Happienumber's challenge of FOCUS

Thanks! I tend to find mildly drill-seargent-esque pep talks very motivating. I just need to repeat it to myself every time I get the desire to do something that's bad for me, or could be bad for someone else. Not just food choices, but life choices. Being mindful of the "hall of consequences."

Like right now... I want to kill all the things.

And then crawl into bed for three hundred years. But I'm trying my best not to eviscerate my coworkers and plug through the rest of this day, because I did this to myself and there will be no sympathy for poor choices. I keep repeating that making more bad choices [being a jerk and slacking off/taking a nap in the middle of the day] will not make up for my other bad choices. Maybe the mantra will stick.

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

How is the battle coming Happie?

Very well! I got out of rice-hangover and have been feeling tons better the rest of the week. New max of 16 kneeling push ups, and got in my four rounds of kettlebell. As per my re-tooling of my goals, I have switched to a goal of two sets of five full push ups [strength over endurance.] so I added one set of full push ups to the beginning of my push up rounds. I've also started a whole30. I feel like my body is super-extra hungry lately, though. Not really sure what that's about. I have been eating constantly, which kind of solves a former problem of mine [forgetting to eat.] I think it's possibly a protein thing? I'm used to getting 100-175 grams a protein a day since I stopped grains about three months ago [before then, I don't even know.] During my Whole30 though I've had to cut out my protein shake because it has a natural, non-sugar sweetener in it, and Whole30 says no sweeteners at all. So i've been down to 30-90 grams a day and I think it's bothering me. Anyone have any reccomendations as to how to get more protein? I feel like i'm already eating a lot of meat but maybe I could up that. Or maybe it's not even that, and someone else knows why I want to eat my house.

Fun parkour day today! Was supposed to be a rest day but I couldn't stand sitting still any longer. Hey, I didn't actually do any strength training so I think that's OK. I went down to the small park and practiced rolls using the Ryan Doyle youtube tutorial, a bunch of vaults over benches, climbing up the outsides of playground equipments, and QM's on rails. LOTS of QM's on rails. I discovered I really like those.

I think I'm going to have a bruise on my left shoulder tomorrow. I started learning how to roll over my left shoulder too, because I don't want to have a side-preference in case I fall that way. My form was decidedly aweful and I slammed my shoulder a bunch of times before I started getting it.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

You said on the mini-challenge thread you climbed a mountain...do we get any details?!

Well it wasn't exactly mount Everest haha. It was a baby mountain. only 4.2 mile trail. Took us about 3 hours, including the time we spent gawking at the top [it was a really beautiful view.]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5374[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5375[/ATTACH]

there were a lot of fun places to boulder off to the sides and I got in some climbing and caving [i think these were the highlights for me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5376[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5379[/ATTACH]

There was a giant tower on the top:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5377[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5378[/ATTACH]

And then of course I had to pick up the Scottish Man-Stone that was in the middle of the pathway. This was more of a toddler-stone. HAHA. [The inver stone is like 325 pounds, and that's the lightest one. my rock was maybe 60 pounds...]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5380[/ATTACH]

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

The mountain climbing looks like fun. What a great view at the top. Rock lifting, caving and bouldering- RAWR!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Wow all of my pictures bit it. I don't know how that happened. None of the links are working anymore. Oh well.

Starting my whole30 tomorow! very excited. my mother and friend are doing it with me. i made sweet potato hash tonight in preparation, and it smells awesome.

I had an exciting fitness benchmark happen this week. At my job I often have to take PC's to client's locations, and there are two offices that are out of resonable walking distance [about 7 miles away.] I usually walk to my car [six blocks from my office, where parking is free] and park it out front, get the computer, and drive it to the location. This week I had two computers to move to the distant office. A dinosaur of a dell optiplex [weigh like, as much as an actual dinosaur] and a lighter new desktop in a box with a handle. I didn't have any money for a parking meter. HMMM. WWJBD?

I picked up those buggers and walked all the way to where my car was parked. My practiced kettlebell clean-and-press movement got that smaller one right up on my shoulder. Six blocks up a huge hill.

I was really proud of myself when I got to my car. Especially because I know that a month ago, there was no way I could have done that. I was hardly even tired. [Once I got there, I found out they weren't needed and I ended up carrying them both back the same way. RAWR.]

New PRs in Push ups, I'm doing 4 full push ups followed by kneeling push ups [as many as I can do] for my working sets now. My working sets of kneeling push ups are in the 8-12 rep range now. I'm finding that my core strength is what seems to be lacking in my full push ups, like I could do five if I could just keep my hips from sagging. I think more planks are in order.

On that note, had to do another 2-minute plank today, had a medium french fry. Bad girl.

Kettlebell 4 times this week, was going for five this time but I felt really crumby sick on thursday, which is usually an KB off day anyway, so I didn't bother. I'm looking at it on my floor right now an I want to go play with it, but it's too late now. I'll be up all night if I start doing cleans and swings haha.

As part of the mini challenge, I made three missions for yesterday and today:

yesterday:

1.cook sweet potato fries

2.get your clean laundry off your floor, you are an adult. Put it away.

3.Apply for car loan

Today:

1.Return your library books

2. fix your friends computer

3. drop iphone off to be fixed- FINALLY <-something I have been forgetting to do for 600 years

Got them all done.

I applied for a car loan, guys. I'm freaking out. I have always been of the persuasion of "Shake a man's hand and pay with cash." I've never needed or wanted a credit card or a loan. "Building credit" to me was pointless. But my car was just stolen, and I didn't have full coverage or enough in savings to buy a new car outright [i have about half.] So I got a loan yesterday.....UGH.

I feel like I've just stooped so low. Like i'm begging for money. Not to mention the commitment thing. I'll probably have it paid off in less than six months but to me that's a very long time to owe anyone anything.

STRESS.

Anyway that was a long post and i'm falling asleep. TTFN, ta ta for now.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

RAWR! Isn't is awesome when working out helps in real life? 2 computers carried up a hill= You are a beast

Bummer about your car being stolen. I don't think you need to feel like a beggar for taking out a loan, but I do think it is very healthy that you hate doing it and want to pay it off as soon as possible. I've seen so many of my friends dig themselves into such a deep hole wiht debt, it always makes me glad when I see people who work to avoid it

And congrats on doing the 3 things. I did that too and it really helped keep me focused.

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm trying to do the three things list every morning now. Helps keep me prioritized. as well as FORCING myself not to multitask. I set a timer for twenty minutes and make myself do [insert important thing here] for the whole time with no distractions. That has really been helping a lot.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Nice work on that car loan!!! You are awesome for making yourself do scary shit like that. I am loan-credit averse as well (why would I want money that isn't really mine? Blergh), but I know I have to get on board or it'll bite my ass later. Good for you!

Also, with regard to getting stuff done; for today I made (and mostly stuck to!) an almost hour-by-hour schedule. I made one for tomorrow too, let's see how it goes. But yeah, my point is that making yourself a list is definitely a smart thing to do. Keep killing it! I may try your timer idea...

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

She hadn't been totally certain of what to make of the kitchen at the training base when she wandered in. She had expected the stark cabinets to be filled with MREs, or something cheap, pre-processed, and cookable in whatever passed for a microwave on this planet. Instead, she found piles of foreign looking fruits and vegetables, and a freezer full of meat from animals she couldn't pronounce. One cast iron pan on the wall and a fairly earth-like stove.

Oh Boy.

"It's kinda DIY around here, isn't it?" she had remarked to Erik, who walked to the nearest cabinet and pulled out an orange, misshapen lump, tossing it to her.

"You have to learn how to feed yourself. It's just like your survival training for the wild, you have to know what's safe and what's not. When you're deployed on a mission, you're going to be on planets all around the universe. In a million different kitchens, with a million different kinds of food. Most of those planets don't cater to human diets. Or Gallifreyan for that matter. You have to be extra careful. There are a lot of things in this universe that are poison for you."

She eyed the awkward vegetable in her hand with new found leeriness, "There's stuff in this kitchen that could kill me?"

"no, not here. here is where you're going to get familiar with the stuff you can eat. The things we stock here you can find on almost any world. Once you get familiar with it, you'll recognize it when you see it."

Her nose crinkled with doubt, but she thought, 'You only live once,' and took a bite out of the vegetable. She almost couldn't swallow it.

"That's revolting," she choked out, wiping her mouth on her sleeve.

Then she realized Erik was laughing at her, "You have to cook it first. The flavor changes completely. Oh man," he pulled the pan off the wall and put it on the stove, mumbling to himself, "Never had an agent just gnaw on a Yguma before."

"Errrr..." she winced, looking at the stove, "Hate to break it to you, but the closest thing i've ever come to cooking was trying to make Ramen on the stove instead of the microwave."

"So you can't say you have no experience."

"uh, well...I burnt off all the water and it lit on fire."

"Trial and error, Agent. If you want to eat here, you're going to have to figure it out." He dropped a large tub of odd-looking cooking oil into her arms, which she awkwardly clung onto.

I think I'm going to starve.

Since starting my whole30 I've been trying a bunch of new recipies and I swear I feel like I've entered a whole new planet. How have I gotten halfway through grad school without meeting 90% of the foods in my grocery store?!

Even when I went gluten free, I was still eating pretty much the same stuff. Oatmeal every morning [Just discovered recently that this WASNT gluten free], pre-packaged thai noodles [rice flour] in the microwave for lunch, gluten free microwave burritos for dinner. Ect. Very microwave centric.

I have started discovering all these things, grocery shopping today took me almost an hour. I was wandering around the produce section going, "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!?"

There is fruit with fur.

There is fruit that is shaped like an octopus.

There is a giant species of avocado that apparently turns red when it's ripe.

There is something that looks like moose antlers.

There is another type of banana that Is not a banana but looks like a banana but is green and brown.

There are fruits that look like the lovechild of plums and peaches.

And Holy-Different-Kinds-Of-Squash, Batman!

I wouldn't even know where to begin with cooking, eating, or even pronouncing most of that stuff. How do you even open a squash? Machete?

Heavens to murgatroid.

(don't even get me started on the meats section. IT's IN CODE. Cube Round is an oxymoron.)

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Also, with regard to getting stuff done; for today I made (and mostly stuck to!) an almost hour-by-hour schedule. I made one for tomorrow too, let's see how it goes. But yeah, my point is that making yourself a list is definitely a smart thing to do. Keep killing it! I may try your timer idea...

Good for you!! Holy mackrel. That's amazing. If i schedule too strickly, my brain rebels and I literally get NOTHING done. I wish I could be more productive. I feel I can keep my ADHD much more under control when I'm "under pressure" so the timer helps me. it's like a deadline. Like get-your-butt-in-gear-you-only-have-three-more-minutes!! A good kind of stress.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Fruit that is shaped like an octopus? What is that?!

Good for you for learning how to do some cooking beyond the microwave. I stab the squash all over (so it can release steam-not to kill it) and stick it in a baking pan and throw in the oven. After it is done and the skin is soft, I cut it open. You could actually use the microwave for that too.

I love your timer idea, I think I'll try it. Focus is my biggie problem

stab the squash all over (so it can release steam-not to kill it

AGH lol that's hilarious. You never know...some of those things looked like you might have to chase em down.

I willl have to try it. I know I like squash, I just have had no experience getting it from its shell into the form I'm familiar with inside a lean cuisine.

And this is the octopus fruit. http://www.saalfelds.freeserve.co.uk/BuddhasHandCitron.htm

I was intrigued. I want to try to fruit that looks like a poisonous cactus too.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

That is terrifying; kill it with fire!

When it comes to cooking, the internet is definitely your friend. My ex taught me the very basics, but pretty much everything is trial and error (loved the story paragraph above) for me. I stick to (so far) stuff like sauteed chicken, green peppers and onion. Haven't really attempted a lot of baking yet, but the results have been decent. There's a cool cookbook called Everyday Paleo by Sarah Frogoso that I recommend. Some really creative recipes that are fairly easy too make.

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

Fitocracy

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. I have been basically living off of ground beef and broccoli, and scrambled eggs with salsa in the mornings for a while. It's gotten REALLY borning. So I decided to take the time in my whole30 to experiment with different foods.

Guess what is awesome? Ground beef with cinnomon! Ground pork too but beef is cheaper. I know your not doing fruit right now (I am also limiting my fruit, although not excluding it) but what is fantastic in the cinnomon beef is a half an apple chopped up and some pecans.

GOAL UNLOCKED! Two sets of five push ups this morning (in addition to a bunch of kneeling push ups, but I hit my strength goal)

Continuing progress: work on my form. I'm stiff and straight but I'm doing a wide leg version that is less hard on your core. I want to slowy work my feet together.

Ive been generally unimpressed with myself this week, I DID work out in the mornings (except for Monday, that was an 18 hour shift.) but I didnt apply meself. I felt very half hearted, and meh. But today I got up at 5:30 and REALLY brought it, and I realize that I need to start getting up at 5:30 or may e even eventually 5, in order to get my mornings off on the right foot. Only did kettllebell three days this week because I am out of state now and I don't pack that thing.

I haven't been updating much on my life goal, but I haven't missed anymore days of my bible reading since that first time. It's really becoming a habit. As an added bonus, I just found my grandma's old bible (she was one of my 'parents' and she died last year) and its full of her notes and scriptures she liked and how one scripture explains another one ect. So I've been going through and reading all he notes and the entire chapters around the scriptures she liked to get the context. I feel like I'm still learning from her.

Picked up the new car yesterday, did some mods today (new paint on the fake wood panels inside, it the front bumper for better tire clearance) so its been a fun end of the week. As part of the mini-challenge, I've been strict about removing stuff from the car so it still looks really nice. Usually within the first few hours with me a new car looks like an old car.

Onwards to a new week!

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Ok, that octopus fruit looks really scary. I might stab it first to kill it before I eat it. And ground beef with cinnamon sounds interesting I'll have to try it.

So cool about your grandma's Bible. I was looking at my mom's. She had tons of notes and then she had circled some verses that were prayers and written mine and my sisters names and all our kids. It made me feel very connected to her.

OK so I've been out of state without my laptop for the past week, sorry I disappeared! I've been hanging out with a bunch of Dominicans so the past several days has been pure Spanish [most of them didn't speak any english.] It was extra awesome because they also taught me how to make all this food out of these new foods that I had never heard of.

I love Yucca. As well as Carne Asada. I'm not sure what either are called in English.

I also learned what the looks-like-a-banana-but-is-not-a-banana was! it's a plantain. And it's awesome. Tastes like potato.

For week five, I only did kettle bell three times instead of four, because I left for my trip on the day I normally kettlebell and I couldn't pack it. But then I found out that there was a gym down the street from where my friend lives so I'm back on track for week six. I went down there on my kettlebell days at the beginning of this week.

Although it's not part of the challenge, I made a new PR on Saturday at my friends gym: 31 minute 5k! AGH! I could just about TASTE that sub 30 minute 5k....But I still did shave three minutes off my previous time.

Working on my push up form, did my normal workout yesterday with wide legs and then a set of three with my feet together close. I'm feeling like it's getting easier. I realized I haven't been doing as nearly as much of a warmup as I should have been. I have been basically walking around my apartment, or maybe going for a 5 minute walk outside, and then doing like 20 jumping jacks and getting to work.

That's not enough...

Yesterday I started with five minutes of foam roling, did three sets of 20 jumping jacks, 10 shoulder dislocates, 5 burpees, 5 incline push ups, and some QMs across the living room. My workout was WAY better. I didn't necessarily do more in my workout, but I felt way stronger. like I wasn't just pathetically forcing out every rep, and my form was tons better on every exercise. I also took much less breaks between circuits [usually 3-5 minutes, yestrday I did 30sec-1min between circuits.] I just have to figure out how to fit in the extra time required for 10 minutes of warm up. I already had to just start getting up at 5:30 to fit my workout in right without being asleep through the whole thing, which is tough on nights when I work my late job and don't get home until after midnight. BLEH I need sleep. I'm feeling particularly sleep deprived this week. Probably why I'm complaining about it right now. I wake up feeling like sludge. Could also be that I've had way more carbs and sugars this week than I've gotten my body used to. I think I've had like four sweet potatos this week and a bunch of dates, two apples, and three bananas. Mostly I've been too lazy to cook my frozen meat so I was throwing mashed banana, mashed sweet potato, coconut milk, and protein shake into a bowl and calling it a meal. Which would be ok maybe once or twice a week. But I've had it WAY too many times, plus a couple fruit smoothies.

Now that I've writen it down, it seems obvious why I feel sludgy. I KNOW I need to limit my fruits and I've been chowing on them non stop this week. Alrighty, signing off to go do kettlebell before work. Finishing this challenge off with force!

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Mostly I've been too lazy to cook my frozen meat so I was throwing mashed banana, mashed sweet potato, coconut milk, and protein shake into a bowl and calling it a meal.

That sounds delicious. I want in. What kind of protein shake do you use? I don't know anything about protein shakes. Do you mash your sweet potato yourself? Or can you buy it premashe? Lazy people want to know. Meaning me.

And good job upping your push ups!!! You are really killing it. And yeah, more and more I'm realizing the importance of taking my time warming up and making sure my body is totally awake before doing strenuous work outs. And good luck figuring out your schedule; why does modern life make it so difficult to be fit ? :P It would be so awesome if everyone's jobs let them take a work out hour AND a lunch hour....sigh, a girl can dream.

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

Fitocracy

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines