Are there any Christian nerds in here.

This is where i have my problems . Pretty jacked up right now but i guess now i have a starting point finally.

OLD                           CHANGE                                  NEW

God not in my life                                God must be the focus of my life

Alone                                                   Must work to be in the lives of those people I care about

Fat                                                       Must work out and diet in a smart way

Money                                                  Must work hard in my job and to fine a better one    

Must not focus on having more money than needed .    

Must focus on providing for my family

Lies                                                      Must take responsibility for my actions.

Excuses                                               NONE JUST DO IT

Hating my self                                      Must do the above

Be the man and father I should be       Must do the above      

Hey, good on you! I know these probably seem overwhelming at times, but any struggle to improve ourselves is never easy. I think you've taken a huge first step by looking honestly at yourself, admitting past mistakes, and setting goals for the future. We're totally here for you, and I'll definitely say some prayers. And I second what others have said - God loves you so much, it's incomprehensible, and He'll be with you every step of the way, especially when it gets hard.

Thanks. Much easier to follow with the written lyrics.

Well I guess I would say I agree with him. We should celebrate that there is no god like the god he talks about.

Ooh, fantastic point. Couldn't agree more.

yeah that bit rankles me a bit too lol, it is a bit contradictory :tongue: good of you to go through it like that, my experiences with the catholic church aren't really like he says

I'm glad. I would hate to think of anyone not living their faith true and representing us Papists badly. ;)

Ok, so, I have a question for my fellow Christian nerds. This is really shameful for me to admit, but I have never read the entire Bible. I really want to, but my problem is, every time I've started at the beginning, I end up hitting all the "begats" and whatnot and get bored and derailed. Do you guys have any particular books/chapters you recommend? I'm sure many of you have read the whole thing - where did you start? Any advice?

Thanks!

I'm glad. I would hate to think of anyone not living their faith true and representing us Papists badly. ;)

it's really because most christians are very moderate, especially compared to what i've seen of american christians in my travels (don't mean that in a bad way, just incase someone misconstrues that), i've found faith/belief/religion etc is much more literal and outspoken in the US (for instance, i don't think i've met someone who believes in the bible as a historic text, creationist etc), that could be that the priests i've had are more relaxed (apart from one who should really of been a monk) as well as the fact that Brits are much less 'emotional' than americans. it's that good old 'we've had our empire' thing whilst america is still a 'young' country argument i reckon

yeah that bit rankles me a bit too lol, it is a bit contradictory :tongue: good of you to go through it like that, my experiences with the catholic church aren't really like he says but i am aware of people/places who act like that 'through God' so it's no wonder people are so strongly against it, saying that most UK christians are incredibly moderate and Frank might of just come across a zealot for all we know

Glad your experiences weren't like that. Yep, there are churches like that. I do pray for the churches and Christians (especially myself) that we will be true examples of Christ's love

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Ok, so, I have a question for my fellow Christian nerds. This is really shameful for me to admit, but I have never read the entire Bible. I really want to, but my problem is, every time I've started at the beginning, I end up hitting all the "begats" and whatnot and get bored and derailed. Do you guys have any particular books/chapters you recommend? I'm sure many of you have read the whole thing - where did you start? Any advice?

Thanks!

Not shameful at all. I ha.ve the same issue. It wasn't until I joined NF and made daily Bible reading a habit that I actually started reading the whole Bible through. And I still get bogged down in some of the Old Testament (admitting to really skimming the begats) but I am enjoying reading the Bible all the way through. I have a plan that will take me 2 years, most plans are 1 year. But I always got overwhelmed and quit. And I don't pay attention to the dates and feel guilty if I'm "behind" Just proud of how far I've made it and keep going.My reading plan http://trinitykirk.org/reading_plan

If you want to just pick a Bible book and read it, my favorite is Ephesians. I'm working on memorizing it (slowly) It is a great reminder of how very much God loves us and the blessings we have in Christ

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

it's really because most christians are very moderate, especially compared to what i've seen of american christians in my travels (don't mean that in a bad way, just incase someone misconstrues that), i've found faith/belief/religion etc is much more literal and outspoken in the US (for instance, i don't think i've met someone who believes in the bible as a historic text, creationist etc), that could be that the priests i've had are more relaxed (apart from one who should really of been a monk) as well as the fact that Brits are much less 'emotional' than americans. it's that good old 'we've had our empire' thing whilst america is still a 'young' country argument i reckon

I think you're right about that. What I find fascinating is this goes all the way back to our founding and before - it's not like it's a recent trend. Since America has attracted people for so long, there's naturally sort of a mixing-pot of cultures and faiths, and historically there's been both acceptance and fear in reaction. Human nature, I guess.

