your challenge is going great! I'm very impressed with how relaxed you are about food; I tried tracking for a bit last challenge but I found I was getting all obsessive about it so I had to stop. I need to work on that more.

re: the prepping meals ahead, I haven't done that for the slow cooker, mostly because we don't really do soups, usually just large hunk-o-meat and cook veggies separately. But we are doing something similar to what Avalon does recently; we cook 3-4 large main dishes over the weekend and eat off of the leftovers all week. It makes packing lunches easy because the meals are already done so we don't have to have the same thing for lunch several times in a row if we don't want (in theory; in practice, I usually take the same thing several times because it's so yummy). It also makes evenings when I'm going to the gym or CrossFit easier because we don't have to fit cooking dinner around that time.

Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks! I haven't always been so relaxed about everything. I tracked every day, without fail, for 6 months last year. Towards the end, I realized how crazy I was starting to get about it. I didn't like to share my food because then my count would be off. I hated going out to eat or eating meals someone else prepared because I didn't know what was in it. I was obsessed with eating every 2-3 hours, and all I ever thought about was food. Discovering IF really made a big difference in my relationship with food. I don't try to be super accurate anymore, but I eat more protein whenever I track it.

Week 3 Review

Cut: Using IF, emphasize real food to lose fat. Track food in MFP. Minimum .5oz water/pound bodyweight. Minimum 90g protein.

Excellent week! Down another .5 lb.

Maintain: Follow workout schedule for each phase to keep my muscles. 1 short ZWOW. 1 30 min walk.

Stuck to my workout plan. ZWOW #28 on Saturday. Walk on Sunday.

Relax: Meditate for 5 min daily and do yoga for 7 min daily. Tie meditation to yoga.

Perfect week!

Persist:Consistency is the key to success. No lame excuses! Update calendar daily so I have a visual cue of my streak. Develop mantra to keep me focused.

I've got quite a streak going and it feels GREAT. I repeat my mantra when I feel myself struggling.

7/7

Week 4:

GOALS

Cut: Follow menu template.

Maintain: Core work after each workout.

Relax: Increase yoga to 8 min daily.

Persist: Encourage other rebels, especially those who keep me motivated. I couldn't do it without you!

I discussed last week how I wanted to streamline my meals. I decided the best way to do that would be to create a basic menu that I could follow. That way I don't really have to think about what comes next, or what will fill out my macros. I follow a basic meal template, mainly because I'm a lazy cook ... protein + veggies + fat, usually all in one skillet. Rest days = 2 meals, no starchy carbs. Workout days = 3 meals, few starchy carbs PWO, most at dinner. I plotted out each meal, trying to use recipes that shared ingredients. By planning out the week, I managed to shave $30 off the weekly grocery bill? 4.1 went very well, and was basically effortless! I hit my macros perfectly, even though I hadn't analyzed the recipes beforehand to be sure it was what I wanted, lol.

Repeated Workout #2. Finished with various planks and renegade rows. 8 min yoga, 5 min guided meditation. I find it much easier to focus on my breath and block out the noise when it's guided. I'm really loving my meditation. I can tell a big difference in my daily life. I don't have a temper. I'm patient with the kids. Things that would have freaked me out don't phase me. I've found a peace within that I haven't felt in a long time.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines