“Coachingâ€

2nd CC - Ice Breaker

Opening:  At the District 18 conference this spring, Darren LaCroix, 2001 Public Speaking World Champion, posed this question during his keynote address: “If you knew you would not fail, what would you dare to dream?† I didn’t have to think very long.  If I knew that I would not fail, then I’d be a coach, because I love teaching and inspiring people helping them find and reach their dreams.  I’d be a life coach. 

Lead:  Throughout my life, I’ve picked up plenty of practice as a youth rugby coach, as a father, and as a Toastmasters mentor.

First Main Point:  Coaching youth rugby

Sub points:  My first team of 12 to 15 year olds 14 years ago.  SYC just starting out.  Keeping in touch with all the players I coached on Facebook.  Watching how they grow into adults is very full-filling.

Second Main Point:  Raising children

Sub points:  My kids are 3 and 6.  6 started kindergarten this past year.  Doing homework, reading and writing, I would have to encourage her to keep trying and working hard. 

Third Main Point:  Mentoring Toastmasters

Sub points:  Working with adults is a little different.  Last year, I took on my first Toastmasters mentee.  Inspiring people to reach their potential.  In the last couple months with the starting of a monthly Toastmaster Mentoring Session, I found I can lead an entire class.

Summary:  Coaching youth rugby showed me how full-filling teaching can be.  Raising my own children, I learned all about encouraging in a variety of different ways.  Mentoring my fellow Toastmasters, I discovered that I can inspire people to reach their potential.

Conclusion:  I am daring to dream.  I am researching what it would take to start coaching professionally.  I might not know much about it right now, but I do know plenty about doing it for free.  If you knew you wouldn’t fail, then what would you dare to dream?

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

I started recording my speeches so I can improve further.  I hate watching and listening to myself, because most the time I am awful, but I crushed it with my Coaching speech.  I'm glad I have that one on video. 

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

“Houston, We've had a Problemâ€

2nd CC - Visual AidsOpening:   â€œHouston, we’ve had a problem.† For the 1995 film, Apollo 13, the quote by Jim Lovell was changed to the present-tense for the much more popular “Houston, we have a problem.† Space travel conjures up all sorts of complex problems.  No matter how advanced our technology, the most difficult problem will always be getting there. 

Lead:  Today, I’ll briefly explain some fundamentals about space followed by the difficulty in getting there and staying there.

First Main Point:  Space is in motion

Sub points:  Orbits, Inertia

Second Main Point:  Launching takes a lot of fuel

Sub points:  Weight versus Energy

If you were to replace typical rocket fuel with model rocket engines, then you’d need 65,000 of them just to up to 2 km/s and reach space, but you would not be going fast enough to stay there.  To stay in orbit, to reach 8 km/s, your model rocket powered spaceship would be a pancake-shaped mountain of model rocket engines over a mile wide with a 10 meter high spire in the middle.  Such a vehicle would weigh as much as the Great Pyramid and would probably crumble under its own weight.   The words vehicle and spaceship would be very misleading as you would have created an unstable pile of gunpowder the size of Central Park. 

That gives you an idea about what type of problem the weight versus energy problem is.  Now, let’s get an idea about how fast 8 km/s really is.

Third Main Point:  Orbital Speed is fast

What’s the fastest you’ve ever driven?  100 mph?  That’s a little less than 0.05 km/s. 

The world record for a jet engine powered aircraft in Earth’s atmosphere is Mach 9.7 or 7500 miles per hour which converts to just 3.36 km/s, not fast enough for orbit, but fast enough to get to space.  Get that engine out of the Earth’s atmosphere, you lose the air resistance.  You can achieve much higher speeds with less powerful engines.

Sub points:  International Space Station and “I’m Gonna Beâ€

Summary:  Space travel will always be a difficult problem for us, because getting there is not an easy task.  Everything in space is in motion and relative to us space is really fast.  It takes a lot of fuel to get to space, because you have to get the fuel to space too.

Conclusion:   Next time you watch a movie involving space travel, think of the International Space Station streaking across the sky going 1000 miles in just three and half minutes.

Spoiler

I completed my 2nd Competent Communicator with these last 10 speeches to help my club reach President's Distinguished while also proving to myself that familiar topics make talking in public easy.  My best topics are when I am teaching people ways to improve themselves. 

Spoiler

Wow! It is awesome to see you are still in Toastmasters and THRIVING!

Toastmasters has been my jam since I finished my first Competent Communicator in January 2012.  I've earned a total of 6 awards (4 communication and 2 leadership).  I've taken a role outside my clubs as the Area Governor and Club Coach to serve in a larger leadership role.  From those positions, I'll complete my High Performance Leadership Project and an Advanced Leadership Silver award.  Completing eight more speeches and two 1-hour training sessions will help me complete my Advanced Communicator Gold.  All three of those together will earn my Distinguished Toastmaster award, which I plan to wrap up by July of 2015. 

After that, I'll be seriously looking into getting paid to coach, putting my personal goals on the back burner to make other people a priority, which is something that I really enjoy.

Spoiler

"Masters of Toastmasters"

Special Occasion Speeches

#4 Presenting an Award

7/15/2014

Opening:   â€œIndividual commitment to a group effort — that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.†~Vince Lombardi

To achieve the highest honor for a Toastmasters club, the membership needs to work as a team.  Each member needs to commit to the success of the group.  To reach President’s Distinguished, that is exactly what the Fort Monmouth Toastmasters club did.  Together, we checked off the Administrative and Recruitment Distinguished Club goals.  In the Education goals, individual efforts are required, namely, the effort in completing the Competent Communicator, Competent Leader, and Advanced Communicator and Leadership awards.  For our individual efforts were get spiffy little acronyms to put after our names.  Toastmasters International does more than just bestow titles on those completing these awards.  There are certificates for every award, mugs for every communicator award, pens for leadership awards, and pins for exemplarity awards, like a Competent Communicator. 

Lead:  Three members achieved awards at the end of the Toastmasters year to push this club to the top to earn President’s Distinguished.   Today, I’d like to recognize those individuals.

First Main Point:  Donna, CC

The first manual most Toastmasters open is the Competent Communicator manual.  Through the manual, Toastmasters learn and practice fundamentals of communication and public speaking.  Upon completing the manual, a Toastmaster will have more confidence with their communication and public speaking skills.  Our new club president is a testament of that.  In the last year, Donna Helmka has been a shining light of the Fort Monmouth club empowering her fellow Toastmasters.  Pushing herself to complete her CC while serving as the club Vice President of Membership, she encouraged guests to come out and join our club.  We all hope she’ll continue being that shining light of the club serving as our club President and working on her communication and leadership skills.  Please give a big hand for your club President, Competent Communicator, Donna Helmka!

Second Main Point:  Laurie, CL

How many of you have opened that other manual?  The Competent Leadership manual is geared towards improving a Toastmaster’s leadership skills with ten lessons.  In most the lessons, the Toastmaster serves different meeting roles.  Other lessons ask the Toastmaster to get involved with the club leadership helping organizing a club contest and a recruitment event.   Also, the Toastmaster must mentor a fellow Toastmaster.  As president of the club last year, Laurie Martinez did all that and much more, being an integral part of the club’s success keeping us connected and setting us up for future success down the road.  She organized monthly officer meetings to encourage communication among the club executives.  She hosted a Christmas party to allow us to socialize outside of the club.  Recently, she started a van pool.  As the club’s VPE, we look forward to how she plans to continue to be the conductive glue of the club.  Please put your hands together for your club VPE, CC and CL, Laurie Martinez!

Third Main Point:  Michael, ACB, ALB

Beyond the competent awards are the advanced awards for both communication and leadership tracks.  Bronze is the first advanced award level.  For Advanced Communicator Bronze, a Toastmaster must complete ten advanced speeches from two advanced manuals.  For Advanced Leadership Bronze, a Toastmaster must serve as a Club Officer for a full year, attend officer training, and complete two 10-15 minute educational session speeches from the Successful Club and/or the Leadership Excellence Series.  As our club SGT-at-Arms, Michael Nguyen worked very hard to complete all those speeches to achieve both those awards.  His effort to improving himself as a speaker is an inspiration to everyone in the club while being well on his way to Distinguished Toastmaster!  Please give a round of applause for ACB and ALB, Michael Nguyen!

Summary:  All three of these Toastmasters made great strides for themselves and our club.  Today, we recognize their achievements.  I look forward to recognizing each and every one of your accomplishments, big or small.

