Nerd Fitness Fantasy Football!

Happened to me too, but I was at the game and couldn't get through the giant cluster**** of using data. During games it is impossible to get data or even good cell service within a mile of Licoln Financial Field.

Yep, I had Gates in my starting lineup in one league. Was too fixated on the awesomeness that is the Red Zone Channel to catch the scratch and adjust my lineup accordingly.

Now I've got a 2 point lead and Eric Decker going against Matt Ryan tonight. It isn't looking too good.

Lookin good in the NF league though. Carried by Eli and his LOL passing numbers.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Yep, I had Gates in my starting lineup in one league. Was too fixated on the awesomeness that is the Red Zone Channel to catch the scratch and adjust my lineup accordingly.

Now I've got a 2 point lead and Eric Decker going against Matt Ryan tonight. It isn't looking too good.

Lookin good in the NF league though. Carried by Eli and his LOL passing numbers.

Are you me? I have Manning and Decker as well, and my opponent has matt ryan.

However I've got a 40 point lead thanks to the efforts of Danny Amendola, Ray Rice, and Pierre Thomas.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

I hear ya CH. In one league I have Aaron Hernandez at TE and Chris Johnson as one of my backs (benched him in favor of Reggie Bush). In the other league I started CJ instead of Frank Gore....yeah that bit me in the arse. :\

I also tend to play the project numbers a lot with some of my backup/role players. I usually end up with a lot of moves, but it sucks being on the bottom end of the waiver priority list. Missed a couple big pickups already because of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I hear ya CH. In one league I have Aaron Hernandez at TE and Chris Johnson as one of my backs (benched him in favor of Reggie Bush). In the other league I started CJ instead of Frank Gore....yeah that bit me in the arse. :\

I also tend to play the project numbers a lot with some of my backup/role players. I usually end up with a lot of moves, but it sucks being on the bottom end of the waiver priority list. Missed a couple big pickups already because of it.

I have Hernandez, Chris Johnson, and Fred Jackson in my work league. I still beat my boss by 1.3 points this week though! Even after accidentally sitting Johnson instead of Jackson. There was not a large difference in production between the two.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Bah! A nail biter loss this week. Sat Deangelo Williams for a week in flex and he has a great game, of course. P.s. I can't exactly get upset that Romo was awful this week as he lost to my Seahawks :D

I have D willy too. What the hell do you mean great game? He had 12 points. I'm in a 16 person league and I don't think that's good :P

In a 16 person league, I happen to be in the toughest division. I'm 2-3, the worst person in my division, and if Amendola hadn't got hurt last week I would have outscored every other player outside my division (including one of the players in my division). I also happen to lead the league in points against, 651 in 6 games. (My average opponent scores 108 points).

Things are looking up this week though. Welker and Rice alone outscored my opponent with 52 points!

Ok, etiquette question. Here's where my game is at this week:

FF.jpg

So I'm out in front by a whopping 2 passing yards. I still have DeSean Jackson going tonight, and my opponent is done. Here's the question - is there any reason to play Jackson at all? Let's say somehow he catches a pass in the backfield for a loss of one and gets hurt on the play...then I would lose.

I realize how improbable that is, but the poker player in me doesn't care. Win equity = 100% by sitting him for an empty slot, and 99.99% by playing. One is bigger than the other, and thus the "correct" choice.

All that said, if that kind of thing is frowned upon as a douchey move, or whatever - then I'll play him. I'm not really worried that he'll actually go negative, and there could be something else I'm not considering. Like, do total points matter in a tiebreaker scenario? It looked like our settings were for head-to-head, but maybe points could come into play in a 3-way tie - who knows.

Anyway, it's a dumb question - and one that probably doesn't even matter at the end of the day, but I'm new to this whole fantasy football thing, and was curious what others would do in the same situation.

I think it's fair to pull him, here are a few similar situations in real football.

-pulling your starting qb to prevent injury with a lead

-the qb kneel, which is technically a run but was made as a give up play to avoid fumbling or stripping the ball

-running back getting a big run and stopping at the 1 yard line to keep posession and run out the clock (with qb kneels) instead of scoring and giving the other team a chance to catch up.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I would sit him. That's not a lame move at all.

Like was pointed out, the other side of the coin is that you are giving up on potential points, which can matter for playoff seeding.

It boggles the mind that I keep winning in the NF FF league. What on earth, my team is terrible. I've been so injury ravaged that I was starting waiver wire crap at both RB spots. Somehow I've been very lucky to just keep on winning.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

2 passing yards is too small of a window to sit him for me. There is a chance that 2 passing yards could shift based on entry error. The stats are not official until STATS Inc says they are. I believe STATS Inc has one person entering stats live and at least three people recording in delay, then more people who watch the game film and compile the stats. All entries are used to determine the official stats days later. I worked for them briefly.

I'd play him unless the window is 10+ points.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

2 passing yards is too small of a window to sit him for me. There is a chance that 2 passing yards could shift based on entry error. The stats are not official until STATS Inc says they are. I believe STATS Inc has one person entering stats live and at least three people recording in delay, then more people who watch the game film and compile the stats. All entries are used to determine the official stats days later. I worked for them briefly.

This is a good point, I've been adjusted a full 2 points before. You may want to play him to be safe. He's not typically a fumbler and has had great hands so far this season (Eagles fan here), so unless the only time he touches the ball is on one of the dorky end arounds and it bombs, you should be fine.

Also, Saints have the worst passing D in the country right now, so he's pretty sure to get a few points.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm officially asking you all of my fantasy questions because I would have NEVER thought of this. I'm more thinking of my shitty RBs that usually lose me points. Very smart!

Hmm, this is exactly the kind of thing that falls into "something else I was not considering". Like I said, I'm new to this, so I have no idea how rare/common it is for those kinds of adjustments to be made. More rare/common than a WR posting a negative total?

If the window were 10+ points though, there would be almost no downside risk, since the chances of him fumbling 5 times (without gaining any yardage) would be basically zero. At that point, I would definitely play him for his expected point contribution for potential playoff tiebreakers. Which I guess leads to the next (hypothetical) question - is there a margin in which sitting him would be the right move?

Also, Saints have the worst passing D in the country right now, so he's pretty sure to get a few points.

Yeah, I was thinking about this too.

So basically, even though it may not matter one way or the other, but I'll probably end up playing him now. Thanks for all of the insight everyone!

So basically, even though it may not matter one way or the other, but I'll probably end up playing him now. Thanks for all of the insight everyone!

I'll be thinking of you when his first catch is a 0 yd screen pass that he fumbles as he gets knocked out of the game with injury. :tongue:

But yeah I'd say the odds of adjusting yardage ever-so-slightly to the point that you lose is more likely than the above scenario.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Hmm, this is exactly the kind of thing that falls into "something else I was not considering". Like I said, I'm new to this, so I have no idea how rare/common it is for those kinds of adjustments to be made. More rare/common than a WR posting a negative total?

If the window were 10+ points though, there would be almost no downside risk, since the chances of him fumbling 5 times (without gaining any yardage) would be basically zero. At that point, I would definitely play him for his expected point contribution for potential playoff tiebreakers. Which I guess leads to the next (hypothetical) question - is there a margin in which sitting him would be the right move?

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever leave an empty slot on purpose. They are on my team because I expect them to score points. 10+ in a playoff game? Maybe I consider it more, but doubtful.

Really, it depends on if you are willing to gamble on a score adjustment or a negative score from one of your players, which depends a lot on the player. I'd say a point adjustment was more likely in your case, but then 87.4% of statistics are made up on the spot. Two points is probably the largest margin you consider this option, because of fumbles and interceptions being worth -2. Defenses and Kickers might have different thresholds.

In hindsight, playing him was the right call as he scored high.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Ok, etiquette question. Here's where my game is at this week:

FF.jpg

So I'm out in front by a whopping 2 passing yards. I still have DeSean Jackson going tonight, and my opponent is done. Here's the question - is there any reason to play Jackson at all? Let's say somehow he catches a pass in the backfield for a loss of one and gets hurt on the play...then I would lose.

I realize how improbable that is, but the poker player in me doesn't care. Win equity = 100% by sitting him for an empty slot, and 99.99% by playing. One is bigger than the other, and thus the "correct" choice.

All that said, if that kind of thing is frowned upon as a douchey move, or whatever - then I'll play him. I'm not really worried that he'll actually go negative, and there could be something else I'm not considering. Like, do total points matter in a tiebreaker scenario? It looked like our settings were for head-to-head, but maybe points could come into play in a 3-way tie - who knows.

Anyway, it's a dumb question - and one that probably doesn't even matter at the end of the day, but I'm new to this whole fantasy football thing, and was curious what others would do in the same situation.

This was against me!! I am glad you didn't sit him I would've been greatly offended...(I say this with as much sarcasm as I can over the internets) :) I think in the situation you were in I would have sat him to be honest, I mean he scored 20pts so it didn't matter but the competitor in me would have taken the guarantee win if I was you. Anywho cheers to a good game sir! :applause:

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5