Essential winter running gear?

I normally wear tights during the winter months for any long runs. I have one really nice pair of underarmour but the rest were picked up at TJ Maxx fairly cheap. Even on a really cold day, a pair of shorts and tights usually gets the job done.

Up top I usually like a compression shirt, another layer (cotton t-shirt) and a light jacket. Having a decent running vest is a great option for spring and summer as it keeps the core warm.

Depends on how cold it is and how sensitive you are... I usually run in shorts or 3/4 tights plus a tshirt but starting at 0°C i really need a headband to keep my ears warm.

Also sometimes i start with thin gloves that i take off after 5-10min. Depending on my mood also a thin jacket on top of the rest..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Tights are also on my list. I have them in a few different thicknesses. A pair of shorts or longer pants (for when it's super cold) keeps the heat in. A compression top with a tee shirt or long sleeve shirt over it seems to do the trick. A light water-resistant jacket tops it all off. I add gloves and a headband.

I love love love cold weather running - once it's 60F, I'm almost exclusively outdoors until it gets down to 15F!

I have no suggestions for clothing, but for me, some essential winter running gear would have to be ziplock bags, no idea if you have them where you are, but incase you don't, they are pretty much plastic bags that you are meant to put food in to keep them fresh, but they work just as great as cheap water proof bags that you can throw out when they get holes in them, although I have used them when it's not raining to protect my phone if I happened to drop it in mad.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

There's something I'm going to have to get used to is running with my phone. I love that I don't take it with me now, it is my time to "unplug". I run with my iPod nano (which has nikeplus), and my door keys and that's it. Then again I don't wear too much when I run in the summer (lululemon capris, and a cheap tanktop), but once I get into hoodie season, I'll have more pockets.

My two staples:

a microfibre (mine is a cheapy MEC brand) hat

$20 Nike running gloves

Both are light enough to be stuffed in a pocket when not in use, and light enough not to cause overheating. I have heavier ones I wear when it get really bad out, but as you know, temps in the Hammer aren't that bad overall. Also both are relatively cheap so they can be easily replaced.

For the most part I layer up techwear (i.e. short-sleeve over a long sleeve shirt) and serves me pretty well. I used to run in a vest until I found a Descente jacket on clearance last year. It keep the wind out better than the vest and now I don't have to worry about getting caught in sleet or rain while out on a long run. One thing I've found to be absolutely key are zippered pockets. No more worrying about dropping my key or phone while out at night.

As for legs, I wear shorts down to just below the freezing mark. After that I use a pair of Under Armour windstopper pants or Nike tights Santa brought me at Christmas.

Also, I've found that MEC has better prices than running stores. The knowledge base in a running store may be better, nut I refuse to spend $50 on gloves simply because I'm at the Running Room.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I went on a long winter running gear shopping spree today, and bought 2 pairs of compression tights from Old Navy (they feel awesome, and were fairly cheap), a new tech shirt (long sleeved), and a running jacket (compression fit). I ended up spending about $150, but that is a heck of a lot less than I was expecting to. I'm hoping that it all wears fairly well, but I'm looking forward to trying it all out.

I have an icebreaker hat that I've had for years (nice and light), I'll dig it out when it hits below 0, and I just need to find a pair of gloves. I'm thinking the "one size fits most" from the dollar store. That way if I lose one, it won't really matter.

These are the gloves I bought: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/GlovesMitts/Gloves/PRD~5025-798/nike-lightweight-run-gloves-mens.jsp

The dollar store ones never fit me and did nothing to break the wind, these ones are worth the few extra bucks

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge