Motivational and Inspirational Quotes

"Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress."
--Thomas A. Edison

With all the civil unrest going on in the US, I am hopeful that it leads to progress.  The riots and violence in the name of protest feed the divide.  Peaceful protest will mend it, especially if it is passed on to our children.  My kids are 6 and 8.  With the shootings, protests, Flint Michigan, the Dakota Pipeline, and Columbus Day coming next month, I recently had a very frank conversation with my kids about how awful our ancestors were to other groups of people in "discovering" and colonizing America and how people today still continue that awfulness with racism and hate which has been passed down from parents and grandparents.  Mostly, I wanted to explain that Columbus Day should not be a holiday to celebrate since it began the genocide of Native American culture.  I've taught my kids that all life is precious with equality, fairness, and sharing as the most important virtues to promote.  They recognize and understand differences better than I did when I was a kid.  They are bold enough to stand up for others.  They want to live Martin Luther King Jr's dream.   

The internet era and the camera era have shred a light on how much more progress is still needed to achieve MLK Jr's dream.  Unrest and discontent is spreading, but how do we as a country move it to progress?  It starts with each of us and what we teach our youth.

• Like 5

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

probably posted already, but reruns sometimes are nice...

Desiderata by Max Ehrmann. (marking as spoiler as it's longish)

Spoiler

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

On 24/08/2012 at 0:42 AM, JediNickD said:

These are great!

Today, I'm pulling from "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" (if only the adventure continued...)

"Breathe out... slowly... do not gulp. If you do not breathe correctly, you do not move correctly. Pitiful. I can see the deadly hamburger has done its evil work."

- Chiun (Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins)

"The trained mind does not need a watch. Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss."

"Fear is just a feeling. You feel hot. You feel hungry. You feel angry. You feel afraid. Fear can never kill you."

Great movie! Love the books!

Quotes I like:

Momento Mori. (See the Penny Dreadful episode with this title for an excellent explanation of this one.)

How you do anything is how you do everything. (Not sure who said it.)

Know Thyself. (The most famous of the Delphic maxims)

• Like 1

How you do anything, is how you do everything!

... some more Gemmell quotes:

‘We start today with a clean slate. Yesterday is gone.‘

– Druss, to Gan Hogun, Legend

‘You’ll hear people say that pride is a sin. Ignore them. Pride is vital. Not excessive pride, mind you. That is merely arrogant stupidity. No, being proud of yourself is what counts. Do nothing that is mean and spiteful, petty or cruel. And never give way to evil, no matter what the cost. Be proud, girl. Stand tall.‘

– Keeva’s Uncle, to Keeva Taliana, Hero in the Shadows

‘What can I do, when I am small and weak? Why should I not steal a little, everyone else does? Why should I try to be pure, when it leaves me poor and disregarded? How can I change the world? Yet all ideas, for good or evil, start in the heart of a single man or woman. From there they spread, one to one, two to two, a hundred to a hundred.’

– Gwydion, to Làmfhada, Knights of Dark Renown

‘All people are capable of great love and great hate. We are all, in spiritual terms, both angelic and demonic, constantly at war with ourselves. To understand this is to overcome it. Do not seek to justify hateful thoughts. Merely accept them as part of the flaws of humanity, and move beyond them.‘

– Mulgrave’s Father, to Mulgrave, Stormrider

‘In life there are two kinds of people: those who run from their fears, and those who overcome them. Fear is like a coward. If you back away it becomes a fearsome bully who will beat you into the ground. Face him and he shrinks to a tiny noise insect.‘

– Keeva’s Uncle, to Keeva Taliana, Hero in the Shadows

source

• Like 2

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

I'll just leave some lyrics here. The second verse of Gotta Knock A Little Harder, the final song of Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heavens Door. I think it resonates well with the struggle we all have to get through.

Suddenly it occurred to me
The reason for the run and hide
Had totaled my existence

Everything left on the other side
Could never be much worse than this
But could I go the distance?

I faced the door and all my shame
Tearin' off each piece of chain
Until they all were broken

But no matter how I tried
The other side was locked so tight
The door it wouldn't open

Gave it all that I got
And started to knock
Shouted for someone
To open the lock
I just gotta get through the door

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

On 14/11/2016 at 3:56 PM, RandMart said:

Um, by that time, they didn't NEED to "pick up girls"  ... the girls were there no matter WHAT they were reading; too many in fact

That's why they made up the Shark story ... to scare them away and get some work done

When the last lot of remastered tapes were released that story was in one of the many interviews they played on the radio.

How you do anything, is how you do everything!

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

"Rebellions are built on hope."  - Cassian Andor

NerdFitness Rebels have hope for a healthier future!  Keep up the good work! 

• Like 2

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Cassian said it first.  Jyn stole it, much like the Death Star plans.  ;-)

• Like 2

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

1e0faa74563c70a7289819d6d1995084.jpg

I found myself thinking that bit, ('I'm broken') just moments ago, and then read this.

*hugs*

• Like 2

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

20 hours ago, RandMart said:

I must've lost track

I kept waiting for her to say "This is a rebellion, I rebel" but it never happened

In the reshoots, they changed the character's motivation a bit, so that scene didn't fit anymore.  Instead, they focused more on Jyn and Cassian's relationship, which is why he says that line to her, then she repeats it later trying to rally the troops for the mission.   It strikes home with him, and that's why we get what follows.  (being vague as to not spoil anything)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Hobbitron said:

Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking

Increasing temperature of a metal by applying kinetic energy doesn't seem to make sense to me. I'd rather build a forge (or bat cave, to extend the analogy!) and form the part to my specifications!

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs