Aeryn's First Challenge - leaving the crash site

Aeryn

A strange whining noise fills the sky. Moments later, a strange craft streaks overhead, crashing into a field and plowing a deep furrow into the earth. An elf stumbles out of the wreckage, blinking, bleary-eyed and weak.

I'm a week late even starting this challenge, but better now than later, I suppose. I'm trying to level up from swimming 3 times a week and yet having no upper body strength or stamina on land. Hence the crash-landing, since I'm coming from a place where gravity is nearly irrelevant and ending up here, where I can't even do more than one pushup.

My default stats are:

STR - 1 DEX - 3 STA - 2 CON - 3 WIS -3 CHA - 3

My workout goals are:

-10 real pushups - I can currently do 1, not with great form. (STR 4/STA 1)

-2 mile run without stopping (STA 4).

Diet:

-no more than 3 sodas a week (CON 2). I love Cherry Coke. Love it. And have been drinking at least one a day for the past year. Sometimes two. Okay, often two. So 3 a week is a major change. But I can do it.

Life:

-finish designing nephew's first year book, start B's book. (WIS 2/CHA 2) These are both for other people, which is why I'm counting them towards charisma as well as wisdom.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Welcome! You're here, which is infinitely better than not being here. :3

Looking forward to your journey from anti-gravity elf to gravity-kicking elf. ^_^

(I'm still working my way up to real pushups... incline pushups perhaps a good middle point? ^_^)

Dwarf Adventurer

Level: 0 <--so sad!

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:4

"You give into distraction as if it is a murderer. You lay there, waiting to be killed. Today: fight for your life." -Miranda July

Current Challenge:--Slaying the Beast of Maybe Tomorrow

Thanks! Yes, being here is better than not - someone has a quote in their sig about no matter how slow you run, you're faster than the person on the couch. So that's me, trying not to be the person on the couch.

Yeah, the 10 pushups goal may be ambitious, but I figure too ambitious is better than too cautious. Maybe? Worst-case, I end up repeating that goal on a later challenge. And it's something I really really want to be able to do. I'm definitely doing incline pushups as part of my process to get to real ones!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Today's report - worked out this morning, ran a mile with a water break and three flights of stairs in the middle, discovered I greatly prefer running in my neighborhood to running on a track - my mile seemed very long.

Body weight workout:

Squats 20/20/20

Pushups 15/10/10 (incline)

Lunges 20/20/24

Plank (seconds) 20/30/25

Dumbbell Row (25 lbs) 10/10/10

I'm realizing my core muscles are a lot of the pushup problem- my arms are weak, but today my lower back quit being able to hold a true horizontal before my arms gave up. Seems like planking longer/more will have to be a priority. Any other core-building ideas?

Didn't drink anything but water today. Yes!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Okay, updating - Tuesday was a rest day, but I got some work done on D's book and did not drink any soda, so A+ for Tuesday. Wednesday morning I met up with a couple of friends for a bodyweight workout - these guys are way ahead of me in their fitness levels, but I'm getting closer - didn't punk out on the squats this time, and planked to replace pushups instead of collapsing entirely (alternate hand pushups are hard, okay...). Kicking myself a bit because we ended early and instead of suggesting a quick lap or two around the track to work on my running, I took the easy out and hit the shower. Next time I'll be better. Did dumbbell rows and more planks at home Wednesday night after I realized we'd done a ton of pushing exercises and not a single pulling one.

Went out to dinner with my dad Wednesday night, had a Sprite. Shouldn't've wasted one of my cokes for this week on a soda that's not even my favorite. Lesson learned.

Today my quads aren't actually sore - hip flexors and shoulders are, plus the muscles on the sides of my ribcage. Maybe because of dumbbell rows? Not sure. Rest day in terms of exercise, planning on getting more book work done tonight.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Did a really fun bodyweight workout this morning with some friends - "going back to school" themed, so beginning with Supermans as a "I don't wanna get out of bed" tantrum, through chasing the bus, sitting on the bus (squats), fighting bullies (side kicks) and all sorts of fun. Still working on pushups/ planks as my weak link, but I'm encouraged by how much easier running is getting. I still don't look forward to it, but it's getting more doable.

Fortuitously, the restaurant I had a lunch meeting at was out of the cider I like, so water for me, and another no Coke day. Tomorrow's a party, and I've given myself a two drink max, either Coke or alcohol.

D's book is uploading to Blurb at this very moment, so heck yeah on that goal. I still have to make the covers and rebind it once it arrives, but the inside's done. Good week.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Good luck with all your goals! :D I started late too, but that's okay! We can doooo iiiit! :D

For your running goal, have you considered running with a fun app? <3 I currently use Zombies, Run & it has helped in motivating me to go running more often. My speed fluctuates like crazy but my consistency and distance has improved by a lot. :D

As for your bodyweight workout, that sounds like epic fun! :D

And congrats for getting the book uploaded. ;D

Say hi on Twitter: @WannabeEmpress

Level 1 Siren Adventurer 

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 5.5

My Challenge

Progress Log

Go latecomers! We can still make it!

Ooh, Zombies, Run looks really fun! I'll have to try it out, see how it works for me. I need an armband or some way to carry my iPhone with me, since only one pair of my running shorts has pockets, and they aren't very deep.

The party was awesome, I stuck to my two drinks and had a great time. Even taught a couple kids to juggle. Yay Saturday!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Midweek update - Monday bodyweight workout went well, though pushups are still my bane. Did 4 real ones, though, before switching back to incline, so that's progress. I think I completely confused people at my gym - I went in, did dumbbell rows (25 lb), and then left, having done the rest of the circuit outside on the track. Also ran a mile, then did a quarter mile barefoot just for kicks, which was interesting in terms of how it changed my stride. Tried to pay attention to that for future running. Also, the bottoms of my feet are pathetically tender and do not like the texturized track surface. Ow.

Today's workout was good too - I'm up to 20 incline pushups in the circuit, thinking I need to max my real ones in each set before doing incline, though, or I'm going to get really good at incline pushups without improving the real ones. Right shoulder's hurting some, need to look at stretches for it. Ran in my neighborhood this morning - a mile and three quarters without stopping! Just a little further and I'll be at my 2 mile goal.

No Coke at all this week so far. Headed to the beach tomorrow, so everything's on semi-hold through the weekend, though I'll be doing lots of chasing nephews and playing in the ocean.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

check out this website http://www.hundredpushups.com i found it elsewhere on NF (cant remember where right at the moment so im sorry to whoever originally posted it!) but its got several different programs from can only do one push up and up. as for your shoulder when your doing the push up the closer your elbows are to your body the less that should (in theory) happen (it puts less stress on the shoulder anyway) just remember R.I.C.E (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) if its really hurting and not just sore, shoulder injuries are no joke! also a fellow juggler here though its been over a year since i touched my clubs!

LVL-1 adventurer

aspiring to be a warrior/monk/assassin

Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 2 | Con:2 | Wis:1 | Cha: 4

"Courage takes many forms. There is physical courage, there is moral courage. Then there is a still higher type of courage--the courage to brave pain, to live with it, to never let others know of it and to still find joy in life; to wake up in the morning with an enthusiasm for the day ahead.â€

Okay, weekly update! Weekend at the beach had no formal exercising, but lots of swimming, rafting, carrying nephews around, and chasing said nephews. Did early morning bodyweight workouts Tuesday and Thursday with friends, swam a 2000 on my lunch break on Wednesday and Friday (hooray my pool is open again, I missed it so!). Still working on planks and pushups, and planning on trying a 2-mile run on Monday since I've got the day off, so if I collapse in a puddle afterwards, it'll be fine.

Drank a coke with lunch on Thursday, otherwise it's been water and more water. I'm a little surprised that I don't miss it that much- I catch myself looking forward to having a Coke with lunch, then decide to have water instead, and once I'm actually eating, it doesn't make much of a difference. It's just making the decision beforehand that's hard.

Hey lizzies387, thanks for the pointer to the hundred pushups site- useful! And yay for another juggler! I'm going to my local club tomorrow, so lots of club passing will happen- so much fun!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Guess what I just did!!! RAN TWO MILES! On a holiday, no less- this is when I begin to wonder what I'm doing, and where I left my previous self, because I hate running and love sleep and yet I just woke up early and went running. And it was awesome. Well, physically, it sucked, but having done it is awesome. Which writer said that thing about hating writing, but loving to have written? That's me about running - hate doing it, love having done it. Got the biggest stitch in my side ever during the last quarter mile, to the point that my entire right side hurt and I wondered if I'd pulled something, but once I finished and walked for a bit to cool down, it went away. Now it's pushup time!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Whoa, ten days with no update, I fail at writing things down!

Anyway, my 3 Coke rule is going well, though a new question has appeared - is an Izze a soda?

I'm swimming 3 times a week again, and doing bodyweight boot camp on Tues/Thurs with some awesome people who push me way harder than I'd ever push myself. My 10-pushup goal, though, is still looking very far away - I haven't tested it yet, but I'd be shocked if I make more than 5 real ones. Eek. I am noticing more definition in my arms, though I doubt anyone else could see it.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Anyway, my 3 Coke rule is going well, though a new question has appeared - is an Izze a soda?

I would say that it is a soda, while the ingredient list might not be as extensive as coke they may contain common ingredients. Natural flavors is a vague ingredient and can be a lot of things, this is in both Coke and Izze. A 12 oz can of coke has 20 more calories at 140 than the izze at 120, not too much of a difference there. The Izze is nice because it is missing the refined sugars, the high fructose corn syrup, caffeine and artificial flavors. If you are not looking to lose weight I would say that Izze is a good soda compared to coke, if weight loss is a goal then soda, natural soda, sparkling juice is probably the wrong road to travel.

I would ask yourself what is it about the coke that you love. Is it the caffiene? Is it the carbonation? Is it the flavor? Cherry Coke is also a favorite of mine for flavor alone. If you drink it for caffiene try coffee or tea, if its for carbonation try some club soda. As far as flavor goes I dont have a clue what to try for that one if you figure it out please let me know.

I would say that if Izze is going to keep you from drinking a Coke go for it, it is definitely a step in the right direction for eliminating coke from your diet. Just don't get in the habit of drinking it as much as Coke otherwise a goal for next challenge might be eliminate Izze from your diet. Good luck

Final results!

My starting stats were:

STR - 1 DEX - 3 STA - 2 CON - 3 WIS -3 CHA - 3

Goals:

-10 real pushups - I can now do ten, but my form sucks (swayback at the bottom). Half credit. (STR 2/STA .5)

-2 mile run without stopping- heck yeah, did it! (STA 4).

Diet:

-no more than 3 sodas a week- I did this perfectly, and it seems this is the perfect number at the moment to keep me from feeling deprived. (CON 2).

Life:

-finish designing nephew's first year book, start B's book. Done as of yesterday, and started collecting the content for B's book, so full points for this. (WIS 2/CHA 2)

Finishing stats:

STR - 3 DEX - 3 STA - 6.5 CON - 5 WIS - 5 CHA - 5

This has been awesomely focusing for me - looking forward to the next one!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

I think you need to cut yourself some slack on the push up goal. You went from doing 1 with poor form to 10 with not so great form that's quite the accomplishment. It's worth more than half if you ask me. You wanted to do 10 and you did 10. You deserve the credit for it, after all your goal was 10 real push ups, not 10 perfect form push ups. You worked hard to get here from your crash landing and should take all your stat points for that goal. Congratulations on accomplishing this and much more this challenge.

I think you need to cut yourself some slack on the push up goal. You went from doing 1 with poor form to 10 with not so great form that's quite the accomplishment. It's worth more than half if you ask me. You wanted to do 10 and you did 10. You deserve the credit for it, after all your goal was 10 real push ups, not 10 perfect form push ups. You worked hard to get here from your crash landing and should take all your stat points for that goal. Congratulations on accomplishing this and much more this challenge.

Okay, Wook, I hear you. I'm still not feeling like I truly accomplished the full pushup goal, but maybe that is better than half. 75%? So that adds a point to STR and another .25 to STA. Revised final stats:

STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 6.75 CON - 5 WIS - 5 CHA - 5

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines