Are there any Christian nerds in here.

Hey NF Christians. Feeling pretty lost right now as I recently found out my 19 month old daughter has a brain tumor. We have no idea in how dangerous things are right now but could use as much prayer as we can get. Details here in my thread. Much appreciated.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38849-rooks-tracking-the-daily-grind/page-30

You got it, my friend. Standing with you, albeit from long distance.

• Like 3

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Hey NF Christians. Feeling pretty lost right now as I recently found out my 19 month old daughter has a brain tumor. We have no idea in how dangerous things are right now but could use as much prayer as we can get. Details here in my thread. Much appreciated.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38849-rooks-tracking-the-daily-grind/page-30

I'm a little late here, but I will go check out your thread to keep up.

I'm praying....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Anyone has recommendation for good basic or popular Christianity books? 

Currently I'm reading CS Lewis's Mere Christianity.

Thanks!

Mere Christianity is one of the best there is.  Other books by Lewis are excellent as well, God in the Dock is worth reading.  

Also Chesterton's Orthodoxy.  

• Like 2

Unbroken is a great biography of Louis Zamperini that tells how his life story of being an Olympic runner, than a prisoner of war, and his struggles upon returning home and his conversion to Christianity.

Another great biography

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr,Prophet, Spy

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Unbroken is a great biography of Louis Zamperini that tells how his life story of being an Olympic runner, than a prisoner of war, and his struggles upon returning home and his conversion to Christianity.

Another great biography

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr,Prophet, Spy

Mention of Bonhoeffer reminded me of his The Cost of Discipleship.  

Confessions of St Augustine is an excellent portrait of conversion.

Christian Proficiency by Martin Thornton is another of my personal favorites.

Thomas Merton's The Seven Story Mountain.  Another book about conversion.

Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich

I know of number of people who got a lot out of Interior Castles by Theresa of Avila and/or Ascent of Mount Carmel by John of the Cross, but I could personally never get into them.

For learning to live the Christian life the Rule of St Benedict is worth a read, bearing in mind that it was written for monks and that it was considered a fairly easy-going monastic rule for its time.

I'm sure I'll come up with others.

• Like 2

Mention of Bonhoeffer reminded me of his The Cost of Discipleship.  

Confessions of St Augustine is an excellent portrait of conversion.

Christian Proficiency by Martin Thornton is another of my personal favorites.

Thomas Merton's The Seven Story Mountain.  Another book about conversion.

Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich

I know of number of people who got a lot out of Interior Castles by Theresa of Avila and/or Ascent of Mount Carmel by John of the Cross, but I could personally never get into them.

For learning to live the Christian life the Rule of St Benedict is worth a read, bearing in mind that it was written for monks and that it was considered a fairly easy-going monastic rule for its time.

I'm sure I'll come up with others.

There are a couple more books written by Boenhoffer, that I can't recall the names of, but are good reads

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I know I have a couple others, but this is a great start! I love biographies!

John Michael talbot has a great one...the world is my cloister. ..living a committed life but not in a monastery.

Prison to praise is amazing, mind changing.

Wigglesworth, and Bevington ...two authors. Wildross will remember the titles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

If you like Lewis' Mere Christianity try N.T. Wright's Simply Christian.

Anyone has recommendation for good basic or popular Christianity books? 

Currently I'm reading CS Lewis's Mere Christianity.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Had a really neat experience last night.  Christartist and I have 5 children, ages 33-27.  We're more or less estranged from 4 of them for various reasons.  None of those 4 are really walking with the Lord (IMO).  One of them (son #2) had called me several days ago while I was on a business trip.  I finally got back to him last night.  Subject: Preparing for the end times.  While it veered towards the practical quite a bit, I was able to remind him of the Bible teaching he had as a child.  It was extremely encouraging to hear him thinking about things seriously.  Had a great 90 minute or so talk with him on a wide range of subjects.  The real catalyst behind this:  his current girlfriend (and mother of child #2) is pregnant with child #3 (we knew this) and he wants to be able to keep them as safe as possible.

God works.  In His time.

• Like 6

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Had a really neat experience last night.  Christartist and I have 5 children, ages 33-27.  We're more or less estranged from 4 of them for various reasons.  None of those 4 are really walking with the Lord (IMO).  One of them (son #2) had called me several days ago while I was on a business trip.  I finally got back to him last night.  Subject: Preparing for the end times.  While it veered towards the practical quite a bit, I was able to remind him of the Bible teaching he had as a child.  It was extremely encouraging to hear him thinking about things seriously.  Had a great 90 minute or so talk with him on a wide range of subjects.  The real catalyst behind this:  his current girlfriend (and mother of child #2) is pregnant with child #3 (we knew this) and he wants to be able to keep them as safe as possible.

God works.  In His time.

This is great news, and a good reminder that God is at work in our children's lives

• Like 2

Had a really neat experience last night. Christartist and I have 5 children, ages 33-27. We're more or less estranged from 4 of them for various reasons. None of those 4 are really walking with the Lord (IMO). One of them (son #2) had called me several days ago while I was on a business trip. I finally got back to him last night. Subject: Preparing for the end times. While it veered towards the practical quite a bit, I was able to remind him of the Bible teaching he had as a child. It was extremely encouraging to hear him thinking about things seriously. Had a great 90 minute or so talk with him on a wide range of subjects. The real catalyst behind this: his current girlfriend (and mother of child #2) is pregnant with child #3 (we knew this) and he wants to be able to keep them as safe as possible.

God works. In His time.

I'm totally lurking bc I am nosey and fascinated by people's religious choices, but this is great, if I did that my mom would be ecstatic, so I can imagine how awesome it must be :) so YAY!!!

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I'm totally lurking bc I am nosey and fascinated by people's religious choices, but this is great, if I did that my mom would be ecstatic, so I can imagine how awesome it must be :) so YAY!!!

Lurk away.  I poke around the other stuff for the same reason.  I like to know what makes people tick.

Funny story.  I was at a conference once and a speaker used a "humorous" example that referenced a common Bible story (maybe something about going 2x2 like the animals on the ark) that any kid who's been to a vacation Bible school or Sunday School would know.  It fell flat.  Looking around the room it was easily 50% people from the Indian sub continent.  Know your audience...  (and it wasn't me who did it either).

• Like 3

Tally Sheet for 2019

I like to know what makes people tick.

I do, too. I'm a fan of Henry Cloud and John Townsend, who write about faith and psychology, and I think science and faith aren't mutually exclusive. It's beneficial to know how the mind works (as far as we can) and to understand what drives us.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

• Like 2

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

I'm a fan of Henry Cloud and John Townsend, who write about faith and psychology, and I think science and faith aren't mutually exclusive. It's beneficial to know how the mind works (as far as we can) and to understand what drives us.

Sounds like I've got new authors to add to Goodreads.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

• Like 2

Just had a dig through my e-book library and found Boundaries, Boundaries in Dating, Boundaries with Kids, Boundaries with Teens, How People Grow, How to Have that Difficult Conversation, Integrity and Necessary Endings.

Pleasing, to say the least. That'll keep me going for a little while.

• Like 3

And grand baby #6 is officially on the way.  Of our 5 kids, only 1 is married.  This is her 3rd.  The other 2 (+1 in the hopper) grand babies come from son #2 from 2 different women.  Sigh.  Not quite the way we envisioned it.

So 3 grandsons, 1 grand daughter.  Another grand son and grand (gender to be determined) in process.  Does that mean we've officially multiplied (more grand kids than kids?)

• Like 5

Tally Sheet for 2019