Sora's 6 week Challange

Sora

Hello!

I am relatively new to NF, and this is my first 6 week challenge. I am a student, and will be entering High School this year. I have been called the smartest in my class, but that has come with a downside. I am the worst in gym class. I joined Cross Country 2, almost 3 years ago, because of a friends peer pressure. THANK GOD FOR HIM. Thanks to running distance in Cross country and track over the last two years, I have been able to maintain my weight, while still growing. But I still suck at this whole fitness thing. THAT ENDS NOW. I don't really have much support in the real world as to my fitness goals, so I figured this would help keep me from quitting on myself. Cross Country practice starts tomorrow, so that will help with my workouts, but the races are 3.1 miles in high school, so this will be a new challenge. I look forward to succeeding with you.

Starting Weight- 174 lbs.

Starting Height-5'8"

Mile time- 10 mins 36 seconds

Goals-

1) Run a mile in 9 minutes or less.

2) Lose 10 Lbs. by the end of the 6 week challenge.

3) Eat at least a serving of vegetables at every meal.

4) Complete at least 2 sessions on Rosetta Stone Japanese every day.

I WILL on run every day at cross country practice (weekdays) or at home (weekends) except for Sunday.

I WILL lift weights Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Thank you for your support, and I look forward to succeeding with you ^^

Sora

Hylian Scout Lv.6, Hero of Rivertown
STR: 6 l DEX: 8 l STA: 9 l CON: 9 l WIS: 10 l CHA: 8

"You are what you repeatedly do" -Aristotle 

Most Recent:Challenge #7 "VII - Sora Returns"

BF% loss progress  
Start: 25% BF                                                                                                                                    17.5% BF                                                                                                                                        10% BF

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress
Start: 178.4 lbs.                                                                                                                                 166.7 lbs.                                                                                                                                         155 lbs. 

43%
43%

Thanks for posting your goals! I really like the Rosetta Stone one, another goal that has so far escaped me =(. Keep us posted!

Elven Adventurer Level 1

Str: 1 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 1 | Con: 1 | Wis: 1 | Cha: 1

Tone Up! 50-60 Pushups & Workout 3-5+ times/week. Run once/week. Keep Paleo.

Code It! Dance Teaching/DJing Website, Web Design Site, and Learn Java

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer..

..I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me..

..Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Litany Against Fear (Dune Books)

Good luck Sora, we sound pretty similar in that I was pretty smart in high school, but epic failed at P.E. [i had 28 missed classes [due to field trips, senior days... and laziness] my last semester of high school... luckily the teacher like me and I still pulled an A =P] I didn't even have cross country. I have started running more recently however, so that's all good =]

Just curious, how do you plan on losing 10 pounds of fat? Well... to be more precise, how are you going to measure this?

Good luck on your challenge! I can't wait to see your results!

Kevin

Half-Satyr Adventurer, Level 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 4.5 | WIS 6 | CHA 5

about me. | twitter. | dailymile.| fitocracy.

Challenge: 1. 2.

Thank you for your support :)

Sora

BF% loss progress  
Start: 25% BF                                                                                                                                    17.5% BF                                                                                                                                        10% BF

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress
Start: 178.4 lbs.                                                                                                                                 166.7 lbs.                                                                                                                                         155 lbs. 

43%
43%

Hey Sora! One of my goals is also to learn some Japanese! I am not using Rosetta Stone though (to much money for me personally :( ) But its awesome that we have a goal that is similar! I don't know if you've found these sites or not already but if you haven't here are some awesome things I've found!

http://japaneselevelup.com/2012/02/05/japanese-quest-walkthrough/

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/

https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/

Are some of the sites that I go to. I never used Rosetta Stone so I'm unsure what you learn from but my vast knowledge (read: no knowledge at all) I'm guessing it focuses on the speaking aspect the most. I could be wrong, I have no idea. But some books to think about are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824831659?ie=UTF8&tag=alljapanallth-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0824831659

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824831640?ie=UTF8&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&qid=1279474828&sr=1-1&linkCode=shr&camp=213733&creative=393189&tag=alljapanallth-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4889961151?ie=UTF8&tag=alljapanallth-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=4889961151

If you ever wanna talk about learning Japanese let me know! Unfortunately I'd done a lot more reading about HOW to learn Japanese rather than you know... LEARNING Japanese. I know that your goal is Rosetta Stone for Japanese but hope this stuff helps!

Thank you for pointing that out Tenniskid1192. I guess I got caught up in the moment, and failed to realize I had no way to messure that. I have changed my go to just a plain 10 Lbs.

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

Hey Sora! One of my goals is also to learn some Japanese! I am not using Rosetta Stone though (to much money for me personally :( ) But its awesome that we have a goal that is similar! I don't know if you've found these sites or not already but if you haven't here are some awesome things I've found!

http://japaneselevelup.com/2012/02/05/japanese-quest-walkthrough/

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/

https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/

Are some of the sites that I go to. I never used Rosetta Stone so I'm unsure what you learn from but my vast knowledge (read: no knowledge at all) I'm guessing it focuses on the speaking aspect the most. I could be wrong, I have no idea. But some books to think about are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824831659?ie=UTF8&tag=alljapanallth-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0824831659

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824831640?ie=UTF8&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&qid=1279474828&sr=1-1&linkCode=shr&camp=213733&creative=393189&tag=alljapanallth-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4889961151?ie=UTF8&tag=alljapanallth-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=4889961151

If you ever wanna talk about learning Japanese let me know! Unfortunately I'd done a lot more reading about HOW to learn Japanese rather than you know... LEARNING Japanese. I know that your goal is Rosetta Stone for Japanese but hope this stuff helps!

Thanks! I will be sure to check them out. I was given RS for xmas a few years back, and never really used it, so hopefully I will stick with it this time. It defenatly focuses more on speaking then writing, but some lessons do focus on writing.

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

Thank you for pointing that out Tenniskid1192. I guess I got caught up in the moment, and failed to realize I had no way to messure that. I have changed my go to just a plain 10 Lbs.

I think you can kind of measure it, I saw this the other day:

"Knowing your body fat percentage can also help you determine if your weight loss goals are realistic. Remember, weight loss doesn't always mean fat loss.

For example, let's say you are a 130 pound woman with 23% body fat, and your goal is to lose 20 pounds.

Initial body fat 130 pounds x 0.23 body fat = 30 pounds body fat

Lean body mass 130 pounds total - 30 pounds fat = 100 pounds lean body mass (bones, organs,...)

Goal 130 pounds - 20 pounds = 110 pounds

As you can see, the goal of losing 20 pounds is not realistic or healthy. At 110 pounds, this woman still requires 100 pounds of lean body mass, but would only be carrying 10 pounds, or only 9% body fat. From the body fat chart above, you can see that this is a dangerously low percentage.

A better goal might be for the woman to reduce her body fat from 23% to 18%. In this case:

130 pounds x 0.18 = 23 pounds body fat

100 pounds lean body mass + 23 pounds body fat = 123 pounds goal weight.

So, for this individual to achieve a lean, but healthy 18% fat, she would need to lose only 7 pounds of fat, reducing her weight from her current 130 pounds to 123 pounds. Losing more than 7 pounds means losing lean body mass (usually metabolically-active muscle tissue), which is clearly not desirable.

So before you decide that you need to "lose weight", remember to consider that "weight" consists of both lean body mass and body fat. Try to keep your weight loss goals realistic, and remember, keep the calorie-burning muscle, and lose only the fat."

Hope this is useful:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Blood Elf Adventurer

STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Burning Crusade

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal- a commitment to excellence- that will enable you to attain the success you seek."

UPDATE!

Last week, our XC team was down in TN for XC camp. This made some of my goals harder to stick with. We would run everyday, twice a day. I was not able to eat a serving of vegetables with every meal because breakfeast usally consisted of a bowl of cereal or a banana before we ran. I cou ldn't bring my computer with me, so I did not complete a single Rosetta Stone session during the week. Yesterday XC practice was cancled, so I decided rather than running on my own I would rest up because our first meet is tonight. Other than not running yesterday, I stuck to all my goals. I had some spinnach in my smoothie this morning, and am finishing my lunch with some celary right now. I will be running tonight at our first meet, and I am off to do Rosetta Stone right now. No More Game Overs!!!!!!:eagerness:

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

GOOD MORNING NERDFITNESS! Last night was my first XC meet of the season, and to tell you the truth, I was quite worried. The High school race is 3.1 miles, which is 1.1 miles longer then my middle school races had been. There were much better people on my team, not to mention the 7 other teams there. But, seeing as I had no choice, I ran that race. YES, I ran that race, it didnt run me. I fought for my time, 34 minutes and 2 seconds. The time may sound pathetic, but I am happy with it. You know why? Because I gave every ounce of my being to get that time. I EARNED that time. I was not last, but more importantly, I beat many people on my team who I had long thought better than myself. Every step was a fight, but I won. I beat that level. And I couldn't be more happy. :tears_of_joy:

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

Congrats on finishing your first race! I ran XC back in HS and really loved it. Keep building that endurance and keep building that strength! They will both help to get your mile times down. Good luck with your goals. As far as a plan for losing weight, the simplest approach is to make sure you are burning more calories than you take in. Check out the NF articles for things like determining your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and how many calories you should be eating each day for maintaining or losing weight. Counting calories isn't much fun, but once you get a general idea of how many calories you typically eat in a day, you'll know whether you should be eating more/less.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

So my race today didnt go so well. I was over a minute slower than on tuesday. My first 2 miles went well, and I was on track for a PR, but the last mile really got to me. I felt like I was going to puke the whole last mile, and as a result, I ran slower and had no final sprint. It sounds like I wasnt the only who didnt feel well, some others actually did puke (one of them onto my teammate :P ). I am not sure if it was just the heat today(I also got really dehydrated), or if we all were actually sick. I felt much better once I finished running. Does anyone know why we felt sick?

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

I have been doing pretty good sticking with my plan. I haven't seen much results, though. Any advice for motivation? Thanks!

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

I have been doing pretty good sticking with my plan. I haven't seen much results, though. Any advice for motivation? Thanks!

Keep your end goal in mind and see if you can get some smaller goals to get you there. Looks like both your goals of 1 and 3 will help with goal 2 so keep that in mind. Each time you practice running and each time you get extra veggies you are more likely to lose weight. With the Japanese maybe read a few of the blog entries on ajatt or japaneselevleup. That helps me a lot at times.

Keep your end goal in mind and see if you can get some smaller goals to get you there. Looks like both your goals of 1 and 3 will help with goal 2 so keep that in mind. Each time you practice running and each time you get extra veggies you are more likely to lose weight. With the Japanese maybe read a few of the blog entries on ajatt or japaneselevleup. That helps me a lot at times.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind ^^

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5341[/ATTACH]

This was my beautiful breakfeast that I made this morning. It is an Omlette made with 1 egg, spinach, and homegrown, freshly picked tomatoes. IT WAS AMAZING. And even better yet, it was under 130 calories. I enjoyed its amazingness with some grapes. #YUM

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

Good morning! Haven't been on in a while. I got my pr at my XC meet Tuesday, a 29:06. I have missed Rosetta stone a few days due to a busy school schedule, and have lost some weight but am not sure if I will reach my goal by the end of the 6 weeks. Wish me luck!

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

Ran a 28:06 yesterday!!!! #YAY

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

Hello all. Sorry wasn't able to post final results till today. I DID run a mile in 9 minutes or less :D(8:15 to be exact)! But now the bad news... I didn't lose ten pounds, but, roughly around 5. I am satisfied with this though, because that is what I earned, but I will never stop improving, hoping to get the rest o that ten pounds or possibly even an additional 10 in the future challenge. I did pretty well eating a vegetable with every meal, but when school started I would constantly miss one with Breakfest, but I would always eat at least two at lunch. Rosetta Stone was tough. I love it, don't get me wrong, but it is time consuming. I did learn a lot more Japanese, but I wish I would have stuck with it. On the bright side though, my XC times have improved dramatically, I have been elected to homecoming court, and wa asked to the homecoming dance. Thing are looking up for me, and I am so glad I di this challenge, and will be lookin for ways to make my next a larger success. Thanks all

Sora

BF% loss progress  

17%
17%

Weight Loss Progress

43%
43%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines