LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

3 minutes ago, Captainlaurie said:

Hey everybody! I've been reading the NF blogs for years and I think I'm hitting the point where I'm ready to join the Academy...but something that stopped me from pulling the trigger today was that I have to say whether I identify as a man or a woman. Here's a little about me: I'm a queer-identified cisgender female, but although I don't consider myself completely nonbinary, I'm largely gender nonconforming - I don't wear any items of clothing that are made for women (except a sports bra) and usually when asked my gender on a survey or form, I decline to identify because marketing that is targeted by gender is always super wrong for me. I'm not trans or anything, I'm fine with being female as long as nobody tries to make me act or look like what society typically considers women to be.

I know that I'll need support and encouragement on this journey from people who are going through the same thing, but I'm worried about getting sorted into a Facebook group only for women, since that might not really be the right fit for me. Does anybody have any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Not genderfluid  myself, so if I stick my foot in my mouth: know I have the best intentions and apologize ahead of time. Also, have yet to do the academy. 
My gut reaction is that the workouts in the "men" section may be geared towards a cis-gendered male physique and ramp up to  include workouts that may be super hard / discouraging for a "female anatomy" body. 

By way of example, a friend of mine started doing the "prisoner workout" style of working out, but it focuses on upper body strength. So.. after she got through the basic stuff, the prisoner workout charts of # reps & # of sets she had followed started to be too much for her, and she had to re-jigger it to work for her. 

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0
--------------------------------------------------
16 minutes ago, ColoQ said:

Not genderfluid  myself, so if I stick my foot in my mouth: know I have the best intentions and apologize ahead of time. Also, have yet to do the academy. 
My gut reaction is that the workouts in the "men" section may be geared towards a cis-gendered male physique and ramp up to  include workouts that may be super hard / discouraging for a "female anatomy" body. 

By way of example, a friend of mine started doing the "prisoner workout" style of working out, but it focuses on upper body strength. So.. after she got through the basic stuff, the prisoner workout charts of # reps & # of sets she had followed started to be too much for her, and she had to re-jigger it to work for her. 

This makes a ton of sense. I know that I'll need workouts designed for women's bodies, and I'm fine with that, but I'm more concerned about the support system. Apparently signing up for the academy grants you access to a private Facebook group that's separated by gender. I'm wondering if anyone who is genderfluid or nonbinary has had any experience in these groups, and whether they felt the support system was what they were looking for.

5 minutes ago, Captainlaurie said:

This makes a ton of sense. I know that I'll need workouts designed for women's bodies, and I'm fine with that, but I'm more concerned about the support system. Apparently signing up for the academy grants you access to a private Facebook group that's separated by gender. I'm wondering if anyone who is genderfluid or nonbinary has had any experience in these groups, and whether they felt the support system was what they were looking for.

Imprimis5 beat me to it, but here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/405382932970607

Many of the folks that aren't comfortable in the Men's or Women's group end up at the Nerd Fitness Academy - LGBTQAI group (or stay in more than one group).

• Like 1

Coming back after a 2.5 years hiatus... this place has become really quiet... So let me share something happy.

In the past 5 years I worked a lot on diversity and inclusion in my company. When we started the situation was "there are no visible gay people working here", and the rest was mainly white males. This year we participate in the Amsterdam pride with two boats, two partners and as much diversity as you can think of. I am proud to see that the hard work is paying off and the message is getting also to our branches in places where the law (and the society) is not as open and supportive as here

Here is the video from one of the company who shared the float with us. Enjoy

• Like 1

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

I told my mom about being bisexual, and she took it pretty well.

... And, I'm sorta having a crush for a male friend. I've known him a pretty short while,

so I don't know if he's interested in men, or anything more than friendship, but the thoughts about him make me very happy ^_^

It is just that accepting that side of me, after sort of.. ignoring it all until now makes me feel so gloriously free :)

• Like 4

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

18 minutes ago, Bigby said:

Hey all!

I'm a new NF LGBTQA+ member, but this thread looks pretty dead.  Do you all hang out elsewhere or is just quiet in here?  :)

Welcome!

I think most active people spend a lot of time in the challenges and battle logs. I more see this tread being used to share news, ask questions, and occasionally vent about LGBTQA+ happenings in their lives. No so much of a hangout anymore (it was a lot more active back when I joined). Though I think part of that is due to how welcoming NF is in general. (It's not like some other sites I've been at where the only place you feel comfortable is the LGBTQA+ thread/section.)

If you have any questions about NF, don't hesitate to ask!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!