Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm Back!

Conquius

Hello Scouts, I'm Conquius, and I have been absent from Nerd Fitness for quite some time now, and if I may say, it has grown up quite a bit!

Anyway, I'm here for my second 6 Week Challenge, but my first with the new challenge system!

A little bit about myself, I'm a senior in high school, I'm a classical scholar, an actor, a gamer, and a predominant area cyclist. I also lift weights, but I joined the Scouts because I identify myself first and foremost with cycling. I'm still introducing myself to running and swimming (which I quite enjoy) so those feats will not be nearly as large as my cycling ones.

I'm

6'3" and 165 lbs

an endurance cyclist

a very amateur lifter

and a charmer ;)

My goals for this Six-Weeks Challenge are:

Fitness:

1) Cycle 100 miles in a week (+2 STA, +1 CON)

- This is simple. I have a 30 mile loop that I can do on some early mornings, or even do short rides with non-cyclist friends.

BONUS: +1 CON if I can get 150 miles.

2) Bring my Bench Press back into triple digits (+3 STR)

- In conjunction with goal #4, I'll simply use the Starting Strength 3x5 method.

3) Run a mile without stopping (+2 STA, +1 DEX)

- This will take some work. I'm going to do as much of this outside as possible, but I might require the use of a treadmill on some days. The Charisma points are extra, and given if and only if I wink at any girls while running.

Life:

4) Clean out my garage to make a proper lifting space. (+1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 WIS)

- Things will be moved, windows will be opened, and fans will be put in. Lifting is made much more difficult being in a stuffy, humid garage that's filled with cigarette smoke (not of my own, mind you).

I'm going to also have a short list of 'unofficial' goals with small rewards that will follow me through Six-Week Challenges:

- Grow facial hair (+1 CHR)

- Install a new Linux Distro (+1 WIS)

P.S. I'm currently suffering from pneumonia, so most of these goals will have to be put off until Monday, but I do have some bike rides logged from before my pneumonia was troubling me too badly to ride.

Let's go base stats!

*rolls*

Level 1

Race: Nord

Class: Scout (Bicycling specialty)

Strength: 1

Dexterity: 3

Stamina: 3

Constitution: 2

Wisdom: 3

Charisma: 3

Level 2 Nord Scout Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

<STR:5><DEX:5><STA:9><CON:4><WIS:4><CHR:3>

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

The Surly Centurion

Time: 6:22:00

Total Miles Cycled: 1940.7

Actually, my only previous ride that's within this Challenge's set date was this one:

August 6th:

Cycling

Time: 1 hour, 3 minutes, 7 seconds

Distance: 14 miles

Average Speed: 13.3 mph

Notes: Not a fast ride, to be sure. I was with my friend, Adam, who was riding his mountain bike, and we went around several neighborhoods to many friends' houses.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

I'm going to go ahead and add 'Grow facial hair' to my list of unofficial quests. At the moment, I'm fuzzy, but I want fully noticeable facial hair. On a blonde guy, it'll be difficult, but doable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

UPDATE:

So I found out where my base bench is. As of right now, I can do 3x5 at 85lbs, so triple digits is a goal within sight. I still don't feel like I'm activating my chest like I should be, though.

I also went for a short run, maybe about a half mile, and I only had to stop once, so doing a full mile might take a while.

I'm going to get started on my 100 mile week on Sunday.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

I'm going to start off my 100 mile week with a bang! Tomorrow I'm going on a 42 mile club ride, which will effectively knock out close to half of my goal! I might have to step up my goals :D.

UPDATE:

The ride, unfortunately, did not go as well as expected. It began to rain, and the ride was cut short.

Time: 1:24:49

Distance: 24.6 miles

Average Speed: 17.4 mph

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

I meant to do some heavy lifting today, but on my first squat workset, I think I pulled something in the back of my legs. I managed to do my benching, but my squatting and deadlifting were unfortunately cut short. I'm going to give my legs a rest for a day or two, but I'm going to make sure that I get in my 100 miles this week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

ERMAGHERD. Had my longest solo ride today!

Time: 2:47:35

Distance: 46.4 miles

Average Speed: 16.6 mph (I tried to keep at/above 17, and I was doing well until my legs started to give out around mile 38.)

Anyway, I feel fantastic post-ride. That puts me at 73 miles for this week, and it's only Wednesday! I'm planning on going on a metric century ride (100km/62 miles) on Saturday, so that will easily clear my 100 mile goal. I might add a bonus of +1 CON if I get 150 miles in instead of just 100.

EAMUS (LET'S GO)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

I also did some bench work today, and I managed to hit 91 lbs for 3x5. No doubt my 1RM is over 100 at this point, but I want to see if I can do 3x5 over 100.

I'm using a slightly wider grip than usual for better chest activation, and that makes the bench that much harder, but I'm still going strong.

I tried to do some running today, but got rib pains and had to cut it short at only six-tenths of a mile. I looked up what causes rib pains, and it looks like I'm going to have to:

- stop eating before running

- try exhaling when stepping on my left foot

- bend forward when rib pains start

- slow down when rib pains start.

I'm still looking for that mile!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

Broke 100 today! Went on a 39 mile group ride. I hit the wall around mile 33, but I managed to finish without damaging my average speed too badly.

Time: 2:17:32

Distance: 39.3 miles

Average speed: 17.1 mph

That puts me at 112 if my math is right, meaning that I have to do 38 more miles to hit 150. I'm going to take Friday as a rest day (from cycling at least) and pump out those 38 miles on Saturday.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

Lifting and running and lifting and running and lifting and running

No bench today, but I did do some decent lifting.

Barbell Squat; 5x5 @ 121lbs

OHP; 1x5 @ 56lbs (too heavy) 2x5 @ 46lbs

Deadlift; 1x5 @ 185lbs

Chin-ups; 1x8, 2x5

5 minute warm-up walk followed by:

(60 second run, 90 second walk) x 8

Time: 23:32

Distance: 1.83 miles

Ran at about 7mph, walked at about 3.5mph

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

I've been working on my bench using SS, and as of now, my bench is at 91. Looks like two more bench workouts and I've got my triple digits back!

As for running, progress has been a bit slower, but progress is progress. I just completed Week 1 of Couch-to-5k (Late to the game, I know,) but I'm looking forward to kicking it up a notch for Week 2 and so on. For my running intervals, I've been keeping my speed around 7mph, so when I go for a longer distance (i.e., a mile,) I think that I can afford to slow it down a bit.

Also, a note for running, to keep a consistent pace, I (sadly) have been doing most, if not all of my running on a treadmill. Mini-goal is to move my running outside and onto some different surfaces.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

Bench is now at 95, but I fear that my form is suffering. I might do a form check at Warrior's Guild and deload a little bit.

Stepped up on running intervals. Did (90s run, 2 minute walk) x 6 for a total of 21 minutes plus a 5 minute warm-up and a 2-3 minute cool down. Totaled 2.5 miles for about 30-something minutes outside. I think that that one mile run is looking pretty good about now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

Update on progress:

I've been doing a lot of lifting, which I don't feel the need to record here other than benching. I've been doing some DB Bench on workout days that I'm not doing Barbell Bench in order to help build up my chest. I still have to do that form video.

As for running, Week 1 to Week 2 is definitely a step-up, but not to the point that I'm dying. I can easily run a mile at this point with some short walking intervals, but that's not what I'm aiming for. One mile, no walking, no stopping, and possibly under ten minutes? Let's go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

As a part of THE KEY SAGA PART III, I'm going to type out my exercises for the next two weeks.

Tuesday, September 4th

BB Squat

1x5 @ 76

1x5 @ 115

5x5 @ 145

BB Bench Press

1x5 @ 46

1x5 @ 66

5x5 @ 85

1x1 @ 101

Shrugs (In between sets of Benching)

1x6 @ 46

1x6 @ 66

4x6 @ 85

Clean and Press

3x3 @ 25

2x3 @ 40

5x3 @ 56

Pull-ups

2x8

1xF

Wednesday, September 5th

C25K Intervals:

(90s Run

120s Walk) x 6

Thursday, September 6th

BB Squat

1x5 @ 76

1x5 @ 115

5x5 @ 150

OHP

1x5 @ 31

1x5 @ 46

5x5 @ 60

BB Deadlift

3x5 @ 115

2x5 @ 166

1x5 @ 215

DB Bench Press

1x6 @ 15

4x6 @ 35

Friday, September 7th

C25K Intervals:

(Run 90s

Walk 90s

Run 3 mins

Walk 3 mins) x 2

Saturday, September 8th

BB Squat

1x5 @ 85

1x5 @ 125

5x5 @ 160

BB Bench Press

1x5 @ 46

1x5 @ 70

3x5 @ 91

Shrugs

1x6 @ 46

1x6 @ 70

4x6 @ 91

Clean and Press

3x3 @ 31

2x3 @ 46

5x3 @ 60

Pull-ups

2x8

1xF

That's all I'm going to plan out for now - I have to get some sleep.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

HNNNNNG. Got a massive stitch/generalpaininmyass all up the right side of my abdomen. Combined with the new found stress of IB work, I'm going to give today a pass and try again tomorrow.

On the bright side, I managed to Bench 101lbs, officially clearing my second goal!

Also, I've begun commuting again, which is 11.5 miles/day of awesome cycling, and I just managed to fit my pannier onto my old bike rack! No more back pain for me on the bike!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

First off: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

HOWEVENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

The story:

The day was calm, cool, perfect even. Conquius looks at the sky, and he knows. The end of days was near, and if he was not able to perform in this battle, to control his troops, all would be lost.

He had been training his troops, of course, with a combination of strength and speed, with sessions of running and walking and walking to be sure that they would be able to last even the longest of sieges.

But this battle was slightly different. This battle would be quick and decisive, with one enemy pulling the killing blow on the other within less than ten minutes. His troops had to be sharp, controlled, and confident. Their form had to be perfect, every move, purposeful, and they had to act together as one perfectly oiled machine: one mind, one body.

As Conquius paced the calm before the storm, he looked out onto his battlefield and ordered his men to move.

His mens' movements were controlled and purposeful. "Let your breaths last for three paces." In, in, in, out, out, out they repeated to themselves as they moved along the battlefield. "Your form is strongest when you exhale on your left foot." Right left right, left right left they repeated, overlapping their breathing patterns. It was a lot to remember for simply moving, but it was practiced, ingrained in their brains, and allowed them to move as one: faster than a Greek phalanx and deadlier than a Roman wedge formation.

Admiral Doubt was the first commanding officer over the horizon. The only thing more shocking than the number of his troops was their size. Ten feet tall and just as wide with battleaxes that would blind you in direct sunlight. The first wave tried to do well to dishearten our men, but we moved forward. As we advanced, their troops became smaller; only a foot high, and their weapons made of fragile glass. Our troops swept over them with confidence, crushing Admiral Doubt and all of his men.

General Fatigue was the second and final commander. His comrades of archers and spellcasters began firing from afar. The spellcasters weakened our armor, and the archers attempted to pierce our shields. Our vigor began to fall, and Captain Conquius watched from the head tower. the heart of our formation wasn't moving quite right, and our footsoldiers suffered because of it, but neither of them were to blame. What was our weakness? It was then that Conquius spotted that the air units, responsible for supplying the rest of the troops, were not carrying enough rations. He gave his orders. "Air units, double time!" Breathing changed then to In, in, out, out so that the heart and footsoldiers could continue. They would not stop to drink, they would not stop to walk.

The battle carried on, Conquius' troops closed in and made quick work of the archers and spellcasters once crippling his men. Conquius signaled the blowing of the Horn of Glory, increasing battle morale, and announcing that he would be joining the field. He donned his helmet, equipped his gladius, and landed on the battlefield. He called to his men, "CHARGE!" as the last of Fatigue's men began to fall. Conquius sprinted through his own footsoldiers to face the General himself. He tackled fatigue off of his command post and to the ground where they met face to face.

General fatigue was not a man. He was a shade, whose color was, in fact, an odd shade of blue. His lower body was nothing but a wisp, his body, formless, undefined, but oddly humanoid. As Conquius drew his sword to slay Fatigue, he posed the question: "Who are you?"

I am nothing but a symbol.... of your weakness...

Fatigue faded into the ground. Defeated, but never gone. Conquius had taken the day, and tried to enjoy his spoils of war, but Fatigue's voice still whispered in his ear.

I will be back... with a bigger army than before...

"And I will be ready."

TL;DR: I ran a mile.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Surly Centurion

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines