First Druid Challenge: Re-Group and Build From Within

livingroovy

PREVIOUSLY ON DRUID MINI-CHALLENGE

For those of you that were around the last challenge, we ended by fighting our evil dopplegangers and busting through our own perceived limitations. To bring everyone up to speed, there was a group of refugees discovered in nearby lands, and all the guilds banded together to discover where they came from. The refugees came through a portal from Arcadea, and were followed by the evil that first caused them to flee. We all journeyed to the castle that the evil forces had seized, and a great battle was fought. We discovered evil Steve and Staci, as well as doppleganger soldiers we needed to defeat. In the aftermath of the battle, the Rebellion came out the clear winners- but several things were amiss.

NEW INTEL

Due to a disconnect, the Druids were closed off from the rest of the group and unable to communicate. We have finally gotten through and re-joined the rest of the guilds, and here is what has been discovered:

Upon entering the throne room, it is apparent that the castle is deserted, aside from the enemy. The portal exists, but appears to no longer be in service. There is no other option but that our generals, Steve and Staci, have either gone through or been taken through the portal into Arcadea, and as of this point we have no way to them. Other guilds have been doing re-con, searching for portals, helping reset the surrounding village, and starting to fortify the castle.

MISSION

Now that we are back with the rest of the group, it is time to pitch in. Everyone is relocating back to the castle, and it is our job to secure the space as the Rebel Army makes it's next move. In order to do our part to make the castle a strong operational base, it is up to the Druids to provide positive energy and a sense of calm and well-being to everyone within the Rebellion.

CHALLENGE

Positive energy and peace of mind can sometimes be easier said than created. This is a challenge to really build awareness of how you talk to yourself, how you approach both your goals and every day activities, and what sort of energy you bring in to a space.

For every day of this challenge, your goal is to spend at least 10 minutes every day consciously building positive energy and/or finding peace in any given moment.

This can appear in a lot of different ways:

• Writing down a list of things you are grateful for
  • Meditating for 10 minutes simply focusing on releasing tension in the body
  • Noticing negative thoughts toward yourself and consciously flipping them around to something positive
  • Changing the story- maybe that person cut in front of you because they need to get to the hospital, or your friend probably hasn't called you back yet because her phone is on silent, or sure it would be great if your roommate did all his dishes yesterday but maybe it's been a really stressful week.
  • Doing something nice for somebody simply because.
  • What does cultivating positive energy or becoming peaceful look like for you?

By taking just 10 minutes out of every day, whether it be all at once or at little moments throughout, a lot of things can start to shift in the brain and in how we interact both with ourselves and with other people. Think of this as an exercise to build strength from within, to become more confident and to trust in your own power by owning your energy and your experiences.

PARAMETERS

Post your progress in this thread. Let us all know what you get up to, and if you notice anything that comes up with this practice, especially in regards to your challenge.

Successful completion of this challenge (scouts honor!) adds +1 [WIS] to your profile.

Challenge ends at 23:59 EST on Monday 8/20/2012.

Any questions, post them here!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Wow. I've been very busy with work, and I've barely had time to look at the challenge forums or update my thread. I stole a moment this morning to check for a mini challenge... and here it is: positive energy and peace of mind. This is perfect. It fits with my own life goal for the challenge, and it's something I need to cultivate right now... as I enter the work crunch at the end of the quarter.

It starts now. I have an hour.

I will focus. I will be productive. I will be successful. I can do this. Yes.

When I sit to work, the first 10 minutes are difficult. For the next ten minutes, I am dismissing negative thoughts. If they darken my mind, I'll chase them away with positive words. I will not be derailed by feeling overwhelmed or distracted.

A wandering bard, learning from the Druids
August 6 through September 17 Challenge
June 18 through July 30 Challenge
STR 4.5 | DEX 6 | STA 6 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 4
If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.

Okay, so this is my contribution to the mini-challenge: I teach at a public high school, and this is what I do every morning when I stand in my doorway during changing time:

Good morning! Good Morning! Tuck in your shirttail, please, sir! Thanks for being in uniform! Looking sharp there! Good Morning! Thanks for staying classy! Good Morning!

It's exhausting, and pedantic, but so worth it. Saying good morning to all these pitiful, sleep-deprived faces when I don't feel like it and they don't feel like it, really does produce positive energy. We only have to struggle with one or two folks that are feeling really oppositional or confrontational.

And, I find that whole adage of "act like you're happy and you'll feel happy" can make the most out of the day, especially when it starts that early!

Spider

Hedgewitch Druid, Level 3

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 5.5 | CON 4 | WIS 8 | CHA 6

Just Ended Challenge: Spider Goes Back to School

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

I love these, guys! I totally forgot to post what I'm doing, other than little moments throughout the day:

Every day when I wake up, I am making sure I spend the first five minutes (right between the alarm and the first snooze alarm!) of the day cultivating positive thoughts. My current intention is "Show me the way to experience confidence in my power and to accept that I am enough". I start there, ask for wonderful things to happen, and find things to get excited about to get me out of bed. It's the perfect way to start the day and really sets the tone for the first few hours of my morning.

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Okay, so this is my contribution to the mini-challenge: I teach at a public high school, and this is what I do every morning when I stand in my doorway during changing time:

Good morning! Good Morning! Tuck in your shirttail, please, sir! Thanks for being in uniform! Looking sharp there! Good Morning! Thanks for staying classy! Good Morning!

It's exhausting, and pedantic, but so worth it. Saying good morning to all these pitiful, sleep-deprived faces when I don't feel like it and they don't feel like it, really does produce positive energy. We only have to struggle with one or two folks that are feeling really oppositional or confrontational.

And, I find that whole adage of "act like you're happy and you'll feel happy" can make the most out of the day, especially when it starts that early!

I love this! Now, as a teenager, I probably would have told you to get bent (inside my head, I'm never that rude to someone outwardly that isn't related to me or one of my besties :) then I feel more than comfortable telling the person to get bent :)) but as an (almost) fully-grown adult, I appreciate people who go out of their way to cheer the world up :) Keep on keeping on!

As for me, for this challenge, in the last challenge I made the big decision to write & do music and that's AWESOME! Go me. But I still am going to have to struggle with that inner voice of mine that is CONSTANTLY telling me that I'm not good enough. Or "why are you even bothering? Nothing you write/create/play is every going to be any good."

If I can tell my husband to get bent when he cracks a short joke (and I have no illusions, I'm short.) then I can counteract my inner voice when it's lying to me by reminding myself that I don't really suck at everything - I've read sucky writing and heard sucky playing and I do neither one. I AM worth something, and the things that I create are worth something to me even if they're not perfect - whatever that means.

So I'll spend 10 minutes a day telling my inner voice to get bent and providing evidence that I am so much more than that stupid inner voice is telling me :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

STR: 10 DEX: 8.5 STA: 11.5 CON:12.25 WIS:13.25 CHA:10

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

"You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a clubâ€

~ Jack London

Dandelionlady was on the road when this was posted for a camping trip and won't be back till monday. Can I forward this to her via text and sign her up with my postings?

Absolutely! Thanks for looking out :)

I love this! Now, as a teenager, I probably would have told you to get bent (inside my head, I'm never that rude to someone outwardly that isn't related to me or one of my besties :) then I feel more than comfortable telling the person to get bent :)) but as an (almost) fully-grown adult, I appreciate people who go out of their way to cheer the world up :) Keep on keeping on!

Isn't it funny and ridiculous?! I've already got a handful of boys who now start tucking it in as soon as they hit my part of the stairwell. Most of the kids give me the side-eye and then grin, because it's all so silly. We'll see if it's sustainable- it does get harder once the work kicks in. We're still in early days.

Tell that voice to get bent! One of my BFFs is a writer and her agent is 4'10" and regularly chews up & spits out all sorts of people over contracts and rights and stuff like that. Get rid of stupid, cranky inner voices; it's why I chose the pic I did for my avatar!

Spider

Hedgewitch Druid, Level 3

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 5.5 | CON 4 | WIS 8 | CHA 6

Just Ended Challenge: Spider Goes Back to School

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

• Noticing negative thoughts toward yourself and consciously flipping them around to something positive
  • Changing the story- maybe that person cut in front of you because they need to get to the hospital, or your friend probably hasn't called you back yet because her phone is on silent, or sure it would be great if your roommate did all his dishes yesterday but maybe it's been a really stressful week.
  • Doing something nice for somebody simply because.

I don't want to be that person, but I do these every day. Usually multiple times a day.

I have had to work hard to make these habits. Really really damn hard, but it's so worth it, and I feel better, and am a better person because of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

I don't want to be that person, but I do these every day. Usually multiple times a day.

I have had to work hard to make these habits. Really really damn hard, but it's so worth it, and I feel better, and am a better person because of it.

Awesome. I love that this is already a part of your life.

Awesome mini-challenge! Definitely something I need but didn't get to work into my first challenge.

A quick question to the group: anyone know any links to some beginner level meditation practices I can use for my 10 minutes? There are a staggering number of options, and I know they have common themes (consciousness of breathing, etc.) but am crippled by indecision. So I'm wondering if anyone has something I can start with that they've had success implementing.

