What happened to first person shooters?

This image sums it up pretty much for me.

fps-map-design.png

Most FPS tend to have action around every corner, with AI voice chatter and other things. You never get a calm moment to just explore either (there is nothing to explore when I think about it). (for me at least)

Eh, I'd argue that it depends on the game (and that 1993 map is Doom, right? A game that was very linear, no?), but there's a lot more to explore in something like Fallout: New Vegas than there was 20 years ago in Wolfenstein 3D. And okay, you can argue that it's not fair to compare an FPS/RPG hybrid to a pure FPS, but I'd say that there are very few non-hybrid games (and comparing to an action/shooter with a story-focus or a primarily multiplayer game with a social focus is just as artificial).

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

There are definitely still good FPS games out there like Fallout, but it feels like we need at least 3-4 bigger games in-between before a good one is released. Regarding the linearity of Doom, I agree, it was linear. But it was in a way where you at least had the opportunity to look for secrets and stray away from the main path. There is definitely some nostalgia in the works, but looking at games from a developer standpoint they have become very different in many aspects today.

Well, not my genre, and I still need to catch up on the PS2 generation thanks to WoW consuming 200% of my gaming budget in the first year and 1000% afterwards....

But from an outsider perspective on much of the gaming world, where has it been going? I hear that many "realistic" war games are mostly brown-pallet clones of each other. I saw a commercial that featured three characters where I was waiting to afford the 3rd game on two of them when I got distracted, and I wish I had been a fan of some other characters that got their start in the 2D era.

I could imagine that the decision makers are saying that people don't want to pay for any more first-person shooters. Hubby was being really excited over finding a decent modern space shooter because they went out of fashion.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Doom map design is crazy, the team who put those levels together were damn good at their job. I can't help but feel that some of that had been lost due to sprawling levels just not being necessary anymore; you can make a liner map exciting with awesome graphic, gameplay, and/or timed events that there's just no need for the player to have to wander around a maze to feel fulfilled.

thanks to WoW consuming 200% of my gaming budget in the first year and 1000% afterwards

know that feeling. i think wow has actually made me a lot harsher on game design in general, especially in the fantasy rpg genre. i honestly feel its why skyrim didn't cut it for me, it was like wow minus skills, abilities, charm and friends :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

How far back did you play CS? I think I started at 4.1a, you know when the AWP still had a hip-fire sight? Good times! :D

Do you play CS:GO?

I do remember the hip fire site haha as for when i started I honestly don't know its been so long. I do own CS:GO but I haven't played much....I'll be honest while Source has terrribad hitboxes I am so used to the movement in it that I don't like GO...I am sure that will change but it just feels so stiff to me. I played CAL IM-M for a bit at the beginning of Source days so maybe that is my problem with GO...idk.

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Is the movement really that different in CS:GO? I never noticed to be honest. After changing to classic static crosshair in settings the game started to feel like the predecessors. :D

kelekona: You have a point. Can't the same thing be said about most MMO's and RPGs though? Hasn't changed much since WoW came out, people say Guildwars 2 or Tera is a great change but from an outsider perspective it only appears to be a more action-oriented WoW or Lineage. (it's unfair to say but that's how it may be perceived for a non-MMO fan)

Is the movement really that different in CS:GO? I never noticed to be honest. After changing to classic static crosshair in settings the game started to feel like the predecessors. :D

kelekona: You have a point. Can't the same thing be said about most MMO's and RPGs though? Hasn't changed much since WoW came out, people say Guildwars 2 or Tera is a great change but from an outsider perspective it only appears to be a more action-oriented WoW or Lineage. (it's unfair to say but that's how it may be perceived for a non-MMO fan)

It really is probably just a feel thing to me to be honest. To be fair I haven't given GO a fair amount of play time to correctly assess it. I did notice in order to get my mouse speed similar I had to take it all the way down almost. ALso I haven't figured out buy scripts yet which annoys me but again haven't played much. Shooting in it is much much different I think. But yeah i guess this is a round about way of saying I will eventually convert to GO I am sure but it might take a while. (The same thing happened to me moving from 1.6 to Source)

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:

@ Denny : I don't really have a point of reference, I think the only other RPG I played was Final Fantasy 9. I got sick of WoW over a year ago and went back to reading books until I get a game budget again.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

If you want to join me in a public game, add me on steam! (same for anyone else who's interested) :D

http://steamcommunity/id/denny

Most definitely Will add you tonight when i get home from the office. Though with the timezone difference may be some oddball gaming hours :) I am GMT

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:

Then it might be hard to play at the same time. Maybe catch up in the weekend or so. :)

Yeah I just added you though. My steam account is Ryan485 (I think) in game name is MagicalTrevor. :) My avatar is a picture of my puppy dog

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge: