Marathon...dun dun dun

Hi all,

I've got my first marathon on October 14th...it's starting to loom large! :)

I've been training five times a week, with a typical week looking something like:

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Running club run, usually about 14 km. I either go with a group whose pace is about my marathon pace, or a group whose pace is about my half marathon pace...depending on how I feel/the rest of the week.

Wednesday - 5 km recovery run

Thursday - 8 km MP run

Friday - Rest Day

Saturday - 5K race

Sunday - Long run (peaking at 32 km, with two 29 kms as well)

It's been good, and I certainly feel fitter, but its about the peak of mileage that I can currently take without getting injured, I think! Speed hasn't suffered too much as I did the MarathonTalk.com 'Magic Mile' challenge on Thursday and managed a 6:09, which I was pleased with....

I'm all about getting tips on all of the above.

Wife and I are debating going to two-a-day works out with strength training in the AM and running in the PM. The strength is to help lose this body fat we've got going on (I'm at ~30% still even after losing 70lbs!).

Maybe you can try checking out http://www.crossfitendurance.com/faq-theory to see if teh Crossfit Endurance-style training matches what you are looking for.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

use a foam roller and ball to recover faster

This has been a life saver for me. Minimalist running with lots of miles would be impossible for me if I did not use my "Stick" and foam roller and ball religiously.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Hi all,

I've got my first marathon on October 14th...it's starting to loom large! :)

I've been training five times a week, with a typical week looking something like:

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Running club run, usually about 14 km. I either go with a group whose pace is about my marathon pace, or a group whose pace is about my half marathon pace...depending on how I feel/the rest of the week.

Wednesday - 5 km recovery run

Thursday - 8 km MP run

Friday - Rest Day

Saturday - 5K race

Sunday - Long run (peaking at 32 km, with two 29 kms as well)

It's been good, and I certainly feel fitter, but its about the peak of mileage that I can currently take without getting injured, I think! Speed hasn't suffered too much as I did the MarathonTalk.com 'Magic Mile' challenge on Thursday and managed a 6:09, which I was pleased with....

Nice plan Matt. I remember those peak weeks just before the marathon, you feel pretty rough at the time but it'll be worth it in the end!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I'm doing my first Marathon in March 2013...2013 must be the Scout Year of the Marathon.

I think it is...let's see, so far we have:

BarefootDawsy

GreenMatt

fsjjunkie

Shukar

WickedPixie

Hammie

Phylanx (c'mon mate, you know you want to)

Not bad considering about half of these people didn't run at all before they joined NF!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

As stated, I'm totally in for the year of the marathon. Mine will be in March. Between what I've pieced together for a training plan I'm happy with from NF, StrengthRunning, experience, and lots of reading I'm pretty confident that the runs themselves will do me well, especially balanced with a decent amount of strength work. Diet is gonna be my next hurdle to tackle. Recently I've found I seem to function better overall when gluten-free and I'd really love to transition to a modified Paleo diet to fuel my runs so I'll be experimenting with that. After that as the runs get longer I'll probably start having to consider carrying some kind of hydration along with me instead of running my runs fasted after a glass of water. Looking forward to seeing the next post from KG.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

After that as the runs get longer I'll probably start having to consider carrying some kind of hydration along with me instead of running my runs fasted after a glass of water. Looking forward to seeing the next post from KG.

I'm in the same boat. Fueling and hydration on runs longer than ~15k are a bit of a new area for me, and I'm tend to run fasted as well.

Also looking forward to hearing more from Killer!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I'm in the same boat. Fueling and hydration on runs longer than ~15k are a bit of a new area for me, and I'm tend to run fasted as well.

Also looking forward to hearing more from Killer!

Holy peer pressure Batman. Writing articles, Running marathons...what's next?

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I think it is...let's see, so far we have:

BarefootDawsy

GreenMatt

fsjjunkie

Shukar

WickedPixie

Hammie

Phylanx (c'mon mate, you know you want to)

Not bad considering about half of these people didn't run at all before they joined NF!

Hey don't forget me! Though I'm doing my run in January... :P

Presently my wife and I's work out plan is looking like this

Mon - AM Strong Lifts / PM Recovery run (30min @ 10min pace)

Tue - Speed test (2 miles at fastest I can manage presently at 7:00 or 7:30min pace)

Wed - AM Strong Lifts / PM - Alt Cardio (Bike or Elliptical)

Thr - Interval Training (3min at 15min-pace, 2 min at ~9min-pace)

Fri - AM Strong Lifts / PM - Rest

Sat - Long Run

Sun - Rest

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge :  TBD

Yep the Year Of The Marathon is definitely shaping up. i think we're going to need to record this somewhere for posterity. Here's who we have now:

GreenMatt - October 2012

msuroo - January (Disney)

stickland - January

fsjjunkie - March

Shukar - March

signalguy - March (Rock 'n Roll DC)

BarefootDawsy - April (Canberra)

Hammie - April (Dallas)

WickedPixie - April (Dallas)

silverpeacock - May

Phylanx - TBA ;)

Can't wait to start adding times at the end of all these entries!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Early morning is my favorite time to run by far. Did 4 miles for the wife's half training this morning, got 7 or 8 on the schedule tomorrow for "my" training. Gonna crush this training. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Early morning is my favorite time to run by far.QUOTE]

So true - I am struggling to get motivitated to go for a run in the mornings, that will change come summer will I will have lots, but I am really enjoying going for a walk in the morning

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Early morning is my favorite time to run by far.

I agree. Lower temperatures, no excuses, less traffic (if you are out before 5am like me). Shame I can't get long runs in that early -- maybe if I wake up at 3am? *shudder*

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)