High Fiber?

Hey everybody! I've been really flighty on these boards the past couple of months, and after scraping my foot on the ground below the wagon, I'm trying to hoist it back on (I think I took that metaphor a bit far).

My father's family has a history of weird digestive problems the doctors don't know what to do with: my grandmother has a bit of an intolerance to eggs that comes and goes, and my dad has an awful digestive ailment where he gets cramps and vomiting if he eats too much fat without enough fiber to get it through (his digestion completely stops).

I had never shown signs of either of these problems until I tried to go paleo. The first week was awesome and I lost a lot of weight, then I started to have serious cramps and would alternate between constipation and diarrhea (TMI, sorry) daily. Soon I started getting bad cramps every time I had eggs as well.

I then tried to change my diet and add carbs back to get more fiber: the digestive problems cleared up, but my weight loss has seriously suffered.

For the record, I've tried just adding fiber supplements and it only seems to make the problem worse. It's like my body needs it in bran/oat/whatever form somehow.

Is there a high-fiber version of paleo? Do you guys have any recommendations for what I could do diet-wise?

That dosne tsound like much fun at all.Have you been tested for Chrons disease, which is an inflamitory digestive disorder?

Alternatively have you tried including digestive enzymes in your diet like, Psyllium Husk, Pectin, and Lactobacillus Acidophilus. these are farily common naturally occuring nutrients which can easily be found in a health food storee in powders and tablets.

Also try drinnk Aloe Vera juice, with some spirulinna and mint :)

If you find Paleo does'nt agree with you, South Beach is high fiber (oats, oat bran etc) but similar to Paleo in other regards as it strongly recommends lots of veggies and lean meats.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath