Are there any Christian nerds in here.

Saying a prayer for you. On video games: I say the same thing as someone who says I can't help but eat all the cookies in my house,get rid of them. Put them in the basement in a locked box where they are super hard to get to, or loan them to a friend for 6 months. I'm not against all video games (wouldn't dare on this board :) ) but if you can't just play them sometimes and its an addiction, the best thing is to just not have the temptation available. A good step to being a man is to take responsibility for your actions, and in this case I think that means if you really want to play games less, than make it as hard as possible to play games.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

this is probably going to get me lynched... but screw it i'm curious i'd like to ask you lot (because you're all christians) what you think of this song, paying particular attention to the first 21 seconds. i'd like to vigorously point out that i'm not trying to stir anything up, question peoples beliefs or give you any grief WHAT SO EVER, i'm merely curious as to a christians response to this song despite the actual meaning of it

here goes...

please don't kick me off the boards :)

this is probably going to get me lynched... but screw it i'm curious i'd like to ask you lot (because you're all christians) what you think of this song, paying particular attention to the first 21 seconds. i'd like to vigorously point out that i'm not trying to stir anything up, question peoples beliefs or give you any grief WHAT SO EVER, i'm merely curious as to a christians response to this song despite the actual meaning of it

here goes...

please don't kick me off the boards :)

No lynching here ^_^ 

Ironically, what I think about this song pretty closely parallels what I thought about a lot of the praise and worship songs when I was an atheist.  I can appreciate and understand some of the sentiments in it, but overall, it's not for me. :) It doesn't upset me, or piss me off, or make me want to go off on a rant or anything.  

I don't think that people can be argued into believing in something, and even if they could, it would kind of miss the point of belief and faith.  If you (or anybody else) really truly believes that there is no god, and that works for you and you're at peace with that belief, then that's awesome.  I don't believe in conversion by the sword.  If, on the other hand, someone espouses this belief out of a desire to upset, offend, or enrage someone, then I think that they're misguided, and possibly a little childish.  

I would much rather address the honest concerns and curiosities of a considerate skeptic than listen to the hate-filled proselytizing of groups like the Westboro Baptist Church any day.  

Thanks for being brave enough to ask ^_^

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

No lynching here  ^_^

Ironically, what I think about this song pretty closely parallels what I thought about a lot of the praise and worship songs when I was an atheist.  I can appreciate and understand some of the sentiments in it, but overall, it's not for me.  :) It doesn't upset me, or piss me off, or make me want to go off on a rant or anything.  

I don't think that people can be argued into believing in something, and even if they could, it would kind of miss the point of belief and faith.  If you (or anybody else) really truly believes that there is no god, and that works for you and you're at peace with that belief, then that's awesome.  I don't believe in conversion by the sword.  If, on the other hand, someone espouses this belief out of a desire to upset, offend, or enrage someone, then I think that they're misguided, and possibly a little childish.  

I would much rather address the honest concerns and curiosities of a considerate skeptic than listen to the hate-filled proselytizing of groups like the Westboro Baptist Church any day.  

Thanks for being brave enough to ask  ^_^

you're-a star (the hyphen is there 'cause of my accent :)... even though i don't have one :tongue:) and yeah, me no likey Westboro Baptists, they make me all kinds of mad (like utilising a baseball bat upon their persons)

Well, Timmy,

I personally find the thought of a world without God to be the most frightening and depressing possibility out there. The only ones who would really rejoice at that are those who wish that there were no Truth with which they must reckon.

that really wasn't the direction i was heading in with my query, there's so much more to that song than 'There is no God', which is kinda what i was getting at

I second what childofscorn said. The song isn't for me, but then, exactly like was said above, I also get annoyed at a lot of the preachiness in modern Christian music too, which is why I don't listen to a lot of it. I think, on both sides, we have a lot more in common than we let oursleves realize. And even if I disagree with a lot of what he says, I think the line "we're all in this together" is something that just about everyone can agree on. And, you know, if I let someone's religion or lack of religion get in the way of me showing them love and respect regardless, that is 100% on me, and no one else.

