FSJJunkie: Back to Basics

fsjjunkie

Starting Info:

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:4

This challenge period will include my Spartan Super Race and a Sprint Triathlon. I thought about focusing goals on these races, but in the end, I've decided I need to reestablish a baseline. So, sleep, pullups and swim workouts are basic. I've also instituted a preset grading scale. This way I have objective measuring points for the final grade.

Health/Fitness

Goal 1: 8 hours sleep/night +1 WIS +3 CON

Without adequate sleep, I can't work or train at a peak level.

Grading will be 8-9 hours = A(100); 7 - 8 = B(85); 6.5 -7 = C(70); 6 - 6.5 = D(60); <6 = FAIL(0); >9 hours = +5% to weekly average.

Goal 2: 10 Consecutive Pullups. +3 STR

Currently, I can do 5. A = 10, B=9, C=8, D=7

Goal 3: Swim 11x (30 mins or more) during the challenge. I would have picked more, but I'm out the first week with Bronchitis and the pool is closed 8/27 - 9/3.

+3 WIS - Need to have my mechanics/pace/effort all ingrained before the next race.

A = 11 B = 9 C = 7 D = 6 Fail = 5 or less.

Life Goal

Basement ceiling (see last 2 challenges)....when this is completed, there will be a party. +3 CHA +2 WIS

Grading:

A = All panels in, including HVAC diffusers.

B = All full panels in

C = Full grid installed, 50% panels in

D = Full grid installed.

F = anything less.

Story

Let's find this portal already! Go Scouts!

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

I like your grading system, and I think your sleep goal is a great idea - especially since you're feeling under the weather, rest up! Hope your bronchitis clears up soon!

Current Challenge: Roocifer's Eat and Run Challenge | Fitocracy

Level 2 Scout: STR: 4.25 | DEX: 8.75 | STA: 8.75 | CON: 6 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.75

I feel my boots trying to leave the ground, I feel my heart pumping hard, I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing, as though I had wings. - Mary Oliver

Solid! Your grading system looks tough, but it always seems easier to me to know what to expect from the start...I may adopt the upfront scale for the next challenge. Good luck with your goals.

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Week #1 Report

Health/Fitness

#1 8+ hours every night. Quality was questionable some nights. Having restless legs and arms, aches and pains, hots and colds.

#2 I thought about a pullup. Recovery from bronchitis/unknown lung infection taking longer than planned.

#3 Did some swimming on Saturday during a family lake outing. Only thing it proved to me is that I'm not recovered from my illness. But I'm counting that as 1x.

Life Goal: 20% Grid Install. THIS IS HUGE.

Forgot how much this doubles as a body weight leg workout..up and down the ladders more times in 2 days than I can count.

Additional work: two outings with my girls (I'm always out with my son at baseball and scouts). I went horseback riding and bowling with them. I should've stretched after bowling. Owww...tight hammies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

If it's not one thing, it's another.....

After starting the 6 week challenge with a week recovering from bronchitis, starting week 2 with a stomach virus, I find myself in week 3 with a shoulder injury.

Week 2 Report.

Grading will be 8-9 hours = A(100); 7 - 8 = B(85); 6.5 -7 = C(70); 6 - 6.5 = D(60); <6 = FAIL(0); >9 hours = +5% to weekly average.

6 A's, 1 B. 98%

Did 2 pullup workouts.Feeling good. Didn't try a new max test.

Goal 3: Swim 11x (30 mins or more) during the challenge. I would have picked more, but I'm out the first week with Bronchitis and the pool is closed 8/27 - 9/3.

+3 WIS - Need to have my mechanics/pace/effort all ingrained before the next race.

Swam 1x. Total now equals 2x in 2 weeks. Shoulder injury is keeping me from hitting the pool this week.

Life Goal

Basement ceiling (see last 2 challenges)....when this is completed, there will be a party. +3 CHA +2 WIS

Grading:

B = All full panels in

D = Full grid installed.

F = anything less.

Still chasing a D grade for the 6 weeks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Thanks! So the shoulder felt good enough to run the Spartan Hurricane Heat on Saturday and the Super Spartan on Sunday. I got my first training ride in today in 3 weeks. Hopefully I'm back on track.

Note to any who are wondering......only do back to back Spartan races if you are a masochist or have completely lost your senses. :onthego:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Week #3 Interim Report.....

9, 8, 8, 8.5, 8, 6, 6 = 7.6 avg for week.

Didn't work pullups with the shoulder injury, but Super Spartan and Spartan Hurricane Heat both worked those pullup muscles. Felt good.

Still at 2x swims....none this week.

Life Goal

no additional progress.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

I thought you might like to see some Spartan action.

Me getting pummeled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5282[/ATTACH]

post-2621-1356724481669_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Week #4 report

brief...pool closed - no more swims

worked some pullups - shoulder pain from injuries and baseball/spartan race overuse

sleep averaged between 7 and 8 hours

BIG work on Basement ceiling. Now at 30% of frame installed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

I thought you might like to see some Spartan action.

Me getting pummeled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5282[/ATTACH]

Awesome! Woot to you for finishing the Spartan!

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Week #5 Report

2 more swims -- total is now 6 for challenge. With one week to go this is looking like a C goal for the challenge...

I did 6 pullups this week. Not bad considering the shoulder injuries and pain I've been through since 8/18. It's going to take a massive effort to get a C for this goal.

Sleep for this week...avg of 7.4 = B.

Basement ceiling...bad week with lots of conflicting schedule issues, no progress. I think the best I'm going to get is a D or C....but C would be another massive effort.

It's not like I've been slacking, it's just that reality didn't line up with my chosen goals. I could have picked a different set of equally challenging goals and knocked them out of the park.

I set a PR for the local Sprint Tri on Sunday, improving on EVERY split from last year. I was one or two mistakes away from an AG podium, so that was a minor levelup.

I've started teaching my oldest to drive (and to drive a manual transmission), I'm spending 15 hrs a week coaching my son's travel baseball team.

That being said, I'm prepared to take a C for this challenge at the end of week 6 and will learn from my travails.

Carry ON!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Week #6 and Challenge Final Report

7.5 hours avg/night = B

Working it....see Final report to see how many I made.

Goal 3: Swim 11x (30 mins or more) during the challenge.

1 more swim this week.....

Life Goal

I did more Algebra this week than ceiling work. :-(

Full Challenge Report

Starting stats:

STR:7 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:4

One mini challenge completed: I have my workout plan documented on TrainingPeaks.com through the end of October. +1 WIS.

Life threw many additional challenges at me this time around. Bronchitis/StomachVirus/Shoulder injury/Kids back to school/Son's Baseball and Scouts starting up for fall....plus 2 races. Wow. Now I know why I'm tired. :-) Even with my poor showing by my own standards, I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. The support here is awesome and I love seeing how everybody is improving. WOOT to the community.

Health/Fitness

6 Week average 2A's 4B's, so B for the Challenge 75% of points => +1WIS; +2CON

Finishing Max: 7 : D 25% => +.75 STR

What's promising is I can now do 3 sets of 5. When I started, it was 3 sets of 3.

7 Swim sessions C:50% => +1.5WIS

Life Goal

Grading:

B = All full panels in

D = Full grid installed.

F = anything less.

I have about 60% of the grid installed, which is quite a lot more than I started with, but far less than my goal. : F:0%

OVERALL GRADE: C.

Final stats:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines