• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

franchise

Back issues

I started paleo 3 weeks ago, and have been super happy with the results so far. I had a real slight carb flu during the first week, but otherwise I'm overall feeling really good. However, I have started having some issues with more than normal tightness in my back.

A little background: I have chronic back issues. Nothing major, but enough that the VA considers me disabled for it. Last January (2011) I was rear ended, and that exacerbated some of those issues and gave me a couple of new ones, mostly with my neck. I'd been doing pretty well, up to every 3 weeks with the chriopractor, and after my last visit (which happened to be the week before I started paleo) we were even aiming for expanding to every 4 weeks. But halfway through my 2nd week of paleo, my middle back really started to tighten up, and I ended up pulling out the heating pad I hadn't touched in a couple of months. I went in to the chiropractor last week, and he said lots of things in my back were much tighter than they'd been in a long time. I said all that I'd changed was diet, but that my allergies had been acting up, and he mentioned something about toxins getting in the muscles due to allergies.

That got me thinking, and wondering if maybe some of the toxins in my muscles were coming from the paleo detox. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long did it go on? If others have experienced it, I can at least take that to him as a possible reason. If everyone thinks I'm nuts for even suggesting a link, then I can probably scrap that and assume that I'm just a hot mess :)

Thanks!

So to follow up, since it seems I was the only one... :)

I asked my chiropractor about whether or not the change to my diet might be part of the issue, and he said it absolutely could be. So hopefully things will iron themselves out soon...

Barring actual bloodwork I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh, I'm not particularly worried about it, nor is my chiropractor, just was curious if my dietary changes could have had a part in the issue. seems like the answer is yes :)

I believe I heard that various mineral and vitamin deficiencies can cause or contribute to muscle cramps and the like. Perhaps you should get a full blood work up done? You radically changed your diet, maybe you are missing something that you used to get?

Be sure to drink lots of water too. I find that helps me immensely when I get muscle cramps.

Another issue that could cause that might be lack of salt. If you switch to a Paleo diet from eating processed food, you get less salt. rSalt your food a little more liberally and see if that helps. If you are working out hard or its hot add a little salt to your water.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm pretty sure its not a salt issue (I've always been pretty liberal with the salt, thanks low blood pressure!), and I drink a ton of water as I tend to feel dehydrated pretty easily. But the potassium thing intrigues me. I don't really get cramps - my back is tight, but none of my typical cramping muscles seem to have been acting up. But I will do a little more research into the potassium issue, and make sure I'm getting enough. I've been off bananas lately, but it may be time to put them back in my morning smoothies.

I'll ask my chiropractor too - he does seem to think that the "detox" my body is going through as a result of the paleo change may be a big part of it. I have a massage scheduled for tonight as well, so that can't hurt.

Thanks again!