Motivation Starts...NOW!

Ruckus

...well after I finish eating this delicious maple-bacon ice cream my aunt made. :joyous:

Ruckus here, another excited 6-week challenge n00b. I'm going back to school in a couple weeks, so some of the things that would have been goals a month ago (get back to a normal sleep schedule) are now requirements and should be done half way through the challenge. I also don't have access to a gym until September and it's really hot outside, so we'll see how outside fitness things go. I biked a few times earlier in the summer, with my best being 11.8 miles nonstop. I've been doing some push-ups (I can currently do 3 sets of 10 on my knees) and other bodyweight stuff. Overall, I want to get back down under 140 lbs. (currently around 155 pre-maple bacon ice cream). 130 would be awesome, but one step at a time.

Diet/Fitness Goals:

1. Run 1.5 miles nonstop. STA +3, DEX +1

2. Cut out carbonated drinks. CON +3

3. Do 5 real push-ups. STR +3, STA +2

Life Goal: Floss at least 3 times a week. CON +3

I plan on starting Couch to 5K either tomorrow or Monday (giving blood on Friday and possibly going to a Renaissance Faire this weekend). I want to do at least 3 sets of push-ups of some kind (get up to 15 knees and start moving to normal) per day. Drinks isn't a huge problem except at restaurants. I have to go to the dentist on Tuesday, so I'm working on convincing him that I haven't flossed more in the last week than in the previous 6 months. We'll see if I can keep it up after Tuesday.

Final Counts:

[table=width: 500, class: grid, align: center]

Goal

Accomplished

Attributes Assigned

Grade

Attributes Awarded

Run 1.5 Miles non-stop

0.75-1.00 (got sick)

STA +3

DEX+1

C

STA +1.5

DEX +0.5

Cut Out Carbonated Drinks

Successful

CON +3

A

CON +3

5 Real Push-Ups

2 or 3, day dependent

STR +3

STA +2

C

STR +1.5

STA +1

Floss 3 times per week

Successful

CON +3

A

CON +3

[/table]

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

Pushups are my weakness as well, it's a tough exercise. I know some people advocate doing full-body pushups against a wall or bench rather than on your knees because it forces your core to engage more. There are some good examples of how to progress through the different types of pushups in this convict conditioning illustration.

[TABLE=width: 600, class: outer_border, align: center]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hobbit Adventurer

Level 1

The road goes ever on and on

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Fitocracy

Runkeeper

2012 Hiking Challenge

STR – 4.5

DEX – 2.75

STA – 4.25

CON – 6.5

WIS – 4.75

CHA – 5

[/TABLE]

I've noticed that; knee push-ups are way easier than the most inclined push-ups on my stairs. Unfortunately, the landing on the stairs only goes back so far. Also, your link is broken.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."

Haha, my link is broken because of the language filter. Original url includes b!tchitrainlikegoku and was changed to *****itrainlikegoku.

Try a different link

[TABLE=width: 600, class: outer_border, align: center]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hobbit Adventurer

Level 1

The road goes ever on and on

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Fitocracy

Runkeeper

2012 Hiking Challenge

STR – 4.5

DEX – 2.75

STA – 4.25

CON – 6.5

WIS – 4.75

CHA – 5

[/TABLE]

It's been about a week, so I guess it's time for an update on my goals:

1. Run 1.5 miles nonstop.

I started Couch 2 5K on the week 2 workout because, while I don't run, I wasn't a total couch potato before the Olympics started. It kind of sucked, but I did it (it amounted to about 1.9 miles total). 20 minutes later, I went for a 2.6 mile walk with my friend, which is when everything started to hurt. Yesterday, I spent most of the day walking around the New York Renaissance Faire, which was probably a poor life decision. I'll pick it back up again when my shins stop hurting, which should be in the next couple of days.

Speaking of my shin pain...is that more likely to be shin splints or general soreness from using them after prolonged periods of non-use (like the butt pain that follows after riding a bike after not doing so for a while)? And what can I do (besides abusing them less) to make them not hurt?

2. Cut out carbonated drinks.

Still going strong on that one. Thankfully the "soda" I had at the Faire (which was delicious), was just flavored syrup and crushed ice.

3. Do 5 real push-ups.

Push-ups kind of fell by the wayside after I gave blood on Friday and then hurt everything over the next 2 days. While my shins are healing, I'll work on knee push-ups.

4. Floss at least 3 times a week.

Flossed 3-4 times this week. I have to go to the dentist tomorrow so we'll see what happens afterward...

Strava || Duolingo

Today I come bearing good news and bad news. I'll give a general goal update in a couple of days, but I need to post this.

Let's start with the bad:

When I gave blood last Friday, they took some of it and ran some tests like they (apparently, this is the first time I've donated there) always do. According to them, I have high cholesteral. It's not super high, but it's not good. I'm 20. This isn't okay. The scary part? You'd think this would be some serious wake-up call but, aside from the minor freak-out I had internally, I lost some motivation to work out. Though yesterday I did 5 sets of 11 knee push-ups (3 at one time, 2 at another), so hopefully things are looking up.

Good news!

1. According to the blood tests, I have good glucose levels, which means I don't have diabetes!

2. My shins don't hurt anymore, which is awesome so hopefully I'll get running again soon (weather dependent, it's been raining a lot here. On Wednesday, normal non-floody roads were flooded. Rain was coming down so hard we could barely see in front of the car. It was pretty freaky).

3. Today I went out to dinner with my dad and brother. My parents will comment on the smallest things, which is why I have trouble changing my habits (I really don't feel like dealing with them even though I know it's "because they care"). I usually get soda at restaurants, but due to my challenge goal of cutting out carbonated drinks, I ordered water, which is something I never do unless I'm with friends/paying because I'm in college and water is free. Neither my dad or my brother said anything about it, which is awesome. We're not going to talk about my food or dessert choices...

I also made a new wallet out of Duck tape. Yes, Duck tape (It's a brand that specializes in awesome colored/patterned duct tape). This is incredibly irrelevant, but I'm proud of it.

Strava || Duolingo

Update from Week 2:

1. Run 1.5 Miles Nonstop

I haven't run since last Saturday. I'm not proud of this, mostly because my shins stopped hurting on Wednesday, but I have a lot of things to do before I leave for college on Friday, so running wasn't (and still isn't) a top priority.

Still going strong on that one.

3. Do 5 real push-ups.

I'm up to 3 sets of 12 knee push-ups with some trouble. It'd be awesome to be up to 14 before I go to school, but 13 is a more realistic goal.

Flossed Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Passed the dentist on Tuesday with flying colors.

Strava || Duolingo

Update from Week 3:

Moving back into school probably qualifies as enough workout for life. So many stairs.

1. Run 1.5 Miles Nonstop

I finally went on another run on Saturday. It was another C25K workout. It kind of sucked (mostly because my campus is on a hill, Runkeeper told me my elevation change was 164 ft.), but I finished it. Hopefully I'll get out more when training's over.

Still going strong on that one. Unfortunately, curiosity got the better of me and I bought a Jolly Rancher Watermelon soda. I haven't opened it yet, and hopefully it won't expire until after the challenge is over (it didn't have a date on it).

3. Do 5 real push-ups.

Still stuck on 3x12. I haven't done them in a while because packing and training and stuff have been more of a priority.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. #winning

I know "I don't have time" is suppose to be a load of crap, but for the next week, that might actually be the case. I'm back at college doing a lot of leadership training and that takes up most of the day and our gym isn't open so I can't run on a treadmill at night (and I don't own any fluorescent/reflective running gear). We'll see how week four goes.

Strava || Duolingo

Week 4 Update:

1. Run 1.5 Miles Nonstop

I ran again on Saturday (C25K week 2). I've been walking around the big hill that is my college campus a lot during the week, so progress?

Still going strong on that one. However, I will probably end up binge-ing on all the drinks (2-3) I've obtained once the challenge is over.

3. Do 5 real push-ups.

I went to the gym yesterday, but I had trouble doing a lot of (knee) push-ups. Maybe it's because I was doing other workout stuff too, as opposed to just push-ups, which is what I've been doing.

Monday, Friday, Sunday. Things got a little crazy this week, so keeping routine was difficult.

Classes start tomorrow. I'm an engineering student under the impression that this semester is going to suck major balls (this understanding has been brought to me by people who have already done it and a professor), so hopefully I'll still get workouts of some kind in.

Strava || Duolingo

Week 5 Update:

1. Run 1.5 Miles Nonstop

Went for a run/walk (C25K Week 3) on Friday. But still walking around the hill campus and up the mountain of stairs that lead to my apartment (it's 4 floors up a building on the side of a hill that requires walking up). Having procrastinated all my work, I'll be lucky if I get out again before Friday (I take most of the responsibility for this, but Saturday ran longer than expected, as explained at the bottom)

Still clean. I'm going to binge so hard next week it's not even funny. But actually.

3. Do 5 real push-ups.

Completely slacking on this one. School called and decided to kick my butt back into mediocre academic shape, so body shape hasn't happened much.

Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday. Woo clean teeth!

In other more exciting news, while walking around Boston on Saturday, I ended up at a free Andy Grammer, Gavin DeGraw, and Train concert. MLIAwesome.

Strava || Duolingo

Final check in. I got (and still am) sick, so the exercise numbers are speculation. Also, I actually don't have time to do anything Sunday-Wednesday because school work takes priority over my physical well being. Yay engineering!

1. Run 1.5 Miles Nonstop

Because I was sick, I didn't run this week to see how I could do. I'd guess somewhere between 0.75 and 1 mile.

Challenge successfully completed. Binging on soda is imminent. Self-hate is also imminent.

3. Do 5 real push-ups.

Sickness and schoolwork kept me from really working on this, so I'd guess 2-3 real push-ups.

Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. Goal achieved.

Strava || Duolingo

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines