Who's afraid of the Roll of Shame?

Someone mentioned being afraid of the RoS in their challenge thread. But I am highly caffeinated and slightly crazy so I can't remember who it was.

So, just wanted to leave this here....

ETA: video did not start where I wanted it to. Go to about 1:15.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

It gets a lot worse with heavier weight. I've done this with somewhere around 100kg. It sucked.

Benkei

Level 1 Warrior

STR: 4, DEX: 3, STA: 1, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 2

Current challenge

Deadlift 1RM PR: 215kg Benchpress 1RM PR: 102,5kg Year end goals: DL 250kg, BP 135kg

"If deadlifts were easy, they would be called 'ellipticals'"

It was a little bit less than a 100, but yeah, should have a spotter. And I actually did, but I told him to stay away because I wanted to try the roll. Haha :D And my bellyfat hurt for about a week also.

Benkei

Level 1 Warrior

STR: 4, DEX: 3, STA: 1, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 2

Current challenge

Deadlift 1RM PR: 215kg Benchpress 1RM PR: 102,5kg Year end goals: DL 250kg, BP 135kg

"If deadlifts were easy, they would be called 'ellipticals'"

I freaked out the first time I did it with only 145lb. I rolled it off and that was that, I felt fine afterwards and happy I had to do it so I know I won't die if it came down to it. The second time I did it I guess I had this look of panic on my face because 2 other guys from 2 different parts of the gym saw me and came rushing like I was on fire to help me. I was a little disappointed that they did help but at the same time I'm glad they did notice and ran over.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint

I always get little sore spots on my abdomen when I do it... but have yet to get visible bruising. I don't mind. I got over the embarrassment thing after a few goes. I figure, if I'm failing I'm pushing myself. Bros can laugh at my RoS 'cause I'm laughing at 'shoulder day' and their inability to squat :D

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I am! I didn't know if others did. I consider my arms weak, one weaker than the other, the other shoulder has some weird injury or something....so I go less than I would if I had a spotter. But now that I think of it, I'm only at 50lb, so I'd probably be OK.

I guess I'd just be embarassed with because I think that everyone would believe I went too much, not knowing myself.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

I've done the roll at 95KG or 100KG, I can't quite remember ... No bruising, no fear of it. It would take a bit more weight for the roll to be a problem for me. I hate spotters, they interferre to early!

I agree! I had to scold one..."don't touch the bar unless it starts coming back down!!"

I am! I didn't know if others did. I consider my arms weak, one weaker than the other, the other shoulder has some weird injury or something....so I go less than I would if I had a spotter. But now that I think of it, I'm only at 50lb, so I'd probably be OK.

I guess I'd just be embarassed with because I think that everyone would believe I went too much, not knowing myself.

Aha! Sorry I forgot. Sooo much going on in this crazy head right now. RoS is really not that bad...but I know what you mean about the embarrassment...but like Laura said, at least you know you are pushing yourself!! :) And - I have had great luck asking guys in the gym to spot me. Even though, as noted, they interfere early, people have a great attitude about helping you out and it's good to have someone there just in case.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I've only had to do this "roll of shame" once. I think it was trying one rep too many with 205 lbs or so. I didn't get any bruising or pain at all, I just tensed up my abs and pushed it to my legs. Just don't get caught trying to do this on the decline. If you don't have a spotter I wouldn't even recommend using clips because the "roll of shame" will become the roll of death on the decline haha.

I agree! I had to scold one..."don't touch the bar unless it starts coming back down!!"

Aha! Sorry I forgot. Sooo much going on in this crazy head right now. RoS is really not that bad...but I know what you mean about the embarrassment...but like Laura said, at least you know you are pushing yourself!! :) And - I have had great luck asking guys in the gym to spot me. Even though, as noted, they interfere early, people have a great attitude about helping you out and it's good to have someone there just in case.

I had the only other lady lifter in my gym spot my last set on Saturday. She totally helped too much. But it was the last rep and last set so I let it slide. I don't interfere unless it's not moving up. Or going back down..which hasn't happened yet. There are plus sides to be on the lower end of the weight spectrum while benching :P

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Did my first bench session in over 10 years today and I was deathly afraid of the RoS so I started off at 95lbs and did 12 reps. Took it up to 115 and did 12 more reps and for the final set I did 125 for 7 reps. That last rep of the last set was a near RoS moment. Hopefully next seesion I will have someone to spot me so I can really test my limits.

Excuse me...aren't you benching like 100 at this point?? :P

Hahahah well yeah.. but to roll 100 down your body isn't bad. That's still pretty light... 135 sounds scary, though. Sweet jesus. Ow.

Hahahah well yeah.. but to roll 100 down your body isn't bad. That's still pretty light... 135 sounds scary, though. Sweet jesus. Ow.

It wasn't bad at all. Although I weight 215ish, and having other football sized friends makes 135 feel like peanuts

Arbucks

Orc Warrior

Level 2 - STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 1

Unleash the Beast

Challenges: 1 | 2

Twitter|Fitocracy|MyFitnessPal

I lift alone, so the embarrassment isn't a factor (I shame myself enough when I fall out of a squat). The worst part for me (at 150#) is rolling the bar over my hipbones. Otherwise, I can't sit up, so I just end up stuck in a weird crunch with the bar in my belly.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I lift alone, so the embarrassment isn't a factor (I shame myself enough when I fall out of a squat). The worst part for me (at 150#) is rolling the bar over my hipbones. Otherwise, I can't sit up, so I just end up stuck in a weird crunch with the bar in my belly.

I lived this, except I work out in a gym that had others around. Low bar squat, shoulder flared up and the bar slipped backwards. Couldn't rack it, so had to awkwardly lower it down my back with my arms pretzel-ing backwards.

Arbucks

Orc Warrior

Level 2 - STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 1

Unleash the Beast

Challenges: 1 | 2

Twitter|Fitocracy|MyFitnessPal

You need to learn the "Drop the Bar and Run Like a Mad Man" technique.

Sure is loud, but it's better than trying to lower the bar whilst stuck in some awful form.

Nothing can possibly go wrong with this plan.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8