Motivational and Inspirational Quotes

I'm going provide a quote every weekday to help everyone stay motivated. Feel free to provide your own and discuss them. I hope everyone enjoys the thread!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."

--Soren Kierkegaard (1813 - 1855)

• Like 1

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.

No idea who said this but I feel it's along the same lines as Carpe diem, get out there JFDI (just fucking do it)

Ascribed to Walt Whitman (though I am having trouble finding a reference) or the William Wallace character in Braveheart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112573/quotes).

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Being the nerd that I am, I like to think of super heroes as I work out. The fact that no matter what, these guys never give up because they realize that what they are doing is bigger than themselves, it's something truly worth dying for. Not to say that I push myself to the brink of death when I workout, but if I think for a second that I'm going to give up because I'm too sore, to tired, or don't think I have another one in me I think of those guys and what they go through when they fight their super villains.

So, having said that a couple quotes that can almost always get me motivated are:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

And

Be the hero! (I'm sure its been said by notable references but just something I kind of thought up one day).

• Like 1

-Chase

Be the hero!

"It is not the critic that counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again because there is no effort without error an shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself to a worth cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls ho neither know victory nor defeat."

-Teddy Roosevelt

The above quote made me remember this one, had to share it.

• Like 3

-Chase

Be the hero!

Here's a few good ones.

Your biggest challenge isn't yourself. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside your head that relentlessly yells 'CAN'T'. But you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper 'can'. And then you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the person you really are.

I would rather be covered with sweat at the gym than covered with clothes at the beach.

"Wow, I really regret that workout!" ~Nobody. Ever.

No matter how slow you go, you are still faster than everyone on the couch.

Do not give up. The beginning is always the hardest.

And my personal favorite;

You have brains in your head, and feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction. You choose. ~Dr. Seuss

My goal is to look like my Night Elf Hunter in World of Warcraft!!!

Except I'm short.

Perhaps my gnome, then?

"then die" - Bruce lee

Bruce had me up to three miles a day, really at a good pace. We'd run the three miles in twenty-one or twenty-two minutes. Just under eight minutes a mile [Note: when running on his own in 1968, Lee would get his time down to six-and-a-half minutes per mile.] So this morning he said to me, "We're going to go five." I said, "Bruce, I can't go five. I'm a helluva lot older than you are, and I can't do five." He said, "When we get to three, we'll shift gears and it's only two more and you'll do it." I said, "Okay, hell, I'll go for it." So we get to three, we go into the fourth mile and I'm okay for three or four minutes, and then I really begin to give out. I'm tired, my heart's pounding. I can't go any more and so I say to him, "Bruce, if I run any more," -- and we're still running -- "if i run any more I'm liable to have a heart attack and die." He said, "Then die." It made me so mad that I went the full five miles. Afterward I went to the shower and then I wanted to talk to him about it. I said, you know, "Why did you say that?" He said, "Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread limits into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.

Sufficiently motivational there's a group on fit overact with that name

• Like 3

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Love the activity this thread is seeing! Lots of great quotes!

"Little by little, one travels far."

J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)

Spoiler

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing--that's why we recommend it daily. -- Zig Ziglar

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. -- Henry Ford

I have two words for you: brush your teeth! -- Tank Girl

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

"The worst enemy of being great is being good." - Voltaire, sort of
"The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave is profess courage and act accordingly." - Corra Harris
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion" - Abraham Lincoln

That Lee quote about one thousand kicks was an instant addition to my practice wall. Thank you!

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

STR 4 STA 2 DEX 3 CON 3 WIS 3 CHA 2

"We must all suffer one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." -Jim Rohn

"The first virtue of a soldier is endurance of fatigue.  Courage is only the second virtue"  -Napoleon Bonaparte

"Grant yourself a moments peace, and you will realize how foolishly you scurry about. Be silent, and see that you talk too much. Be kind, and see that you judge too harshly. Hasten slowly, and you will soon arrive." - Chinese Proverb

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

--Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Same goes for blogs. Also, "Always... never forget to check your references."

• Like 1

Spoiler

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing--that's why we recommend it daily. -- Zig Ziglar

I have that one on a post-it on my desk.

Also on my desk: "Don't pursue happiness - create it." Fortune cookie fortune

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp." Robert Browning

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." Something a friend on MFP posted in my feed.

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

I have that one on a post-it on my desk.

Also on my desk: "Don't pursue happiness - create it." Fortune cookie fortune

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp." Robert Browning

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." Something a friend on MFP posted in my feed.

These are all great!

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.

--Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Spoiler

Life is only what you wonder. Day is light as your brightest dream.

-The Kinks

"I would rather be ashes than dust; I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot; I would rather be in a superb meteor, every atom of me in a magnificent glow than in a sleepy and permanent planet; the proper function of man is to live, not to exist; I should not waste my days in trying to prolong them; I shall USE my time." ~Jack London

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." Tyrion Lannister in A Song of Ice & Fire by G. R. R. Martin

• Like 2

STR 5.25 | DEX 3.75 | CON 5.75 | END 3.5 | WIS 6 | CHA 5.5