I did it! I've created a standing desk!!

Well, as the title suggests I've created a standing desk. Rather than spending 8 hours on my bum at my computer/ driving (obviously I can't fix the driving thing) I am now going to stand for as much of the day as possible.

I read that people are more productive like this which is an added bonus. I felt keen to do things and moved about much more than normal but, I'm embarrased to admit that after an hour of being on my feet I was keen to have a sit down. I lasted just about all day (a few times I sat down for five minutes or so) and now I feel exhausted!

My time spent sitting at work is coupled with the lengthy time I sit when I get home so after work so I got outside and worked on the lawn for about 2 hours. I'm ready for my bed now so early night it is!

I have a problem with the way I stand while working like this though. I've got 'duck' feet that seem to point out rather than straight. Is it going to make a difference standing like this, it seems to be the most comfortable for me but I do suffer with flat feet which affects my hips, back and neck...?

It's going to take some time for your body to adjust to standing. Take sit-down, stretch, walking breaks.

And keep in mind that many "stand in one place" jobs come with a cushy rubber rug or some other type of mat. I think they make memory foam rug pads now.

Also check your shoes. You might want to try replacing the insole if it's worn, or even just upgrading to a cushier one that works with your feet.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

After leaving a job that had me working on my feet for most of the day to go back to school, I too am using a standing desk to reduce excessive sitting. In my experience, sitting down while eating a meal is a good way to give your body a short rest. Also don't be afraid to ease into the transition, like trying a couple hours a day of standing for a week, then 3 the next and so on. As for the matter of driving while sitting, you can always get a Segway. :D

Congratulations! I work from home, and I've got a standing setup that I try to use for at least a couple hours a day. Once I spend a few hours sitting or standing, I tend to want to switch to the other. Good on you for standing up the whole day! My feet always start to hurt too much for that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loden: Aiel Spearmaiden Adventurer, Lvl 2

STR: 4 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge Thread | Fitocracy

I have a problem with the way I stand while working like this though. I've got 'duck' feet that seem to point out rather than straight. Is it going to make a difference standing like this, it seems to be the most comfortable for me but I do suffer with flat feet which affects my hips, back and neck...?

Someone at some point on some thread posted a link to Kstar's vid about standing at the standing desk. The guy sounds like he's just an overgrown frat bro (and he actually kind of is, I think) but he's also pretty brilliant. This one totally changed what I thought was "good posture" and eliminated some lower back pain I was having. It's like he's magic.

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest