• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Fall Brawl for it All (a NF Virtual Powerlifting Meet!)

pisarenko.jpg

Anatoly Pisarenko

It's that time again! Every 4 months we try to have a virtual power lifting meet and it's been a little bit more than that since our last one. Yes, I know it's not actually fall yet, but I couldn't think of a better name. I'm open to suggestions and I can change the thread name if you give me a better one. Credit to chairohkey for the current one.

Anyway, during the next 2 weeks (by 9/18), take some time and test your 1RM in the Big 3, which consists of squat, bench press, and dead lift. There have also been requests to test the Super Total (Big 3 + snatch + clean & jerk) as well as to test the Big 4 (Big 3 + OHP). The sheet has columns for adding those in as well for those who want to do it, but the contest is for the Big 3.

We're using kg, so just multiply by .454 if pounds are your arbitrary mass measurement unit of choice. The sheet will include calculations using the Wilkes Formula so we can judge across age and sex as well as weight.

Everyone is welcome here, of all abilities and levels of fitness. This is all for fun and the major reason we track it is so we have a record that you can come back and check your progress against later (ok, and bragging rights). Reporting is all on the honor system, but videos are encouraged!

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

You get four attempts in each of squat, bench press and dead lift in that order (four, not three, so everyone has a better chance of making a total and having fun). Standards are page 17-20 of this, but minus the judge participation http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/IPF_rulebook_01_2011.pdf. You must do all 3 within the same workout. You're doing this on your own, so you're expected to judge yourself. Add the press and the olympic lifts onto the end should you so choose, but the official contest is for the Big 3.

The best lift in each is added to your total. Top total for each bodyweight class wins the class.

Weigh in on the morning of your lifts. If you're close to a lower weight class, it's solid gamesmanship to cut a couple of pounds so you can lift among the lighter athletes.

Generally the rules details would be IPF Raw (http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/Classic_PL_Rules.pdf), which means no squat or bench suits, no knee wraps; belts and wrist wraps are fine.

Weight classes:

Men: up to 53 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior), 59 kg, 66 kg, 74 kg, 83 kg, 93 kg, 105 kg, 120 kg, 120 kg+

Women: up to 43 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior), 47 kg, 52 kg, 57 kg, 63 kg, 72 kg, 84 kg, 84 kg +

Age categories:

15-18, 19-23, open (any age), masters 40+

Sign up (and enter your results) here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvXERrESYLUvdFpydENLQ3RMckY5SEdjYndIOVBHY1E

(Credit most of the rules writing to andygates, who put on our first midwinter muscle madness).

Prizes: The winner of the contest, which is the person with the highest total using the Wilks and McCulloch coefficients, will win a nerd fitness t-shirt. The winners of each weight class gets a nerd fitness sticker.

Edited by CoreyD

Just to be on the annoying side...

I liked the format of the last meet, where it was announced 2 weeks beforehand, and *then* there were two weeks to complete the lifts. I find it better to be able to prepare for things like this.

Regardless, I won't be participating this time around. I have two throwing competitions over the next two weeks, and 1RM are not a good way to prepare for those. Good luck everyone!

Sooooo, this weekend we'll go for 1RM maxes eh Corey?

That's the intent!

Just to be on the annoying side...

I liked the format of the last meet, where it was announced 2 weeks beforehand, and *then* there were two weeks to complete the lifts. I find it better to be able to prepare for things like this.

Regardless, I won't be participating this time around. I have two throwing competitions over the next two weeks, and 1RM are not a good way to prepare for those. Good luck everyone!

Will try to in the future, didn't want to get to close to midwinter muscle madness though. I'm going to get a schedule starting next year so that they are always 4 months apart instead of 5 1/2 and 3ish like this time.

Big 4 + snatching a broom stick... woohoo!

Men's Open @ 105kg, signing in.

--edit--

Just did the math, if I don't drink on Friday night I can probably get in on the 93kg weight class. ohyeahskinnypower

Edited by this_is_seth

Whoo! I'm in. I'll go for my lifts on the 15th, as this Saturday my gym has an open day with giveaways and discounts, so they'll be hoping to be very busy. I'll be in the women's under-63kg category, open age.

Nice, I should be re-testing my maxes at some point in the next 2 weeks as part of my program, perfect timing. Not sure if I'll be able to beat my previous total though :(

i'm in, hopefully my squat should be up a fair bit but i doubt my bench or deadlift have budged much due to falling out with benching (prefer OHP and my programming right now doesn't give me the room for bench and OHP) and i injured my finger so couldn't freaking grip properly so my deadlift'll be the same if i'm lucky :/ ah well, with the squat everything should work out a bit better

IN!!

I'm very close to 74kg. Maybe not close enough. I haven't weighed myself in a while. No big number. I'll be above my expectations if I get 4xBW for my total (660).

Oh, this sounds fun. I did a single-session total a few weeks back, so I should survive spreading max efforts out over a week or two.

Men's Open, 83kg.

Thanks for organizing this!

We doing these lifts like the previous comps? Squat, Bench, Dead in one gym session or with the inclusion of the other lifts, can they be spread out.

In that case: the first post implies a standard PL meet setup (with the exception of a 4th attempt) but should probably state explicitly that everything should be single session.

No biggie, but for clarity.

I'm in!

Should be in the 63kg women's open category. I'll probably be doing this right under the wire timewise and do this the Monday or Tuesday after the challenge because I won't have time for my challenge goal of metcon after each lifting session if I do three lifts going for a 1RM. Or really, doing three lifts at all; The only way I've been able to spend under an hour on workouts is by doing metcon in place of a third lift.

big liftin'! Hoo-ah!

Actually, I'm very interesting to see how much I've improved of my 9.5 weeks of working out.

Beginner gains go!

Looks at avatar.

You don't look like a beginner, mate.

In all seriousness, beginner gains are great. I've just been at barbell training for 5 weeks and numbers keep shooting up!