I've started taking baby steps towards a better life last march. Reason why I started it was basically the doctor telling me that the chances of me getting a heart attack before the age of 35 were higher than 60%. Given I am 31... I chose to not take the chance! I've made some progress. Lost 19 kg so far... so I must be doing something right...

I started with a high protein diet and decreased the amount of junk food/candies and alike that I'd eat. First step was to record everything I ate onto a spreadsheet. In the beginning it was damn hard and the only thing that made me follow through with it was a close friend keeping an eye on my spreadsheet and holding me accountable for it (both updating it and what the content was). Nowadays, eating a fruit, or a cereal bar comes more naturally than eating a chocolate bar (yes I am a compulsive chocolate eater... i can't eat the one little square) and updating it is almost natural.

Since I started this whole eating habit change, I also started changing a lot of things in my life. I am more organized, I use a calendar (Believe me, that's huge!), I try not to put things off for another day and it's been working quite well. There's still a lot of room for improvement and my main goal is to keep up with the eating habits change (there's still a lot of room for improvements) and the exercises (*sighs*)

My main struggle at the moment are the exercises. Most times I just can't bring myself to do them (I know, I know... robot mindset... haven't been able to accomplish that just yet). There are no excuses for it and I am not trying to come up with one. I just have to get over it, I know...

I started trying the hacker's diet exercises. It takes 15 minutes and it is not that bad. Hopefully i'll be able to keep up with that one and it will give me the momentum to get out of the apartment and go for a walk at the beach. (Baby steps!!)

Well, that's me!! Nice to meet you all!

PS: Don't mind the English mistakes, please :)

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Tracking calories is a must for me when I'm trying to lose weight, I'm nowhere near ad effective without it.

As for exercising, the best thing you can do is find something you enjoy. I initially started my quest to fitness through running and hated it, and getting fit was not enjoyable and the experience sucked. Then I found weight lifting, loved it, and now getting fit is my main hobby and I look forward to my time in the gym. The experience you have and your quality of life is so much better when getting fit is something you enjoy rather than just another chore.

Welcome to the rebellion and good luck!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

PS: Don't mind the English mistakes, please

Good luck as you begin this journey into fitness, may you find what you are looking for.

. Your typed English is better than many native speakers I know. Welcome to NF. I was like you, able to mostly control my caloric intake but struggling to exercise. It took a counselor to help me over my barrier. I had been seeing one for other things than just exercise willingness, but we eventually focused on my excuse making. I complained one session that there was alway something in me that made or looked for excuses, always sabotaging my attempts to get into shape. The counselor suggested I get angry at the sabotuer, yell at it, swear etc. I did and that has made all the difference. Now when I feel doubt or laziness suggesting I not work out, I get angry and tell it to shut the &*(# up, and I work out. Interestingly, this has given me confidence in other areas as well.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Tracking calories is a must for me when I'm trying to lose weight, I'm nowhere near ad effective without it.

As for exercising, the best thing you can do is find something you enjoy. I initially started my quest to fitness through running and hated it, and getting fit was not enjoyable and the experience sucked. Then I found weight lifting, loved it, and now getting fit is my main hobby and I look forward to my time in the gym. The experience you have and your quality of life is so much better when getting fit is something you enjoy rather than just another chore.

Welcome to the rebellion and good luck!

Thank you Corey!

Counting calories is more or less what I am doing, but instead I count exchanges (which are related to calories count as well). Makes my life a bit easier i must say. As for exercising, i am still trying to find out what i like. You are probably right when it comes to it being another chore (it is what it feel like and the fact that all i can do is grumble to myself the 5 min prior to exercise time, probably means something)

Thank you for the tips and the warm welcome!

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

. The counselor suggested I get angry at the sabotuer, yell at it, swear etc. I did and that has made all the difference. Now when I feel doubt or laziness suggesting I not work out, I get angry and tell it to shut the &*(# up, and I work out. Interestingly, this has given me confidence in other areas as well.

Good luck as you begin this journey into fitness, may you find what you are looking for.

I can understand that giving you confidence in other areas as well. It's you taking control over your life and when you conquer that, it changes you. I am gonna try the yelling at me... i respond well under pressure! why not put the pressure myself? As a matter of fact, i just finished breakfast... (GO DO YOUR %$%#ING EXERCISES SHOOBIE!!!)

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the advice!