Building A Base Challenge

Blade

At long last, I've been hired for a full time position. Hallelujah. Nailed down the details and officially accepted the job today, actually - first day of the challenge. My overall goal now is to kick ass at my professional life while continuing to improve my physical/personal life. Over the past two challenges I've started strong, gone on vacation, and completely come off the rails, but with a new job and no vacation days to take (other than a wedding coming up this weekend), I'm hoping to actually continue my progress through the whole six weeks. I'll be running the Marine Corps Marathon 10K in late October for the fourth year in a row, and I'd like to actually give my friend from college a challenge this year. Looking to build a solid base of overall fitness so that I can start pushing my training to take him down come the end of October.

Also looking for anyone interested in a PvP challenge that doesn't involve lifting weights - I'm poor and have no access to a gym. Running, bodyweight exercises, etc, anyone?

Diet and Fitness Goals:

1. Complete two sprint sessions and one longer (2-3 mile) run per week, including good stretching after each. (STA - 2 / DEX - 2 / STR 1)

2. Perform 60 consecutive push-ups. (STR - 4 / STA - 1)

3. Complete 10 Fitocracy quests by the end of the challenge. (CON - 1 / CHA - 1)

Life Goal:

1. Pay back half of a $2,000 loan. (WIS - 3)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

"Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering." - Teddy Roosevelt

Fitocracy Quest #1 (Functional) complete - 100 burpees and 30 bodyweight squats in one day. My legs are not pleased, but they need to get put to work. Looking forward to hopefully logging several more quests this weekend when I have access to a weight bench. Good luck to all!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

"Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering." - Teddy Roosevelt

The 30 body weight squats I get, but 100 burpees?! I'm pretty impressed. How did you break them up?

I'm up for a bodyweight PvP challenge if you want, I need to get back into the routine of doing strength workouts. Especially of the pushups & squats variety.

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Hey Garjan - 5 sets of 20 for the burpees. Definitely slowed down toward the end, but splitting them up that way made them doable. Let me know about the PvP - I'd be happy to get something going with you involving pushups, squats, whatever!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

Cool, this will be my first PvP. How do we want to set it up? (I'm not really sure how these things are set up)

Maybe some sort of circuit with 3-5 different bodyweight exercises? I vote for pushups and squats to be on the list. I'm still working on my pull-up progression stuff, but can do most of the other "common" bodyweight exercises :)

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Congratulations on the new job! How is the personal/professional balance turning out so far?

Just started today, but I think it'll work out. It'll be long days of non-stop activity, so the biggest challenges will likely be eating well and persuading myself that I have enough energy to run/work out after work. Or before work if I'm really good.

Cool, this will be my first PvP. How do we want to set it up? (I'm not really sure how these things are set up)

Maybe some sort of circuit with 3-5 different bodyweight exercises? I vote for pushups and squats to be on the list. I'm still working on my pull-up progression stuff, but can do most of the other "common" bodyweight exercises :)

Want to incorporate this week's mini-challenge for the PvP? How does pushups, pullups, squats, lunges and planks sound? We can set up PvP's here (http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/forumdisplay.php?189-PVP-Challenges). Thoughts on how to set it up in terms of how many/schedule/etc.?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

Those exercises sound great. Do you want to set up the thread or should I?

As far as schedule, definitely non-consecutive days. Maybe 3 days/week?

I don't know how close we are in skill level, but we could start with 3-5 sets with as many reps as we can manage for each exercise with some time limit (an hour?) to complete the sets. Time limit doesn't include the important stuff like warm up, cool down, stretching, etc.

Also, how do we want to grade ourselves? I saw another PvP basing it off total number of reps.

Those exercises sound great. Do you want to set up the thread or should I?

As far as schedule, definitely non-consecutive days. Maybe 3 days/week?

I don't know how close we are in skill level, but we could start with 3-5 sets with as many reps as we can manage for each exercise with some time limit (an hour?) to complete the sets. Time limit doesn't include the important stuff like warm up, cool down, stretching, etc.

Also, how do we want to grade ourselves? I saw another PvP basing it off total number of reps.

Works for me. 3 1-hour or less sessions per week, 3-5 sets each of those 5 exercises. Total number of reps sounds good. You want to set up the thread?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

Got in a good workout on Sunday morning, make use of a weight bench and heavy bag at my parents' house, and house music at a wedding. Fitocracy sadly isn't recognizing the quests I completed, which is ticking me off since I'm using that for one of my goals, but by my count I knocked out 6 quests, giving me a total of 7 thus far. Pretty happy about that, even if one of them is titled "Untz Untz Untz Untz" (Do 50 jumping jacks and dance for 30 minutes in one day).

Awesome weekend with the wedding, seeing my girlfriend, and visiting my parents. Now back to DC for my first (almost) full week of work at the new job. Life's coming together pretty well!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

Got a bunch of bodyweight exercises done today for the PvP challenge with Garjan. Made some progress on hitting that 60 pushup goal as well. And, well, went to work for the Life goal. Gotta work for the money!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

Finally got the Fitocracy quests I completed last weekend to take - had to re-enter them, but am glad I did, since I got stiffed on points. Fun stuff! Knocked out:

"Learning The Pendlay Row"

"Baby Widowmaker"

"Untz Untz Untz Untz"

"Try Out The Deadlift"

"Zyzzthetics"

"I <3 The Bench Press"

"Not Very Dumb At All"

"Press Press Press"

"The Squat Isn't So Scary!"

"Squat Bench Deadlift 135 Club"

"Everybody's Doing It"

"Hip Drive"

12 Quests, plus the 1 I finished earlier, gives me 13. I'm going to bump up my goal to 18 now, just to keep things interesting. Have been slacking a bit on my PvP challenge, but will shoot for a morning workout early tomorrow - especially needed since I'll be in the office all day working on data entry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wookie Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines