• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waltron

How many Canadian Rebels do we have!?

Yes, my husband and I did it on our honeymoon 15 years ago. We were in terrible shape.  We didn't plan to hike it, but when we reached the base, we met some people who had just finished it.  "She's 3 months pregnant."  Well, if a pregnant lady did it, we can too. Oh my goodness.  It was hard.  My legs were killing me by the top and my husband twisted his knee on the way down.  It took us 10 hours and we had to 'run' the last bit to our car in the dark. haha  I highly recommend it.  The views are amazing!

• Like 1

Yes, my husband and I did it on our honeymoon 15 years ago. We were in terrible shape.  We didn't plan to hike it, but when we reached the base, we met some people who had just finished it.  "She's 3 months pregnant."  Well, if a pregnant lady did it, we can too. Oh my goodness.  It was hard.  My legs were killing me by the top and my husband twisted his knee on the way down.  It took us 10 hours and we had to 'run' the last bit to our car in the dark. haha  I highly recommend it.  The views are amazing!

My wife, 15 year old daughter and I are flying out there in July to do it.  None of us are in athlete shape, so we are training leg endurance right now hoping that by July we will be good.

How much water/food did you take?  Any advice?  Information?  :)

• Like 1

Ottawanite right now. Originally from Pickering which is spitting distance to Toronto. Not sure but might end up moving out to Vancouver in the next few years, depending on job.

Ottawanite right now. Originally from Pickering which is spitting distance to Toronto. Not sure but might end up moving out to Vancouver in the next few years, depending on job.

Yay finally someone in Ottawa! I'm not alone! *flails happily*

• Like 1

Raev

How much water/food did you take?  Any advice?  Information?  

I don't remember the specifics, but we brought a lunch and snacks with us.  Advice = stairs.  Lots of stairs. Start early in the day, just in case.  Stop and turn around often for the scenery. Don't bother with pictures unless you can take panoramic pictures. Go on a nice sunny day.  Bring warm layer of clothing for the top of the mountain. Enjoy!

Surviving my 4:30 am walk to Hurdman all winter long makes me feel like I really am a badass :tongue: Damn cold winter!

ouch. For me it's the 5:45-5:55 bus stop wait-and-pace out in Bell's Corner that gets me. Though this morning I see sunlight on the horizon before 7 am which makes me hopeful

Surviving my 4:30 am walk to Hurdman all winter long makes me feel like I really am a badass :tongue: Damn cold winter!

Eee!  In this cold?  You really are a badass!  I went the easy route and got a car (mind you it killed 2/3rds of my commute) before the winter settled instead of waiting at Blair for a bus that was always super late.

I'm still amazed at how many cyclists I see this time of year on the roads...

Eee!  In this cold?  You really are a badass!  I went the easy route and got a car (mind you it killed 2/3rds of my commute) before the winter settled instead of waiting at Blair for a bus that was always super late.

I'm still amazed at how many cyclists I see this time of year on the roads...

During the infamous bus strike a few years ago I was one of those crazy bikers. I had no choice. Biking for an hour and a half one way to work on the roads through winter was definitely one of my more harrowing times.....

Oooh! more Ottawa people!

But yeah, best part about my walk? There is only half the street lights on and half of my path is not plowed >_> it is like trying to run in sand wearing stilettos for the balance difficulty level haha :)

• Like 2

Oh man the strike of 09/10?

At the time I lived in Herongate and had to walk east down Walkley and then north up St Laurent all the way to Elmvale plaza for work. NONE of Walkley was plowed. Took an hour at minimum each way and damnit, I ate anything I could get my hands on when I got to work everyday and managed to drop 15 lbs because of the insanity of that walk to work. I got like three months of free transit when it ended :D

Oh man the strike of 09/10?

At the time I lived in Herongate and had to walk east down Walkley and then north up St Laurent all the way to Elmvale plaza for work. NONE of Walkley was plowed. Took an hour at minimum each way and damnit, I ate anything I could get my hands on when I got to work everyday and managed to drop 15 lbs because of the insanity of that walk to work. I got like three months of free transit when it ended :D

Yep. I was riding from Moony's Bay right up Bronson to Queen/Bank intersection. In uniform. The sidewalks were NEVER ploughed. I never go free transit, but when a snow plough buried my bike and I was stranded at work a co-worker gave me a lift... fast forward five years and that man is now my husband. So I have oddly fond memories of the strike :D

Yeah I am mildly allergic to my work shirts (polyester is evil and should die in a fire) so I was layering up hoodies and pjay pants :P I got some random high fives from kids when they saw me in Famiy Guy pants hahaha :) I got free transit since I bought a bus pass for December and they went on strike on the 10th :)

Yeah I am mildly allergic to my work shirts (polyester is evil and should die in a fire) so I was layering up hoodies and pjay pants :tongue: I got some random high fives from kids when they saw me in Famiy Guy pants hahaha :) I got free transit since I bought a bus pass for December and they went on strike on the 10th :)

LOL, my uniform isn't any better (Commissionaire). It's got the breathability of a plastic bag. I had the ecopass at the time so basically I just went back to my regular commuting after they started up again. My bike died on me a while back so now I have to get a new one before the nice summer weather so I can start riding again. I live closer to my work nowadays so that's handy. 20 min bus ride or 20 min bike ride hmmmmm ??? :indecisiveness:

• Like 1

During the infamous bus strike a few years ago I was one of those crazy bikers. I had no choice. Biking for an hour and a half one way to work on the roads through winter was definitely one of my more harrowing times.....

I got lucky on that one, I was in Toronto for college at the time.  Was a PITA when I came back to visit though.  I find it funny that 2 years later York transit went on strike and they were still better than OC is now (minus transitway)...

That's what I don't get, I mean I can understand not having a choice, but with how unplowed some streets can get and how crazy some of the drivers are, why test your luck?  Like you said it's harrowing :(

Oooh! more Ottawa people!

But yeah, best part about my walk? There is only half the street lights on and half of my path is not plowed >_> it is like trying to run in sand wearing stilettos for the balance difficulty level haha :)

Welp, bright side is your stabilizers in your legs will be awesome ;)  Bet your regular balance stuff is good too!

Yep. I was riding from Moony's Bay right up Bronson to Queen/Bank intersection. In uniform. The sidewalks were NEVER ploughed. I never go free transit, but when a snow plough buried my bike and I was stranded at work a co-worker gave me a lift... fast forward five years and that man is now my husband. So I have oddly fond memories of the strike :D

Oh wow, that's awesome (not the bike part, but the results)!  Congrats :D

• Like 1

LOL, my uniform isn't any better (Commissionaire). It's got the breathability of a plastic bag. I had the ecopass at the time so basically I just went back to my regular commuting after they started up again. My bike died on me a while back so now I have to get a new one before the nice summer weather so I can start riding again. I live closer to my work nowadays so that's handy. 20 min bus ride or 20 min bike ride hmmmmm ??? :indecisiveness:

BIKE RIDE! :D

Actually that's one of the reasons I'm looking to move to the West end (currently near Blair, work near the IKEA) :P

I got lucky on that one, I was in Toronto for college at the time.  Was a PITA when I came back to visit though.  I find it funny that 2 years later York transit went on strike and they were still better than OC is now (minus transitway)...

That's what I don't get, I mean I can understand not having a choice, but with how unplowed some streets can get and how crazy some of the drivers are, why test your luck?  Like you said it's harrowing :(

Welp, bright side is your stabilizers in your legs will be awesome ;)  Bet your regular balance stuff is good too!

Oh wow, that's awesome (not the bike part, but the results)!  Congrats :D

Actually I have to hand it to the Ottawa drivers during that time. They were all patient and careful with me. Probably because they had enough troubles just getting to work by pressing on a pedal, let alone tring to actual DO the pedalling. I've had scarier bike rides in the summer time up bank street. Probably because those jerkwads are TRYING to be asshats though.

My husband will occcassionally joke when he sees a biker in the winter. He'll point them out and say 'look, husband hunting!' :P

• Like 1

BIKE RIDE! :D

Actually that's one of the reasons I'm looking to move to the West end (currently near Blair, work near the IKEA) :tongue:

you'll be in my neck of the woods then! I live like 5 min away from that IKEA.