Help! I need your guys' advice!

Summer is almost over, and, unfortunately, school is almost here.

During this summer I began working out in the morning, like, the moment I woke up, because I read somewhere that it would boost my metabolism for the rest of the day. And, well, it worked, I suppose. I lost some weight since then and am happy with my new routine. Well, I absolutely hate working out (I do a 30 min Jillian Micheals video) but it's good to get it out of the way first thing, instead of dreading it all day.

But now that school is returning, it messes up my schedule >.< I already have to get up earlier than I used to, since the bus driver's a meanie and is refusing to take the high school students (wtf?). I just don't know how I could fit a 30 min workout video in between getting ready, making my breakfast, whipping up a healthy nut/fish/citrus free lunch (the allergies are insane in my town, and some prissy teacher 'hates the smell of fish'), and walking to school.

I know what you're all going to say; "just do your workout after school!" No. That's what I used to do, and all through out the day I was bummed out thinking 'ugh, I have to do my workout when I get home.' That, on top of french and math class- uh, no thanks.

I suppose I could just get up earlier, but I don't know how my parents would feel about that. I'm not the quietest when I workout, after all. And my dad sleeps on the couch, in the living room (where the tv is), and so if he isn't up when I'm up, I won't be able to do it (I don't wanna wake him up. He works across the country, so when he's home it's his only chance to sleep in.) Although that's only a problem when he's actually at home.

So what are your guys' thoughts? I'd go for a jog around my neighborhood for 30 min, but then I wouldn't be able to get any strength training in. Some tips on finding more time in the morning would be nice- or maybe a different work out, equivalent to Jillian Micheal's Shed and Shred (mix of cardio and strength and all that), that I can perhaps do in my room each morning?

Thanks in advance!

My goal is to look like my Night Elf Hunter in World of Warcraft!!!

Except I'm short.

Perhaps my gnome, then?

If you were going to get up earlier to do the workout why not write the routine down? The exercise and the number of reps. That way you can just read through it, start to memorise it, and listen to some music while doing it.

Rilo, level 3 adventurerSTR 5 | DEX 5 | STA 5.75 | CON 8 | WIS 7 | CHA 5.50

And I dread all work outs, if I were to be honest =[

While I'm going to go ahead and assume that you used your Tardis there to try out every workout ever. I still find it a little frightening that you've tried every workout possible and have found none that you like.

You've bounced around on a fitness ball. You've run up stadium stairs. You've carried a small calf on your shoulders. You've jumped rope while listening to Hanson. You've played the Dr Who Fitness game. You've walked on your hands across a volcano. You've built a barbell out of empty milk crates, rocks from the yard, and a piece of pvc piping and then proceeded to dead lift the shit out of it.

I betcha there is something out there that you could squeeze into a 20 minute window before class started that got you all giddy in the pants.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

You've carried a small calf on your shoulders. You've jumped rope while listening to Hanson. You've played the Dr Who Fitness game. You've walked on your hands across a volcano. You've built a barbell out of empty milk crates, rocks from the yard, and a piece of pvc piping and then proceeded to dead lift the shit out of it.

I want to try the carrying a small calf around on my shoulders. Sounds like a challenge, and could be very beneficial to my running. Where to get a calf in the city... I have actually jumped rope to Hanson, but I preferred the Spice Girls for exercise...lol

Your biggest problem is not the workout, it's not your circumstances, it's that little voice that says, "You're going to hate your workout, its going to suck, why even bother, look at all the excuses you have not to work out, why don't you just give up?" Finding a workout you like is important, and like others have stated, you probably will find something you like if you look long enough. The problem is, that little voice will tell you whatever it is you want to try won't work before you even start looking for your workout clothes. It will tell you there is nothing out there as you sit down to try and think of something new. Until you silence that voice it will try to sabotage every attempt you make.

Now for the good news, that voice is only as strong as the amount of attention you pay it. Get angry, get made, blame all your problems on it (largely that will be the truth). Tell it to shut up, invoke the name of all you hold sacred in your belief system and call down judgement from the heavens on that voice. As your goal is WoW based, you need not worry about anger leading to the Dark Side, it really will make you stronger. Every time, and I mean every time, shut the voice up. It may come back a lot of times, it may have unlimted spawns, but I'm handing you a +18,000 crosbow with unlimted ammo. Just shoot it every time it gets up.

You, and only you, can defeat your voice, but in reality that voice is weak, you are strong, you just don't know it yet.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Your biggest problem is not the workout, it's not your circumstances, it's that little voice that says, "You're going to hate your workout, its going to suck, why even bother, look at all the excuses you have not to work out, why don't you just give up?" Finding a workout you like is important, and like others have stated, you probably will find something you like if you look long enough. The problem is, that little voice will tell you whatever it is you want to try won't work before you even start looking for your workout clothes. It will tell you there is nothing out there as you sit down to try and think of something new. Until you silence that voice it will try to sabotage every attempt you make.

Now for the good news, that voice is only as strong as the amount of attention you pay it. Get angry, get made, blame all your problems on it (largely that will be the truth). Tell it to shut up, invoke the name of all you hold sacred in your belief system and call down judgement from the heavens on that voice. As your goal is WoW based, you need not worry about anger leading to the Dark Side, it really will make you stronger. Every time, and I mean every time, shut the voice up. It may come back a lot of times, it may have unlimted spawns, but I'm handing you a +18,000 crosbow with unlimted ammo. Just shoot it every time it gets up.

You, and only you, can defeat your voice, but in reality that voice is weak, you are strong, you just don't know it yet.

THIS

Good luck, we're with you. It's not easy but you can do it. :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Orc Ranger

Str: 7, Dex: 2, Sta: 7, Con 4, Wis: 1, Cha: 3

Given what others have said, you haven't exactly left a whole lot of choices. It's gonna boil down to finding exercise you like, or don't exercise. Except the second really isn't (well, SHOULDN'T be) an option.

In the long run though, you WILL NOT stick to exercise unless it becomes something you look forward to. You certainly won't make any progress if you don't want to put your heart into it.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I second that - prep the night before can be so much help! I have to get my kids fed, dressed and drive them to school in the morning. But I'm so not a morning person... so anything that I can do the night before, I'll do it. That includes making the lunches, laying out the kid's clothes, getting the school bags packed and ready by the front door. Any little thing you can do the night before will free up time in the morning, and make your morning a little less daunting. Good luck!!

JJhttp://1-goodthing.blogspot.com

JJ, level 2 Hobbit AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 7.5|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4

A workout video that you hate? Bad idea.

A workout that you can do on your own that you enjoy? Good idea.

Just try out something different. You'll find something you enjoy. Yeah, it's ALWAYS gonna be hard work, but at the very least, you should feel good after you're done with it.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Check out www.bodyrock.tv They have a ton of 12 minute workouts that have gotten me stronger and lost 54 lbs since starting in January. They are almost all body weight. No excuses. It doesn't matter how much it sucks, I can do anything for 12 minutes. That being said, I find that I look forward to them now.

This is important. I used to dread workouts too. But I found one I didn't hate, and I could do in a short amount of time. I sometimes add an extra circuit to take me out to 16 minutes....... this may not be IT for you, but keep looking around until you find it.

Also, I am echoing everyone else, so we are all either brilliant or we are negative genius, prep the night before. Makes all the difference in the world.

Fight the good fight

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

to add to all the great ideas from everyone another thing is you can

do strength training with you run and making more of an interval

training session. such as sprint from one lamp pole to another drop

and do push-ups/crunches/squats. and then sprint again, or even break

it up sprint--as many push ups as you can---sprint--as many squats as

you can--sprint--as many crunches as you can--etc rinse-lather-repeat

as needed. yes your doing this on the ground but hey dirty and sweaty

= baddassary right? =D

_note_ i might be repeating some stuff thats on the bodyrock but its

not loading for me right now so i apologize if it is.

LVL-1 adventurer

aspiring to be a warrior/monk/assassin

Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 2 | Con:2 | Wis:1 | Cha: 4

"Courage takes many forms. There is physical courage, there is moral courage. Then there is a still higher type of courage--the courage to brave pain, to live with it, to never let others know of it and to still find joy in life; to wake up in the morning with an enthusiasm for the day ahead.â€

Do you play any sport, Ginnereva?

Ronny

Spartan adventurer

STR:2 DEX:3 STA:4 CON:2 WIS:2 CHA:2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Push the pace" - Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson

"Blood, sweat and respect. First two you give, last one you earn." - Dwayne 'the rock' Johnson

"The world has a habit of making room for the man whose words and actions show that he knows where he's going."

"See the invisible, believe the incredible, achieve the impossible."

"A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That's why they don't get what they want" - Madonna

I agree with everything here re: liking your workouts. I only comment to add that I ran into this same situation in high school. I ended up going the no workout path. As a result, I didn't come back to fitness until after my first year of law school when I was 23. I've thought often how different my college years would have been if I had stuck with a fitness routine after losing my initial 20 pounds my sophomore year of high school. I'm guessing if I had stuck with it, I would not have looked like this at my college graduation:

[ATTACH]5267[/ATTACH]

My point is that you've already made progress and started on the habit. So don't take the easy out now. Like others have said, mess around until you find something you like. I once said I would never like running. Then I did couch to 5k and kept running from there. You won't know until you try.

Good luck!

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Do you like to dance? You can dance after school in your room or something, there are some workout dance videos that are pretty fun. How long is your walk to school, could you jog there instead? I know you would get sweaty, but you could bring deodorant, a hair brush, etc... to clean up when you get there. If you really want it you will find a way. I think the real key, like others said, is to find something you like. Cycling, hiking, dancing, climbing, running, whatever. Something. If you can do just a little bit here and there, then do that. If you can fit in a big, fat session on the weekends, do that. Try to shave time off other things in your day. For example, I take really long showers. If I shave them down a bit, I could make more time for working out before them. Even if it is only a 10 minute workout, it's something.

Good luck! Love your icon :D