So no worries, no lynchings for the foreseeable future! ;)

I second what childofscorn said. The song isn't for me, but then, exactly like was said above, I also get annoyed at a lot of the preachiness in modern Christian music too, which is why I don't listen to a lot of it. I think, on both sides, we have a lot more in common than we let oursleves realize. And even if I disagree with a lot of what he says, I think the line "we're all in this together" is something that just about everyone can agree on. And, you know, if I let someone's religion or lack of religion get in the way of me showing them love and respect regardless, that is 100% on me, and no one else.

Yep.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

thanks, i was hoping i would get these sorts of replies and that line is the reason why, just because Frank's an atheist (ditto by the way but i aint preachy, raised catholic too) doesn't mean he doesn't want to be friends with every decent person out there, it's one of the reasons he's one of my favourite musicians. He's getting pretty big in the UK (toured with Dropkick Murphys too and has been on a bit of US telly) and he's still honest to a tee, much more likeable then the majority of famous people, especially 'singers' these days

and i hope someones religion or lack of won't get in the way of you liking someone, surely that's the whole point in religion

GAH. I had a reply all typed out and then the forum gods ate it.

Anyway, I'm Catholic! I went to a Catholic college and knew plenty of people who were devout, some who weren't religious, and some who fell away. We all got along and enjoyed each other's company, especially at the campus bar (one advantage to your school being Catholic and founded by Germans is that we were one of the only wet campuses in the country, heh). I mean, you can learn so much from people - especially those who are different!

I think the only thing I struggle with - and I'm sure everyone does - is, how do you stay true to yourself and your beliefs and also remain respectful? There's no point in hiding who you are, but it can be easy to be called "preachy" - I'm sure plenty of believers would call the above video preachy, while a lot of Christian stuff is too overt as well. I mean, I guess it's inevitable that you'll step on someone's toes, no matter what you believe, but as long as we're honest and humble, I think most misunderstandings can be cleared up.

and i hope someones religion or lack of won't get in the way of you liking someone, surely that's the whole point in religion

I hope so too. :)

yeah this is why i was so unsure about posting but i was genuinely curious what a proper christian would think of it, i've had to think a bit with my replies as well lol, considering that fact that its a good meaningful song and yet blatantly atheist, just a thought what do you all reckon to John Lennon's 'Imagine' i'm gonna presume you don't feel untoward towards that (do americans use the word 'untoward'?)

On the song, and admitting I really couldn't catch a lot of what he said; I think the line "we're all in it together " is good and true. However, I disagree with the singer on the why and where that desire comes from. I think the reason we all have a need to be loved, and "be in in together" is because there is a God and He created us with a need and desire to be in community (or as the song writer said "be in it together) As opposed to the singer who believes (I think, didn't catch all he said) that we have to be in it together because this is all we have.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I need to talk to someone . I want to pull my self out of the hole I am in. But I am basically a habitual lier who is more focused on video games and crap than what I need to be . I am not the man of my house heck I wouldnt even consider my self a man at this point. I have delayed finishing my divorce because I am afra7d of losing my kids I basically quit anything to hard. And I am at a loss. I know I need god to be the focus of my life but I am not doing that right now...

When I have a problem I find scriptures that help me and read them over and over and speak them out loud (faith comes by hearing... and there is the power of life and death in the tongue so I prefer to speak life... when God made the earth he spoke it into being and we have God the holy spirit in us to give us pretty and to be our help) I could preach a whole book there... but I gotta go to work soon ;)

For example... I'm having issues with patience and acting in a loving manner to my children... I love them (more than life itself) and sometimes (more often than not) I find myself being short with them... I could list a million reasons why but God didn't give me those children to be short with them... he gave them to me to teach them about the world and about His glory...

I copied the "love chapter" (love is patient love is kind love keeps no record of wrongs etc) on an index card and poor man laminated it (covered it in scotch tape)... when my kids do something and I have a knee jerk reaction to yell at them I pull the card out of my pocket and read it... sometimes just the first sentence is enough to calm me... sometimes I need to read the whole thing...

It usually looks like this... zombie hits ras... ras screams at zombie and pushes him... zombie screams at ras and hits her again.. I come in the room... I feel like screaming... I put my hand up (in surrender) and take a deep breath (at this point I say nothing because I know I will yell at them) pull card out of my pocket and read it out loud... love is patient etc... then I take another deep breath and all what happened... both kids start yelling and talking at once... I feel anger bubbling... I take a deep breath and read the card out loud again... love is patient etc... sometimes I have to read it four times... sometimes one... I manage to get it sorted out and not yell at them... they go their separate ways... I feel like super mom because I've demonstrated that they can handle conflict without yelling

It doesn't ALWAYS happen like this... but it's happening more and more... I use to scream and beat my kids... I haven't beat them in more than two years... I haven't screamed in the same time.. I do sometimes yell... but it's much different now...

This method works.. I've used it to defeat claustrophobia (I wasn't given a spirit of fear but of power) and self esteem issues (I'm writing a book about that struggle see my battle log... if the king is enthralled with my beauty it means I must have beauty to be enthralled with... and if Jesus loves me it means I must be loveable)

My twelve year old zombie said to me that I was a proverbs thirty one mom and that he thought that I was awesome to reach him how to use scripture to fix his problems (he has asperger's and has lots of problems)

When a job goes wrong you go back to the beginning... in the beginning there was the word... when the job goes wrong go back to the word

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I think the only thing I struggle with - and I'm sure everyone does - is, how do you stay true to yourself and your beliefs and also remain respectful? There's no point in hiding who you are, but it can be easy to be called "preachy" - I'm sure plenty of believers would call the above video preachy, while a lot of Christian stuff is too overt as well. I mean, I guess it's inevitable that you'll step on someone's toes, no matter what you believe, but as long as we're honest and humble, I think most misunderstandings can be cleared up.

I hope so too. :)

Eh... I just do my thing... people know I won't gossip... when the people at work start gossiping I find something to do in another room... I don't say anything other than "excuse me I have to do xyz" and walk away... when people ask me "what do you think about so and so" I say "I prefer not to gossip, I worked with her yes but I'm not comfortable talking about that" after a while people just kinda got the hint...

Now people know that what they say to me won't go anywhere... people talk to me and I can help them by being an ear

My unit (I'm a nurse in intensive care) is a very vulgar unit... I don't cuss... I say "darn" or "blasted" or "expletive" I get laughed at sometimes... but when I say it around the docs one of them was like "oh I'm sorry I should clean up my language"

I try not to preach with my words as much as I preach with my actions

• Like 1

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

On the song, and admitting I really couldn't catch a lot of what he said; I think the line "we're all in it together " is good and true. However, I disagree with the singer on the why and where that desire comes from. I think the reason we all have a need to be loved, and "be in in together" is because there is a God and He created us with a need and desire to be in community (or as the song writer said "be in it together) As opposed to the singer who believes (I think, didn't catch all he said) that we have to be in it together because this is all we have.

lyrics: http://www.songlyrics.com/frank-turner/glory-hallelujah-lyrics/

he is the songwriter too and he is a firm believer in what he says, it's not just about the 'we're all in this together' bit, it's also about standing up and being yourself, living your life without fear from persecution of some overwhelming/overbearing force and being all you can be in the best way because that's how you should be living (imho)

he is the songwriter too and he is a firm believer in what he says, it's not just about the 'we're all in this together' bit, it's also about standing up and being yourself, living your life without fear from persecution of some overwhelming/overbearing force and being all you can be in the best way because that's how you should be living (imho)

I live my life without fear of persecution... God is not some overbearing force... He is my father who loves me and wants the best for me not some sort of vengeful dud who wants to smite me all the time...

The thought that God wants to punish us is religious baloney... it's rubbish... and I'm sorry that so many Christians harbour this view... God wants to prosper us... God wants us to be happy... the joy of the Lord is our strength... the verses that talk about the fear of the Lord being the beginning of wisdom... fear is another word for respect

I could preach a whole sermon about that but I've got to get up and go to work

Spoiler

This is where i have my problems . Pretty jacked up right now but i guess now i have a starting point finally.

OLD                           CHANGE                                  NEW

God not in my life                                God must be the focus of my life

Alone                                                   Must work to be in the lives of those people I care about

Fat                                                       Must work out and diet in a smart way

Money                                                  Must work hard in my job and to fine a better one    

Must not focus on having more money than needed .    

Must focus on providing for my family

Lies                                                      Must take responsibility for my actions.

Excuses                                               NONE JUST DO IT

Hating my self                                      Must do the above

Be the man and father I should be       Must do the above      

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

I live my life without fear of persecution... God is not some overbearing force... He is my father who loves me and wants the best for me not some sort of vengeful dud who wants to smite me all the time... The thought that God wants to punish us is religious baloney... it's rubbish... and I'm sorry that so many Christians harbour this view... God wants to prosper us... God wants us to be happy... the joy of the Lord is our strength... the verses that talk about the fear of the Lord being the beginning of wisdom... fear is another word for respect I could preach a whole sermon about that but I've got to get up and go to work Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

no need to preach it i know it, not saying i follow it, just what i thought Frank meant with the lyrics :) 

This is where i have my problems . Pretty jacked up right now but i guess now i have a starting point finally.

God not in my life                                God must be the focus of my life

Alone                                                   Must work to be in the lives of those people I care about

Fat                                                       Must work out and diet in a smart way

Money                                                  Must work hard in my job and to fine a better one    

Lies                                                      Must take responsibility for my actions.

Great thoughts. The only things I would add to it is to remember how very much God loves you. He loves you just the way you are now. And he will be there with you helping you to make the changes you need to make and giving you the strength. Just as you love the kids when they mess up. You want to help them not mess up because you know it will make them happier, but you still love them. That is just a tiny picture of God's love for us.

lyrics: http://www.songlyrics.com/frank-turner/glory-hallelujah-lyrics/

Thanks. Much easier to follow with the written lyrics.

Well I guess I would say I agree with him. We should celebrate that there is no god like the god he talks about.

A couple of lines from his song and my take;

Step out of the darkness and on to the streets

Forget about the fast, let's have a carnival feast"

His view is that we should be freed by the idea that we don't have to lives our lives in sorrow and darkness because of some overbearing force. And I agree with that. I disagree with his conclusion that  if god isn't like this He doesn't exsist. I believe that God is loving and merciful and kind. He brings us joy and we should live our lives in celebration because of all the wonderful gifts he has given us. I think Christians should be celebrating a carnival feast  right now because of the joy Christ brings us.

"No cowering in the dark before some overbearing priest

No waiting until we die, until we restitute the meek"

Once again I agree, who wants to live their life cowering from a God such as this. But, the God I know is not like that. And we don't have to wait until we die to know the blessing of His love

"We'd be our own salvation army and together we believe

In all the wondrous things that mere mortals can achieve"

Yes, I think we mere mortals can achieve great things. However, I believe it is because God created us to be able to do great things. I also believe that I am not burdened by an angry  God demanding me to do things,but rather I have hope and peace knowing that God is working in my life and helping me to do great things.

Ok rather long and probably preachy, but you asked, so there it is.  All in all, I am rather sad for the singer who sounds like he was probably hurt by people in the church and it makes me wonder how we as Christians can better show Christ's love to people.

And the grammar Nazi in me says that he actually is saying there is a God, since he used a double negative :) 

• Like 1

ok... you are in a place where you will be supported and loved... I want to say that first and foremost... NF is one of the most awesome communities I have EVER EVER found...

second... you are in a place that fosters self improvement...

third... I vote that you make a challenge... based on those things that you need to change... if you need specific steps or ideas for specific goals ASK!!! we will help you!

fouth... hating yourself... man I am so there... well I used to be... I have spent the last 6 years studying myself and learning to love myself... I have spent since last fall trying to figure out what is behind my self image issues and battling that demon... (see my battle log linkie in my sig)... make a battle log... FIGHT... learn to love yourself... Jesus loves you... so that means you are loveable...

fifth... the people in your life can usually see the changes in your life... don't make big statements like "oh I am going to change just you wait and see"... just change... they will notice it soon enough... preach with your actions and not your words...

six... "fat"... I have learned that eating well and exercising is for me as much a form of worship as singing and raising my hands and dancing to praise music... God gave me one body to steward... I want him to say to me "well done!"...

seventh... and last... life is like a trip... you are going somewhere... and you don't always know how to get there... but if you use gps you can find your way... my gps needs to know a starting point... well... you know your starting point and your destination... you can get there... and we are here to help

Spoiler

And the grammar Nazi in me says that he actually is saying there is a God, since he used a double negative :) 

yeah that bit rankles me a bit too lol, it is a bit contradictory :P good of you to go through it like that, my experiences with the catholic church aren't really like he says but i am aware of people/places who act like that 'through God' so it's no wonder people are so strongly against it, saying that most UK christians are incredibly moderate and Frank might of just come across a zealot for all we know