So glad I'm part of this guild!

-Mirlith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level:1

Name:Mirlith

Race:Half-Elf

Day Job:Wizard

Class:Druid

[sTR] - 2 // [DEX] - 2 // [sTA] - 2 // [CON] - 2 // [WIS] - 4 // [CHA] - 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16507-Better-late-than-never-the-quest-begins!&p=251017#post251017

"And I don't fear, that dusty god-forsaken path, somewhere far beyond...." - Blind Guardian

I am going to start with the hardest one for me, the gratitude list. I'm not sure why I have difficulty thinking of things to be grateful for especially specific items - for example I would normally say being alive as an answer, that is a little to vague, gonna try to go a bit more in depth! Great challenge and I loved reading what everyone is doing.

@ Mirlith, I completely agree about the crippling amount of choices. When I finally pick one I notice timing of speaking or the voice itself is very distracting...would love to know what other people use.

As far as meditations go, guided meditations are different from self-directed meditations. There are quite a few self-directed techniques that are very simple that don't require someone to be talking to you the whole time. For example, most have you focus on something specific for the entire time, like your breathing and when your mind wanders, you just redirect it back to your breath. Some have you focus on the sensations of different body parts in turn. So you might start with your head and move downward through shoulders arms, hands, fingers etc.

Others have you focus on a specific thought or series of thoughts. Here's a link to a site with a list of some specific meditation techniques: http://www.meditationsociety.com/108meds.html

I find that it's easiest to start with focus on breathing. Not trying to change your breathing or doing anything special with it. Just sitting in stillness, noticing it. When your mind wanders, just bring it back to the breathing. It's simple and you don't have someone yammering in your ear the whole time. Guided meditations are good if you have the same purpose as the person leading the meditation, but I also find them distracting sometimes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Awesome mini-challenge! Definitely something I need but didn't get to work into my first challenge.

A quick question to the group: anyone know any links to some beginner level meditation practices I can use for my 10 minutes? There are a staggering number of options, and I know they have common themes (consciousness of breathing, etc.) but am crippled by indecision. So I'm wondering if anyone has something I can start with that they've had success implementing.

So glad I'm part of this guild!

-Mirlith

The two I like to use are very, very simple. The first one is to focus on your breath. Just focus on your breath as it goes in and out. The second one is to focus on your mind's eye, a spot in your forehead, and just focus on that spot. Whichever you do, when you notice that you're having thoughts, just return back to your point of focus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Hello again. I'm back! I've got another goal to do 5 side challenges from the other guilds, and for week 2, I'm with you all. I really like the idea of taking 10 minutes out of your day to find peace and foster positivity. I've already started today with 5 minutes of positive affirmations on my drive home. This weekend will be prefect time for me too because I have a wedding I'm part of and a graduation party I'm going to, and I get anxious around groups of people.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I'm going to commit to turning around a time where I'm usually full of negativity into positivity. I'm typically the WORST at negative thinking while I'm in the car. Either mentally cussing out other drivers, or struggling to be patient with my toddler in the back seat or mentally worrying myself into oblivion about work stress or my to-do list or whatever. I commit that every day between now and the end of the 1st week challenge I will set my phone timer for 10 minutes when I first get in the car and spend that 10 minutes focused on thinking positive thoughts about the drivers around me or about the scenery or about looking forward to things I'm excited about for the day. Or simply paying attention to beautiful music for 10 minutes.

10 minutes. I can do that. Maybe. :-)

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Just wanted to update here, also in my challenge thread: I got about 10 to 15 minutes of calming, focused breathing in after my ex's boyfriend left right before the bachelorette party. I was sure he was going to start something, and I was ready for it. Had to calm myself down afterwards while waiting on the girls.

Level 1 Woodwose

A gratitude list! I'm making one now....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Elf Scout/Druid

Level 3: CON: 7 STA: 8 STR: 8 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

"Wolves are not our brothers; they are not our subordinates, either. They are another nation, caught up just like us in the complex web of time and life." -Henry Beston

Curent Challenge:http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?11001-Meirad-s-Challenge&p=154499#post154499

Fitocracy

Epic Quest

I did fairly well. Each day I used my free writing session to address whatever negative thoughts had cropped up throughout the course of the day. Sometimes it helped to just recognize the negative thoughts and see them in print or say them out loud, other times I had to really think about why I was saying what I was saying to myself.

All in all, I think it's made me a tiny bit more positive about where I'm at and where I'm headed :) Yay :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

I did pretty well on this. There were a couple times I need to do focused breathing or positive affirmations, but most of the time was just a series of short, 2-3 minute meditations throughout the day. I feel pretty good

Level 1 Woodwose

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines