Your Favourite Running Shoes for Given Occasions

So, I've recently gotten into running, and am working on getting better with VFFs (which I LOVE). I also want to keep increasing the distance I run (last week I hit 6 miles! woohoo!), which I obviously can't do in VFFs (yet? ever?). The current running shoes I own are $40 pairs I got from Winners - Nike/Reebok/holycrudmyheeliswaytoohighofftheground.

Personally, I'm asking after four kinds of shoes, because these are the four events I'll be doing in the next year. I will likely sign up for more, but these initial ones are all so different, they'll still give me a great place to start re: shoes. If you have recommendations that you think cover more than one of the events, then PLEASE let me know! I'm not made of money :tongue:

TL;DR: If I'm looking for shoes for Event X, what would you suggest?

-5km run (September 9th)

-10km mud run (September 30)

-half-marathon (March 23)

-Tough Mudder (August 2013)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

I love my Nike Free Runs for all road running. I am trying to transition to Inov-8 F-Lite 230's (https://secure-vip.zappos.com/product/7420600/color/8768), but so far I am really just using them for lifting, walking, and conditioning workouts.

I bought Inov-8 Mudroc 290's for trail and other off-road running (https://secure-vip.zappos.com/product/7310090/color/139) and they are awesome! I would not want to run on the road with these though (they have pretty hard bottoms, it feels like running in cleats on the road). I am planning on running my Super Spartan race in these, and they would be great for a Tough Mudder.

I love that Inov-8 "performance" fit, it is perfect for the shape of my foot.

"Anyone can carry his burden, however hard, until nightfall. Anyone can do his work, however hard, for one day. Anyone can live sweetly, patiently, lovingly, purely, till the sun goes down. And this is all life really means." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

Great, thank you!! I will look into those. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise