Calorie Range

Happienumber

Ok I know this question is probably asked WAY too much but I did search the forums and didn't find exactly my answer.

I'm trying to figure out a good calorie range to have energy+loose some weight.

Now weight loss is not my primary concern, it's fitness and body composition. But I certainly could stand to loose a few pounds [i am at the upper range of "ok" and even if I replace this fat with some muscle, I know I won't stay at this heavy of a weight with the BF% that I want.]

My goals are ordered like this: 1. Functional strength 2. Muscular Endurance 3. Cardio Endurance 4. Body Fat % 5. Body weight.

So it's kind of the last on my fitness goal list but it's still there. Currently I'm 165 pounds, 5'9", 28% BF. I'm hoping to get down to >20% BF, and a corresponding weight. I don't really have a number for this, 145lbs seems good [it's in the exact middle of the "healthy weight" for my height] but I don't know how heavy my muscles are going to be at that point. So if i'm >20% BF I don't really care what the scale says.

As for calorie expenditure, I've tried a bunch of online calculators to determine my BMR but they are SO different from one another I have a hard time trusting any of them. I don't know what it works out to calorie wise, but I usually do 300-500 points on fitocracy every day, body weight strength training, running, and kettlebell. I had been eating 1200 calories a day a while back [like a year ago] in an attepmt to loose weight [before I knew about body composition, or really cared for that matter]. I know now that this was WAY too low, as I was freezing cold and exhausted all the time. Couldn't work out. Just BLAH. I upped to 1500 lately but since starting a whole30 I find my body is naturally eating 1700-1900 daily to feel full. I really have no idea what range i should be shooting for. I want to have enough fuel, but I don't want to be maintaining either.

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Doesn't Whole30 instruct you to ignore calories? I say you write down what you're eating but don't calculate until you finish your month. See how you feel and if you're moving in the right direction no need to change anything.
Hmmm I don't remember reading that on the whole30 site, but it's very possible I missed it. Thank you for pointing that out!

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

If you are keen on getting a calorie number that fits you, track your food for a week and see what you're consuming. Weigh yourself at beginning and end of week to see the effect on your weight. If your weight didn't change, you were consuming about the same number of calories you burn. If you want a more accurate number, do it for two weeks.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I once tried to lose weight by cutting calories and running every day. The running was awesome, and doing it that often in such nice weather (early summer) got me hooked! BUT, only eating 1700 calories was way too few for me, apparently. I was falling asleep at work constantly and just dragging myself around everywhere, it seemed. And 1700 was a conservative number, according to Sparkpeople.com for a person my age and weight. Once I stopped restricting and just ate food, I felt so much better. I think it's hard to do, but it's probably best if you can just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're not. If you feel like that doesn't work for you at this point, maybe try working your way down to a more restricted caloric intake by starting out eating like you do now, then cutting 50-100 calories a week 'til you find a point where you're losing weight but maintaining your energy, like a bit of trial and error. It might take longer, but you'll probably feel better/get more lasting results that way.

I think it's hard to do, but it's probably best if you can just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're not. If you feel like that doesn't work for you at this point, maybe try working your way down to a more restricted caloric intake by starting out eating like you do now, then cutting 50-100 calories a week 'til you find a point where you're losing weight but maintaining your energy, like a bit of trial and error. It might take longer, but you'll probably feel better/get more lasting results that way.

Yeah I think this is what I'm going to try. The funny thing is that I tried the second method you mentioned, and I NEVER lost any weight. I stayed at one range [2100, 1900, 1700, 1500, 1200, and then back up again] fora month each and never lost even half a pound in ANY range. This was a couple years ago, and I know I was eating bad crap. So I think in changing the makeup of my diet rather than just the number of calories might make better difference. As Philociraptor recommended, I'm going to see what happens after my whole30. If i've lost anything at all, I'll stay just doing what I'm doing and stop counting at all. I'm not really TRYING to count calories during my whole30 but the app I use to track my macronutrients also gives me a calorie total.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr