A silly question....

I have started building new habits... a bit at a time... and it is working!! Getting out the door to go for a 5 Km walk is getting easier (i think the getting my pj's off and getting dressed as soon as i am up is playing a major role in it).

a bit of background knowledge...

I discovered back in march that i have metabolic syndrome and also PCOS (and a fatty liver to make things even better!). I take meds for my insulin resistance and since then have been working on my diet (lost 20Kg so far! yay me!!) and I've decided it is time to start exercising some.

Here's the thing tho... Today is day 4 of the whole 5 Km walk. I started small tho with the Hacker's diet (a set of exercises that increase difficulty slowly) and i am using the exercise routine as a warm up.

I live by the beach so i am walking along the beach and it is quite pleasant, but yesterday and today, around Km 3 i felt my hands tingly and swollen (to the point two of the rings i wear regularly -and are quite lose due to my weight loss- were tight to the point of not coming off)

I raised my arms while walking and stretched it some and it got a bit better for a while but as soon as i lowered my hands again it got all weird again.

The last couple of days have been warmer (it was 40C - 104F out today and about 35C - 95F yesterday). I don't know if the heat has anything to do with it and i keep thinking about it and can't find a reasonable explanation.

The fact that when i raise my arms it gets a bit better makes me think it is some sort of circulation issue... and i don't really want to walk 5 Km looking like a dork with arms raised up in the air...

I've been back from my walk for 30 minutes and only now my hands are going back to normal :nevreness:

Any ideas? suggestions? reasonable explanations?

Thanks!!!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

No questions are silly here! Warmth and dehydration does this for me, hands and feet gets swollen, and have done since my young teens. I'm normal BMI and reasonable healthy. I don't know the exact reasons, but I just don't worry about it and if it gets uncomfortable, raise my hands a bit and get them more active to help circulation. Drink more water! Before and if possible during your walk, 35-40C is very hot!

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

Thanks Maria! I did drink about 3 glasses of water before leaving the house and had a 500 mL bottle with me that came back empty... i'll try to drink some more tomorrow and see if it helps!

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Being Brazilian, i deal with hot weather quite well, but that might be the problem.... It's been at least 10 years since i exercised regularly... so my body is probably not used to the heat + exercise anymore

A friend of mine showed me this article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-swelling/AN01403

I think i will try more water tomorrow... and then try some forward and backward arm circles the day after...

Thank you so much for your responses!

So, i consistently drank water before going out and also drank a liter of water while exercising... It wasn't too bad (it wasn't too hot either) i still had the tingly sensation but it was way less than yesterday. I did some forward and back cycles with my arms and stretched and all... it got a bit better :)

Thank you all so much!!

What I do, and what seems to help, is holding something in my hands.

I have special hard foam handles to hold, but for example a stress ball works as well.

My mom said it was because of your hands hanging down or whatever.

Generally just keeping your elbows bent and holding something... it has worked for me.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I haven't tried holding anything in my hands yet... so far walking with my hands leveled to my elbows seems to be the most effective!