Motivational and Inspirational Quotes

I was thinking about this again, and I remember there's an old Chinese proverb: “The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.”

I once saw an adjustment to this: "If you started training 20 years ago, you could be Batman. If you start training now, you could be Batman in 20 years" or something to that effect. It inspires me.

• Like 2

STR 5.25 | DEX 3.75 | CON 5.75 | END 3.5 | WIS 6 | CHA 5.5

Press on! Nothing can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; there is nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. -- Calvin Coolidge.

The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool.

--Jane Wagner

Deluding yourself can be used in two manners: to help attain your goals and to keep you from them. If you want to achieve your goals, then you need to have an optomistic outlook and delude yourself from thinking that your workout is over. Always do one more set, one more rep, one more minute than you think you should.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

I was thinking about this again, and I remember there's an old Chinese proverb: “The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.”

I once saw an adjustment to this: "If you started training 20 years ago, you could be Batman. If you start training now, you could be Batman in 20 years" or something to that effect. It inspires me.

Always be Batman.

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Press on! Nothing can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; there is nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. -- Calvin Coolidge.

I love that one! Might have to use it in my signature!

Spoiler

"This moment is for you; go and grab it" - what U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann said to the team before their epic win on 8/15.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

The quote in my sig does it for me.. Said 2600 years ago, and repeated by wise people since , like Yoda and Mr. Miagi! Lol

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

I posted this in My Epic Quest too:

Win the Battle Within: The True Competition is Yourself

Got this from a friend:

The true competition is YOURSELF

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else

It's the ache in your lungs, and the burning in your legs and the voice inside that yells, "CAN'T"

BUT YOU DON'T LISTEN, you just push HARDER and then you hear the voice whisper... "CAN"

And you discover that the person you thought you were, is no match for the one you REALLY ARE.

It is the person you THINK YOU ARE which drags you down. It the person you ACTUALLY ARE which drives you to new heights.

Let me say it another way:

Our true self does not change with our perception, but our perception of our self can keep us from achieving heights which our true self can reach.

Before challenging an opponent, you must first challenge YOURSELF to extend the challenge and prepare for it. Before or during a challenge with an opponent, fear and doubt might keep you from competing at your full potential. You must challenge YOURSELF first to overcome the fear and doubt to compete at your full potential.

The only way to succeed is to KNOW YOU CAN.

Spoiler

A few that have stuck with me...

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way. Something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life." -Fr. Alfred D'Souza
"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly.AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

-Nike ad

"To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions." - William James

And the one in my sig, of course

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

A friend of mine commented that she thought that the quote was depressing, but I find it very inspirational. I'm giving the English, but the original Latin is in my signature.

"Be patient and tough; this pain will be useful to you someday."

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 9  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

"then die" - Bruce lee

Bruce had me up to three miles a day, really at a good pace. We'd run the three miles in twenty-one or twenty-two minutes. Just under eight minutes a mile [Note: when running on his own in 1968, Lee would get his time down to six-and-a-half minutes per mile.] So this morning he said to me, "We're going to go five." I said, "Bruce, I can't go five. I'm a helluva lot older than you are, and I can't do five." He said, "When we get to three, we'll shift gears and it's only two more and you'll do it." I said, "Okay, hell, I'll go for it." So we get to three, we go into the fourth mile and I'm okay for three or four minutes, and then I really begin to give out. I'm tired, my heart's pounding. I can't go any more and so I say to him, "Bruce, if I run any more," -- and we're still running -- "if i run any more I'm liable to have a heart attack and die." He said, "Then die." It made me so mad that I went the full five miles. Afterward I went to the shower and then I wanted to talk to him about it. I said, you know, "Why did you say that?" He said, "Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread limits into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.

Sufficiently motivational there's a group on fit overact with that name

Yesss this is my all time favorite.

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

More great quotes! Keep the motivation coming!

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

--Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

• Like 1

Spoiler

My current favourite (today) is: "Tired of starting over? Then stop quitting."

I have no idea where I originally saw it, but "whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.â€

― Jordan Belfort

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

If there are any other Batman fans here:

"But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely: A legend."

- Liam Neeson from Batman Begins.

• Like 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 9  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

My current favourite (today) is: "Tired of starting over? Then stop quitting."

I have no idea where I originally saw it, but "whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

― Jordan Belfort

These are great!

Today, I'm pulling from "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" (if only the adventure continued...)

"Breathe out... slowly... do not gulp. If you do not breathe correctly, you do not move correctly. Pitiful. I can see the deadly hamburger has done its evil work."

- Chiun (Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins)

"The trained mind does not need a watch. Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss."

"Fear is just a feeling. You feel hot. You feel hungry. You feel angry. You feel afraid. Fear can never kill you."

• Like 1

Spoiler

More movie quotes, but these two have the same message:

Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape. Same here. You karate do "yes," or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," just like grape. Understand?

- Miyagi (The Karate Kid)

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

- Yoda (Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Spoiler

Here's some motivation for the new challenge! Good luck, everyone!

"All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

--T.E. Lawrence

• Like 1

Spoiler

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

--John Wayne

Spoiler