Not shameful at all. I ha.ve the same issue. It wasn't until I joined NF and made daily Bible reading a habit that I actually started reading the whole Bible through. And I still get bogged down in some of the Old Testament (admitting to really skimming the begats) but I am enjoying reading the Bible all the way through. I have a plan that will take me 2 years, most plans are 1 year. But I always got overwhelmed and quit. And I don't pay attention to the dates and feel guilty if I'm "behind" Just proud of how far I've made it and keep going.My reading plan http://trinitykirk.org/reading_plan

If you want to just pick a Bible book and read it, my favorite is Ephesians. I'm working on memorizing it (slowly) It is a great reminder of how very much God loves us and the blessings we have in Christ

Awesome! Yeah, for a book that, in comparison to many others, isn't very huge, it can be a tough one to get through.

I've never read it through all the way either.  Like Elastigirl mentioned, there are a number of programs out there designed to avoid the trap of getting bogged down in all the genealogy stuff.  They tend to skip around a bunch, so you're usually reading something different from what you may have read the past few days.  I guess that helps to avoid getting stuck in the drier parts :)

Hey, new to the forums, been reading for a while. Christian nerd here, heading to Chicago for college. I was wondering if anyone, by chance, lived in Chicago and had a good suggestion for a church. I'm looking at Moody Church, but I'll be in Evanston, so it's a bit of a ride to get there, and I'll have to see if it's feasible.

Thanks!

I read through using YouVersion doing the ESV study bible plan. It had a good variety of sections each day (One psalm, proverb, wisdom, one of the first five, or history books, one prophet, and one gospel/epistle) and the ESV is easier to read than KJV, but very accurate in terms of the translation, not changed like the Message (not that the Message isn't great for people who need easier reading level, or are new to Christianity. Some of the Message translation is very poetic). 

[*]Human Adventurer working on being a Monk

[*]STR: 2, DEX: 2, STA: 1, CON: 3, WIS: 4, CHA: 3

Rambling thoughts:

Talking about reading the Bible all the way through and then thinking about the song Tim posted had me pondering. I had tried to read the Bible through before, but like I said I got stuck. And I was thinking about why that was. And then I thought about the song and how the singer saw God as someone who was like a mean parent, always telling you how wrong you were. And it struck me as how sometimes I lived my life as if I believed that too. Before, when I would start reading the Bible through, I'd get bored or busy and miss a few days. And I'd think of God as frowning at me, telling me how lots of other people had it all together why couldn't I. I thought God thought of me as the ultimate loser who was never going to change. But God showed me how wrong that view was. As I memorized Ephesians, I realized that He loves me just as I am, He knows I am a sinner and prone to wander, and He loves me anyway. I don't have to earn His love. And when I forget to read the Bible, He like a loving parent, reminds me and gives me the strength to get back to it. He knows I will mess up sometimes, but He also has promised that He will keep working in me and bringing me closer to him.

Thanks!

I love the Psalms and Proverbs in particular.  I love that it's written in such a way that it flows so poetically, but is packed full of good advice, and truisms, and...uhm, proverbs. ^_^ lol at some point I came across a discussion by C.S. Lewis where he breaks down some of the psalms and goes into how the language that was chosen, and the way in which they were written, maintain their poetic flavor even through multiple translations.  I would maybe recommend looking for a devotional or something that helps put each of the books and chapters into some sort of context?  That could make some of the begats make more sense, and be less boring.  At one point I was working with just such a text that explained that the whole purpose of all those begats was to establish the lineage of Jesus and to demonstrate to the Jews exactly how he was the Messiah that was spoken of by the prohpets.  Somehow, seeing it in its historical context as a family tree made it easier for me to get through that. ^_^

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

I love the Psalms and Proverbs in particular.  I love that it's written in such a way that it flows so poetically, but is packed full of good advice, and truisms, and...uhm, proverbs. ^_^ lol at some point I came across a discussion by C.S. Lewis where he breaks down some of the psalms and goes into how the language that was chosen, and the way in which they were written, maintain their poetic flavor even through multiple translations.  I would maybe recommend looking for a devotional or something that helps put each of the books and chapters into some sort of context?  That could make some of the begats make more sense, and be less boring.  At one point I was working with just such a text that explained that the whole purpose of all those begats was to establish the lineage of Jesus and to demonstrate to the Jews exactly how he was the Messiah that was spoken of by the prohpets.  Somehow, seeing it in its historical context as a family tree made it easier for me to get through that. ^_^

Love, love, love CS Lewis. I will definitely have to look that up now! And I think I already knew that the begats were supposed to establish lineage, but I still get cross-eyed after a couple paragraphs, heh.

I love what I've read of psalms, too. There's something in there for everyone, for any and all situations.

+1 Christian nerd here   :pirate:

The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens. -Arnold Schwarzenegger

First Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39628-zombiekiller25s-first-challenge/#entry768856

At one point I was working with just such a text that explained that the whole purpose of all those begats was to establish the lineage of Jesus and to demonstrate to the Jews exactly how he was the Messiah that was spoken of by the prohpets.  Somehow, seeing it in its historical context as a family tree made it easier for me to get through that. ^_^

one thing's that's always got me about that is part of the 'prophecy' (right word to use?) about the Messiah is that he'll come from the 'Stem of Jesse' i.e. descended from King David, that's why Joseph is so important in the whole shebang... but then isn't Jesus from Virgin birth? which would surely nullify this.

This is all take from what other people have said, at some point i'll sit down and read the Bible cover to cover but any thoughts on this? is that information correct?

one thing's that's always got me about that is part of the 'prophecy' (right word to use?) about the Messiah is that he'll come from the 'Stem of Jesse' i.e. descended from King David, that's why Joseph is so important in the whole shebang... but then isn't Jesus from Virgin birth? which would surely nullify this.

This is all take from what other people have said, at some point i'll sit down and read the Bible cover to cover but any thoughts on this? is that information correct?

Actually Mary was also a descendant of King David, just through a different line (Nathan, instead of Solomon).  But it has to do with legal inheritance as much as bloodline, and because Joseph acknowledged Jesus as his legal heir, his 'birthright' (in the legal sense) was assured that way as well.

You ask good questions :)

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

naaaw shucks :) i'll be honest i got that Stem of Jesse bit from QI, it just left we wondering, it's been 7 years since i've done Religious Studies at Secondary School and the churches i've been to have never gone into the history of it all so i don't really know a great deal apart from the basics, as i said things are taken to be more literal in america, we more or less go through the motions and try to be decent people

For trying to read through the bible sometimes different versions are easier for people to grasp and digest than others. If you're still having trouble, try a new version. If you use the YouVersion app on a phone, tablet, or online, you can easily try all the versions.

Christian Nerd checking in!

I wont lie, trying spiritual times lately. I see my 11 month old daughter's smiling face and it's easy to feel God's presence and love. Once I get to work (navy), it feels like God disappears completely and the despondent drudgery of life seeps in. Most people seem more intent on making their lives as easy as possible regardless of the consequences to others... and I am just as guilty as anyone. 

Increased awareness of God in all things, that's a goal for the next 7 days. I think I am going to start setting a new spiritual goal every week. To level up spiritually! haha

I just joined this site tonight so maybe there are others who are doing something similar. If there are I'll try find you, if not then maybe some people want to join me. Not necessarily the same things but the same structure. Let me know, ill be around :)

God bless!

Hey, I'm so happy to see this thread here. :)

Vikingxfit, I'm with you in your goal fro increased awareness of God. Part of my challenge is to pray for 5 minutes every night.  When thinking about how much life was stressing me out, I realized that I really give God very little time or attention--doing too much on my own. The 5 minutes is hardly anything, but even that is making the load a little easier to bear.  Still hard to keep up, though.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping God at the center of things. I desire it, but I lack discipline, and I always think if I could just be stronger, I'd get it. But I need God's help, I can't do it alone, and no one can. I need to get back to my daily reading plans, because those small reminders every night help.

For me, Christianity is not a job.  That is to say, Christ is not a job.  It wasn't always like this for me, but in recent years it's changed.  Jesus is either a Person in my life, or not.  The Lord either loves me, or not.  It's a fact, one that I can't change.

So, what then?  I look for Him.  The more I look for Him, the more I find Him right next to me, asking me to follow Him (he was doing so all along!).  Christ is the center of my life, even when I sin, because I'm still looking for the happiness that He alone can give.

Fitness is similar for me.  It's more of a job, but I actually like eating better and getting outside for a run or some exercise.  Tomorrow I'm excited to go on a hike with a classmate and two close friends that are priests.  Yes, it won't be a walk in the park (I bought new hiking boots today too), but it'll be an adventure.  Life is an adventure, one on which Christ, through certain people in my life, has invited me to go along with Him.

Prayer isn't automatic, that's why we need to get into a habitus (like everything else!), but if I remember how much more I feel myself when I speak to Him, then it will be easy for me to pray.

For me, being Christian is simply following a preference, a preference for Christ.

Hobbit Adventurer

Indeed, Antonius.

I find this fitness journey to be a very helpful physical parallel for my spiritual development...it's hard in some of the same ways, I feel lazy in some of the same ways.  But as I've been building habits through the challenges (spiritual, dietary, and physical), I've found a growing attraction to all areas so that I do miss talking to God if I forget to pray before bed, and I occasionally find myself praying for much longer than intended--just as I've begun to desire exercise and find myself running for longer than prescribed. 

Christian nerd here! Well actually I prefer to call myself a geek :) A Jedi knight of the New Testament lol. I can't tell you how excited I am to find this thread and know there are other Christian fitness nerds like me :D

I'm still a pretty new Christian but God has been working powerfully in my life, and I'm starting a Bible college this August, one of the reasons I'm trying to get my health under control before I go :)

[ Level: 1 ][ Class: Ranger ][ Race: Weretiger ]

[ STR: 2 ][ DEX: 2 ][ STA: 3 ][ CON: 2 ][  WIS: 4 ][ CHA: 2 ]

Challenges: Tia Elle's First Challenge

1st Thessalonians 5:16-18

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." ~Darth Vader

Fat. It's what's for dinner.