Spoiler

“Don’t Be Afraidâ€

Third CC

Project #3 Get to the Point

8/5/14

Toastmaster of the Day, fellow Toastmasters, and most welcomed guests; what are you afraid of? 

I’ve learned through Toastmasters that to get over a fear, you must embrace it.  Meeting it head on is the only way to conquer it.  I’ve also learned that doing things that scare you is a good thing.  It elevates your blood pressure, exercising your heart.   It makes you sweat at your temples, forehead, or arm pits burning calories.  Most importantly, every time your heart beats out of your chest from fear, it’s a great reminder that you’re alive.

How do you give yourself these reminders?  It certainly doesn’t need to be anything extravagant.  It just needs to be something that takes you or your body out of your comfort zone, which is exactly what Toastmasters does for us.  You leave your comfort zone behind, get up on stage, put yourself in the spotlight, and embrace your fears. 

So I ask again, what are you afraid of?  Spiders… snakes… flying on airplanes… snakes on a plane!… ghosts… sharks… ghost sharks!… what about embarrassment… or public speaking… how about speech contests?

Based on entries for the club contest, I’d say we have quite a few people afraid of speech contests.  A speech contest isn’t much different than any other meeting.  You give a speech and if it is the best for the day, then you get a prize.  If it isn’t, then oh shucks.  Better luck next time.  There is no pressure involved.  Your own expectations for the contests may be keeping you from competing.  Fear of failure to meet these expectations turn to fear of embarrassment.

Be brave!  Do not let fear of embarrassment keep you from experiencing life.  Check your pulse and do something absolutely frightening! 

Or you may regret it.  The Art of Manliness is a fun and inspirational website.  About a year ago, they wrote about living by a 10 year rule.  Simply stated, the rule tells you to live life as such:

“Whenever you are presented with a choice, ask yourself which option you would prefer to have taken in ten years.â€

I’d guess 95% of the time, yourself ten years from now will look back and be happy that you took a chance, challenged a fear, and did something that scared the cookies out of you.

My biggest regrets are all in public speaking.  I have always been a bit shy and uncomfortable in social situations, but being in the spotlight I acted like a vampire.  In elementary school, the teachers could not get me to perform anything in front of any audience.  We had plays and musicals.  I was always a stage hand or lighting guy.  I expected to get through life without ever being the center of attention.

When I was 12 years old in 8th grade, we had an assignment to memorize a poem and recite it from memory in front of a camera.  It was graded, so I had little choice in participating.  I did get to choose the poem.  I choose “To One in Paradise†by Edgar Allen Poe as I always enjoyed his abnormal writing style.  Memorizing the poem was easy, even with the archaic vocabulary and tormented grammar. 

But as soon as I was in front of the class and camera, my mind was blank.  After standing there frozen for what felt like an eternity with my blood boiling, sweat flowing like a river in every crevice of my skin, and my stomach turning like a propeller, the teacher got my attention to start.  I rattled off the first few lines, got stuck on a word, and threw up on my shoes.  Then, I lost a few more cookies as I ran out the door.  I regret not learning from that awful experience.  I regret not finding help and support with public speaking sooner.  Twenty years later, here I am finally correcting that mistake.

Think about the person you want to be 10 years from now.  You’ve joined Toastmasters to help become that person.  Speech contests are just another step in that direction.  Don’t miss out on a great opportunity to learn and grow, even if it scares you.  Eliminate your fears by doing stuff that scares the food right out of you and all over the floor.  You want to be looking back at all the fun you had, the great things you accomplished, and how you changed over the years. 

I say you should remind yourself that you are a living breathing human!  Live your life with no regrets!  Do stuff that scares the apple juice out of you!  But, hopefully it does not end up running down your leg. 

Spoiler

The Helpers

Opening:  We’ve all heard this saying before: “If at first you don’t succeed…†  Exactly, we join Toastmasters to practice skills in a safe environment.  But is trying enough?  I submit that it is NOT!  Yoda agrees with me.  “Do or do not.  There is no try.† You have to commit to your goal of being a successful speaker, your goal of mastering communication and leadership skills, your goal of impressing your boss, earning a promotion, and being rich beyond your wildest dreams…  Whatever your goal is, you have to commit to it, which means not accepting failure as option.  Instead, you learn from your failure and never give up on finding success.  This commitment needs to be evident in all your goals, no matter how grand or miniscule. 

Lead:  As you start out in Toastmasters, you take on the “easy†meeting roles of Timer, Ah-Counter, Grammarian, and Word-Master.  These roles are perceived as easy, because they do not have large speaking parts.  Notes are made during the meeting and a report is given orally at the end.  At the beginning of the meeting, the role is introduced orally to the audience, but for new members and guests, a lot of assistance and leeway is given.  There is very little pressure to be an instant success compared to speech evaluator or Toastmaster of the Day.  Today, I’d like to discuss how a member can commit to these roles to make them even more useful than most of us could imagine.

First Main Point:  Starting with the Timer, the role seems so simple.  You start the timer and flash the colored cards at the appropriate times and note the time they finished.  However, if we consult the Competent Communicator manual, we can get a description for each meeting role, including a role as simple as timer.  Look at all those bullets!  There are 5 for prior to the meeting, 3 for during the meeting, and 2 for after! 

Prior to the meeting the Timer needs to confirm the timing requirements for the speakers, have a rehearsed explanation of their role, acquire the timing equipment, know how to operate the equipment, and sit somewhere easily seen by the speakers. 

The Timer is also supposed to confirm the program participants with the Toastmaster and General Evaluator.  Why?  So they know what to expect.  If there are inexperienced people in some roles, it might be useful to check with them to ensure they know their time restrictions.  If you have a Toastmaster who is longwinded, then it is your job to reel them in and keep the meeting running on time.  If you look on the agenda, then you will see times indicated for each section of the meeting.  When it is time to move on, the Timer indicates to the section leader with a red signal.  This is a practice, which we, as a club, have not taught or implemented, but it certainly would have value to keep meetings from running long.  Committing to being a successful Timer and adhering to all the criteria would not only improve the preparation skills of the Timer, but improve the entire meeting and club.  The next three roles, you’ll see, would have a similar effect.

Second Main Point:  The Ah-Counter does not need to make many preparations before the meeting.  Instead, the Ah-Counter must make a commitment to listening intently to the language of the speakers.  Noting ahs and ums is standard, but there are many other crutch words out there.  Like, you know, so, and long pauses not part of the speech are all crutches people use to fill their speech.  A double clutch, when a word is repeated involuntarily, is another distracting part of a speech which the Ah-Counter can report.  To help the speaker become more aware of their crutches, the Ah-Counter can also note when the speaker made the mistake in their speech.  The more the Ah-Counter notes and reports the better they can help the speakers improve their speech.

Third Main Point:  The Grammarian falls into the same boat.  Their job is to report on improper grammar and word usage.  Run on sentences, sentence fragments, sentences which change direction midsentence and inappropriate interjections are all samples of grammar errors which can and should be reported.  The hard part is catching them, because our Grammarian is usually multi-faceted role with the Ah-Counter and Word-Master.  Committing to listening to every word and being ready to jot down all errors is a tall order, but it can be done. 

Fourth Main Point:  The last helper role is the Word-Master, whose role is to choose a word for everyone to learn and attempt to insert extemporaneously into their speech while reporting usage in a written and oral report.  The selected Word of the Day should be one that will help members increase their vocabulary.  Visual aids should be provided by the Word-Master to facilitate usage.  We typically place a visual at the front and back of the room.  Committing to this small role presents an opportunity to challenge the speakers to learn and grow. 

Summary:  The four helper roles may be perceived as “easy†introductory roles for new members and guests, but there is opportunity to showcase communication and leadership skills in each.  Commit to the roles you take at every meeting.  Read the description in the CC manual to know it inside and out. 

Conclusion:   If at first you don’t succeed, COMMIT, COMMIT, COMMIT.

Spoiler

Outline – Tomorrow is Your Day

Opening:  “Do as I say, not as I do.† How often do you say this, think this, or hear this?  When you are raising kids, it is constant go to phrase, but it is one I’d like to revise.  It doesn’t tell the whole story. 

Lead:  I find there are three instances which I use this phrase.  All three, I would change to “Do as I say, today is my day, tomorrow is your day.â€

First Main Point:  Doing something where there is danger, but I have experience and understand the dangers.

Sub points:  Electricity

Second Main Point:  Things you don’t want your kids doing, because you’ve already made the mistakes and know the consequences. 

Sub points:  Drinking, smoking

Third Main Point:  Protecting them while defending them.

Sub points:  Traffic

Summary: 

Conclusion:  

Spoiler

“3 Factors for Building a Clubâ€

Third CC - #6 Vocal Variety

12/9/2014

Opening:  “Building a Championship Club†by Lance Miller

What is a Championship Club?  It is a club that builds championship speakers and leaders.  (Championship awards optional)

Championship speakers and leaders are the speakers and leaders who achieve success outside of the Toastmasters club.  They find success presenting and communicating.  They find success leading a team or managing a program.  It is great that members are successful within the club, but the club, the Toastmasters experience, is only practice.  Championship speakers and leaders practice at Toastmasters and execute in the real world.

Lead:  3 factors I’d like to share today

First Main Point:  Commitment

Sub points:  Leaders of the club commit to common goals; members commit to goals of improving by completing manuals

Second Main Point:  Communication

Sub points:  Officers need to communicate with each other and their members; President stays on top of officers with Officer Meeting with reports on progress; VPE and VPM get members to meetings and help them prepare for roles, delegate to mentors or other members

Third Main Point:  Conduct

Sub points:  Professional meetings; positive energy and enthusiasm; keep it fun and make friends

Summary:  Through commitment, communication, and conduct, we can build our club to be a championship club.  Commit to our goals of being a successful club.  Commit to your goals of being a successful speaker and leader.  Communicate constantly with your club officers and members to help them prepare, learn, and grow.  Conduct our meetings professionally with fun and friendship at the heart. 

Conclusion:   Those three C’s are certain to transform a club to an A in the Toastmasters grade book.

Spoiler

Outline – Tomorrow is Your Day

Opening:  “Do as I say, not as I do.† How often do you say this, think this, or hear this?  When you are raising kids, it is constant go to phrase, but it is one I’d like to revise.  It doesn’t tell the whole story. 

Lead:  I find there are three instances which I use this phrase.  All three, I would change to “Do as I say, today is my day, tomorrow is your day.â€

First Main Point:  Doing something where there is danger, but I have experience and understand the dangers.

Sub points:  Electricity

Second Main Point:  Things you don’t want your kids doing, because you’ve already made the mistakes and know the consequences. 

Sub points:  Drinking, smoking

Third Main Point:  Protecting them while defending them.

Sub points:  Traffic

Summary: 

Conclusion:  

I decided not to do this speech at the time.  I need a summary and conclusion, plus I'd like to rehearse it and delieve it better. 

Spoiler

High Performance Leadership

Speech #1: Vision

“Spreading Toastmasters†- Outline

Opening:  “Don’t you wish spreading Toastmasters was as easy as spreading soft butter?â€

Background:  DTM, HPL, VPPR

Lead:  Find success by crafting a vision and mission my team will support and by demonstrating and advocating core values to strengthen the team’s efforts.

First Main Point:  Vision & Mission

Sub points:  raise awareness of Toastmasters in Cecil County and increase Toastmasters membership

Second Main Point:  Values

Sub points:  Honesty, Commitment, Support, Develop, Recognition, Interaction with People

Sub-Sub points:  Churches, Schools, Libraries, Media (Newspaper, Meetup, Facebook), Businesses (Walmart, Lowes, Ikea Distributor, Hollywood Casino, Chambers of Commerce)

Summary:  With a vision and mission my fellow Soaring Eagles can take to the air, with core values to strengthen the team and their efforts, our club will flourish in membership. 

Our efforts to recruit for our club will flood Cecil County with Toastmaster awareness and promotion. 

Conclusion:   Could our club overflow with members?  Could other clubs also benefit?  Could new clubs be born?  If we show Cecil County how we soar, then all is possible.

Spoiler

I keep coming back here.  NF is a great place to get inspiration, motivation, and accountability.  I need all three right now as I have been too laxed in achieving my fitness goals.  I want to get my weight down and see those abs I know are under that layer of fat.  I'm hovering around 165 lbs right now.  If I can get down to 155 lbs, then I think the abs will show.  It is a tough weight to get to and maintain, because of the diet aspect.  My portions are too large most the time (too much meat and grain, not enough fruit and veggies), I eat things I shouldn't on the regular (candy, Dr Pepper, chips, etc), and I lack control at social gatherings (I eat because it is there and to have something to do). 

I am also not doing my physical therapy at home.  I mean to, but I don't plan to.  My back is doing great, but my neck is not healing nearly as fast.  I need to focus on it.

Lastly, my wife has decided to workout with me.  We had our first workout together this morning.  I kept it pretty simple, but she is overweight and had trouble with some exercises.  Also, she wants to make it more fun.  I had us do a bunch of partner exercises, but I need help with couple exercise ideas where she can scale back the difficulty while still making gains for both of us.  YouTube has been helpful to start. 

To resolve these issues, I will start by tracking daily activities in my spreadsheet and battle log again.  In July, I will put together a 4 Week Challenge. 

Spoiler

I updated my Personal Learning Plan (PLP) at my Jedi Training Website, Institute for Jedi Realist Studies (IJRS).  Below are the new goals which I have added:

1. Reading

1. Read for a minimum of 4 hours a week

1. Use at least 2 of those hours to read strictly Jedi Training material

2. Use at least 1 of those hours to read strictly IJRS Course material

2. Writing

1. Write about my reading

1. Take notes as I read

2. Write up reviews and essays about books and articles I read

3. Toastmasters

1. Communication

1. Complete two speech projects a month

2. Complete one training presentation project every two months

2. Leadership

1. Mentor another Toastmaster once a month

2. Complete one major club officer task a month

3. Complete one High Performance Leadership project a year

4. Website, Blogging, and Vlogging

1. Jedi Training Website/Blog – December 2017

1. Determine Objective

2. Find proper format based on objective

3. Establish Website/Blog

4. Maintain Website/Blog

2. Coaching Website/Blog – December 2018

1. Determine Objective

2. Find proper format based on objective

3. Establish Website/Blog

4. Maintain Website/Blog

3. Practice Vlogging (Facebook Live, YouTube) for Website/Blog content

1. Jedi

2. Toastmasters

3. Coaching

4. Fitness

5. Extra Life Charity

Spoiler

The PLP needs another visit, but I'm driving towards some of those bigger goals with some small steps.

• Like 1

Spoiler

On 8/20/2012 at 12:00 PM, JediNickD said:

GOALS (updated 2019-0118)

• Toastmasters International
    • Earn a Triple Crown (3 or more Toastmaster Awards in a year) every year I am in Toastmasters with a minimum of 20 speeches in a year. ON GOING
      • 2018-2019 Traditional Program: CC, ACB, ACS, ACG
      • 2018-2019 Pathways Program: Effective Coaching (Level 1), Dynamic Leadership (Level 1), Presentation Mastery (Level 1), Effective Coaching (Level 2), Dynamic Leadership (Level 2), Presentation Mastery (Level 2)
  • Jedi Training
    • IJRS Courses: Pass 2 courses.  (Jedi Studies 101 COMPLETE , Warrior 101 COMPLETE 2019-0108)
    • IJRS Courses: Pass last Novice course. (Situational Awareness 101 in progress)
    • IJRS Novice Exam
    • Maintain CPR/AED Certification Expiration January 2021
    • Self Defense
      • Karate
        • Brown II Belt - COMPLETE
        • Brown III Belt - In Progress
    • Helping Others
      • Extra Life
        • 2018 Gameday COMPLETE
        • 2019 Gameday, Planning
  • Home Renovation
    • Second Basement Bedroom COMPLETE
    • Kids Playroom / Craft Room COMPLETE

Updates made today.  I've accomplished a bit since my last update!

Spoiler

On 8/20/2012 at 12:00 PM, JediNickD said:

My Epic Quest revolves around three things: my family, my personal experiences and skills, and my Jedi training. What about your career, you say? What is the point of a career without a family? How do you excel in your career without a solid understanding of your personal philosophy, ethics, and morals?

The first one are kind of personal, so I'm going to keep them out of here for now, but will probably drop some Woots and Blogs every now and then.

My Jedi training started when I was a young boy and first saw Empire Strikes Back. Since then, I've always seen myself in Luke. I understood his failings easily because they were easy to relate to. As I grew up, I learned more and more about Jedi philosophy and how to incorporate it into my life. While at graduate school in 2006, I found my first online Jedi community and began trading stories, philosophy, and training. I have always valued my own views and experiences over others, because I am one of the few in the online Jedi community without a spiritual background. I am much more scientific in my views of the "Force" or anything supernatural for that matter. I joined my first online Jedi training school, the Institute for Jedi Realist Studies (IJRS), this past winter and put together a training schedule. The training has three main elements: mind, body, and soul. Each training exercise must incorporate all of these elements.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet to track all my goals, but I will share a few here.

GOALS (updated 2019-0906)

• Toastmasters International
    • Pass 5 lessons by Dec 31st, 2012. COMPLETE
    • CC manual by Jan 31st, 2013.  COMPLETE 2013-01-22
    • 10 Advanced Manual lessons by Dec 31st, 2013 to earn my Advanced Communicator Bronze.  COMPLETE 2013-10-01
    • Hold a new Club Officer position in July 2013 - June 2014. COMPLETE
    • Complete two Successful Club Series speeches by Jan 14th, 2014 to complete my Advanced Leadership Bronze.  COMPLETE 2014-01-18
    • 10 Advanced Manual lessons by June 1st, 2014 to earn my Advanced Communicator Silver.  COMPLETE 2014-03-24
    • Serve as Area Governor July 2014 - June 2015.  COMPLETE
    • Complete term as a Club Coach by June 2015.  COMPLETE
    • Complete one one-hour Leadership Series speeches by June 2015 to complete my Advanced Leadership Silver. COMPLETE (Speechcraft)
    • Complete 10 Advanced Manual lessons and two Educational Training sessions by June 2015 to complete my Advanced Communicator Gold. COMPLETE
    • Complete both Advanced Communicator Gold and Advanced Leadership Silver to earn Distinguished Toastmaster. COMPLETE.
    • Earn a Triple Crown (3 or more Toastmaster Awards in a year) every year I am in Toastmasters with a minimum of 20 speeches in a year. ON GOING
      • 2013-2014 COMPLETE: CL, ACB, ALB, ACS, CC (34 speeches)
      • 2014-2015 COMPLETE:  CC, ACG, CL (x2)
      • 2015-2016 COMPLETE:  CC (x2), ACB, CL (x2), ALB (x3), HPL
      • 2016-2017 COMPLETE:  CC, ACS, CL (x3), ALB (x2), ALS, DTM
      • 2017-2018 In Progress:  CC (x2), ACG, CL, ALB (x2)
      • 2018-2019 Traditional Program: CC, ACB, ACS, ALB
      • 2018-2019 Pathways Program: Effective Coaching (Level 1), Dynamic Leadership (Level 1), Presentation Mastery (Level 1), Effective Coaching (Level 2)
      • 2019-2020 Traditional Program:  ACG
      • 2019-2020 Pathways Program:  Engaging Humor (Level 1), Leadership Development (Level 1), Persuasive Communication (Level 1), Dynamic Leadership (Level 2), Presentation Mastery (Level 2), Effective Coaching (Level 3 & 4), Presentation Mastery (Level 3 & 4), Engaging Humor (Level 2), Leadership Development (Level 2), Persuasive Communication (Level 2)
  • Jedi Training
    • IJRS Courses: Pass Intro, Meditation 101, and Force 101 by March 1st, 2013. COMPLETE 2013-02-14
    • IJRS Courses: Pass 2 courses (Communication 101 and Creed 101) by December 31st, 2013.  COMPLETE 2013-12-30
    • IJRS Courses: Pass 2 courses.  (Spirituality 101 and Personal 101) COMPLETE 2016-12-19
    • IJRS Courses: Pass 2 courses.  (Jedi Studies 101 COMPLETE, Warrior 101 COMPLETE)
    • IJRS Courses: Pass last Novice course. (Situational Awareness 101 COMPLETE)
    • IJRS Novice Exam (in progress)
    • Maintain CPR/AED Certification Expiration January 2021
    • Self Defense
      • Karate
        • White Belt - COMPLETE November 27th, 2016
        • Yellow Belt - COMPLETE
        • Orange Belt - COMPLETE
        • Green Belt - COMPLETE, Senior COMPLETE
        • Blue Belt - COMPLETE
        • Red Belt - COMPLETE
        • Purple Belt - COMPLETE
        • Brown I Belt - COMPLETE
        • Brown II Belt - COMPLETE
        • Brown III Belt - COMPLETE
        • Probationary Black Belt - COMPLETE
        • Black Belt - in progress
      • Tool Training
        • Nunchucka
        • Katana
        • Bo Staff
    • Helping Others
      • Extra Life
        • 2016 Gameday COMPLETE
        • 2017 Gameday COMPLETE
        • 2018 Gameday COMPLETE
        • 2019 Gameday, Planning
      • Movember
        • 2016 Growing, COMPLETE
        • 2017 Growing, COMPLETE, no planning for more

• Website, Blogging, and Vlogging
    • Jedi Training Website/Blog
      • Determine Objective

• Find proper format based on objective

• Establish Website/Blog

• Maintain Website/Blog

• Coaching Website/Blog

• Determine Objective

• Vision, Values, and Mission

• Long Term and Short Term Goals

• Brainstorm Branding (few ideas)

• Find proper format based on objective

• Establish Website/Blog

• Maintain Website/Blog

• Practice Vlogging (Facebook Live, YouTube) for Website/Blog content
      • Jedi
      • Toastmasters
      • Coaching
      • Fitness
      • Extra Life Charity

• Home Renovation
    • Electrical and Lighting Wiring for the Deck
    • Electrical and Lighting Wiring for Basement Closet COMPLETE
    • Clean up basement for construction projects COMPLETE
    • Second Basement Bedroom COMPLETE
    • Kids Playroom / Craft Room COMPLETE
    • Movie Room
    • Mud Room
    • Clean up Laundry Room / Workshop / Storage Area COMPLETE
    • Fix Electrical Wiring in Laundry Room and First Basement Bedroom

BUCKET LIST:

• World Travel
    • Asia
      • Okinawa, Japan
      • China
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
      • Rugby Matches
      • Lord of the Rings
      • Moeraki Boulders
    • North America
      • Costa Rica
      • Spotted Lake, British Columbia
      • Whale Watching in Grand Manan, New Foundland, Canada
      • Alaska
      • Hawaii
      • Niagara Falls
    • South America
      • Brazil Rain Forest and Amazon River
      • Marble Caves, Chile
      • Cao Cristales River, Columbia
    • Africa
      • Pyramids
      • Safari
    • Europe
      • Greece (Parthenon), Spain, France, Poland, Netherlands, Iceland, Ireland, England
    • GeoCache all 50 US States
      • DONE (12):  Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida, Arizona, California, Texas, New York, Nevada, South Carolina
      • Just a matter of time (11):  Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, West Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Minnesota
      • Just a matter of money (4):  Hawaii, Alaska, New Mexico, Colorado
      • Possible (4):  Michigan, Oklahoma, Ohio, Kentucky
      • Difficult (17):  Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Missouri
      • Not Interested but will do it anyway (2):  Kansas, Utah
    • Experiences
      • DONE (x2): Hike Mt. Whitney to 10,000 ft (Lone Pine Lake)
      • Hike Mt. Whitney to summit 14,000 ft
      • DONE: Hike Mt. Mitchell to 6,684 ft in Appalachian Mountains (highest East of Mississippi River)
      • Hike and Camp at the Grand Canyon
      • Sky Dive
      • Ride in a Jet
  • Physical Feats
    • Free Handstand for 10 seconds without support
    • Free Handstand walk for 5 steps
    • Muscle-Up
    • Toe Above Bar
    • Run 5 miles
    • Run 10 miles
    • Run Half-Marathon

New update!  Karate and Toastmasters are still booming.  Did Mt. Whitney again (2000 ft elevation hike and about 9 miles total in under 4.5 hours).  Definitely considering the summit next time (6000 ft elevation and 10 hours each way).  Mt. Mitchell was a breeze two weeks later, but we didn't hike up, just hiked about 2 miles around the trails near the summit.  The view was pretty awesome as the clouds moved around the mountain tops.

I'm turning 39 in November.  10 years ago I could not have pictured how I have changed mentally and physically, but I had an idea of how I planned on changing with raising my kids, growing my marriage, progressing my career and education, and accomplishing or experiencing amazing things.  Through it all, I've been setting up this second life for beyond 40 partly for myself, but mostly for my family with my kids growing into young adults, and the new and exciting adventures my wife and I will take them on, lessons we will teach them, and experiences they will have which will shape their young lives.  By my 50th birthday, hopefully, they will both be in college or a career, out on their own, making their own way.  That's 11 years away, which sounds like a lifetime, but right now, reflecting back, it feels like it is coming all too fast. 

I have done so much to grow myself, but that growth has an incredible impact to those around me.  If you want to change the world, then start with the one in the mirror.  When you share your experience and growth, then your change will influence others to change at an exponential rate.  It is absolutely amazing.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler