• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeuroNerd

Paleo Friendly Liquid Diet

Hi there! I'm looking for Paleo friendly ideas for a liquid diet.

[And, no, I'm not on some crazy liquid cleanse...my stomach muscles are paralyzed, so I can't eat solid food.]

I've been relying heavily on Ensure/ Boost/ Pedialyte as major sources of calories, and would like to move to more "real food". Preferably little/ no added sugar or refined grains, with the eventual goal to be as close to Paleo as possible.

But, mostly, I want to eat food made of food.

Smoothie ideas? Soup ideas? Meals that you eat solid but would be amenable to blending?

I have a blender and a food processor and I'll eat just about anything blended, so weird sounding suggestions are perfectly fine.

Thanks!

Before I started Whole30, I pretty much survived on liquid meals... they were def. my go-to for something nutritious and easy!

They usually consisted of spinach and kale, protein powder, a fruit of some sort (normally peaches, bananas[half], pineapple, strawberry, blueberries, or a blend of) plus plain or vanilla greek yogurt or almond/peanut butter. It was normally just whatever I had on hand and whatever was ready. Always always always had spinach/kale and protein powder though!

My FAVORITE protein drink ever was one I made that mimicked Bolthouse Farms Chai Protein smoothie thingy. Yum <3

Beyond that, I'm not much help :)

ETA: Most protein powders are not considered paleo friendly. I think I've read several comments about a post-workout "smoothie" that consisted of a sweet potato and a raw egg? Good luck!

Okay....raw eggs are definitely out! That's just too gross (but I'll use the legitimate excuse that I really don't have the immune system to support that, so I don't have to try to overcome my aversion...)

I should definitely start throwing some spinach in my smoothies. I've pureed cooked spinach, but I hadn't thought to just toss it in raw!

Protein powders: I'm currently using Life's Basics Protein Powder. It's entirely plant based (pea, hemp, rice, and chia). I don't know much about all the protein powder options, except that there are MANY options. I have this one on the recommendation of my nutritionist (with her rationale being that since much of my protein comes from Ensure, which is highly processed, but a whey based protein source, it would be better to have a different source for balance). Would this plant based protein powder be Paleo friendly (ish), since its not soy or dairy based?

Is there a community consensus on the best protein powder options (even if they are not perfectly ideal)? I know there are also egg based protein powders, but I've never tried them.

I wouldn't get hung up on the "paleo" label --- you are in a unique circumstance and should embrace it as such. Yes, you can attempt to craft your diet from as near-whole food sources as possible, but chasing some sort of "orthodox paleo" ideal on a liquid diet is missing the forest for the trees.

Are you able to swallow the liquids, or is it through a tube feeding?

I know a lot of people will blend random vegetables into a liquid form...not sure how good it tastes though....

I use the SFH protein powder, which is most likely not paleo, but tastes pretty good and is probably as close as you can get to paleo.

Green smoothies.. you can hide a lot of green leafies, and some other vegetables, in them... start with a banana, throw in about 2 cups of various raw veggies, add some yogurt/greek yogurt/frozen berries (about 1 cup), some protein powder (a high quality whey might work for you... how are you with dairy?), and then enough pure water to bring it up to about the 3 cup line. Blend like mad until smooth.

You can also do any number of cooked soups... I'm thinking of Borscht, here. I've done it "raw" in the blender, or you can do the actual cooked version, and then blend it (it is often served chilled and blended). Savory smoothies (or, blended soups) are decent, too. Lots of flavor, well cooked vegetables with the meat, then blended smooth.

I wouldn't get hung up on the "paleo" label --- you are in a unique circumstance and should embrace it as such. Yes, you can attempt to craft your diet from as near-whole food sources as possible, but chasing some sort of "orthodox paleo" ideal on a liquid diet is missing the forest for the trees.

That's definitely my thought, too. It's just that all the instructions/ recipe booklets from the hospital are always recommending diets based entirely on ensure, gatorade, popsicles, fruit juice, cream of wheat, and milkshakes. Those are just not the sort of thing my diet was based on in my past "real" life.

I just keep thinking "surely I can at least do better than that"!

I'm finally getting strong enough that I have enough energy to consider cooking/ preparing food, instead of just reaching for yet another can of Ensure, so I'm searching around for healthy ideas!

Coconut milk is high calories. I like something like 700 calories a can. Blend that with some fresh fruit and some spices and you've got your self a liquid meal :D

As for protein powders, I've tried egg based and they are awful in my opinion. I stick with whey (even though it isn't technically paleo) because it is far easier on my stomach. I use Dymatize Iso 100 ( whey isolate no carbs, just protein).

Are you able to swallow the liquids, or is it through a tube feeding?

I know a lot of people will blend random vegetables into a liquid form...not sure how good it tastes though....

I use the SFH protein powder, which is most likely not paleo, but tastes pretty good and is probably as close as you can get to paleo.

I can swallow the liquids, they just have to be thin (think pureed vegetable soup through a straw, not pureed vegetables from a spoon). Usually the stomach muscles mix the foods you eat with the liquids you drink (in addition to breaking things down somewhat), and then the mixed liquid empties from the stomach. So, I just have to pre-mix my foods and liquids.

Do you use the 100% whey powder, or one of the specialized varieties?

Green smoothies.. you can hide a lot of green leafies, and some other vegetables, in them... start with a banana, throw in about 2 cups of various raw veggies, add some yogurt/greek yogurt/frozen berries (about 1 cup), some protein powder (a high quality whey might work for you... how are you with dairy?), and then enough pure water to bring it up to about the 3 cup line. Blend like mad until smooth.

You can also do any number of cooked soups... I'm thinking of Borscht, here. I've done it "raw" in the blender, or you can do the actual cooked version, and then blend it (it is often served chilled and blended). Savory smoothies (or, blended soups) are decent, too. Lots of flavor, well cooked vegetables with the meat, then blended smooth.

Those are great ideas! I've made plenty of blended vegetables soups, and I enjoy them, but I miss that "fresh" sitting down to a salad feeling. Those would be some good ways to (nearly) achieve that again.

Yum! Coconut milk! We had a few recipes I loved with that in it as a kid....should definitely get some of that again!

I can't find full nutrition facts online for the 100% whey based powders (beyond the macros)...does yours have any cholesterol in it?

Yum! Coconut milk! We had a few recipes I loved with that in it as a kid....should definitely get some of that again!

I can't find full nutrition facts online for the 100% whey based powders (beyond the macros)...does yours have any cholesterol in it?

It does not.