Are there many tabletop gamers around?

I was actually just going to start a thread: Old school lifting, old school nerding. Has anyone checked out the burning wheel? It is great. Very character and story oriented. I would love to host an email or live chat game if anyone is willing to take the plunge into an innovative system.

From reading the product page, it sounds really interesting. Do you have any links or information to describe it more without having to pay $25 for the whole book.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

i ignore all the bs on the faq i dont do the games or any thing on it i just use it for the voice my Wot clan uses this all the time .

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

I played 2.5 for a long time as both a player and DM. Mostly play by post. I think the major thing that got me the mod job here was my experience as a moderator on 2 different pbp websites.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Did? Still do! I started off on 2e just before the release of 3e. Loved the 3e upgrade since I always found THAC0 to be confusing. d20 is the best thing to happen to tabletop RPGs IMHO. Now, I loved many of the 3.5 changes, but wasn't thrilled with having to buy new books! 4e is okay, but I personally prefer 3.5. These days, there's really no one to play with live and in person, especially in backwater Missouri. Plus somehow the negative stigma of D&D still sticks in the minds of many. Even those who claim to be intellectual but refuse to expand past sports and booze for the purposes of maintaining machismo. (Sorry not a fan, though I DO like booze and sports!!!) Oh, forgot to mention my days of Mage/Vampire. Fun, but without a strong DM/GM not much point. My GM for Vampire was a creative BEAST!!!

Anyway, as for right now, I play online on Saturday nights on D&D3.5e. My DM lives in Australia, how cool is that? But it cuts into my sleep something fierce. Live chat, char sheets and maps tracked on googleDocs, and coded dice rolling. Plus most of the players are old buds from another RPG I've been playing for 12 years now. Not sure if it's still a private party or if it's open to others. :) But if interested, I can ask! ;)

Now, another topic for discussion. Since the tabletop thing was brought up: fave class?

Mine is Fighter with Rogue as a CLOSE 2nd. I've done the ranger and monk thing, and loved those characters, but #1 has GOT to be the heavy metal hack and slash in your face tank!

Scorpion1674
Human Ranger - Level 1
STR: 8 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 2
"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

I tend to play laconic monk kind of characters. In my Exalted game, I was playing as an Abyssal Midnight caste who spouted off all the dark sides of Buddhist thought. It was awesomely in character for him. I'm currently playing a Victoriana game as a pugilistic Scottish goatman who is wide-eyed and optimistic and has a tendency to eat pretty people's clothes. I named him Billy. He's a lot of fun. :D

I always loved a multiclass fighter/ranger, fighter/thief or ranger/thief. Multiclassing in 2.5 was OP because you were only ever 1 level behind but got awesome combos like backstabbing with a specialized spear or dual wielding specialized swords. Ranger/thief in nature campaigns was fun for sniping with bows.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

From reading the product page, it sounds really interesting. Do you have any links or information to describe it more without having to pay $25 for the whole book.

I think that you can get an idea of the game from http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/index.php?title=Introduction_To_The_Rules

It really is pretty basic, similar to the riddle of steel, in that progress is driven by playing your part not by mercing orcs.

The art of life is more like the wrestler's art than the dancer's, in respect of this, that it should stand ready and firm to meet onsets which are sudden and unexpected. -Marcus Aurelius

My Blog --- My Battle Log

I think that you can get an idea of the game from http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/index.php?title=Introduction_To_The_Rules

It really is pretty basic, similar to the riddle of steel, in that progress is driven by playing your part not by mercing orcs.

Thanks! I forgot to update the other night, but I found out you can also get the first 75 pages of the 600(!) page guide as a .PDF for free from the store.

Level 1 Woodwose

Can we start one some how?

You could play by post. I used to do it before I was so busy during the day. The game goes slower but it's fun to write ornate and descriptive posts and really get into the writing of it.

500 / 330 / 625

You could play by post. I used to do it before I was so busy during the day. The game goes slower but it's fun to write ornate and descriptive posts and really get into the writing of it.

Yeah, but the trick with that is that you end up with arbitrary length requirements that kill the roleplay and ultimately lead to stagnation. There's a way around it, of course: people trusting each other with each other's characters so as to advance the story, but no one ever seems to want to take that step to trust each other.

Yeah, but the trick with that is that you end up with arbitrary length requirements that kill the roleplay and ultimately lead to stagnation. There's a way around it, of course: people trusting each other with each other's characters so as to advance the story, but no one ever seems to want to take that step to trust each other.

We never did. If you only wanted to do a short post, that was on you. I always made it known though that I gave a little extra exp for putting in some effort.You just had to be descriptive enough to make sure you got your point across.

The only requirement I ever had was posting frequency. Once every day for battle situations, once every 2 for all else.

Here is a link to a game where I was a player, i'm reyco asdwon, if you want an example. This site was pretty good until msn shut down its boards and moved what it had to yuku, killed the community and it disbanded.

http://adventuresinroleplaying.yuku.com/topic/97/MT-Lair-of-the-Goblins#.UEfcRIl5mc0

500 / 330 / 625

Thanks! I forgot to update the other night, but I found out you can also get the first 75 pages of the 600(!) page guide as a .PDF for free from the store.
Awesome, let me know if you like it? It is a great system and has a very in depth combat system but you don't have to use it.

The art of life is more like the wrestler's art than the dancer's, in respect of this, that it should stand ready and firm to meet onsets which are sudden and unexpected. -Marcus Aurelius

We never did. If you only wanted to do a short post, that was on you. I always made it known though that I gave a little extra exp for putting in some effort.You just had to be descriptive enough to make sure you got your point across.

The only requirement I ever had was posting frequency. Once every day for battle situations, once every 2 for all else.

Here is a link to a game where I was a player, i'm reyco asdwon, if you want an example. This site was pretty good until msn shut down its boards and moved what it had to yuku, killed the community and it disbanded.

http://adventuresinroleplaying.yuku.com/topic/97/MT-Lair-of-the-Goblins#.UEfcRIl5mc0

Hmm, I see, I see. Most of my experience comes from Gaia Online, which tends to revolve around a very different mindset: they tend to link quality of post to quantity of post, and everyone who plays tends to selfishly tell their own story without getting into the stories of other characters. Sorry if I came on a little strong, there.

e

Awesome, let me know if you like it? It is a great system and has a very in depth combat system but you don't have to use it.

Do you use Gold (version 3) or Revised (version 2)? I am reading the first 75 pages from Gold, but I found a copy of Revised that I'm only going to use (if I like it) until I can get a copy of Burning Wheel Gold. I heard there were a good bit of subtle but important changes between the two

Level 1 Woodwose

that is also why i thought audio chat might be easier than msg boards

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

that is also why i thought audio chat might be easier than msg boards

I think that it would be great to be able to play on audio chat, unfortunately with having people from all sorts of different time zones and schedules I feel like it might be a scheduling nightmare. Play by post would at least be able to alleviate that difficulty.

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/
Hmm, I see, I see. Most of my experience comes from Gaia Online, which tends to revolve around a very different mindset: they tend to link quality of post to quantity of post, and everyone who plays tends to selfishly tell their own story without getting into the stories of other characters. Sorry if I came on a little strong, there.

Yes, well, much of the Gaia population is teenagers. Many of them don't know how to play with others yet. For the most part, PbP can be a very rewarding experience.

If we made a Nerd Fitness PbP, I would love to join. It would need to be a game that I have the rulebooks to here, though, since I can't get new ones where I am.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

e

Do you use Gold (version 3) or Revised (version 2)? I am reading the first 75 pages from Gold, but I found a copy of Revised that I'm only going to use (if I like it) until I can get a copy of Burning Wheel Gold. I heard there were a good bit of subtle but important changes between the two

I use gold, I haven't used the older version so I don't know the difference. I know the burning wheel forums do a lot of PBEM games. Feel free to PM me I don't think anyone is listening to us :)

I use gold, I haven't used the older version so I don't know the difference. I know the burning wheel forums do a lot of PBEM games. Feel free to PM me I don't think anyone is listening to us :)

PM'd

Level 1 Woodwose