Marathon...dun dun dun

Damn you all, now a very small part of me now wants to do a marathon *goes off and trys to find a smaller and easier race to run next year*

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Shortstuff: Work up to it... you'll get there. I never thought I'd be training for a half, let alone the chance for a full one.

This morning I went out for my "long" run, and it was cool (under 10 Celcius), the only part of me that got cold was my belly. The rest of me was fine. I would have assumed that it would have been my hands that would have gotten cold.

I started my running hat for the winter. It is a merino/cashmere blend, so it should be super warm (for cold/snowy mornings).

Shortstuff: Work up to it... you'll get there. I never thought I'd be training for a half, let alone the chance for a full one.

There's usually a 11k fun run for a charity in may near me, I think I will start there so I can get use of running with other people

Good plan...11k is plenty challenging. The marathon will always be there waiting for you when you're ready!

Thanks - I've never raced before so it's going to be interesting, I guess this is the part where I thank everyone for motivating me to do my first race

I've also added an half, full and ultra to my epic quest.

I've been running with my iPod Nano (nike fit+), and I was thinking that the readings were a little off, but today I took out my bike (I have a garmin edge 205), and tried out my route, and it was WAY off. Yesterday my NikeFit+ told me that I had gone 15.7 kms, and my route was only 13.5 kms (according to the Edge). I need to borrow Mum's Forerunner more often, and train a heck of a lot harder... I'm not going nearly as far as I thought I was.

I'm glad I still have months till the 1/2 marathon, because I'm going to need it. At least I figured it out now, and not the day of the race. That would be really bad, to be "done" 5 kms before the end of the race.

I'm in! Planning on running my first full marathon at Rock n Roll DC. I wanted to run Boston this year but I can hold off for another year.

That's the one I'm doing!!! I did the Half in DC this year and it's close to home, so I figured it was the perfect full for me to start with.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Damn you all, now a very small part of me now wants to do a marathon *goes off and trys to find a smaller and easier race to run next year*

That's how it starts. :devilish: First it's a 5k, then after you do a couple them and you keep getting new PRs, you go for a 10k. That seems easy, so you say, "A 10miler? Sure, what the heck? ". At that point, a half is *ONLY* 3 more miles. Then you can go 20K, 20miler, or just go straight to the Marathon. (Of course, there are those really strange people who say "why stop there? an Ultra sounds fun". Then we're talking about 50k's and 50 milers. :cower: )

Go for IT! Just increase your mileage (or your duration for about 10%) each week, and take a 20% off week about every 4th or 5th weeks. That helps you avoid injury. Do you crosstraining to keep core and arms strong, and there you go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

I've been told by a Garmin rep that the odometer on your bike (or car) is far more accurate than any GPS. I use mapping software or mile markers on a local trail or my bike or car odometer to get my *real* mileage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

1:37:37 in my half marathon this morning! :)

Legs now don't work. :(

Matt

Smokin' ....my best half is 2:11. I did 11.9 miles yesterday in 1:50:40, and it was the longest run I've done since my last half in March. I hope to get to your speed someday.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

1:37:37 in my half marathon this morning! :)

Legs now don't work. :(

Matt

Holy mac'ncheese batman! That's fast... my first half was 2:12:14... you must have been blitz'ing the course

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36
Current Challenge : #37 Strickland5 Keep Working At It

Scout of the Week - Week 6 of Challenge #42
Social Links | instagram | twitter | Athlinks |

13.1 mile run today... yup, officially back into enduance running :eagerness:

Now I want to be able to run it faster than an easy pace...

Great job. I'm building up -- I've only got to nine miles at a time so far.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Nine miles is still a respectable distance. Keep consistant and you'll be at 18 miles before you know it.

Nine miles and then I come up with some kind of calf injury mixed between shin splints and muscle strain (on the outside of the leg, not in the front or the back). Trying to baby it to get back on the road. I have races to run!

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Nine miles and then I come up with some kind of calf injury mixed between shin splints and muscle strain (on the outside of the leg, not in the front or the back). Trying to baby it to get back on the road. I have races to run!

One leg or both? Also what shoes do you wear and how old are they?

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

A little while ago we discussed hydration and nutrition; what to eat and when, and the pluses/minuses of each option. So now that you’ve got your hydration/nutrition dialed-in how exactly do you carry all that crap for hours of pavement pounding?

Hydration:

Hydration transportation can be categorized into 4 basic types: Single large waist bottle, multiple small waist belt bottles, handheld bottle, aid station.

Waist Bottles – Waist belt held bottles are certainly the most popular choice for long distance road runners. They are easy to access and (for the most part) pretty comfortable. The main difference is how/where the bottles are spread around your belt area.

Single Bottle - A single bottle is almost exclusively carried on the lower back where it’s still accessible yet completely out of the way. Within this type of belt/bottle there are two subtypes: A belt where the bottle sits straight up-and-down, or a belt where the bottle rides at a 30 degree angle.

Torsored_300_300.jpgCRUSH_BOT_black_300_300.jpg

Many people use these as the belts also offer pockets etc. for nutrition (we’ll get to this shortly) & gear and there is less clutter to deal with (compared to the multi-bottle belts). My personal opinion is to give these a pass. After my first run with one of these I had a huge bruise on my spine/lower back from the lid of the bottle continually hitting me as I ran. No matter how much I tightened the belt I couldn’t stop it from bouncing. You can rotate the belt to one side to avoid this, however then you have to deal with an external asymmetry affecting your stride.

Multi-bottles - The multi-bottle belts are another popular option, as they spread the weight of your hydration around your body thus keeping your center of gravity unaffected (…mostly).

HYDRO_4_BOT_front_300_300.jpg Occasionally referred to as “the travelling buffet”, you simply have your load split up and spread around. One advantage this provides is the ability to specialize your hydration options. Want a bottle of sports drink and a bottle of water? Go to it! Most often these come in 2 & 4 bottle options, but with additional/replacement bottle options you could potentially have as many or as few as you’d like. At first use (with a 4) I didn’t like how the bottles interfered with my arm swing, so I switched to a 2 bottle belt and haven’t looked back.

Whether you decide to go with a single or multiple bottles waist belt option, there is a one issue that both these options cause; extra pressure on your pelvis/lower back. It took me a long tome to get used to hauling that sloshing weight around my midsection, my lower back was continually sore after long runs, and I can see how this might REALLY bother some people.

Handheld - Another option that is growing in popularity, especially with trail runners, is the handheld bottle. This technique has grown out of simply carrying a squirt bottle in your hand to specialty bottles with filters and special carrying cases. The most popular options I’ve seen lately are bottles like these:

SaharaPalm_300.jpg

Ergonomic bottle straps with an external pocket for your gels/keys/ninja stars. Carrying a bottle can make your arms sore if you aren’t used to it, but I’ve always appreciated the freedom to switch hands/position whenever necessary.

Aid Stations - For races, I’ve started relying on aid stations for my hydration. You have to schedule your nutrition intake a little more rigidly, but being free from the extra clutter is well worth it for me.

Nutrition:

And what about your nutrition choices? How are you supposed to haul those around? Unless you are dependent on a four slices of pizza, most of the bottle carrying options should be able to help you out. Almost every belt/handheld bottle holder has some sort of zippered pocket(s) to hold your extra stuff. It’s up to you to figure out how much space you are going to need; 1 gel? 2 packages of chews? 15 various packages of cookies/crackers/pretzels/ham sandwich? Do your research, try things on, take your favourite in-race meal and try jamming it in there.

Another consideration is a Gel Flask. Gel flasks look a lot like the bottles carried in the multi-bottle belts. These are used as liquid calorie dispensers. Some people have trouble choking down sticky gels, so by added water to the mix they can get the calories down without risking the gag reflex/projectile vomiting. A friend of mine makes his own gel and swears by these flasks, but I’ve never used one myself.

One option not a lot of people use, but I’ve had pretty good success with is pockets. Yep, those things that come with your shorts (athletic shorts not running shorts). The last few races I’ve done, I’ve thrown my Clif Bloks in my pocket and off I went. No fuss, just easy. It’s not for everyone, but it works for me.

There are other options like Camelback packs, but these aren't seen very much at road races, sure you can bring one if you want, it's just not common. Anyway, I think that’s enough for now, if you have any more specific topics that you’d like to hear about, or specific questions just ask.

Later, KG

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge