Anyone see this article re: the Western States 100?

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/08/11/western-states-100-low-carber-wins-ultramarathon-steve-phinney-and-jeff-volek-study/

I'm really interested to know if any of you train and/or race LC/HF. It's been eight years since I ran a marathon and at the time I most definitely did not eat even a remotely high fat diet. Any thoughts?

I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to eat/train this way at the ultra distances rather than, say, 1/2 marathon or marathon, or if performance would increase at those race distances as well.

Newbie scout.

First challenge.

STA: 1

CON: 1

very interesting article...

it makes me want to try low carb just to test it personally.

every time I do a long (for me) run, my stomach ends up mad at me for the rest of the day.

I would think that there would be a good carryover to the marathon because only the elite runners can run one without refueling or using fat stores. The half marathon is short enough that the 'fat utilization' aspect probably wouldn't have as big of an impact, although it may still have an effect.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself