Raincloak's Smokeless Hash Challenge

Raincloak

Yo, hashishim. After much internal debate, I have decided to pay you folks a visit. I don't fit perfectly into any class, but this one seemed the nearest. Except for the whole bit about, you know, medieval Middle Eastern killers who sneak into the smoking tents to slay their targets. (That is reportedly where the word "assassin" comes from.) We can skip that part, right? Fine. Everything's a metaphor.

The title "smokeless hash" means I will make a hash of things (meaning a big pile o' delicious mess) without the smoke (meaning the self-numbing things I tend to use, like sugar and Internet surfing). Another metaphor. We can skip the actual drugs if it's all the same to you.

So ... goals for this challenge: get more fit, be more awesome. You know, the usual. I like the whole "world is one big playground" thing.

- Fitness:

Do 4 pull-ups in a set. Currently standing at about three-quarters of one pullup, and I'm convinced that first whole one is only a week away. So we'll aim to do 4 in a row by my birthday, six weeks from now.

Run an 8:20 mile. That sounds slow but for me it is pretty difficult. I don't like running, and not coincidentally I suck at it, but I want better cardio endurance, so I'm going to practice anyway. I haven't timed myself on a track in a while, so this goal may need adjusting.

Stretch daily. This isn't hard, I just need to make time for it. I am not very flexible, but I want to be. 5 minutes of warming up and 5 minutes of stretching ought to do for a start.

- Career:

graduate. I need a second job, too, but rumor has it the job will be easier to obtain with that $20,000 piece of paper in my hand. At this point, procrastinating has become a severe habit, and I really don't want to publish my work ... but I've gotten so sick of hearing EVERY person in my life bug me about school, it's probably best to just get it over with and shut them all up. That would be the best birthday present I've had in years.

I'm not gonna bother with the number crunching RPG business right now; too much of the smoke and not enough hash for me...

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Great goals sir!

Pullup are always a challenge, but I'm sure that will feel great once you get that first one! I found once you clear that mental obstacle, its easier to do multiple..

I hate running more than 400ish meters, so I'm with you on that. Although when I have to, I've been able to decrease my running times of 800m and 1600m through met-con workouts or sprinting.. These types of exercises are supposed to help with both anaerobic AND aerobic conditioning.. something you might to add as a supplement to getting to your goal!

Best of luck with your challenge, especially yer life goal.. I'm sure you'll feel a lot of pressure relieved when yer able to accomplish that!

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee

Lots of the stretch-daily assassins in this challenge! Good luck with the goals!

And here I thought I was being original. Oh well.

On the career front, got a shiny new haircut today. That's a significant step toward getting a second job, which is not on my goal list (it was gonna be, but the new rules only permit one non-fitness goal....) but it's right up there with graduating. I really need to get used to spending money on my appearance.

Off to go for a nice walk and do my stretches now.

Had a nice workout yesterday evening. Kinda failed at the stretches afterward. Still can't do a complete pull-up, but getting sooo close. The bottom (starting from dead hang) and top (getting my chin over the bar) are the hardest parts.

Today was a soul-eating day in front of the photocopy machine. oh well, at least I'm getting paid. I did a few pushups, chair dips, and squats in between copies. And stretches.

Also made a phone call to one of my new job leads. Got voicemail so left message. He did not call me back. Fail. This evening I'm crashing a party which will be attended by a large flock of potential employers, so I suppose I should crank out a resume and bring a few copies along. Or maybe make some pretend-business cards. I really dislike this whole "cleverly disguised as a responsible adult" thing, but what else can I do -- I need money, and this is the best way to get it, or so I am told. No progress on school today, but maybe Thursday.

slept too late and skipped breakfast (not ideal), had a nice healthy sandwich with lots of veggies for lunch (good), had frozen yogurt for a snack this afternoon (not good at all). But dinner's going to be small and late, so I needed something in between.

Great work on the pull up. And super job at trying for another job-it is hard work trying to find a job.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Job lead called me back. They have someone else lined up, but he'll tell me if that person is in or out. Made a couple more contacts, got a couple more leads. Also renewed my food handler permit, in case of finding a job at a restaurant or bar. Good news -- my state now has an online course, which saves me the trouble of hiking downtown and sitting through a video lecture! (Still had to sit through a cartoon lecture, but surprisingly it was a bit more entertaining than your average airplane safety video. Well done, Washington.) $10 and an hour later, I'm once again ready to dish food to the unsuspecting public.

The local sleaze club is hiring. I ponder the wisdom of applying to work there. Not a lot to ponder, actually.

Got a short walk in, but no other exercise; I was sort of sidetracked by a lost dog, rescued the dog successfully after considerable effort though. I was, ahem, prevented from taking a second walk by family members who opined I should look for a job instead. Thus the food permit.

Did not get any stretching done sadly; I'll do a little before I go to bed, but I don't have the space for a proper warm-up and workout at present. Boo. I'm not sure which I hate more, running or schoolwork, but with the job progress on Things I Hate, maybe I'll tackle one of those next. But probably not tomorrow; tomorrow I have to go to my other job.

Failed at job callbacks. did a workout which didn't go well. My muscles felt like dried-up old rubber bands, the kind that break when you pull them. Still can't do a f**king pull-up, but I tried. Went for long walk. Ate more sugar and wasted more time than was advisable. The weather was nice and Mom bought heirloom tomatoes (hooray), but those were about the only upsides to my day.

oh well, tomorrow may be an improvement.

Failed at job callbacks. did a workout which didn't go well. My muscles felt like dried-up old rubber bands, the kind that break when you pull them. Still can't do a f**king pull-up, but I tried. Went for long walk. Ate more sugar and wasted more time than was advisable. The weather was nice and Mom bought heirloom tomatoes (hooray), but those were about the only upsides to my day.

oh well, tomorrow may be an improvement.

My yesterday was pretty close to that. I took a walk, and that was the extent of my workout. Then did nothing for the rest of the day...

Glad to hear that there was an up side to your day, and i'm cheering you on with that pull up. you can do it! Hope the rest of your week goes better.

Rogue Assassin

"You just have to get up one more time than life can knock you down."STR-3.5 DEX-10.25 STA-4 CON-3.5 WIS-6.25 CHA-5 

Yesterday I went to work and spent another day in front of the photocopier. Also got in touch with another job lead, so I'm gonna go see her next week. It'll increase my commute by another hour or so, but if it works out, I'll have a second part-time job a few days a week. Which is still not a full-time job but it's an improvement. Did not work out yesterday, but had a really tasty grilled dinnner, chicken and veggie skewers, and wild blackberry cobbler for dessert (yum).

Today I fixed a tasty egg and veggie breakfast. Got yelled at by BOTH parents for minor offenses. (This is why I need to get an apartment, my parents are convinced I'm a lazy teenager as long as I live in their house... but while my needs are modest, my income is even more modest. So I'm stuck here until I get a second or third job.)

Went for a walk in the hot sun, got my daily dose of vitamin D, and alllllmost managed a pull-up. Still need to have my feet touching the ground and supporting a little weight, though. sigh. Maybe next week. I am still an ungodly weak runner; I'm beginning to think that 8:20 goal was overambitious. Maybe I'll try running again this evening when things get cooler.

Last night we went out to the park, lay on a blanket, and watched the Perseid meteor shower for half an hour or so. Very relaxing and enjoyable.

Today I ate a variety of things, mostly virtuous. (Tomato and bread salad for lunch, leftovers for dinner, the only non-nutritious thing was the rice pudding which I made this morning. Whatever, it's got calcium.) Went for another walk, nearly did an unassisted pullup (damn I am SO CLOSE, just a few... more ... days...) and did some chores. Completely ignored my schoolwork.

Still got a few hours left in the day, need to gather up my work history (such as it is), send out some job applications, and do some laundry so I can go to work tomorrow. The possible new employer has been in touch and says she's going to call me later next week, not Monday. (Lame, but that's life, what's a few more days.) The previous potential employer said I will hear whether he still has an opening in "a few weeks" and if I find another job I should take it meanwhile. That doesn't sound promising. Oh well. On to more job things. Also need to gather up my notes and talk to my prof so I can finish this school project.

Worked. Had a headache and felt lethargic most of the day (even though I got enough sleep ... at least I thought I did?) Had errands to run after work, didn't get any exercise besides my usual walking around town (probably adds up to a couple miles with hills, since I work on my feet and also ride the bus). Treated myself to sushi for dinner, which I'm going to say was healthy food. Stretched a little, not enough. Berated myself for not being magically stronger than I am. Eyeballed myself in the mirror and concluded that, unfortunately, strengthening my arms makes me look even more top-heavy than I did already. Crap.

Thanks for all the support so far guys :) Hang in there!

Woohoo, got a new job! That will probably bump up my hours to 30 or so per week, which is good. Of course, it also doubles my commute time, which is less than good, but oh well, I can spend some time reading or something I guess.

Nothing new to report on goals. Working on 'em, but not a lot of progress.

first day at new job was taxing in more ways than one. Working for small businesses has its ups and downs.

Haven't done any heavy lifting or running in the last few days. I managed to blister both feet with some ill-fitting shoes yesterday, so I'm not likely to go running until the blisters heal. I did stretch and went for a nice walk... barefoot. I'll try the pull-ups once again tomorrow; maybe a couple days of rest did them some good.

A barefoot walk...good for you! Do you mostly enjoy the new job? Hopefully it has more ups than downs.

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

New job is okay, though the computer is a 10-year-old slug and the wage is less than I'd hoped for. It's not hugely different from the other job, I just have to learn a new set of files. The good news is, I may get some more skills and responsibilities soon. The biggest drag is spending an extra hour on the bus every day (on top of the 90 minutes I was spending already). This is why I need to move. I may also need to get a third job, since I've been crunching some numbers with my current income and the results don't look promising.

Last weekend I was sick, so didn't do much. Yesterday did some more bodyweight work. Still dangling from the pullup bar, trying and failing to haul my ass up unless I use my feet. I'm starting to think 4 pullups by my birthday was overly optimistic. At this rate I'll be lucky to get two. I seem to have hit a plateau.

Have gotten some more stretching in, and gone for walks most days. Still avoiding school like the plague. sigh. Well, tomorrow I've got work, but perhaps tomorrow night I can dig out my notes and review them. I can't believe how fast the end of this month snuck up on me. And I may be moving in a couple of weeks ... boy, do I hate moving. I must concentrate on the benefits of cutting my commute by 2/3rds.

fucking rhinovirus might explain why my exercise power has been crap for the past four days. At last we're on the road to improvement again. Yesterday I was about back up to where I was before I got sick. Still not looking very shiny for my goals, though we shall keep forging ahead. I'm starting to wonder what ever made me think I could be a superhero; three months into semi-regular training, and I still can't do one lousy pull-up? Am I not trying hard enough, or not being patient enough?

Found another possible apartment. Tomorrow's the deadline for checking up new places; I'm off work so I plan to pound the pavement in a couple more neighborhoods and give my phone an almighty workout. Then it's time to start submitting checks and applications (barf). This time next month, I should have a new place to live which should be MUCH closer to my current jobs (yay).

yesterday did some more bodyweight stuff. Plenty of walking and some stretches today as part of job. Too busy coughing to manage a severe workout.

Pull-ups are just truly really hard, and you are improving.It'll happen, if not this challenge, then the next. Sounds like despite being sick you are rocking your other goals though.

today was box-moving day at job A ... boy did we move boxes, although thankfully the boss hired a strapping young man to do most of the work. But for the look of things, I hauled a few boxes myself and got a workout. Then I had to run all the hell over town to get to an appointment -- literally run since I did not have a vehicle. Probably hustled a few miles overall. Also did a few pushups and chair dips, not really much of a workout but by then I'd had enough.

Went to a bookstore and flipped through "New Rules of Lifting for Women" until a store cop came along and nudged me. Since I have a few bucks left on a gift card, I may splurge on it, but it looks to be more of a diet/exercise book than, you know, a WEIGHTLIFTING book. Maybe I should buy the "New Rules of Lifting" (for men) next to it.

more paperwork progress on new apartment. Now I have found two that I could stand to live in, although neither is perfect...

A book store that didn't like you looking through the book? I do that all the time. Cranky bookstore.

A book store that didn't like you looking through the book? I do that all the time. Cranky bookstore.

To be fair, the guy actually just told me to get off the floor in front of the shelf (where I was sitting) and move to a chair in the cafe to read. I dunno if he wanted me in a more visible spot, or if it had to do with fire codes. He seemed to be trolling the aisles for campers as much as for shoplifting. Either way, I concluded I probably ought to move along.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines