LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

Kind of a double edged sword. In our rush to include everyone we come up with very specific labels to describe every iteration of gender/sexuality/anatomy which is kind of the root of the problem to begin with. At first it was gay rights, then LGBT, now LGBTQA and I had to get on Google to figure out what cis means. Now straight white Christian guys like me can't have a voice in the discussion (not here, this thread is very cool. Elsewhere) because I don't fit the right definition, not having been discriminated against (true), persecuted (true) or presumptively anti-gay (not true). But not fitting the approved definition was what spurred every acceptance movement in history be they motivated by race, ethnicity, or class, or whatever. Everyone's unique situation and experience gives them a unique perspective that no one else can understand perfectly, so like Bekah said, we're better off accentuating the similarities than highlighting the differences.

• Like 3

Now I'm not trying to get testy here, but .. no it isn't. Privilege is not having to be engaged in a struggle. Defining it in whole or in-part as "being unaware of someone else's struggle" seems specious at best, dogmatic at worst.

Did you just say i was wrong and then agree with what i said? Cos thats what it looks like happened. Either that or we're about to embark on a lengthy semantics debate.

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

At first it was gay rights, then LGBT, now LGBTQA and I had to get on Google to figure out what cis means. Now straight white Christian guys like me can't have a voice in the discussion

The fucking irony of this.

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

play nice, kids :) 

/end friendly mod pep talk.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Did you just say i was wrong and then agree with what i said? Cos thats what it looks like happened. Either that or we're about to embark on a lengthy semantics debate.

I don't believe I did.  The distinction is fairly clear. As I understand it, your contention is that being ignorant - not having to be aware of struggles others deal with -  is an example of privilege at work. My contention is that not *having* the struggle - whether you are or are not aware of it - is privilege.   

play nice, kids :)

/end friendly mod pep talk.

Understood! I see this as a respectful debate about a touchy subject - if it needs to stop I'm OK with that.. 

• Like 1

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

So...I just wanted to stick my head in to say hi! Because this is supposed to be a safe space, right?

I feel like there's a time and a place for education and discussion, but sometimes it's nice to be able to go to a place and feel known and understood by the people there without having to explain yourself or justify your existence.

At least, I assumed that was the purpose of this thread. I feel like there's a whole vast internet out there for education and discussion. This has nothing to do with undervaluing allies or the importance of diplomacy/education. Instead, I think it has a lot to do with the need for a safe space that doesn't require explanation. It's nice to just exist, sometimes. Like normal people. Because we are normal people. Just, y'know, LGBTQA.

• Like 9

-- Vanimal --

Level 2 Hobbit Bounder (Ranger)    

STR 5 / DEX 3 / STA 4 / CON 2 / WIS 3 / CHA 3

Challenges: 1, [2], Battle Log

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world

and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

And let the great semantics debate begin!

...not really. I dont have the patience to talk to you today.

I get the sense that I somehow offended or angered you. If I did, please forgive me. I merely intended to engage in a rational discourse weighing two separate perspectives. I obviously did not achieve that.

I'll go ahead and drop it.  

Were we in person, I'd buy you a beer / Gin&Tonic / Kale Smoothie / whatever to smooth it over - so whatever the digital equivalent of that is. 

• Like 5

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

So...I just wanted to stick my head in to say hi! Because this is supposed to be a safe space, right?

I feel like there's a time and a place for education and discussion, but sometimes it's nice to be able to go to a place and feel known and understood by the people there without having to explain yourself or justify your existence.

At least, I assumed that was the purpose of this thread. I feel like there's a whole vast internet out there for education and discussion. This has nothing to do with undervaluing allies or the importance of diplomacy/education. Instead, I think it has a lot to do with the need for a safe space that doesn't require explanation. It's nice to just exist, sometimes. Like normal people. Because we are normal people. Just, y'know, LGBTQA.

Hi and welcome :) Sometimes a person's existence in the world is an angry, negative one...and sometimes people have bad days...here is no exception, so like we all do out there, lighten it up again if we can, or just let the mood pass and re-engage later, right?

I'm glad this place is here...

I'm reading the Game of Thrones books, and while I know it's fiction...in book 5, there is a hermaphrodite (please tell me that doesnt offend people too, does it??) and she dresses and speaks and behaves femininely, and she is part of a "grotesquerie" and her slave owner is dying, and she knows they will kill her when he does die...and it just makes me sad to think about what life was like for LGBTQA people throughout history, and be grateful that I live here and now rather than in a time or place that I would be seen even more negatively by the masses.

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hi!  I confess only went back a couple of pages (76 pages? Oy.), and I feel I may have stumbled in during a bad moment.  

So, to lighten the mood:

I've recruited two friends IRL to venture over to Nerd Fitness and join me in the current 6 week challenge.  I was going to crack some joke on my thread about being close to a toaster oven, or asking what the Nerd Fitness equivalent would be, but then I realized probably no one would get it.

Then I remembered reading there was this thread, hunted it down, and posted it here, where people might find my joke funny. :)

(Though now I'm also remembering we're a pretty international bunch and it might just be a joke here in the States.  Hell, maybe even just on the west, for all I know.  Eh, I can explain if you need me to.)

Ba-dum-bump. ;)

• Like 3

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

STR 3 | DEX 1 STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 

First Challenge  (with awesome Before and After video)

Hi!  I confess only went back a couple of pages (76 pages? Oy.), and I feel I may have stumbled in during a bad moment.  

So, to lighten the mood:

I've recruited two friends IRL to venture over to Nerd Fitness and join me in the current 6 week challenge.  I was going to crack some joke on my thread about being close to a toaster oven, or asking what the Nerd Fitness equivalent would be, but then I realized probably no one would get it.

Then I remembered reading there was this thread, hunted it down, and posted it here, where people might find my joke funny. :)

(Though now I'm also remembering we're a pretty international bunch and it might just be a joke here in the States.  Hell, maybe even just on the west, for all I know.  Eh, I can explain if you need me to.)

Ba-dum-bump. ;)

nope, south and east are familiar with it as well ;)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

So, to lighten the mood:

Ba-dum-bump. ;)

I'll freely admit I have no clue what you're talking about, but I live under a rock anyway. I can has explanation?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I'll freely admit I have no clue what you're talking about, but I live under a rock anyway. I can has explanation?

Not a problem.  One person got it at least, so I'm happy. :)

There's this joke/saying here that when you "recruit" three straight girls to the gay side, you get a toaster oven.  (Well, it might be for guys too, but I've only heard it amongst the ladies.)  I'm not sure the background behind it, but I'm guessing some kind of play on our supposed evil agenda to recruit people or something?

So I've recruited two people to Nerd Fitness.  What's my prize when I get to three? ;)

• Like 2

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Not a problem.  One person got it at least, so I'm happy. :)

There's this joke/saying here that when you "recruit" three straight girls to the gay side, you get a toaster oven.  (Well, it might be for guys too, but I've only heard it amongst the ladies.)  I'm not sure the background behind it, but I'm guessing some kind of play on our supposed evil agenda to recruit people or something?

So I've recruited two people to Nerd Fitness.  What's my prize when I get to three? ;)

A weight set... :-)

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

http://www.afterellen.com/back-in-the-day-coming-out-with-ellen/04/2005/

It's from Ellen's coming out episode..."At the conclusion of the episode, Melissa Etheridge gives Susan a toaster oven as her tongue-in-cheek reward for converting another woman to lesbianism."

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Woo! Learn something new every day. I was going to ask if it was related to buying a house, which I think was mentioned a zillion pages back and I'd never heard before either. brb hoarding knowledge and inside jokes :ph34r:

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Woo! Learn something new every day. I was going to ask if it was related to buying a house, which I think was mentioned a zillion pages back and I'd never heard before either. brb hoarding knowledge and inside jokes :ph34r:

Are you referring to Uhauling, perhaps?  (One to add to your hoarding, if not.)

http://www.afterellen.com/back-in-the-day-coming-out-with-ellen/04/2005/

It's from Ellen's coming out episode..."At the conclusion of the episode, Melissa Etheridge gives Susan a toaster oven as her tongue-in-cheek reward for converting another woman to lesbianism."

Aha!  

the-more-you-know-o.gif

It used to just be for one convert though?  Times have gotten tougher.

• Like 1

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Are you referring to Uhauling, perhaps?  (One to add to your hoarding, if not.)

Yes. That. I'm totally failing at this conversation, wow. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hi

Just chiming in. It's been a long time.

So, I hadn't heard the toaster one before but I thought it had to do with the u-hauling which I know all too well.

@Fleaball - uhauling is when two lesbians hook up one night, share their emotional baggage the next evening, and move in together (bringing said haul of stuff) before the first week is up. Or something to that effect.

Anywho.

I'm Teri. I love running, weight lifting, music, drawing stick figures - doing actiony things and wearing hats or at least an awesome doo - , cooking, and chatting with peeps. So...

I ended a 17 year relationship this spring and though it was my decision, it was quite tough. We're still extremely close as many lesbians are! hehehe But today I got a breath of fresh air in my sails. A nice looking (dare I say sexy to me) woman paid me a little heed in the store we were at. I thought it was a fluke and then it happened again when she left. Nice feeling, being flirted with after so long not worrying to even look for it.

Makes me... horny! lol It's been a long while, not caring if I was ever going to be happily horny again. Life throws curves. I'm starting to work on my catcher's mitt!

Hi All.

Cheers

• Like 8

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I totally knew that. I was just testing everyone to make sure they were up to speed. Congratulations, everyone passed! I'm going back to hide under my rock now...

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi