Are there any Christian nerds in here.

I seem to be saying this many times on many threads, but THIS IS AWESOME!  Each day I find a "new" thread to check-in or follow.  I am a Christian, raised in a Christian home.  It is so reassuring to see so many other Christians in here.  I just want to share with others a quote that has helped me change my life for the better.

"GIGO...garbage in, garbage out."  Be aware of what you put into your mind/body, because it will be what everyone else sees in you.

Élan Scout Level 2STR-5, DEX-4.5, STA-8.25, CON-1.5, WIS-3, CHA-2I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

Compete Everyday

Although it seems like this is simply becoming a scattered role call here (which the title would seem to imply, anyway) I thought I would go ahead and proclaim myself on this forum as a Christian. I'm still fairly new in my walk, having come to know Him only a little over a year ago. But I've been blessed in so many ways since that choice. It is hard to believe that everyone wouldn't want this joy and peace that Christians have. :)

Paladin

Level 1 Dwarven Scout

2 STR  |  3 DEX  |  3 STA  |  2 CON  |  3 WIS  |  2 CHA

Battle Log  |  Current Challenge: Paladin's Return to the Road

"Fat doesn't get sore, muscle does." Doctor Wes Nyberg

Studying to be a Catholic priest and have 3 more years to go.  Liked the end of this post by Steve on the blog:  http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/04/11/what-now/

I'm in it for the long haul!  That means I need to be physically alive to serve as much as I can in this life, because this life in beautiful.

I wonder if they could add a Christian section to the "Druid" class?

Current inspiration:  Psalm 8:3-4 (RSV)

3 When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; 4 what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?

Always inspiration for Nerd Fitness: Colossians 1:24-26 (RSV)

24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, 25 of which I became a minister according to the divine office which was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, 26 the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now made manifest to his saints.

Hobbit Adventurer

Just found this group, brilliant! Christian nerd here, looking forward to catching up on this thread and getting to know you guys :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

Thought I'd share from this past weekend's message at my church, which I feel is pretty connected not only to our faith but also to our fitness lifestyle as well:

1 Chronicles 28:10 (NIV) "Consider now, for the LORD has chosen you to build a house as the sanctuary. Be strong and do the work."

I'm Christian.  Raised Catholic, lapsed into agnosticism, married a Christian woman, went to church with her, evetually going through some moving experiences that leave me identifying as Christian.

It helps to find the nerdiest pastor in the northeast US.

Sermon that got me to his church? Superman as Christ metaphor.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

i was raised a catholic but am now atheist (not starting anything just got a quick question). can i ask what the deal is with the different denominations? someone mentioned being catholic and going to a baptist church and no-one judging or something like, in the UK it's never really thought of as being different in my experience, just different ways of doing the same thing (i've thought the same with islam and judaism but that's a whole different discussion), so really my question is, do different christian denominations really differentiate themselves from others that much in the US? (extremists aside)

Yes, there are differences, big ones.  Still, the differences between Christianity and Judaism are bigger and between Christianity and Islam even more (in a sense). Anyway, here's a good, nerdy diagram:

Christianity-Branches-2013update.png

Here's another nerdy diagram of the many Protestant denominations:

denominations_family_tree_v3.png

The Catholic Church has a particular way of seeing the differences, but I don't think we need to get into that in this thread.  You can PM me or start a new thread if you'd like.

Hobbit Adventurer

And even within denominations, there are splits - Lutheran, for example. Here in the states you have the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA), which is more liberal than the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS); the latter two being more conservative than ELCA, and WELS being more than LCMS. There are other smaller Lutheran synods/groups here in the states also.

A lot of it is based on the interpretation of scripture, the doctrine/theology based on the interpretation, and unfortunately, world views which some denominations take as higher meaning over scripture (IMHO).

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

so it's pretty much just how people see the bible and which bits they feel are more important? and the arguing (was going to say hate but that seemed too strong a word... though for a rare few it fits just right) is done by those who are naturally inclined to be more active with their views? (trying to be PC here :))

Unfortunately yes; some denominations feel they can pick and choose what parts of the Bible apply (or don't apply) to life (for example, same-sex marriage) based on what's going on in the world, while others stand firm in the Word and their doctrine/theology.

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

i was raised a catholic but am now atheist (not starting anything just got a quick question). can i ask what the deal is with the different denominations? someone mentioned being catholic and going to a baptist church and no-one judging or something like, in the UK it's never really thought of as being different in my experience, just different ways of doing the same thing (i've thought the same with islam and judaism but that's a whole different discussion), so really my question is, do different christian denominations really differentiate themselves from others that much in the US? (extremists aside)

I'm not a Religious man, but I refuse to "Deny" the existence of a god. However as an Northern Irish Catholic who lives in Scotland. Trust me we care about the differences, My family would never set foot in a Protestant church or any of the others, It's how we were raised. An' even a lot of Scottish people even those who aren't -that- religious will not set foot in a church of another sect of the Faith that isn't their own.

If am honest here in the UK being Religious is almost an Embarrassing Secret, Most people I know who are will never bring it up and if they are found out they are slagged off and questioned into silence. Not trying to start anything, but in my experience it's all right to be Muslim, Jewish and the others, but if you're catholic you're immediately insulted and questioned about all the Child abuse claims.

It's one of the things that keeps me from Exploring religion more, That and the simple fact every small bible i've got my hands on has had no structure they're just a mishmash of passages.

I'm the Guy who lifts stuff.

Bodyfat: 14%   Weight: 74 Kilos

ORM Bench press : 58 Kilos     ORM Deadlift : 115 kilos       ORM Squat : 75 kilos