PK roll video.. feedback is appreciated

so as part of my challenge I'm practicing the PK(Parkour) roll, as taught in this video by Ryan Doyle here -

I'm currently just practicing progression(lvl) 1

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

here is the video of my practice(I had to leave for work before It got done processing so it still may be.. it's only 2 minutes long but youtube takes forever these days)

any and all feedback and advice is appreciated! thank you. and yes that is an official Assassin's Creed Ezio shirt :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

Okay, I can see it now.

Like Kirkor said, try to go across your back rather than down one side.

Here's another tip: when you're rolling, try to kick the air. Have your legs straight once you're off them, right up until the end, when you tuck them up to get back under your body. Once you learn to do that, you can practice EXPLODING up right after your roll. This is all less about safety (the primary purpose of rolls) and more about preserving momentum (a secondary purpose of rolls).

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Thanks for the tips so far guys.. I was very surprised when I saw the video myself as it doesn't FEEL the way it looks. I've come to find more and more that everyone's advice about recording yourself is extremely important.

I think it may be that I'm forcing my head to the side a bit too much and my body is following. I'm trying not to flip over my head but do what he does in the video.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

man, that is a great instructional video. i'm a judo player in the monks guild and sometimes i have to teach classes. one of the things that is hardest to teach is the forward roll. our judo roll is almost exactly the same. i'm going to teach people using his technique, which is awesome. the only thing we do different when we teach it is that instead of holding our foot, we shoot our arm (that we would be holding our foot with) between our legs and follow that thru into the roll. i don't know if that will work, but it might be worth a try. i also think that it's easier if you're a little more dynamic. add a little speed and see if it helps. :)

Ash: Ogre MonkSTR: 6, DEX: 3, CON: 7, STA: 5, WIS: 8, CHR: 3: :pirate:

Mil, guys like you and Dragon have inspired me to do the videos! more of us should do this to help ourselves and others.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First off wow, this is a great instructional video you have linked! The PK roll is almost identical to the forward roll they taught us in the police academy for recovering from a fall when we were chasing someone. (I think we learned the judo roll based on the post above mentioning it...)

Secondly it looks like you are getting the idea of the roll in your uploaded video. I am no expert in these matters, but I second the idea that you may want to try "kicking" the air. I personally have always found (cause I used to do dive rolls as a kid in the back yard when jumping off of things) that you may want to increase your forward momentum. Springing into the roll seems to help me, and like the instructional video says, it can dampen the impact to your knees.

Again, great progress on your part and I may have to practice my rolls now.... :P

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Ok... so it is the end of the challenge and I decided to make yet another roll video....

I am still rolling off one side of my body, as can be seen by the wet line on my back. I have been consciously trying to kick my leg and I think that helps. In all honesty I feel did much better rolls on Wednesday but thats no excuse lol. I "Feel" like I am flipping over.. however the video shows me rolling/flipping to the side.. which makes no sense to my senses and perception.

I'm trying to reconcile the kicking and the rolling... I don't think I understand how to roll from one shoulder to the opposite hip.. I'm a slow learner when it comes to most things. I feel I definitly progressed in the ease of which I roll.. but I have a long way to go.

any feedback or advice will be gladly accepted!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To me, it looks like you're throwing your body to the side in an effort to get your head out of the way. Instead, try tucking your head into the back shoulder. Also, for me at least, rolling with your hand under your foot is just uncomfortable placement. You can try keeping your arm at the same relative angle, but rotate it so your hand is now sitting somewhere infront of your foot wherever feels comfortable. Think holding a ball diagonally as far as arm position goes. That's at least how I learned it a few years ago. I'll see if I can find a video later today to explain it better.

Edit: In the tutorial video you posted in the OP, he starts showing the hand placement I'm talking about in Progression 2. Try doing that hand placement from a kneeling position.

Fantastic. Glad to see the progression.

1. Move your right hand out from under your foot and start using it as part of your roll

You will now need to learn how to replace your hand the BACK of your shoulder, which requires you to pull it in.

2. Press forward with your legs more. I don't know if your pressing your toes into the ground or keeping them flat. Press them into the ground.

3. With your right hand try pointing.

4. The more advanced the roll the more the handplacement feels like a handstand.

Try this. Start by pointing your right hand forward. Keep your eyes on that line as you reach forward with your hands (right hand farther forward than the left). This will pull your right shoulder and right side of your hip a little farther forward which creates a straight line from your right shoulder to your opposite hip. The left hand can stay on the ground until your roll naturally pulls your hand away. The right however is replaced by the BACK of the shoulder (like you are already doing). The key to doing that when the hand is in front of you is pressing forward with your legs. Tuck your left leg under your right as you curl (like you're doing). Slow your tuck down and stand up.

Once you get this, start crouching/squating, standing, jump land on your toes then roll, and finally diving.

Why's this in Bodyweight Strength training? (same question for all other Assassin/Parkour/Gymnastics-related threads)

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Why's this in Bodyweight Strength training? (same question for all other Assassin/Parkour/Gymnastics-related threads)

because this is the old Assassin's Den Forum.. they renamed it lol. and yes no one has bothered to put the old parkour related stuff from here into the new parkour forum.

man I miss the Den ...

and thanks Cianalas and Ryan for the tips... From here on in I'll move on to the next progressions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]