• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

goodwince

Challenge Thread - Goodwince, Bring on the Lifts!

Friday Workout

Barbell Squat:

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

135 lb x 3 reps (+53 pts)

185 lb x 2 reps (+62 pts)

230 lb x 5 reps (+125 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

45 lb x 5 reps (+49 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+69 pts)

115 lb x 3 reps (+63 pts)

135 lb x 2 reps (+61 pts)

160 lb x 5 reps (+107 pts)

155 lb x 3 reps (+83 pts)

155 lb x 3 reps (+83 pts)

45 lb x 20 reps (+65 pts)

Power Clean:

45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)

45 lb x 5 reps (+27 pts)

95 lb x 3 reps (+30 pts)

115 lb x 2 reps (+29 pts)

140 lb x 3 reps (+41 pts)

155 lb x 3 reps (+45 pts)

Final Workout for this challenge!!

Barbell Squat +624 pts

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

235 lb x 5 reps (+129 pts)

Barbell Bench Press +564 pts

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

45 lb x 5 reps (+36 pts)

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

210 lb x 5 reps (+109 pts)

PR! Woo!! Got 210 at 5 x 3

Barbell Deadlift +286 pts

95 lb x 5 reps (+50 pts)

225 lb x 5 reps (+121 pts)

Deadlift deload!

Pull-Up +83 pts

10 reps (+83 pts)

Didn't hit 220 on my bench, but I consider 210 a reasonable comparison!! I'm excited. I guess now it's time to calculate up my points. I'm not happy with most of my challenge other than lifts so we'll see how I'll score :o

Geez man 'not happy with most of my challenge', well I think you have done real good especially considering everything going on with your life e.g. Work changes etc. Remember big changes like this in people's life is when most go off track & you didn't, the workouts kept coming.

Also, you still managed to complete regular workouts every week, isn't this why? We are really doing the challenges to actually keep a routine/habit of doing regular exercise. Plus 210 on bench is awesome!!

I think you have a great attitude towards life, exercise & work. You will def get 220 next challenge :)

Thanks for your feedback haha. In all honesty though you're right and I'm not beating myself up about it, but that doesn't mean I can't be unhappy with the results lol. I didn't do what I expected, bit off more than I could chew.

I did continue my regular workouts and if you would've seen my schedule, you'd think some of them were a bit crazy (maybe not though). One night I didn't finish my workout till 11 PM. And I don't really have lights out back. I honestly think the challenge had something to do with it. Currently I'm not doing it because of the challenge, but the challenge gave me vision to work towards.

I owe you all thanks for watching me eventhough, I've calmed down on my commenting here haha. I probably will be conservative with the next challenge :]

I can't wait to see your thread! Woo!

70Kel, I expect new PRs for you in the next challenge. This one was just too-too easy for you. You made my goals look weak with the speed and efficiency that went into hitting yours!

70Kel, I expect new PRs for you in the next challenge. This one was just too-too easy for you. You made my goals look weak with the speed and efficiency that went into hitting yours!

Remember they were only 1rms, I actually think they are a bit like cheating....my next challenge will be about doing these 1rms at 5-8 reps x 3 sets comfortably.

I'm actually not going to aim for higher as my hand (mainly my finger) is still sore & I'm finding I am struggling to grip properly when lifting (bit frustrating). Also I am away for hockey at the national championships for the first two weeks of the next challenge so I will technically only have four weeks.

Enjoy the Smith machine! I'm sure there are heaps of different exercises you could experiment with :)

Caution! Thanks you sir. I'm pretty hard on myself as not seeing the progress to 220! You'll get there. I was looking at your deadlift numbers. Definitely impressed! You'll get to 300 like another said.

Ah, well.. I always forget mine are 5 reps x 3. I looked at another guys lifts for 1 rms and was like wtf? How'd he hit that?! Then I realized I do more reps. Finger is still sore? Wow. Too be fair going from 1rms to 5 x 3 is a good difference; however, achievable. I'll be watching :]

And it's actually a Jones Machine lmao. I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with it because there is some loss of stability in my opinion. Plus no more explosive power cleans. :/ Makes me sad.

Agree fully with the 'Jones machine' nowhere near as good as free weights where your body has to correct itself. Oh & I will probably go for higher on the squats, they don't hurt my finger :)

Ps do you have access to db's, lots of stuff on web with Db's, might find something that can kinda replace cleans.....& how is the new job?

You might be right about something with dumbbells replacing the cleans.. Hmm. I'll have to think about this! I like cleans though because I was reading about "The Outlaw Weigh" and the coach on there was discussing how he removed DLs from training completely because he thought the cleans were more effective for training.

The new job is pretty good. I really can't complain! I'm still getting into it. Programming at new companies always takes a bit of time.. Have to ramp up to their codebase.

I'm still getting into it. Programming at new companies always takes a bit of time.. Have to ramp up to their codebase.

And sometimes that also means walking into/inheriting someones mess. I've done that before... poor documentation and bad or inconsistent programming standards make for a very difficult time getting up to speed. (Thankfully I didn't stay long with that company and work for a much much better place now)

Hahaha, the new place doesn't even have documentation. Comments maybe? They're code base in my honest opinion isn't that complicated so it isn't a huge deal. Plus, the people are knowledgeable and willing to spend the time when I ask. Definitely makes for a few frustrations when I'm trying to locate things.. However, since it's all a huge Visual Studios project I can search for anything in the code base pretty quick.

My last company was kinda like that. They had poor documentation and no one to explain it. The worst part was turn around time was 10x worse because they liked to use somewhat obscure frameworks that made sense, but no documentation. So I'd have an issue and spend my wheels for days..

You might be right about something with dumbbells replacing the cleans.. Hmm. I'll have to think about this! I like cleans though because I was reading about "The Outlaw Weigh" and the coach on there was discussing how he removed DLs from training completely because he thought the cleans were more effective for training.

The new job is pretty good. I really can't complain! I'm still getting into it. Programming at new companies always takes a bit of time.. Have to ramp up to their codebase.

Hey do they have a small bar (not sure what they are called) but my new program has skull crushers, don't you just love that name, might be worth a try (will let you know how I go) & something different though!

I also have to do smith military press....so different to what I have been doing, will be interesting.

Glad to hear you are settling in work wise:)

Hmm I like the skullcrushers they're pretty fun! I may add them in at a later time. I'm not trying to change my plan too much yet. We'll see. Considering adding in sprinting.. undecided so far.

So how do you like the smith military press?

Does anyone know of a good alternative to Rate of Force development I'll be losing without doing PCs? I may just have to add in a conditioning day to make up for it. Might be for a good cause anyways!

Alright, found this

Summary of link

Box Jumps

Single Leg Squats

Trap Squat Jumps

Not sure if this is my starting point.

Single Leg Squat jumps seem doable.

I don't think they have a box jump at work. So I've got to work something out. I'll look around again.

70kel, I didn't think about the skullcrushers for elbow strengthening!! Thanks for that!

No probs. Well let's just say it has been more than two days since my first workout....I have been sore:( but good sore....

Go back today for 2nd workout! & yeah arms are sore from smith military, I'm obviously not used to pushing something above my shoulders :) but like the change in workout, it's good.

Thanks guys for sticking around!! I'm about to write up my attributes on this challenge.. I created my new challenge to go ahead and get started. It's because of everyone over here that I'm creating it. I couldn't bare to give in to getting lazy thinking you guys would be improving without me to watch!!

Here's my new challenge!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?18438-Goodwince-s-Journey!&p=283538#post283538

Writing up this challenge gains..

Congratulations with the new job ! I write code for _research_ not for development unfortunately but yes, I have experiences of being a code monkey as well. :D

Also, I notice that you have made significant improvements on those squats. Moreover, you are kicking my ass (by about 10lbs) in OHP - which is all good (but watch out ! I am right behind you. :))

Research? What kind of research?

P.S. This is my old thread. Don't worry I'll catch up. Not going to lie I'm not very competitive, but I'll try and be so. I like your pushing!