• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Fall Brawl for it All (a NF Virtual Powerlifting Meet!)

I'm in! Should be in the 63kg women's open category.

Oh well, there goes the chance of winning my category by means of having no other competitors in it. ;)

Hey, can some experienced warriors please advise of the best way to go for 1RMs? Should I warm up to it, with empty bar lifts, or some sets of mid range weights, or both?

My 3x5 working weights tend to be about 80-85% of my 1RM. From this I can kind of guess where my 1RM will be. I do my typical warm ups with slightly lower reps and do my working weight for 1 rep to warm up whenever I'm going to do heavy singles.

I plan do heavy singles leading up to my 1RM aiming for the 1RM max to be my 3rd attempt. I reserve the 4th in case I need it for a screw up or to really push my boundaries after the 3rd attempt.

For example, my 3x5 squat is 345 right now and I'm expecting 405 as my 1RM. I've testing 365 and 385 twice in the past week and feel comfortable with them. I'll likely warm up with 135 1x10, 225 1x8, 315 1x3, 345 1x1 then start doing my max tests. My planned attempts are 365, 385, 405, 415.

Like I said, I've been practicing heavy singles this week in preparation for testing my 1RM, both to get used to that kind of weight on my shoulders as well as to get a better idea of where the 1RM will be. Because I have such a good feel for where it is on my squats, I may skip the 365 attempt.

ok so ill play with you guys on saturday.

but fair warning, im not planning on taking any days off until then.

Oh quit it with the qualifiers, you'll still kick most of our asses. That's ok, everyone needs a good whooping once in awhile.

My 3x5 working weights tend to be about 80-85% of my 1RM. From this I can kind of guess where my 1RM will be. I do my typical warm ups with slightly lower reps and do my working weight for 1 rep to warm up whenever I'm going to do heavy singles.

I plan do heavy singles leading up to my 1RM aiming for the 1RM max to be my 3rd attempt. I reserve the 4th in case I need it for a screw up or to really push my boundaries after the 3rd attempt.

For example, my 3x5 squat is 345 right now and I'm expecting 405 as my 1RM. I've testing 365 and 385 twice in the past week and feel comfortable with them. I'll likely warm up with 135 1x10, 225 1x8, 315 1x3, 345 1x1 then start doing my max tests. My planned attempts are 365, 385, 405, 415.

Like I said, I've been practicing heavy singles this week in preparation for testing my 1RM, both to get used to that kind of weight on my shoulders as well as to get a better idea of where the 1RM will be. Because I have such a good feel for where it is on my squats, I may skip the 365 attempt.

Thanks for this! I was going to ask the exact same question. Should I do some sort of light work today or just active rest until Saturday?

Thanks for this! I was going to ask the exact same question. Should I do some sort of light work today or just active rest until Saturday?

I'd say some light work today, active rest tomorrow and make sure you eat well.

As for me, I have no rest days planned, unless I take Friday off. I might not depending on if I end up at CFN :D

Currently I am shooting for 215 bench 330 squat and something above 405 on DL. Because seriously I need to get into the 400s. That's 50lbs shy of the 1000lbs club if I can pull it off.

Light work unless you're like me and really recovering from your last workout. Heavy squat singles 2 workouts in a row not a great idea.

Linkage - TNation article on warming up for 1RM

Paul Carter had a post about this too, but I haven't been on LRB in a while so I might not know where to find it..

Also, there have been a few threads around these parts asking similar questions. Try a search and see if you get any good info (though, what's posted here is good info..soo..)

Really just posting to subscribe. Good luck, y'all!

Whooo! So I got a bit excited about this, and went for my 1RMs today. I was planning to have a week to practice, but then the gym wasn't as busy as I expected (they had an open day thing on), so decided to just go for it.

I've entered my results in the spreadsheet, and I wasn't sure how to record failures, so I put an X after the total, and that removed them nicely from the counting. Please let me know if I should enter those differently.

Women's open 63kg category (weighed in at 59.6kg this morning), my best lifts were 60kg on squat (132lb), 40kg on bench (88lb), 80kg on deadlift (176lb), and 27.5kg on OHP. Total 180kg on the big three (396lb). I'm number one! I'm number one! I'm.... the only person to put in data so far. *lol*

So there you go, the bar is set. Nice and low. Good luck all!

I found that fun. It was a bit mentally intimidating going for 1 rep maxes. I failed myself on the third deadlift because I started lifting it like an inch, thought "Whoo that's heavy!" and let it go again. >.< Psyched myself up, switched to that uh..alternating grip, and tried again and got it. New personal bests on each lift, and hit my bodyweight on squat, which is nice.

I think I need more practice going for that explosive pushing up you need for the max lifts. I think I tended to go a bit too slow and careful.

PS - Thanks all for the warmup advice! :)

Edited by Athena
PS

Oh well, there goes the chance of winning my category by means of having no other competitors in it. ;)

Hey, can some experienced warriors please advise of the best way to go for 1RMs? Should I warm up to it, with empty bar lifts, or some sets of mid range weights, or both?

New personal bests on each lift, and hit my bodyweight on squat, which is nice.

Congrats! And heh. I've just barely managed to hit BW on squats myself, though my bench is absurdly good.

Edited by weirdquark

well i've already managed to get 5kg off my old PB's for bench and deadlift for some singles (on separate days) despite doing them both after at least 45mins of other heavy stuff, i have high hopes for new PB's :D

Men's 83kg open! This is going to be a great incentive to learn how to ask for a spotter in French (:

I'll do the deload round (a.k.a. "week 4") of my current Wendler cycle and hit this toward the end of the week. Oh it's like waiting for Christmas.

Edited by illc

As a boxing fan, am I the only person in here reminded of a Michael Spinks fight by the title of the meet (a title unification fight w/Dwight Muhammad Qawi, IIRC) ? :)

awesome day yesterday lifting with everyone.

can't wait for bigm to load the pictures.

lots of pr's all around (2 for me, seth, tinman, 1 for coreyd, icedtrip, nightlight, and im sure a lot more that i can't think of right now because i'm on about 4 hours of sleep :) )

bigm and i have decided to do overhead press and snatch and clean and jerk maxes tomorrow. today... is not the best day for it :)

Edited by spezzy