• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Laney

1 Week Paleo...

Hey guys and gals, I'm sure there has been a million threads like this but I want to thank everyone for the awesome advice , recipes and support!

This week has been awesome. After my first few days going paleo I noticed I sleep less, I don't get super tired towards the end of work (I used to get so tired I would be on the verge of falling asleep on my way home) and my breakfast & afternoon piece of fruit keeps me full twice as long. I eat lunch like 7+ hours after eating breakfast where it used to be 3 or 4 and I thought I would die. I also haven't been crabby when I don't eat :victorious:

I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't carb crash (I basically ate no bread cause I hated wasting 200+ calories on just the outside of a sandwich and a single piece of toast as a snack didn't keep me full). Ditching my brown rice has been the hardest part, but I'm going to hunt down some cauliflower at the farmer's market this weekend... Oh, and peanut butter... Almond butter tastes like a** :( I still eat minimal dairy but mostly cheese on a burger, cottage cheese for breakfast or some milk with my protein powder.

Eventually I'm going to give up calorie counting as well, but it's something I've trained myself to do over the past 2.5 years.

tl;dr: You guys rock. Also, fav recipe?

I just finished my first week paleo too! :) Yay!

I also didn't carb crash so WOO HOO for that. I was really nervous about that, as I am a big giant baby when I don't feel well. :P So far my favorite recipe is a stir fry I made last night that was OHMIGOSH so good I ate the leftovers for lunch and dinner today. It was super easy. I sauteed some sliced up chicken breast in coconut oil until it was cooked, then tossed in some whole almonds (I know, weird right? NO. SO YUMMY.) and cooked them for a sec, then added in 1/2c sliced bell pepper, a 6oz container of baby button mushrooms (wiped clean and stems removed), and half a bag of frozen broc/cauli/carrots mix (still frozen). Then I put a lid on it and let it steam a bit just until the veggies were heated through. Stirred it all around, added in two tablespoons of chile-garlic sauce (Huy Fong Foods brand, at the groc next to the sriracha), added some salt to taste, and done. Seriously, so so good. You could do it with shrimp too, but I'd add those last after everything else was in, as they only need a couple minutes to cook through.

Congrats on finishing your first paleo week strong!! Here's to week 2! :)

Go you:D!!! Glad Paleo diet is making you feel better! And so lucky you don't suffer from carb crash! I think I'm having a minor crash these 2 days...been dreaming a lot about eating carbs each night and feeling guilty afterwards lol.

Congrats! Looks like we started paleo at the same time.

Last week, for lunches, I made a chicken stir-fry last week by dicing up 4 fresh habanero peppers and cooking them with the chicken. Once the chicken was thoroughly cooked I added fresh broccoli, carrots, and squash. I am a big fan or spicy food and this was quite yummy. Habanero's are very spicy, but they have an incredible flavor.

For suppers, I grilled 4-6 oz tuna fillets and ate with steamed broccoli. No seasoning, just plain goodness.

If you love steamed veggies but don't have a steamer (I do not), you can improvise! You will need a medium-large size pot with lid, tinfoil, and either a toothpick or a fork. Fill a pot with water and covering the top with tin-foil. Make a slight concave indention in the foil and then poke a lot of holes in it using a toothpick or fork (be careful not to rip it, we only need small holes). I normally start poking holes in the middle and make circular patterns until I get to the top. Then, start boiling the water and place your veggies in the indention you made in the foil. Cover the pot with the lid (should go on if you made the indention in the foil large enough) and allow the water to boil. Once the water is boiling, you should be able to steam the veggies fairly quickly (3-5 minutes).

Edited by snowMan

Congratulations! Consider me extremely jealous of your non-carb-crashing self! Keep up all the good work :D

Haha thanks! I'm pretty lucky :D

I just finished my first week paleo too! :) Yay!

I also didn't carb crash so WOO HOO for that. I was really nervous about that, as I am a big giant baby when I don't feel well. :P So far my favorite recipe is a stir fry I made last night that was OHMIGOSH so good I ate the leftovers for lunch and dinner today. It was super easy. I sauteed some sliced up chicken breast in coconut oil until it was cooked, then tossed in some whole almonds (I know, weird right? NO. SO YUMMY.) and cooked them for a sec, then added in 1/2c sliced bell pepper, a 6oz container of baby button mushrooms (wiped clean and stems removed), and half a bag of frozen broc/cauli/carrots mix (still frozen). Then I put a lid on it and let it steam a bit just until the veggies were heated through. Stirred it all around, added in two tablespoons of chile-garlic sauce (Huy Fong Foods brand, at the groc next to the sriracha), added some salt to taste, and done. Seriously, so so good. You could do it with shrimp too, but I'd add those last after everything else was in, as they only need a couple minutes to cook through.

Congrats on finishing your first paleo week strong!! Here's to week 2! :)

OMG that sounds delicious, I never thought of adding almonds! I love shrimp stir-fry, that's basically my go-to meat XD

Go you:D!!! Glad Paleo diet is making you feel better! And so lucky you don't suffer from carb crash! I think I'm having a minor crash these 2 days...been dreaming a lot about eating carbs each night and feeling guilty afterwards lol.

I had that when I tried Atkins a while back... After a few weeks I caved and ate like, a half a bag of cottage bread, lmao. Try dark chocolate, dark chocolate is my favoriteeeeee

Congrats! Looks like we started paleo at the same time.

Last week, for lunches, I made a chicken stir-fry last week by dicing up 4 fresh habanero peppers and cooking them with the chicken. Once the chicken was thoroughly cooked I added fresh broccoli, carrots, and squash. I am a big fan or spicy food and this was quite yummy. Habanero's are very spicy, but they have an incredible flavor.

For suppers, I grilled 4-6 oz tuna fillets and ate with steamed broccoli. No seasoning, just plain goodness.

If you love steamed veggies but don't have a steamer (I do not), you can improvise! You will need a medium-large size pot with lid, tinfoil, and either a toothpick or a fork. Fill a pot with water and covering the top with tin-foil. Make a slight concave indention in the foil and then poke a lot of holes in it using a toothpick or fork (be careful not to rip it, we only need small holes). I normally start poking holes in the middle and make circular patterns until I get to the top. Then, start boiling the water and place your veggies in the indention you made in the foil. Cover the pot with the lid (should go on if you made the indention in the foil large enough) and allow the water to boil. Once the water is boiling, you should be able to steam the veggies fairly quickly (3-5 minutes).

I have zero tolerance for spicy foods lol. That's a good idea for the steamer! I'm lucky, my rice cooker (no longer used to cook rice) has a steamer. It only does a small amount of veggies, but with your method I can probably do a way more :)

Just finished my first week Paleo, as well. Had a little paleo flu in the middle of the week, but it's gone now and I am felling great. Breakfast is so much better than it used to be. Eggs and sausage with broccoli and peppers beats mini wheats any day of the week. Gratz on your paleo. Keep it up!

Just finished my first week Paleo, as well. Had a little paleo flu in the middle of the week, but it's gone now and I am felling great. Breakfast is so much better than it used to be. Eggs and sausage with broccoli and peppers beats mini wheats any day of the week. Gratz on your paleo. Keep it up!

Haha I know! Unfortunately I still have like 40 packs of oatmeal in my cupboard, but I'm sure my boyfriend will eat them. Congrats, keep it up!

Haha I know! Unfortunately I still have like 40 packs of oatmeal in my cupboard, but I'm sure my boyfriend will eat them. Congrats, keep it up!

If not, that's the sort of thing homeless shelters will usually happily take. One of the things on my to-do list in the next couple of weeks is to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I'm ready to completely commit to not eating anymore.

If not, that's the sort of thing homeless shelters will usually happily take. One of the things on my to-do list in the next couple of weeks is to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I'm ready to completely commit to not eating anymore.

Great idea, I'm sad I didn't even think of that :|

Laney. Congrats on making it a week. I hit my 1 week on monday and am noticing similar results.

Favorite recipe. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/ These are amazing when I get a passing fancy in my head for some pasta. Super filling, super tasty.

I'll have to try that. I bought a spaghetti squash last night that I want to try as noodles as well. I love me some pasta sauces, and I'm OK with not having noodles, but people look at my funny when I just eat the sauce with a spoon :)

I'll have to try that. I bought a spaghetti squash last night that I want to try as noodles as well. I love me some pasta sauces, and I'm OK with not having noodles, but people look at my funny when I just eat the sauce with a spoon :)

Meh, just call it tomato soup or Italian chili.

Ditching my brown rice has been the hardest part, but I'm going to hunt down some cauliflower at the farmer's market this weekend.

I'm a huge fan of risotto, and one of the Primal/Paleo cookbooks I have (Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals) has an amazing turnip risotto recipe. Here's the recipe, which is with skirt steak (haven't tried the steak yet): http://www.paleotable.com/2011/01/skirt-steak-and-turnip-risotto.html

Congrats Laney! And all the others that seem to start around the same time! I think I'm 5 or 6 days in, but I absolutely love the way I feel. Still haven't run into that 2:30 lul that I'm used to experiencing before Paleo. Energy levels are high, and my body feels great overall. Combined with the new workout plan I started, I've really never felt better.

Laney. Congrats on making it a week. I hit my 1 week on monday and am noticing similar results.

Favorite recipe. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/ These are amazing when I get a passing fancy in my head for some pasta. Super filling, super tasty.

Haha that looks awesome, thanks!

I'm a huge fan of risotto, and one of the Primal/Paleo cookbooks I have (Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals) has an amazing turnip risotto recipe. Here's the recipe, which is with skirt steak (haven't tried the steak yet): http://www.paleotable.com/2011/01/skirt-steak-and-turnip-risotto.html

Hmmn, I've never had risotto before, I'll have to try it :3

Congrats Laney! And all the others that seem to start around the same time! I think I'm 5 or 6 days in, but I absolutely love the way I feel. Still haven't run into that 2:30 lul that I'm used to experiencing before Paleo. Energy levels are high, and my body feels great overall. Combined with the new workout plan I started, I've really never felt better.

Isn't it crazy what a diet change will do to your body after just a few days? Never knew it was possible to get up at 6am and be happy XD