Book: Throw, Lift, Kettlebell, Elliptical... repeat

... although not necessarily in that order.

I gave myself another 'vacation' from regular workouts, even though I had one competition left. Stupid. I let other issues bring me down.

So then, with the intent of avoiding DOMS, and just in general enjoy some easier workouts for a bit, I dropped the weights *way* down, and then only allowed a 10% increase each workout. It worked. It got me back into the rhythm, no significant soreness, and I really enjoyed the workouts. I'm finally starting to get up to decent weights again, with my working sets at:

Squats: 5x275

Good Mornings: 10x120

Deadlifts: 5x375

Still have a ways to go, but it's a good start.

I *may* have talked myself into doing my first Highland Games in twelve years next month. This might hurt :)

Wednesday night I threw. It went pretty well: I'm adding back in the 4th turn that I haven't done seriously in the last 17 years. Still am getting up in the 59-60m range, with less apparent effort.

Last night I lifted. I did manage to get my 10% increase (285x5 squats, 135x10 good mornings, 410x4 deadlift), but it never felt good. I felt stiff, and it felt unreasonably heavy. Hopefully it was just because of the throw yesterday.

Thanks, gsethi :)

Well, what an interesting weekend. I took Friday off after that strangely challenging workout on Thursday. Plus, it was my fiancée's birthday, so it was nice to give her my time. I guess I wouldn't have been working out that day anyway. We got back pretty late.

Saturday morning I went out and threw Highland Games stuff with a local group in preparation for that competition next month. Now, admittedly I didn't go all-out, but I did throw pretty far, and this is my first time doing these particular movements in a long time. I actually felt good enough that I added an elliptical workout in the afternoon.

Now, I was expecting to be pretty sore today, but pretty much nothing out of the ordinary. I had a choice of doing my weight workout today, or waiting until tomorrow, and I decided to do it today, but with no expectations. Except... it went *really* well. Everything went up just fine. It was a fun workout. And now I'm at the point where I can't just add another 10% to my deadlift. Well... maybe I *could*, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't.

Working sets: squat - 5x315, good morning - 10x145, deadlift - 4x455

Okay, here's a weird thing. A couple of times over the last few weeks (including last night) I've woken up in the middle of the night and I've felt like I was *incredibly* sore. But when I woke up in the morning, I felt just fine. Was I really sore, or was I just imagining it?

Yay! Um, what Ren Faire?

Throwing the heavy things...in a kilt. *happy thought*

Yup, the one here in Shakopee, Minnesota... I actually get to wear my kilt for a real reason for the first time in a looooong time. And I've never competed at a Ren Faire, it's always been scottish fairs before. Should be interesting.

Impressive dead lift numbers. Hell impressive everything numbers. Should change your name from Book to Beast.

Thanks, BigM. :) I'm not sure how high I can push it this cycle, but I'm excited for the next one.

I lived for 25 years in Minnesota, and I never did make it to the Ren Faire there *quiet sobbing*

I have heard it is quite nice. Hope you take photos! :)

I've been once... must have been at least 7 years ago. It wasn't bad. I actually dated a woman for a while who was one of the 'princesses'. As far as I know she's still there.

Yeah, photos. I hadn't thought about that, but it's a good excuse to use my new camera. I *am* bringing along 4 kids, including two teenage girls, they can be useful for *something*. :)

Now... for workouts. Last night I did an elliptical session, and pushed it fairly hard.

Tonight, now that's kinda strange. I still haven't taken my rest day (we're throwing Saturday morning, and I didn't want to do a big lift the night before), so instead I went ahead and lifted tonight, fully content with doing whatever my body would tell me it could handle. And though it took me a long time to warm up, I still managed to increase weight on all lifts, and I actually feel better tonight after than I did on Tuesday. Weird. Definite rest day tomorrow, though. Maybe just a little light kettlebell.

Working sets: Squat 5x365, Good Morning - 10x165, Deadlift 5x485

You know, katscratch... they are great fun to throw. However, 12 years ago when I trained at these pretty seriously (throwing 2-3 times a week plus lifting), I was pretty much walking wounded: a bunch of minor to not-so-minor injuries making me hurt almost all of the time. Looking around the sport, just about all the serious throwers were like this. And this is one of the reasons why I gave it up. The Hammer Throw in Track and Field doesn't seem to be like this (especially since I've stopped running. My knees are so happy). I think it's because in Hammer Throw, you're almost always in a straight position, no twisting or asymmetric pulling. Plus, it only weighs 16lbs. That 56# for distance is a back breaker. Still... I think I can do 2 or 3 games a year without issue. I guess I'll find out.

I'm not much of a fan of the State Fair. The last time I went was because the kids wanted to go.

Now, for my workout:

After yesterday's double session, I woke up this morning feeling just fine, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to try to increase my weights today, so instead I did a wildross-inspired volume session. I reduced the weights but increased the sets and reps so that I could stack a few extra *tons* onto the workout. It went great through the squats 6x6x315. But when it got to the deadlifts, I ran out of steam. On my second set of 6x405 I just completely lost focus (I'm not sure if the phone call I got in between was a factor or not). Still... I did 10k more pounds than I did during my last workout, so I'll call it a success.

Might have been entered for? What have I missed? Are you entering a games?

My biggest keys for the caber are to make sure to treat is as a leg event, not an arm event. Specifically, I find it helps to think of the movements like power cleans. First, the pick (to pick up the caber and get it in the proper position): Lift with your legs while your arms are just stabilizing the caber, *then* shift hands to get underneath. Then when it actually comes time to throw, sink onto your legs slightly and then explosively push out of it with legs first, and the arm pull only coming after the legs have fully extended.

Sounds... like I'll drop the first dozen on my fool head. I think I get you: it's a clean-to-throw kinda thing.

I have friends in Aberdeen, and a few years ago we did the Loch Lomond Highland Games triathlon (c-c-cold water!). She's keen to race again and when I suggested I'd cheer her on, I instead got told that all this deadlifting meant I oughta try the heavy games. :)