mist's second challenge - with added determination

mist

Second swimming lesson wasn't quite as good as the first one, as the 'class' has grown to 2 people, so less focused attention and less material covered (but only a little. Two people is still really good and less than I had expected the first time I showed up. Must remember that if there had been another person last week, I still would have been very pleased. Just because I got spoiled last week... )

This other woman had had a few lessons before, so the instructor started with reviewing from last week, so more kicking up and down, and then back to the arms. I like it SO MUCH. I think I will enjoy swimming. The instructor was all 'you might be tired now' at the end, 'it is quite a workout', and all I could think was 'I'm a lot less tired than I am after a strength training session' so that was a bit of a boost. It is always a surprise to remember that while I am more unfit than I'd like, I am at least doing some exercise, so am fitter than a couch potato.

More work on UFOs on Monday night when my husband was out at a game. I also pre-washed some lining fabric yesterday for the dress I'm making.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mist, Level 3 Half-orc Adventurer

STR: 5 | DEX: 3 | STA: 3.5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 8.75 | CHA: 4

Third time's the charm - My current challenge thread

Interested in my progress? - My First Challenge & My Second Challenge

Popped in to support a fellow Aussie :D

Hooray for liking swimming!!

Good on you for braving an outdoors pool even while the water is still cold.

I'll only swim voluntarily during summer now, too many early morning frigid training sessions during winter.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

thanks! actually the lessons are in the indoor pool at Ashfield, which I didn't know existed - it is a smaller pool in a building to one side, where they run lessons and aqua aerobics and stuff. It was a surprise when i turned up for the first lesson :)

also, not in reply to anyone, I finally found a pic I wanted to use an avatar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

since most the comments i would have for swimming are already taken i shall only add a comment about your avatar ...

DUCKIE!!! very adorable/awesome. good luck with your swimming lessons!

LVL-1 adventurer

aspiring to be a warrior/monk/assassin

Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 2 | Con:2 | Wis:1 | Cha: 4

"Courage takes many forms. There is physical courage, there is moral courage. Then there is a still higher type of courage--the courage to brave pain, to live with it, to never let others know of it and to still find joy in life; to wake up in the morning with an enthusiasm for the day ahead.â€

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the swimming lessons! Most people either love or hate them.

Doing something, anything, is better than nothing. As you keep moving forward you will be surprised to look back and see the old you and how you thought about things. Amazing things happen when you are working little by little to be the most and best that you can be. It eventually happens. :bee:

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

Did weights and some cardio at the gym today - I meant to go this morning but got caught up in work & reorganising my costume wardrobe, so went this afternoon instead. I'm now sitting here waiting for the face mask I have on to finish doing its thing, then I'll have a shower. I've been experimenting with different types of face mask lately - they've been a fun and relatively cheap reward for meeting small goals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Last two days I've been 'off' my game, feeling under the weather again. Also, had a 'request' from my sister that I not lose any more weight before her wedding in a few weeks (we've just had final dress fittings). On the one hand, yay that she's noticed. on the other, crap.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Last two days I've been 'off' my game, feeling under the weather again. Also, had a 'request' from my sister that I not lose any more weight before her wedding in a few weeks (we've just had final dress fittings). On the one hand, yay that she's noticed. on the other, crap.

I love my family. We are very very close. But if anyone told me to not lose weight because of their wedding they would get a big fat, " Screw you". Actually it would probably be more colorful than that.

I understand that women have some unfathomable attachment to the "perfect wedding" but really? Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I HONESTLY believe if people focused more on the marriage and less on the one day event called the wedding, the world would be a better place.

I say lose as much as you can, the right way. Just make sure to have some safety pins to keep the dress from falling off.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

I haven't posted in a while, but that is because real life is full & busy & happy, and things are going really well. Maybe if I used NF as my primary online community I'd be here more often, but I mostly post here, in a few other people's threads, and then in one or two health related threads. For online social I have other places. So when things are getting busy... I don't always think about posting here.

But the weights routines at the gym are going well, third swimming lesson was good (I have goggles! they look strange). Work on the UFOs continues, and some are even done!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Slightly modified from what I posted in the official challenge end thread:

Goal 1: Weight Loss - Grade: D

No change at all to my weight, which is D as I'd said F was a gain. BUT I learned a lot about scales, and the value of weight as a measurement, and other measurements to use as supplemental trackers of how I'm going. Thanks to everyone here who gave me comments on that.

I was going to take new measurements to see if I'd lost any cm, but as seems to be typical of my mental state at the moment - sister's wedding is on Sunday, family are around, very distracting - I can't remember where I wrote down the last ones I took, to do the comparison. I think next challenge I'll do weight and measurements, and I'll put them in a spreadsheet - or at least save them in a text file - so that I can't lose track of them again. I know I wrote them down 'in a notebook.' This would be more useful if I didn't own about 6 notebooks that I use for different things.

So that's +0.5 STA and +0.5 CON. It feels a bit wrong to get points for no change, but I maintained the weight and set that as my criteria in advance, so I guess it is ok. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't lose any weight, but I'm not upset.

Goal 2: Push-ups - Grade: B

I'm giving myself a B not an A because while I have done 10 push-ups, I still can't do 10 regularly. If I do 10 in the first set of a workout, I can only do 5-6 in the second. But I'm pretty happy with how the strength training is going. I've started doing squats with a bar, and deadlifts. Really puny deadlifts at about 30kg (larger sets; I'm working on getting form perfect before I up the weight) but still... That's +2.25 STR

Goal 3: Learn to Swim classes - Grade: A

When I set this challenge, I had two sub-goals, namely 'find a class and sign up' (+1 WIS, +1 CHA) and 'go to classes' (+1 STR,+1 DEX, +1 STA). I get all the points! I've loved this challenge. I enjoy swimming much more than I thought I would. I still have two or three classes left in the term that I've paid for. And I've been working so hard in the classes. I've learned so much, and while I wouldn't necessarily call what I'm doing at the moment decent freestyle, I'm moving myself forward through the water in a way that is clearly not the dog-paddle that I was previously doing. Certainly I'm more confident in the water, and when the classes finish I'm definitely adding swimming to my regular exercise rotation. If there was a pool closer to home I might do it more often, but I reckon once a week for now. But we'll see. Maybe by the time these next three lessons have finished, I'll be even more hooked.

Goal 4: Work on my UFOs - Grade: B

Would have been A, except this last week has been so busy with wedding related stuff, and with my mum out from the UK. My evenings (when I often work on them) are busier than usual. I'm happy with this - I've got a lot of little things finished off and brought some others into regular rotation, and I've decided that some should stay unfinished. I even blogged about it on my craft blog.

This gives me +2.25 WIS. In the process of searching out UFOs I did a lot of sorting and tidying too, which was good.

In total, I earned 10.5 out of 15 possible points, which I'm amazingly happy with.

Updated stats are: STR: 5 | DEX: 3 | STA: 3.5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 8.75 | CHA: 4

Clearly no more wisdom challenges needed. For the next challenge, I'll have to think of some challenges to boost my DEX and STA.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines